Poll: Should this map blacklist be used? (See list in post below)
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Yes! Ban them all!
33.33%
5 33.33%
Maybe leave out SWAT and KitchenZZ?
13.33%
2 13.33%
Maybe you could leave out some of the better editions?
6.67%
1 6.67%
But I love Camper and TwinTowers maps!!!
26.67%
4 26.67%
WTF is this about again?
20.00%
3 20.00%
Total 15 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Map Blacklist Inquiry
I have gone back and forth for some time over the idea of restricting map choices in order to preserve the overall experience in our servers, and I decided I wanted to get some community feedback regarding this.

While I really like the idea of people having the right to freedom of choice, I know there are a lot of maps of questionable quality that get voted mid-game quite frequently.

Often these maps are passed to the dismay of many experienced players.

In light of this, I did some preliminary work to create a list of maps that seem to be revered by many players, and yet cause revulsion for many more.
The proposed list isn't yet used, and may not get used at all. But I figure I will share it here for server owners who may decide this is a good choice for their use, in any case.

Whether or not it is ever used, I wanted to invoke opinions from the community here to get a better feel for the potential response to additions to our map blacklist.
Thanks given by:
ac_swamp??
Thanks given by: Million , +f0r3v3r+
My script had a slip, forgive me. XD
Thanks given by:
How about a script (server side) that allow players to vote for custom maps on the last minute remaining only?
and... when a player call a vote and the vote passed, the player have to wait one match (or 15 minutes) to vote again?
Thanks given by:
troll :P
Thanks given by:
(03 Feb 16, 07:06PM)MPx Wrote: How about a script (server side) that allow players to vote for custom maps on the last minute remaining only?
and... when a player call a vote and the vote passed, the player have to wait one match (or 15 minutes) to vote again?

That would require modifications to the source code.

Thanks f0r3v3r for compiling this list.
Thanks given by: +f0r3v3r+
Should have a server switch that modifies map votes that don't occur within the first 5 minutes or so to automatically become /setnext votes as to not disturb current gameplay.

As far as blocking maps though, I think it will simply drive traffic away from your own servers as players are going to keep playing the maps regardless.
Thanks given by: +f0r3v3r+
Likewise, it is clear people have no problems simply renaming the maps, either.

To clarify, I really don't intend to implement such a list or to chase the continual maintenance that enforcing such a list would require. (Unless an overwhelming amount of people believe it would be the right thing to do.)

I do prefer that people have their freedom to choose.

The topic of map restriction and this genre of maps, so to speak, does interest me as it is a hot button with which I see a big rift in the community about.
So I wholeheartedly appreciate people taking the time to share their thoughts here, regardless of how they feel.
I genuinely am interested in hearing the opinions of the community on this subject.

So, please, cubers... Speak up! =)
(Likewise, thank you to those who have shared their thoughts with me so far)
Thanks given by:
I am sure this was brought up in other threads xd

how come its taken so long for anyone to respond.

Heck maps like swat should be banned and burned.........tooo much resource used

hold on who compiled that list ?
Thanks given by:
Well... That list was really just the result of me playing around with text-processing in terminal and needing an objective to use for practice. (Part of why the post I made originally had several maps that should have never been included (Such as shad's ac_swazy - sorry shad =( As well as ac_swamp))
No one wants to sit there and type out a list like that so I thought I would collect map votes and make a script that would automatically write them in to the AC map blacklist format.

Then I thought I could use this data to try and leverage opinions out of the community about the subject of this genre of maps. Truly, I have found, there is almost an even split in the community between people who love this genre of map, and those who hate it. (There are very few moderates on the subject.)
Thanks given by:
So how would you go about determining which map is not suitable or perhaps unused as much regardless of its status in the realms of AC history. Depot being of of them.
As I have said in a previous thread there are some terrific maps around now that are pushing AC to the threshold of what the new kids want. Ok I dont like towers, and minecraft is just a variant but they are massively popular. Swat was a great map but the variants lag like my grandmas knickers.
Kitchenz is another good map but there are too many variants.
In short it should not be allowed for anyone to edit someones map without permission anyway. It is just not fair to the person(s) who spent weeks designing a map for someone to come along and change it.

I actually agree with you fully in what you say though. Some control has to be brought in on this, perhaps as we have iggy running full custom servers that all the others should perhaps forgo custom maps. IDK

Oh and btw . Only you and your technical curiosity would of noticed this in the first place. Goes to show you earned your status here in AC running things. Appreciated very much.

I am afraid tho I cannot vote for reasons I have said above. Perhaps a vote on what maps to keep or introduce rather than what to save would be another option.
Thanks given by:
Noobs like these maps! don't take em away :D
Thanks given by:
Oh by the way Subby.. someone it seems as renamed your Sands map to "Osubsands"

Hmmm I cant see why as it the same, I never spotted any difference other than a few more pick ups by the flags.
Thanks given by:
Whoa - Let me clear this up real quick. - I actually have no position of doing this officially on behalf of the Development staff, nor do I actually "run" any official part of AssaultCube at this time.
This blacklist is an example of a map blacklist that could be utilized by a server owner to blacklist the maps listed from being voted without admin.
I am not using this list on our servers currently, either.
As I have said before I just wanted to see what feedback I could gather from the community from this, and it is really only for my own personal use and not for any official capacity.

With that said, the maps that were chosen were only done by processing votes logged in the servers I run. So, everyone of these maps were voted on at some point, and the original script was only supposed to find maps with the words Towers, Camper, SWAT, or Kitchenzz in their name.
(clearly that version was somewhat broken as it found a few other unrelated maps, too)
Thanks given by: