Bad Framerate
I normally get about 60FPS with vsync, but I have to force it in Intel's settings. When I record with FRAPS, it drops to about 17. I've got 4 threads, I don't know why this is such an issue. Any suggestions? For example, I get 45 FPS in Skyrim while recording.
Thanks given by:
Why not just disable vsync?
Thanks given by:
(17 Dec 15, 07:34AM)Marti Wrote: Why not just disable vsync?
Because that eats more juice from my battery. If I limit the framerate, the hardware doesn't render additional frames, thus saving power. Plus, it's smoother. vsync isn't related to the problem. The problem is that normally, FRAPS doesn't have an impact on framerate. In NoobCube, it pretty much beats the crap out of my framerate and leaves it bleeding on the floor.
Thanks given by:
Are you sure to launch the game with the good graphic card? Sometimes the game is not recognized and is launched by integrated graphics.
Also, I am sure it's better to lock the framerate from the ingame command which is "/maxfps", just type /maxfps 60.

Now to answear to your question, the FPS drop is a storage issue, it is hard for the same HDD to do different demanding tasks at the same time, to fix this issue, you must save the recordings on a different storage OR create a virtual partition and save the recordings on it.
Thanks given by:
I am only on integrated (Dell Latitude 3340) and I tryed the in-game limiter and it doesn't work. And how the **** is it a storage issue? I get a 0FPS drop WHILE RECORDING in Skyrim, Need For Speed, Battlefield, Halo, GTAIV, and other games. It is definitely NOT a storage issue. I have a 2TB SSD. So in reply to your incredibly inaccurate and falsified information, I'm going to say you have no clue what you're talking about.
Thanks given by:
Does the drop occur on all maps?
Thanks given by:
(17 Dec 15, 07:59PM)+f0r3v3r+ Wrote: Does the drop occur on all maps?

Yes, it does. It's not a hardware issue, my laptop is definitely powerful enough. With VSync disabled I get 250+ FPS.
Thanks given by:
(17 Dec 15, 09:25AM)ZS/Horse Wrote: I am only on integrated (Dell Latitude 3340) and I tryed the in-game limiter and it doesn't work. And how the **** is it a storage issue? I get a 0FPS drop WHILE RECORDING in Skyrim, Need For Speed, Battlefield, Halo, GTAIV, and other games. It is definitely NOT a storage issue. I have a 2TB SSD. So in reply to your incredibly inaccurate and falsified information, I'm going to say you have no clue what you're talking about.

Wow, I've never seen a Dell Latitude 3340 mounted with a SSD that costs twice his price but let's pretend I did not see that. Even if it's true, some SSD aren't that better than HDD for Fraps anyway.

Well, you are clearly the one here who has no clue what you are talking about. Let me re-explain you "like if" you were retarded.

To start, I'd like to say that, around 5 years ago I've had the exact same issue with AssaultCube (note the 20 FPS), and I did not come on this forum, crying and beeing agressive toward people who tried to help, because I fixed the issue. I admit, it was such a hard issue to point out and I tried a few things that did not help me at all, same thing for my two friends who were also trying to figure out how to not lag as hell while recording. Then we founded a video explaining why such a thing was often occuring and how to properly fix it, we did it, that worked.

In all the Fraps recommandation you will find, it will always say to record on a dedicated device, the best is to have a whole piece of hardware dedicated to the writting of the recordings. If you can't, then a few options are offered to you, you can write on an external device but it is often bad because you must carry a device able to write really fast since Fraps recording size per second is huge, USB3.0+ for HD+ videos (it also depends of the framerates per seconds of the recording of course). But the best option is still to create a virtual partition as I said earlier.

I've found this thing saying the same things than me in overall, it's complete and you should look at it even if it's from 2013, anyway Fraps is part of the old times, now that graphic card's drivers are able to save videos without any lags, huge size, quality drop or any issues in overall.

You have 4 threads, how many cores do you have? Maybe it will gives us some additional informations that might help. Fraps barely uses more than a single core.

Now before you dare to open your mouth one more time saying what I told you is wrong, I ask you to at least give it a go and tell me if it works or not. And no need to be agressive.
Thanks given by:
Actually v-sync IS your problem. your framerate will be capped at 60fps with v-sync on, and any additional programs like fraps will make it drop lower. FRAPS DOES have a (big) impact on framerate. Also, v-sync doesn't affect battery consumption unless the FPS is greater than your refresh rate. Try turning v-sync off, then /maxfps 60, then use FRAPS.

-Also I agree with ExodusS. I find it hard to believe you have a $1,000 hard drive in a $400 laptop with integrated graphics.
If that is the case though, it does show that you have no idea wtf you're talking about. Because anyone who knows anything about computers would spend that money on a smaller drive, and maybe an external PCIe gpu, or at least an i5 upgrade. Just sayin'
Thanks given by:
Well, the Samsung SSD was only $800, and the laptop was $1200. I popped in a 32GB USB 3.0 drive and tried recording on that - and nothing new happened. I bought another laptop, a Dell Inspiron 17R with 4 cores and 8 threads with 8GB of RAM. It has a secondary HDD slot, so I put the 500GB WD Scorpio Blue that came with the 3340 and tried recording - no change. My hard drive is not the issue. I also uncapped my framerate by disabling Intel vSync and used /maxfps, which did absolutely nothing. My FPS with this 17R is about 500, and FRAPS knocks it down to 17. I tried th elatest revision of FRAPS, no change. I think it's an AC problem.
Thanks given by:
So much money and it's still shit.. You bought some quality m8
Thanks given by:
why the fuck are you using fraps though... (also probably an illegal version)
Thanks given by:
I've got a gtx780 in my rig with an ssd as well. I've tried fraps and I very much dislike it because of how unoptomized it is with ac (and a few other games). With fraps, I'll get around 140 fps. Without, hundreds of frames. It doesn't matter how other games do it as every game will behave differently, especially on INTEGRATED graphics. Try a better recorder but if you're concerned about battery life, why are you straining your PC with recording software anyways?
Thanks given by:
suggest a better recorder... I am interested because I use Fraps, and yes, it IS an illegal version.
Thanks given by:
use OBS (Open Broadcaster Software), it's open source.
Thanks given by:
I bought FRAPS. It was like $40. I use FRAPS because I paid for it.
Thanks given by:
why the hell would you pay for it? lol geez. FRAPS is ancient and the devs only update every few years. No way I will pay for software that developers aren't committed to.

*Edit: Thanks for the suggestion MPx, downloading now.
Thanks given by:
(02 Feb 16, 08:00PM)Boomhauer Wrote: why the hell would you pay for it? lol geez. FRAPS is ancient and the devs only update every few years. No way I will pay for software that developers aren't committed to.

*Edit: Thanks for the suggestion MPx, downloading now.

I paid for it in 2011, plus free updates.
Thanks given by:
So at least you've gotten one significant update in 5 years. In 2013. lol. Anyway, I think Fraps is what's wrong. You need to completely delete it and it's configuration files and reinstall it clean. It's NOT AC if you're getting 500+ fps. And it's likely not your pc since it's running AC fine on it's on. Only leaves one thing. Clean install of FRAPS. Or try the OBS MPx mentioned. downloaded it a little while ago. It's not bad. A whole lot less laggy than FRAPS is anyway.
Thanks given by:
(02 Feb 16, 11:13PM)Boomhauer Wrote: Only leaves one thing. Clean install of FRAPS. Or try the OBS MPx mentioned. downloaded it a little while ago. It's not bad. A whole lot less laggy than FRAPS is anyway.

Or maybe do what I suggested at the first place. OBS should indirectly fix the issue since it's obviously from a HDD problem and OBS can save lightweight files in MP4 that might not mess up the writting/transferts of files, in counterpart you will have a recording quality loss because Fraps saving format (AVI) is heavy yet perfect.

Anyway, on a side note:
[Image: Npydk.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Just reinstalled Windows, and trying out that open recorder thing. We'll see what happens.
Thanks given by: