Why is AssaultCube AntiCheat still not open source?
Last time I asked a dev this question he told me that it's so cheaters can't code around it. But seriously how hard is it to cheat in AC? Easy as ....

From the AC source:
Quote:/**
If you read README.txt you must know that AC does not have cheat protection implemented.
However this file is the sketch to a very special kind of cheat detection tools in server side.
This is not based in program tricks, i.e., encryption, secret bytes, nor monitoring/scanning tools.
The idea behind these cheat detections is to check (or reproduce) the client data, and verify if
this data is expected or possible. Also, there is no need to check all clients all time, and
one coding this kind of check must pay a special attention to the lag effect and how it can
affect the data observed. This is not a trivial task, and probably it is the main reason why
such tools were never implemented.
This part is here for compatibility purposes.
If you know nothing about these detections, please, just ignore it.
*/
So the anticheat is no offical part of AssaultCube. Fine! Why is it compiled into the released versions then? But that's not the question. The question is why is it not open source? Why are we not allowed check what the thing is doing? Why it sometimes bans not modified clients for speedhack? Why are we not allowed to check how much computing time each task in it uses and decide as server hosters on our own what parts we want to include and what parts we want to leave out to protect our players from lag. (At the moment we're forced to host without anticheat protection because we have to recompile)
Why is this still closed source after so many years and even kept in secret from the community when there's no active dev around anymore?
Thanks given by: +f0r3v3r+ , -Subjective , PhaNtom , DeafieGamer , 1Cap
As a rule of thumb, do not include anti-cheat in public servers. It is known to cause more problems than what it claims to fix.

Also, open-source project being sketchy? Thanks assaultcube.
Thanks given by: +f0r3v3r+ , DeafieGamer
(31 Jul 15, 02:50PM)Mash Wrote: The question is why is it not open source? Why are we not allowed check what the thing is doing?
My question is, are you seriously asking ?
(31 Jul 15, 02:50PM)Mash Wrote: Why it sometimes bans not modified clients for speedhack?
The speedhack detection code is a mess. It will catch the most obvious ones, it is not that much affected by lag but in some legitimate situations (especially if you abuse some jumps) it will trigger bans. This needs to be fixed, but later, when the whole anticheat code gets reviewed (it will have to be done, but imo its not a priority - i'd rather diminish its features like i did to avoid most false positive and then rework them properly

(31 Jul 15, 02:50PM)Mash Wrote: Why are we not allowed to check how much computing time each task in it uses and decide as server hosters on our own what parts we want to include and what parts we want to leave out to protect our players from lag.
Because thats ridiculous. The anticheat isn't demanding.

(31 Jul 15, 02:50PM)Mash Wrote: (At the moment we're forced to host without anticheat protection because we have to recompile)
Brahma "promised" it should be available as an external library. I might do that when the anticheat gets updated.
Thanks given by: HoeHunter
it is easy to cheat on ac, lets make it even easier. wanna be dev?
Thanks given by:
Luc@s Wrote:My question is, are you seriously asking ?

The speedhack detection code is a mess. It will catch the most obvious ones, it is not that much affected by lag but in some legitimate situations (especially if you abuse some jumps) it will trigger bans. This needs to be fixed, but later, when the whole anticheat code gets reviewed (it will have to be done, but imo its not a priority - i'd rather diminish its features like i did to avoid most false positive and then rework them properly

Because thats ridiculous. The anticheat isn't demanding.

Brahma "promised" it should be available as an external library. I might do that when the anticheat gets updated.
Then just put it in a new repo on github without touching it any further. I mean it can't be worse than the AssaultCube source code anyway and it's not much effort either.
Thanks given by:
(01 Aug 15, 08:18PM)Halte Wrote: it is easy to cheat on ac, lets make it even easier. wanna be dev?

We've been over this man, that's not how it works in the world of software.

Mash

You're raising relevant issues with the way things are now, and they've all been discussed in separate threads already. Unfortunately there's no change in sight, at least in a near future.
Thanks given by: Nightmare