Question about 1.1
Just something I wanted to ask.

I noticed when 1.1 was in development, people were very concerned about retaining the key features of AC, such as simplistic gameplay and weaponry. One thing I wanted to know is if 1.1 sacrifices what is to me the most important part - the ability to play on low latency connections.

I am constantly experiencing glitching, lagging, and ridiculous jumps in ping and PJ throughout games which makes it almost unplayable. I still play 1.0 and this never happens - which makes me wonder what I am going to do if the 1.0 servers are ever taken down.

Is anyone else experiencing this? It would be very disappointing if the very thing that made me love this game so much - the 40MB download, ability to play on wireless - wasn't going to be considered in future versions.

-Cactus
Thanks given by:
Brahma Wrote:5.a) Less bandwidth load! (dial up FTW!)
5.b) more cpu load :P

Now if someone could explain what's the difference between 1.1 and 1.0.4 on this point, would be nice ;)
Thanks given by:
Same here with 1.1: lag, lag, lag... And no idea why...

P@ndel
Thanks given by:
yer i lag like a mofo in 1.1
way worse then 1.0
Thanks given by:
Good to see I'm not the only one concerned about it. It annoys me how lots of people are all 'omg the 1.0 master server should be shut down' when people like me probably won't even be able to play at all without it.
Thanks given by:
I too, am one of the people affected by such and experience choppiness in gameplay as well (although not to the extent that 1.1 is unplayable). It would be nice if the devs collected player's specs before the next release, so they would know what would be too choppy and acceptably choppy.
Thanks given by:
Is there noticeable drop in framerate? By how much?
I get this too, not network lag but slow graphics, especially if I turn off dynamic shadows. Yes, strange, with dynshadows on I get 60-140fps with dynshadow off I get 70-90 fps.
Thanks given by:
no one is listening
Thanks given by:
for me it's more, players I play against are laggy when they are near. Not about FPS
Thanks given by:
Your experience is strange, considering the changes in the source code.
Most of those changes dealt with memory conservation and enhancing the speed of calculations, as well as the communication between server and client. Honestly, due to those changes, I'd expect 1.1 to be less laggy than 1.0.

It might have something to do with the extra load of the anti-cheat system, but I'm not fully sure of how it works, so I couldn't say what about it needs to change. Maybe y'all should just quit cheating. :-P
Thanks given by:
(19 Sep 10, 04:13PM)DES|V-Man Wrote: Your experience is strange, considering the changes in the source code.
Most of those changes dealt with memory conservation and enhancing the speed of calculations, as well as the communication between server and client. Honestly, due to those changes, I'd expect 1.1 to be less laggy than 1.0.

(19 Sep 10, 04:13PM)DES|V-Man Wrote: but I'm not fully sure of how it works

Nice...

P@ndel
Thanks given by:
My FPS with the same graphic configuration : 15-45 in 1.0.4 and 25-60 in 1.1. So i think there is an improvement concerning graphics.
Thanks given by:
Ever since I updated my graphics in my Mac software through the "Software Update" my fps has been getting even better than 1.0's. Maybe it would now be better in 1.0? O.o
Thanks given by:
Right. FPS should definitely be better in 1.1 due to the changes I mentioned.
The issue (what I was referring to when I said "I'm not fully sure of how it works") is network latency, i.e. how long it takes for information to travel between servers and clients.
Thanks given by:
Sorry for the late reply.

(19 Sep 10, 04:13PM)DES|V-Man Wrote: Most of those changes dealt with memory conservation and enhancing the speed of calculations, as well as the communication between server and client. Honestly, due to those changes, I'd expect 1.1 to be less laggy than 1.0.

I agree.

(18 Sep 10, 10:11AM)Luc@s Wrote: Now if someone could explain what's the difference between 1.1 and 1.0.4 on this point, would be nice ;)

In 1.1, the size of the position packet is about 9-10, in 1.0 it is about 14-15... Thanks to stef, because he created a bit compression tool, but this bit compression tool uses a lot of operations (more cpu usage). Idk if this affect old systems (increasing the FPS), but I think it shouldn't affect. There was another reduction in the shot packet too.

The 1.1 have dozens of changes in relation to 1.0 (which increases CPU LOAD), and no change in client side is related to anticheats. All anticheats are server side.

(19 Sep 10, 02:03AM)XFA Wrote: yer i lag like a mofo in 1.1
way worse then 1.0

This can be explained by the conjunction of "more cpu load" and a "stupid enhancement" I did in the position packet to reduce it by 1-2 bytes. This last one CAN affects the overall smoothness of the movement IF the lagger is YOU, but this is not always true (because we tested a lot before make the change). Anyway, this "enhancement" is better handled in the 1.1.0.3 (trunk), but you need to play it in hte pubs to feel it (which will not happen until the next release).

(19 Sep 10, 04:13PM)DES|V-Man Wrote: It might have something to do with the extra load of the anti-cheat system, but I'm not fully sure of how it works, so I couldn't say what about it needs to change. Maybe y'all should just quit cheating. :-P

(19 Sep 10, 02:58PM)Gibstick Wrote: Is there noticeable drop in framerate? By how much?
I get this too, not network lag but slow graphics, especially if I turn off dynamic shadows. Yes, strange, with dynshadows on I get 60-140fps with dynshadow off I get 70-90 fps.

The anticheats do not affect the client side FPS. All anticheats are server side.
It is needed a "bird's eye view" to check all the points were it is dropping the FPS. But again, anticheats are not related to this.
Thanks given by:
ah thanks for the explanation ;)
Thanks given by: