How to install mods?
Don't tell me I'm supposed to read the docs, because I already did, and they didn't do anything.

Every time I edit the AssaultCube launcher, I get a message saying "Access is denied."

Is there a way I can install my mods without having to replace files?
Thanks given by:
So you are still dealing with the permissions?
Thanks given by:
(07 Nov 15, 03:33PM)MPx Wrote: So you are still dealing with the permissions?

Just one in particular. The map saving permission's been fixed, just this one hasn't.
Thanks given by:

As for your specific issue in this thread:
I would guess that the reason you are denied the ability to write to the launcher, is that you don't have permissions on the file to write to it. Please check the properties of the file carefully for this.

To be clear, file permissions issues are not an AssaultCube problem, but an Operating System issue.
Thanks given by:
I'm using Windows. No, the doc doesn't explain ANYTHING about it denying the permission.
Thanks given by:
What are you using ?

Screenshot of the error, of your folder's permission/ location etc ...

The more you give the more we'll be able to help you.
Thanks given by:
C:\Program Files(x86)
On AssaultCube folder, right click and choose 'Properties', then go to 'Security' tab and click on 'Edit' and now you can change the permission of the folder by click on grant or deny. It's up to you.
Thanks given by: +f0r3v3r+
(07 Nov 15, 11:34PM)BluffCreek Wrote: ....the doc doesn't explain ANYTHING about it denying the permission.

I guess the title of the thread should be "How to change properties of folders in Windows" instead of "How to install Mods"

Though this makes me wonder if we should make a help thread or add a section of the Documentation explaining the folder locations and hierarchies of the game installation and a basic explanation of folder permissions.
Thanks given by: CharlyMurphie , BluffCreek , Padfoot
(08 Nov 15, 02:23AM)+f0r3v3r+ Wrote: Though this makes me wonder if we should make a help thread or add a section of the Documentation explaining the folder locations and hierarchies of the game installation and a basic explanation of folder permissions.

That sounds like it could be useful, actually.

(08 Nov 15, 02:07AM)MPx Wrote: C:\Program Files(x86)
On AssaultCube folder, right click and choose 'Properties', then go to 'Security' tab and click on 'Edit' and now you can change the permission of the folder by click on grant or deny. It's up to you.

You didn't specify what I should grant or deny.
Thanks given by:
Mate, if English isn't your first language, I would suggest installing an operating system in your native language. If you are having trouble understanding the words you see when you access the security tab, I would suggest http://www.dictionary.com or http://translate.google.com. If you're unsure how to get the correct permissions, I would use www.google.com. MPx is letting you make decisions on your own computer. If you lack the capacity to make your own decisions, I would suggest that you ask your parents or ask a court to nominate someone who can fulfill that capacity for you. If you wish to learn more about computers, I would suggest taking a class at your high school or your local community college.

We are more than happy to help other users with assaultcube. However, please keep in mind that there are a lot of trolls who may give you wrong instructions and we may or may not be able to get to the information in time to delete it or otherwise discredit it. Also, everyone here works purely on a volunteer basis in our free time. We can simply choose not to help you for any reason, including if we just simply can't be arsed to. To get more community volunteers, I would suggest that you:

1) Post in the correct forum (Help! or Mapping and Modding). If you post in Off-Topic, many people will assume that you are just trolling.
2) Read the documentation thoroughly. We are more likely to help you if you have read the documentation and have questions as to what it is you do not understand. This demonstrates that you have done some research, and we will be more than happy to point you in the right direction. The documentation is there for a reason. If you continue to ignore documentation instead of reading it and asking questions about it, more and more people will ignore you. However, if you ask questions about the documentation, we can work towards clarifying parts of the documentation so that users will be better able to understand them.
3) Don't berate users and troll. So far, you have said that assaultcube isn't realistic because
a) Lack of death barriers
b) No fall damage.
Please keep in mind that assaultcube was designed with particular specifications. If assaultcube is not the game you have in mind, I would suggest you to pursue other games.
Thanks given by: Graziano , +f0r3v3r+
(08 Nov 15, 05:20AM)Mousikos Wrote: TL;DR
English WAS my first language.

AssaultCube was the game I was looking for. And like other games, people are allowed to submit ideas. To you, it seems like you're accusing me of saying that AssaultCube is unrealistic without providing proof I even did.

I am not berating or trolling users, provide evidence if you think I did.

Fine, I'll remember to post in the help section.

I have read the documentation thoroughly, they never mentioned if there were going to be permission stuff hindering me from allowing me to make it load the mods.

Also, I wouldn't be "berating" people, had they actually given me some sort of guidance positively or at least not berate me
Thanks given by:
maybe mapping and modding isn't your thing

(08 Nov 15, 05:25AM)BluffCreek Wrote: English WAS my first language.

also do you mean english IS my first language?
Thanks given by: Graziano
(08 Nov 15, 05:26AM)champo Wrote: maybe mapping and modding isn't your thing

Nobody asked for your help.
Thanks given by:
who said i'm helping :))

also nice bio
http://imgur.com/jUysKXd
Thanks given by:
(08 Nov 15, 05:25AM)BluffCreek Wrote:
(08 Nov 15, 05:20AM)Mousikos Wrote: TL;DR
English WAS my first language.

AssaultCube was the game I was looking for. And like other games, people are allowed to submit ideas. To you, it seems like you're accusing me of saying that AssaultCube is unrealistic without providing proof I even did.

I am not berating and trolling users, provide evidence if you think I did.

Fine, I'll remember to post in the help section.

So English used to be your first language, but now it isn't? There is only one first mate.

If assaultcube is indeed the game you're looking for, welcome to the game. If you need a quote saying it's unrealistic, I would suggest you consider looking at two of your following posts:
http://forum.cubers.net/thread-8574-post...#pid169129
http://forum.cubers.net/thread-8574-post...#pid169134

If you didn't mean to imply that Assaultcube is not realisitic, then maybe you should choose your words more carefully.

If you are not trolling, please tell me why you ignore people's suggestions to read the documentation?

But let's tackle the English problem first. Since English happens to be your first language. My copy of Windows 7 is also in English. If Windows 7 isn't your current operating system, please let us know.

This is what I see why I follow MPx's instructions:
http://i.imgur.com/dA16ss0.png

May I ask which words you are having trouble understanding?
Thanks given by:
(08 Nov 15, 05:32AM)champo Wrote: who said i'm helping :))
Nobody needed to. I don't need help right now anyway. I can't ask a simple question without getting berated at.
Thanks given by:
(08 Nov 15, 05:38AM)BluffCreek Wrote:
Nobody needed to. I don't need help right now anyway. I can't ask a simple question without getting berated at.

Hey now, I'm not trying to berate you. I'm trying to figure out at what point you are getting stuck at. If we need to go back a step and look at documentation, feel free to do so. Just tell me what sentence you don't understand, and exactly where it is. We'll tackle this together.

However, if you don't need help, well. Cheers and have fun modding!
Thanks given by:
Reading people grappling with this guy is sustaining me through my finals. Ty friends.
Thanks given by: Padfoot , Z3R0
Why do my posts get removed but some other bs gets to stay

Bitchesssss
Thanks given by: Flint , Z3R0
Guys, stop wasting your time on this troll. If he had done, what I told him days ago (install the game with the proper option selected), he would not have any problems.

BTW - anyone advising to "change permissions" is giving false help. There is no need to change the files installed by the game, ever. If you want to mod something, put it in your personal folder, it takes precedence.
Thanks given by:
(08 Nov 15, 05:26AM)champo Wrote: maybe mapping and modding isn't your thing

(08 Nov 15, 05:25AM)BluffCreek Wrote: English WAS my first language.

also do you mean english IS my first language?

No, I'm learning other languages too.

(08 Nov 15, 03:04PM)stef Wrote: Guys, stop wasting your time on this troll. If he had done, what I told him days ago (install the game with the proper option selected), he would not have any problems.

BTW - anyone advising to "change permissions" is giving false help. There is no need to change the files installed by the game, ever. If you want to mod something, put it in your personal folder, it takes precedence.
Like I said. I reinstalled the game with the 2nd option, then it works. I can save maps, but the only thing that hadn't changed was the permissions.

(08 Nov 15, 05:42AM)Mousikos Wrote:
(08 Nov 15, 05:38AM)BluffCreek Wrote:

Hey now, I'm not trying to berate you. I'm trying to figure out at what point you are getting stuck at. If we need to go back a step and look at documentation, feel free to do so. Just tell me what sentence you don't understand, and exactly where it is. We'll tackle this together.

However, if you don't need help, well. Cheers and have fun modding!
Hey now, you were accusing me of saying AC was unrealistic without providing evidence I even did.

Besides, if you're trying to figure out what point I'm getting stuck at, you can be less of a jerk about it.

(08 Nov 15, 05:37AM)Mousikos Wrote: If Windows 7 isn't your current operating system, please let us know.

I use Windows 10. Finally, we're getting somewhere.

also nice bio
http://imgur.com/jUysKXd

I don't think a bio is really important. Besides, what's so important about it to you?
Thanks given by:
(08 Nov 15, 08:02PM)BluffCreek Wrote: No, I'm learning other languages too.
[/quote]
http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/first
[quote='stef' pid='169168' dateline='1446991486']
Good point I forgot about that.

(08 Nov 15, 08:02PM)BluffCreek Wrote: Hey now, you were accusing me of saying AC was unrealistic without providing evidence I even did.
http://forum.cubers.net/thread-8574-post...#pid169134
http://forum.cubers.net/thread-8574-post...#pid169129

(08 Nov 15, 08:02PM)BluffCreek Wrote: I use Windows 10. Finally, we're getting somewhere.
http://www.tenforums.com/general-discuss...thing.html

But I refer you back to stef's post. He posted the CORRECT way to do it. Which, by the way, happens to be in the documentation you like reading so much: https://assault.cubers.net/docs/mods.html

I'm not berating you. I like helping people, but I don't like bullshit. I'm giving you your options.

Can't read English? Get your computer in a language you can read or get a teacher.
Don't know what some of the words mean? Use a dictionary.
Can't make decisions? Ask someone to make them for you that you trust, not a bunch of random people on the internet.
Don't know enough about computers? Either google your issue or take a copmuter class.

And since you didn't see to read the links I posted to, you implied AC was unrealistic by not having death barriers and fall damage. So I guess I can say this too:

Can read the words but can't understand anything? Take a class.
Don't know how to communicate what you're trying to say? Take a class.

I'm not berating you, I'm goal-oriented. You have a problem? I'll show you how to fix it. You want me to do it for you? Sure, no problem. My rate is $60 fixed, nonrefundable fee plus $30/hour. Can't afford it? Go find someone else and stop bugging everyone.
Thanks given by:
I am not backing Buffcreek up I'm just saying that in assaultcube's description it says that it takes place in realistic environments http://assault.cubers.net/ just saying that I hardly call a world made of cubes where you can jump off a 50ft building and survive or not drown in water, "a realistic environment".

I am not ridiculing the game I like the game how it is but there is always room for improvement. I bet the AC engine hasn't been re-written in at least seven years.

I also understand that the game is not fully meant to be realistic but then don't claim that it is.

I can list loads of games that I like that are unrealistic:

-Minecraft
-Call of Duty bo3
-Halo 5
It just goes on.
Thanks given by:
(11 Nov 15, 04:57PM)Thekillerjoe Wrote: I hardly call a world made of cubes where you can jump off a 50ft building and survive or not drown in water, "a realistic environment".

that's why these things are inexistent in all of assaultcube's official maps
Thanks given by:
(11 Nov 15, 04:57PM)Thekillerjoe Wrote: I am not backing Buffcreek up I'm just saying that in assaultcube's description it says that it takes place in realistic environments http://assault.cubers.net/ just saying that I hardly call a world made of cubes where you can jump off a 50ft building and survive or not drown in water, "a realistic environment".

I am not ridiculing the game I like the game how it is but there is always room for improvement. I bet the AC engine hasn't been re-written in at least seven years.

I also understand that the game is not fully meant to be realistic but then don't claim that it is.

I can list loads of games that I like that are unrealistic:

-Minecraft
-Call of Duty bo3
-Halo 5
It just goes on.
Thank you.
Thanks given by:
(11 Nov 15, 07:03PM)Marti Wrote: that's why these things are nonexistent in all of assaultcube's official maps

FTFY
Thanks given by:
(11 Nov 15, 11:26PM)Mousikos Wrote: FTFY

in·ex·is·tent (ĭn′ĭg-zĭs′tənt)
adj.
Having no existence; nonexistent.
Thanks given by:
(11 Nov 15, 11:26PM)Mousikos Wrote:
(11 Nov 15, 07:03PM)Marti Wrote: that's why these things are nonexistent in all of assaultcube's official maps

FTFY

Inexistent is a word too. (According to the dictionary.)
Thanks given by:
My bad. I've never heard of that word in my life.
Thanks given by: Marti
No worries. Everybody makes mistakes.
Thanks given by: