Why isn't ac_trainyards not an official map?
First off I would like to say that I posted this in offtopic because it's really just an opinionated shpeel but why the actual fuck isn't ac_trainyards in the list of official map selections?

Reasons why it should be:
A) People are complaining about a lack of 1v1 official maps. This easily solves that dilemma
B)The map is well-suited mechanically for 1v1 play. Runs smoothly
C)It looks beautiful. The cube engine this game runs on makes it difficult for mappers to make realistic looking maps. This map actually looks like a real place. Intricately-detailed. No fps problems.

http://ac-akimbo.net/showthread.php?tid=1228 for those who don't have it
Thanks given by: +f0r3v3r+ , starix/A/ , D3M0NW0LF
(10 Jul 15, 02:57AM)MerCyKiL Wrote: ...but why the actual fuck isn't ac_trainyards in the list of official map selections?
Aaaaand that's how you persuade the dev team, folks.

It is a nice map, no idea if it's been considered.

P.S. "Why isn't ac_trainyards not an official map."
Thanks given by: +f0r3v3r+
Damn nice to see a good idea in offtopic for once... xD

P.P.S. "Why isn't ac_trainyards an official map. ?"

Thanks given by: D3M0NW0LF
It is a great map for sure, i would enjoy more 1vs1 maps in AC as well, but keep in mind it would require adding about 3 MB of additional packages to the game.
While i'm not against it, maybe we should think more about how many maps we can add that are really good and use similar extra packages so as to optimize the resulting AC package growth
Thanks given by:
How about downlosding the map package seperately? Sure, that meant they cannot play the map, but it will allows devs or map owner to fix the map errors. Think like what garry devs does. They sent fixs to network and the map will update to fix it.
Thanks given by:
Indeed, that 3 MB of original content might break AC's "Too small to fall" reputation for portability. >;D

But I think that most of the toasters out there nowadays wouldn't even ever know the difference.

I also think that by bringing in fresh content like this to the Official packages, we might encourage more development on maps based on that content.

This doesn't mean it is right, I am only sharing my opinion.
Thanks given by: D3M0NW0LF
Why isn't the sky orange?
Thanks given by:
Thanks given by: Nightmare , D3M0NW0LF
This is why we want to remove unplayed/laggy/bad maps to make room for new ones. :)
Thanks given by: +f0r3v3r+ , Orynge , MerCyKiL , Z3R0 , D3M0NW0LF
(12 Jul 15, 01:47AM)Nightmare Wrote: This is why we want to remove unplayed/laggy/bad maps to make room for new ones. :)
its not a matter of maps (a few hundred KB) but a matter of textures/etc.

Note that if we reach a total of less than 10 MB after including these packages its OK for me of course. But the thing is, you need to think about the map itself, but also the packages that come with it (do you want them to be official o rnot, and also can they be)

Finally, we could include the map and not the dependencies (which would be downloaded on the fly from akimbo) but thats really debatable.
Is it feasible to make AC work somewhat like Minecraft and other games where you download some files once you go online? In those files we could have the textures, mapmodels, etc. of the map...
Thanks given by:
@Wolf Yeah - if the package server (i.e. akimbo) in your list is functioning and has the content dependencies then it would work just like this.

Assuming the package servers list is configured correctly, and the user has auto-download enabled, then we could say we already have this feature.

@Lucas It is a bit taboo to force users to auto-download official content that the base package would depend on.
And I wouldn't steward that, simply because it is not legit to drop users in to a "Official" map that has no content on the Official install. (Still debatable)

But I think I see where you are going with the possibility of finding a selection of maps and packages that get a "better bang for the buck" for the 5-10 MB that we might be able to increase.

Also, an interesting point on thinking less about Official maps and more about the content surrounding it.
Thanks given by: Orynge , D3M0NW0LF
(12 Jul 15, 09:22AM)+f0r3v3r+ Wrote: @Lucas It is a bit taboo to force users to auto-download official content that the base package would depend on.

And I wouldn't steward that, simply because it is not legit to drop users in to a "Official" map that has no content on the Official install. (Still debatable)

Also, an interesting point on thinking less about Official maps and more about the content surrounding it.

AC Story Time.
Thanks given by: +f0r3v3r+ , D3M0NW0LF
(12 Jul 15, 07:58AM)#M|A#Wolf Wrote: Is it feasible to make AC work somewhat like Minecraft and other games where you download some files once you go online? In those files we could have the textures, mapmodels, etc. of the map...

so you did not realize it is already implemented into AC 1.2 ?
Thanks given by:
whats the problem allowing a listing of official maps and generating a menu with proposed maps. Introduce all new maps as beta tests in the version before their release, allowing the user to choose which packages they do not want. you've already done the work, let the user decide how big they want their own package (heh).
Thanks given by: MerCyKiL , +f0r3v3r+ , Z3R0 , D3M0NW0LF
(14 Jul 15, 06:14PM)Luc@s Wrote:
(12 Jul 15, 07:58AM)#M|A#Wolf Wrote: Is it feasible to make AC work somewhat like Minecraft and other games where you download some files once you go online? In those files we could have the textures, mapmodels, etc. of the map...

so you did not realize it is already implemented into AC 1.2 ?

AFAIK, that only works when someone votes a map you don't have in a server.
Thanks given by:
the auto downloads code gets the dependencies you need for the current loading map. it covers /all/ cases and has a minimal impact (doesn't download more then you need)
Thanks given by:
well, I bet it shouldn't be too hard to make that feature work from a command or make it automatic at launch so you don't need someone voting the map for you. sexy.
Thanks given by:
Also, you can getmap in singleplayer from any added package servers.
Thanks given by:
yep, doing /getmap map_name
I like the map would be good for 1vs1s.
Thanks given by:
how I get to that tunnel ? It's getting me nervous I cannot explore that.
Thanks given by:
no tunnel alien :(
Thanks given by: