Anti-Cheat and Server-Client Interaction
From reading those cheating reports and looking at the source code myself, it's apparent that the client tells the server almost whatever it wants about its location, who it's shooting at, and other things, and the server trusts it. This makes it extremely easy to hack the game and cheat, but what I'm more worried about is that it means that a laggy client could unintentionally cheat. If a client thinks it hit something that it really shouldn't hit, it still counts. Maybe that's why you sometimes seem to be killed after you're already hiding behind a wall.

Isn't this the complete opposite of how server-client interaction is supposed to work? The server should be handling hitboxes and everything, right?
Thanks given by: Halte , DeafieGamer
(04 Jul 15, 08:14PM)morshu9001 Wrote: The server should be handling hitboxes and everything, right?
Wouldn't this mean u'd have to aim in front of the player. I'm not a prophet, so I'd rather not guess where my enemy will be in the next 150ms
Thanks given by:
(04 Jul 15, 08:36PM)yopa Wrote:
(04 Jul 15, 08:14PM)morshu9001 Wrote: The server should be handling hitboxes and everything, right?
Wouldn't this mean u'd have to aim in front of the player. I'm not a prophet, so I'd rather not guess where my enemy will be in the next 150ms

The client game ought to predict the player movement for you. Seems like they already do that to some extent. It works well in other games like Counter-Strike.
Thanks given by:
(04 Jul 15, 08:14PM)morshu9001 Wrote: From reading those cheating reports and looking at the source code myself, it's apparent that the client tells the server almost whatever it wants about its location, who it's shooting at, and other things, and the server trusts it. This makes it extremely easy to hack the game and cheat

yes more things should be server side. dont know shit about code and what is possible or not but I know how other games are managed. you should talk to lucas about that since he is the only coder left. the community somehow thought it was smart to start a war against the other coder guy in the dev team because he was giving warning point to inactive ingame people on a forum nobody care about...

(04 Jul 15, 08:14PM)morshu9001 Wrote: but what I'm more worried about is that it means that a laggy client could unintentionally cheat. If a client thinks it hit something that it really shouldn't hit, it still counts. Maybe that's why you sometimes seem to be killed after you're already hiding behind a wall.

You speak the truth. These high pinger are just ruining the game with their lag cheat. If there was enough european playing the game I wont even bother trying to play with these 250+ ping...
Thanks given by:
(04 Jul 15, 08:55PM)Halte Wrote:
(04 Jul 15, 08:14PM)morshu9001 Wrote: From reading those cheating reports and looking at the source code myself, it's apparent that the client tells the server almost whatever it wants about its location, who it's shooting at, and other things, and the server trusts it. This makes it extremely easy to hack the game and cheat

yes more things should be server side. dont know shit about code and what is possible or not but I know how other games are managed. you should talk to lucas about that since he is the only coder left. the community somehow thought it was smart to start a war against the other coder guy in the dev team because he was giving warning point to inactive ingame people on a forum nobody care about...
Ehhh, sounds like it's not going to happen then. I think it would require a lot of code changes to move everything server-side, but I could be wrong. It's not that bad anyway as long as everyone quickly bans laggers and cheaters.
Thanks given by: