Sad to see the decline in the playerbase
(01 Jun 15, 12:31PM)Nightmare Wrote: Nobody is trying to ruin the woop client, it's just that they don't want to use it, just like any optional client/mod.

like larry who asks everyone NOT to use it ? if you have no idea, what you're talking about, your feedback is not helpful
Thanks given by:
(01 Jun 15, 12:18PM)Vanquish Wrote: [..]
as far as i can see, i prefer my implementation (includes resume warning, halftime, automatic pause etc.). but its cool to see some people actually doing something (instead of just talking here)

EDIT: but thats where your reasoning is bad, Vanquish and DamDam. If we implemented such features alone you'd say its enough. You can't understand we need far more. So you can't understand, that we need an entire freedom to make the game actually better.
Thanks given by:
(01 Jun 15, 12:47PM)Luc@s Wrote: Theres no reason for us to come at you for your opinion, unless you proved us before you could provide a well detailed argumentation for your point.

have i not done that more than anyone else in this game? what reason did you have to go to sanzo or exodus for their opinion rather than mine or larry's opinion? oh wait, because you're just looking for people who agree with you, not people that actually challenge you.

(01 Jun 15, 12:47PM)Luc@s Wrote: But TBH, after what you've done to me especially during the 2011 ACWC, i had all the best reasons to ignore anything coming from you (since you were harassing me)

would you like to explain to everyone what you did wrong during the 2011 ACWC, or shall i? hint: you're still doing the exact same thing.

(01 Jun 15, 12:47PM)Luc@s Wrote: In other words, you didn't do much for us to consider your opinion as more valuable

i've done more than enough to make my opinion valuable; go look at my posts in the proving grounds forum if they're still there (i wouldn't know because i've been removed from it for some reason). would my extensive playing experience and critical reflection on that playing experience (probably more than anyone else in AC) not constitute valuable opinion?

the reason you don't consider my opinion valuable is because you cannot change your opinion in the face of the truth.

(01 Jun 15, 12:47PM)Luc@s Wrote: but you did everything you could so that we would ignore you.

and you're still complaining that the community wont help you? here are the facts; lucas is doing everything within his capability to put the blame on the community, even if it contradicts reality.

(01 Jun 15, 12:47PM)Luc@s Wrote: if someone can code and wants something to getimplemented (pause feature for example), why can't he post a patch ? pressure from the devs ?

except we both know that its not as simple as that when you want to implement something that fundamentally alters AC beyond simple changes (e.g. removing map restrictions).
Thanks given by:
Parallel discussions between two people is also a type of SPAM!
Let's start with basics:
The game does not have enough advertising.
The game menu is not userfriendly.
There are many experienced players playing on servers with beginners players. This can be demotivating!
It is very complicated to make fun maps.
Create a home server is not valued!
The king did not want to make new friends.
Thanks given by:
(01 Jun 15, 12:55PM)Undead Wrote: have i not done that more than anyone else in this game? what reason did you have to go to sanzo or exodus for their opinion rather than mine or larry's opinion? oh wait, because you're just looking for people who agree with you, not people that actually challenge you.
I am more than happy to get contradiction ; sanzo and exoduss actually disagreed with me in a number of occasions. Sanzo convinced me to implemented the halftime thing, which i refused to do in the first place, for instance.
(01 Jun 15, 12:55PM)Undead Wrote: would you like to explain to everyone what you did wrong during the 2011 ACWC, or shall i? hint: you're still doing the exact same thing.
Well basically you supported someone who disclosed the website db password while it was cleary retarded
you tried to ruin games, kicking players, insulting me while casting etc. and never apologized. why should i get attacked and then pretend nothing happened ?
(01 Jun 15, 12:55PM)Undead Wrote: i've done more than enough to make my opinion valuable; go look at my posts in the proving grounds forum if they're still there (i wouldn't know because i've been removed from it for some reason). would my extensive playing experience and critical reflection on that playing experience (probably more than anyone else in AC) not constitute valuable opinion?
the reason you don't consider my opinion valuable is because you cannot change your opinion in the face of the truth.
Your opinionis not the only valuable opinion.
(01 Jun 15, 12:55PM)Undead Wrote: and you're still complaining that the community wont help you? here are the facts; lucas is doing everything within his capability to put the blame on the community, even if it contradicts reality.
Well, the last time i published a significant update to the game, half the community had a good reaction, but another "half" (actually a few players, always the same) acted like morons. What did /they/ do in the direction they said the game should be oriented to ? Nothing. And when i do something myself, their reaction is extremely toxic.. In this case, who should get blamed ? Me for spending weeks working on some major changes, or those who refuse these changes, just because i happened to implement them myself ? Just because they can't admit, they are unable to do it by themselves ?
(01 Jun 15, 12:55PM)Undead Wrote: except we both know that its not as simple as that when you want to implement something that fundamentally alters AC beyond simple changes (e.g. removing map restrictions).
i don't see how its "not that simple". Well actually yes. Its not that simple to code something, and it smuch easier to criticize.
But i don't see what's preventing someone from writing a patch. Just like phantom did.
Thanks given by:
(01 Jun 15, 01:58PM)1Cap Wrote: The game menu is not userfriendly.
?
It was easy to use the first time I played.
(01 Jun 15, 01:58PM)1Cap Wrote: There are many experienced players playing on servers with beginners players. This can be demotivating!
The first game I played was TOSOK on TWINTOWERS!!!NEW_YORK!!! on 1.0.2.
I didn't get a single kill for the first few times I played it. The other team, specifically XsamaX, murdered me. There has always been the imbalance between experienced and beginner players, that hasn't changed.
Thanks given by:
(01 Jun 15, 02:04PM)Luc@s Wrote: Your opinionis not the only valuable opinion.

but clearly it is valuable. the game is much worse off because you ignored it.

(01 Jun 15, 02:04PM)Luc@s Wrote: Well basically you supported someone who disclosed the website db password while it was cleary retarded
you tried to ruin games, kicking players, insulting me while casting etc. and never apologized. why should i get attacked and then pretend nothing happened ?

and basically, you punished someone for helping you, because it contravened your ego. lol.
would you like to tell everyone how you completely ignored everything i did in trying to help you with the tournament, as well as just about everyone else? your reasoning for doing so was something along the lines of "its my tournament, i can do what i want". and yet, you still wonder why half of the tournament was trolling you. lol

(01 Jun 15, 02:04PM)Luc@s Wrote: I am more than happy to get contradiction ; sanzo and exoduss actually disagreed with me in a number of occasions. Sanzo convinced me to implemented the halftime thing, which i refused to do in the first place, for instance.

because they never disagree with you on anything major or fundamental. you won't even entertain the thought that your attempts at balancing AC were done in a very poor way, both in the past and now. its because you don't actually understand how the game works, and you wont admit it, and you wont ask anyone for help.

(01 Jun 15, 02:04PM)Luc@s Wrote: Well, the last time i published a significant update to the game, half the community had a good reaction, but another "half" (actually a few players, always the same) acted like morons.

do you not understand? i explained this before; its about your ulterior motives in implementing it. it wasn't for the good of the game, it was so you could continue to ruin it further. of course we're going to skeptical, when you disallow outpost and permit depot, considering how you messed the game up with 1.2.

(01 Jun 15, 02:04PM)Luc@s Wrote: And when i do something myself, their reaction is extremely toxic.. In this case, who should get blamed ? Me for spending weeks working on some major changes, or those who refuse these changes, just because i happened to implement them myself ? Just because they can't admit, they are unable to do it by themselves ?

if you actually listen to what we have to say, you won't get blamed. very simple.

(01 Jun 15, 02:04PM)Luc@s Wrote: i don't see how its "not that simple". Well actually yes. Its not that simple to code something, and it smuch easier to criticize.
But i don't see what's preventing someone from writing a patch. Just like phantom did.

i'll write it again in french, and see if you understand better, but probably not because my french is terrible.

si je veux faire quelque chose qui est plus compliqué qu'un patch simple, ou quelque chose qui changerait le jeu en une manière radical, il serait impossible de faire parce-que les devs ne permettrait pas ça. vous savez la vérité ici.
Thanks given by:
(01 Jun 15, 02:23PM)Undead Wrote: si je veux faire quelque chose qui est plus compliqué qu'un patch simple, ou quelque chose qui changerait le jeu en une manière radical, il serait impossible de faire parce-que les devs ne permettrait pas ça. vous savez la vérité ici.
So let me bring the match client example again..; The devs would not have allowed me to do this with that much freedom, so i did it myself. And the only thing stopping me were not the devs, but the community...
Oh and about the ACWC: you didnt help in any way. You started insulting me when you realized there were qualifications so that each country doesn't have more than 1 team participating, just because you noticed it too late, after your teams were done - but it was not my fault, because it wasclearly stated in the rules from the beginning.
And someone's intentions (helping) are a thing, but if the consequences are terrible, than its still an issue. What he did was extremely dumb, but i don't think you're competent enough in this domain to understand why. Clearly, if you were, you would have done like me.
Thanks given by:
(01 Jun 15, 03:54PM)Luc@s Wrote: So let me bring the match client example again..; The devs would not have allowed me to do this with that much freedom, so i did it myself. And the only thing stopping me were not the devs, but the community...

and as you can see, when you rely on the community to achieve your goals in this way, you don't really achieve anything. stop blaming the community, start blaming the developers that are preventing you from actually getting something done.

(01 Jun 15, 03:54PM)Luc@s Wrote: Oh and about the ACWC: you didnt help in any way.

i did, its just that the only thing you remember is related to your ego.

(01 Jun 15, 03:54PM)Luc@s Wrote: And someone's intentions (helping) are a thing, but if the consequences are terrible

which they weren't
Thanks given by:
(01 Jun 15, 04:14PM)Undead Wrote: and as you can see, when you rely on the community to achieve your goals in this way, you don't really achieve anything. stop blaming the community, start blaming the developers that are preventing you from actually getting something done.
we didn't really achieve anything ? hahaha. you didn't even test. and what was released, was only a small part of what has been done.

Also, the devs didn't tell me i should "stop" and that nobody should try this client, unlike larry, 1cap, vanquish, and a few others. Note that its only a few people.

(01 Jun 15, 04:14PM)Undead Wrote: i did, its just that the only thing you remember is related to your ego.
Prove it. Because you were not part of the admins. You just trolled, and tried to get the rules changed in your favor, just because you could not read them in the first place. Not surprising you defended what could not be defended (according to you, people should be free to post my db passwords everywhere on the internet lol). And insulted and pissed off some players in game, during a match. Thats all you did.
Thanks given by:
(01 Jun 15, 12:53PM)Luc@s Wrote: as far as i can see, i prefer my implementation (includes resume warning, halftime, automatic pause etc.)

Not really relevant unless you're willing to share your code or at least include it in the next version though. Phantom's patch works and I'd rather have a pause feature without a resume warning included than none at all. I think everyone can agree on that at least. No this doesn't count as "shitting on your work".

(01 Jun 15, 12:53PM)Luc@s Wrote: You can't understand we need far more. So you can't understand, that we need an entire freedom to make the game actually better.

One would wonder why developers don't have the "entire freedom" to make their own game better in the first place? If you're hinting at a lack of community support, then I'd say that if a significant majority of the current playerbase are against a change you want to implement, the change is probably bad or else the reactions would not be so negative. The community will support any favourable change that is implemented in a proper fashion.

(01 Jun 15, 01:58PM)1Cap Wrote: The game does not have enough advertising.

true, but how would you propose we combat that? I get that better facebook/social media promotion would be a good start, but that alone will never be enough to compete with any major game.

(01 Jun 15, 01:58PM)1Cap Wrote: Create a home server is not valued!

A lag free experience when playing should be more valued, IMO. Home servers should be encouraged, but only by people who actually have the upload to host them.

(01 Jun 15, 01:58PM)1Cap Wrote: The king did not want to make new friends.

explain? lol

(01 Jun 15, 06:21PM)Luc@s Wrote: Also, the devs didn't tell me i should "stop" and that nobody should try this client, unlike larry, 1cap, vanquish, and a few others. 

lol if you're gonna post stuff about me please stop downright lying. I specifically made a point of telling people that they were free to use the client if they wanted, Larry was the one who was actually telling people not to use your work. I don't care if people want to play on a modified client, all I said is that I'm sticking to the default and that I'm never gonna support any attempt to centralise matchmaking unless it's done via the official development team, or certainly at least not via a competitive clan in the game. A competitive clan release a client dedicated to matches, that force us to play maps and modes they choose on their servers only and they won't even release the source - and then they call the community toxic because everybody doesn't immediately love it? Are you joking or just that out of touch with people?
If you wanted any real support, you should have at the absolute minimum consulted with the competitive community about suitable maps/modes before you just made your own. Or, even failing that, you should have openly disclosed that you were open to the possibility of revising your map list. If it was really only as bad as me, Larry and 1cap opposing your client, it would be a guaranteed, undisputable success. But it's not.

What you did was good, the way you did it was bad. I've never criticised your skills as a coder or your intentions behind creating a matchmaking system (I think AC needs one), but don't shove stuff down our throats and rage at us when we offer negative feedback. That is simply tyrannical.

I'm not even gonna write more about the client - literally everything that needs to be said has been said here and throwing 'points' back at me like "my reasons are selfish" or "i am toxic" won't foster appropriate discussion. I would prefer it if you addressed my points properly without using either of the aforementioned phrases, and if you want to throw in some personal insults I'm fine with that. It's just gonna show people you have nothing you can actually say back to me. :D

(01 Jun 15, 12:55PM)Undead Wrote: what reason did you have to go to sanzo or exodus for their opinion rather than mine or larry's opinion? oh wait, because you're just looking for people who agree with you, not people that actually challenge you.

preach it brother
Thanks given by:
warned you all many time about that. Now its done. I was right. Your decisions killed the game. You should have listened. Now its too late and you all do like you dont understand why it happened.

Lol @ forum heroes crying that the game wont last another year. Werent you all supporting the removing of douze CTF? Yeah smart guys over here, now you wonder why the game is dead. Ofc, lets remove the most popular map/mode (aka ctf douze), lets remove a whole community (gemas and campers). These players wont leave, they will learn to play the game properly. BITCH PLEASE, can you tell me where they are now? They are fucking gone smartass. still remember xrd and his dead horse lol. The dead horse is AC now because of your blindness.

And please leave vanquish where he is nightmare, your skills wont improve by licking his anus in each of your posts. Also he will make AC even worst since all he think about is the competitive scene which was never an important side of AC. quakefanboys are also boring and people thinking marti is cool cant be taken seriously.

Guide to the perfect official forum user : dayum I feel alone on my arabian CTF, lets force all the douze CTF players, all gemas players and all @campers players to play with me by removing their fav map/mode. seems they prefered to leaved the game rather than playing by your rules lol. forever alone?
Thanks given by:
(01 Jun 15, 08:56PM)Halte Wrote: all he think about is the competitive scene which was never an important side of AC.

games like counter strike, league of legends, dota 2, quake, starcraft would all be NOTHING (really) without competition. It is what draws new players in and what keeps the old ones around. 

That being said, I partially agree with you about AC because it's slightly different. The fact that the competitive scene was stagnant for years (even since before I discovered what AC was, apparently) didn't help those who were already enjoying the game retain interest, but removing shit like douze ctf or gema or w/e also didn't help new players stick around and eventually discover the depth that the game could bring, which was the way most of us got into the game.

With regards to me "supporting" the removal of douze ctf or whatever, I don't like the mode or the map and I will never play it by choice. But that doesn't mean I think others shouldn't be allowed to play it if they want to, restricting harmless things like that in the name of autocracy can only lead to bad things.

But going back to what I said about the competitive scene: it's not even exclusive to esports. Football matches, tennis tournaments etc are televised nationally and people bet real money on the outcomes of them - it's this exposure that certainly contributes to people's prolonged interest in the game. Saying that the competitive aspect of any game is unimportant is completely wrong.
Thanks given by:
Halte has a good point. Map restrictions is what killed the game.

There was a whole "underground " community around the shitty maps and gemas, much bigger and more active than this official community here. I hate gemas and twin tower type of maps, I truly do, I despise them, but I couldn't care less if ppl play their ugly looking maps. I was always for the implementation of some sort of subdivision in the MS, i.e. official maps - custom maps - gemas. Let ppl play whatever the fuck they like.

Hell, if 1 in 100 gema or shitty map player decided to join the competitive scene we would be in much better shape than we are today. And maybe with more competive players around we wouldn't have to put up with with the same fucking "pros" bitching when they don' t have things their way or how ppl must worship and respct them caus they so enlighten and pro ( nevermind if they act like retards) and that they have been playing the game since .93 and therefore their opinion ARE the most valuable ones...

What a sad display of nonsense!

After reading through this thread it gets quite clear to me that the future does not look bright.

Well, I guess it was good while it last...
Thanks given by:
(01 Jun 15, 09:18PM)Vanquish Wrote: games like counter strike, league of legends, dota 2, quake, starcraft would all be NOTHING (really) without competition. It is what draws new players in and what keeps the old ones around. 
to a large extent yes but the playerbase of cs (into cs:s and source and all its mods and mods of those mods) and wc3 (including and especially wc3dota) exploded to stay and linger for and because of custom games

sure everyone loves the competition but if you ask those guys of their fondest memories of the early times, plenty will say customs as will plenty here

also dota2 customs with source 2 i am HYPED AS FUCK DUDE

edit: actually ill add on to this; competitive tf2 is on its last legs trying to survive while the majority of players only play one map 24/7 and join trading and furry communities. did you know tf2 has a large furry minority?
Thanks given by: Orynge
(01 Jun 15, 08:56PM)Halte Wrote: I AM HERE TO FLAME, POINT FINGERS AND OFFER NO OPINION OF IMPORTANCE
Yes, some people are responsible for what happened. Can we all start discussing ways to fix it rather than blaming people. That will get us nowhere. I do think the match client is relevant, because I believe AC would be better if some of it's features were implemented in AC.

Cemer: Didn't Valve start trying to help out TF2 competitive recently? (also STAR is cool)
Thanks given by:
(02 Jun 15, 12:50AM)ElCrema Wrote: that they have been playing the game since .93 and therefore their opinion ARE the most valuable ones...
What a sad display of nonsense!
After reading through this thread it gets quite clear to me that the future does not look bright.

i don't understand why you're arguing my points for me and then attacking me at the same time.

(02 Jun 15, 02:04AM)Cemer Wrote: to a large extent yes but the playerbase of cs (into cs:s and source and all its mods and mods of those mods) and wc3 (including and especially wc3dota) exploded to stay and linger for and because of custom games

DING DING DING
probably the reason why i kept playing AC in 0.93. playing ac_mines and ac_depot over and over got pretty boring.
Thanks given by:
(02 Jun 15, 05:27AM)Undead Wrote: i don't understand why you're arguing my points for me and then attacking me at the same time.

Dear Undead,

Sorry to disappoint you, but they are not YOUR points and I ain't arguing shit for you, it might come as a surprise to your pro long time player ego but you are absolutely meaningless to me. Hate to be the one to break it to you but, contrary to what you seem to believe kid, the world was not invented the day your were born.

But anyways, since it's opinion time, here goes mine:
You definitely should start your own fps project, with all that mighty wisdom and pro knowledge of yours I'll bet it would be a huge success!
Hell, you could become rich and famous man!
Why the fuck are you wasting your precious and brilliant arguments and time here with us nubs!?
Go now! Go build yourself a fps empire!

Or at the very least (in case you are not that ambitious) you should send a resume to Valve, I wonder how you were not discovered by a game industry head hunter yet...
Thanks given by:
First forgive me for my English

Guys, Guys, Guys!

I believe our desires are the same, this rain of insults and fights will only generate more and more fights and none solution. The problems in this version of AC are evident and we read in all posts here cited the same shit. ( Map restrictions, competitive scene, servers,weapons, AC isn't like 0.93/1.0 ...). I love this game, and I'm surprised this game is still active, I play assault cube since 2007 and the biggest change I saw was version 1.0 ( the another change for me parallel AC was Match Client).

Let's have a little more maturity and stop fighting... We are old, we have passed many years of our lives here.

Peace.
Thanks given by: -Subjective
(02 Jun 15, 08:29AM)ElCrema Wrote: but you are absolutely meaningless to me.

i don't understand how your valuation of me is relevant at all.

(02 Jun 15, 08:29AM)ElCrema Wrote: You definitely should start your own fps project, with all that mighty wisdom and pro knowledge of yours I'll bet it would be a huge success!

because we both know that is an immensely complicated task. why not simply make AC more enjoyable for everyone, considering that's all i really give a shit about tbh.

(02 Jun 15, 08:29AM)ElCrema Wrote: Why the fuck are you wasting your precious and brilliant arguments and time here with us nubs!?

because i am taking immense satisfaction out of being correct, especially considering all of the self-righteous bullshit that the devs have propagated over all this time. and look where its gotten them? .

(02 Jun 15, 08:29AM)ElCrema Wrote: Or at the very least (in case you are not that ambitious) you should send a resume to Valve, I wonder how you were not discovered by a game industry head hunter yet...

why would they, when those companies already know everything i know, and probably more? pretty much all of my arguments are concerned with why their games are so successful and then applying some of those successful elements to AC, within the constraints that AC has in terms of developers.

i actually have no idea where all your resentment towards me is coming from. if you have a personal problem with me, then lets resolve it, because i don't have any with you. those are kinda my opinions tho lol
Thanks given by:
Again, you got it all wrong kid, i know it's sad but, the world does not turn around you. So it's no resentment at all, it's pure amusement, considering how clueless and laughable your so called logic is and how funnier it gets the harder you try.
I'm sorry but I couldn't help myself, how could I let a good joke such as this one pass? In a way I almost feel bad and kinda mean for making fun of kid like this, but hey, anything for a good laugh right?

But you're right, no reason to continue this. Since you've been reading the forums and playing the same game that I have and assuming you are at least half smart ass you think you are, I'll assume that you've noticed by now that the development of AC won't change, nor will your ( and other players) attitude towards it. So: Game over!

And besides I already had my laugh so I'm good.
But please, feel free to contradict all I said with your impeccably well construed and self-centered arguments, don't let the fun end here. This "humble genius" self of yours it' the funniest of them all, even better than the "mean bad troll" one.
Thanks given by:
(02 Jun 15, 03:48PM)ElCrema Wrote: So it's no resentment at all

then where is the emotion from your statements originating from? from resentment, but where this resentment is coming from, i honestly have no clue. something i said must have set off something deep within you.

(02 Jun 15, 03:48PM)ElCrema Wrote: considering how clueless and laughable your so called logic is

if its so clueless then why is it impossible for you to riposte it?

(02 Jun 15, 03:48PM)ElCrema Wrote: I'll assume that you've noticed by now that the development of AC won't change

yes, i realized that a while ago. what is your point, exactly?

(02 Jun 15, 03:48PM)ElCrema Wrote: But please, feel free to contradict all I said

hardly difficult.

(02 Jun 15, 03:48PM)ElCrema Wrote: with your impeccably well construed and self-centered arguments, don't let the fun end here. This "humble genius" self of yours it' the funniest of them all, even better than the "mean bad troll" one.

there are people in real life RIGHT NOW who think like this.
Thanks given by:
is what glaucon imagined right
Thanks given by: Orynge
Orynge Wrote:
(01 Jun 15, 08:56PM)Halte Wrote: I AM HERE TO FLAME, POINT FINGERS AND OFFER NO OPINION OF IMPORTANCE
What are you here for? I guess you feel concerned by my post. I blame YOU like many of your friends to be responsible for the current state of the game. I ask you to show some humility now you realise all your posts took us here. I dont even know who you are. Let me guess, you are playing AC on a daily basis by posting here on the forum.

Ive been saying the same things for years. Not because I think I will be listened one day. But just to remind you (forum players/devs/mods) that there are still some people that disagree with you. Just to make sure you will never forget some people think you are wrong. Just to remind you that no, everyone do not agree with you. And I think this has to be done everyday.

Quote:Yes, some people are responsible for what happened. Can we all start discussing ways to fix it rather than blaming people.
No ! We just cant. You need to admit you made a mistake before fixing it. Simple logic dude. And if you have things to fix, that mean some things are broken. Why are they broken? How? Some people need to take responsablities so we can go forward (eg : yes I was wrong to remove douze CTF, gemas and crappy maps, we will make them back !).

Ive read what lucas said about crappy maps and maps restrictions. He has a solid point but its only theories about how people will react. People are able to understand it is not the only map of the game and they can read that it is a community map and not an official map if you inform them properly. But again, even your best AC maps looks like shit. Because the whole game is ugly. I find @camper way more playable than the first cavern and I still find the new cavern ugly as fuck and yet its official.

To give you an example, the first time I played urban terror, I played a 'gema like' map. I was smart enough to understand that it wasnt the main gamemode of the game. If players are properly informed about what gamemode they are playing on what kind of server, they will find their way into the game by themselves. And if they dont stay, its not because they didnt understand your game, its because they didnt like it.

Quote:That will get us nowhere.
You know what will get us nowhere? Your opinion, who have been considered as sane for too long now. I respect your right to express yourself, I just dont respect you and your opinions. Tolerance you know...
Thanks given by:
There's like 4 threads with these same arguments going on and none of it is getting this game anywhere at this point. I don't understand why so many of you are blatantly attacking and insulting people without expecting them to defend themselves, and then correlating that with why the game is dying. If you are just here to get a reaction out of someone on an online forum, just leave there's no reason for you to be here anymore.

I understand people who are just saying the game is dying because, well, it is! I just don't get why those who know the game is dying and claim not to care are doing here insulting those who remain active and do care. Most of these arguments should be settled by PM or some other form of communication since posting this kind of stuff here just invites the rest of the community to join in the current sh*t show. It's kind of sad thinking that all these people I looked up to long ago are acting like those 12 year old kids on xbox telling me they railed out my mom last night.

I'm sentimental with this game because when I started playing in like 2007-ish it was the first real FPS I ever played, so yeah I wish to see this game continue because it was a large part of me growing up from age 12-15, and now that I decided to come back and I found a group of people I enjoy playing with, I'm content. I'm pissed that the game is dying but there's nothing I can personally do about it, no one specifically is to blame, it's just an old game that I'm going to continue to have fun with until that is truly no longer possible. I suggest doing the same.
Thanks given by:
What decline? Me and my many personalities are still here. We ball hard. No lie. We frag harder. Kiss the sky. Bring your game sons. The hippity hoooo might not be as extrapolated as days of bygone past but that don't mean we gone. We game. We game. We game We game We game. Bring the noise boyz. Roll out the swirlz girlz. Oonce oonce oonce. Triplepost!
Thanks given by:
(03 Jun 15, 01:02AM)Halte Wrote: No ! We just cant. You need to admit you made a mistake before fixing it.
(31 May 15, 02:49AM)Orynge Wrote: map restrictions, in hindsight, were a bad idea

Now please calm down. I'm pretty sure your heart's in the right place but blaming people is what has lead to this thread being a shitwad of pointless arguments in the first place. I don't even think anyone knows what they're arguing about anymore, it's just become a lot of ad hominem. One of the remaining active mods is now asking to be argued with.

This thread should just be locked unless the moderators actually feel like, y'know, moderating.
Thanks given by:
(03 Jun 15, 09:07AM)Orynge Wrote: a shitwad of pointless arguments in the first place

i don't really see how they're pointless or invalid in any way. perhaps you would care to elaborate? considering what has transpired in the past, these arguments were inevitably going to happen somewhere.

we can attribute the failings of AC to a few core individuals, like it or not, as offensive at that might be to the egos of some people, just as we can attribute its rise to a few core individuals.
Thanks given by:
The inital loss of players from the transition between 1.0 and 1.1 was due to the very different weapon balance (no where near as good as previously imo) and negative effect that this upgrade had on higher ping players (400ping turned from playable to unplayable).

More importantly is the lack of competitive culture in AC now days (which has also been on the decline since 1.0) has had a far bigger impact on the player base. The competitive side of AC is generally what kept players hooked on the game and if we want more players, I think we should find a way to formalize and centralize the competitive scene.

The other thing to keep in mind about AC is the market place. In 2007 it was a lot harder to find a free FPS, there were a whole lot less options, and the graphics were no where near as dated as them seem today. I think we can still grow the player base but we can't expect as much exposure as previously.

idk, just my thoughts
Thanks given by:
(03 Jun 15, 11:44AM)XFA Wrote: The inital loss of players from the transition between 1.0 and 1.1 was due to the very different weapon balance (no where near as good as previously imo) and negative effect that this upgrade had on higher ping players (400ping turned from playable to unplayable).

More importantly is the lack of competitive culture in AC now days (which has also been on the decline since 1.0) has had a far bigger impact on the player base. The competitive side of AC is generally what kept players hooked on the game and if we want more players, I think we should find a way to formalize and centralize the competitive scene.

XFA, you know I love you bud, but I disagree on most of your points here.

I actually think that the 1.1 weapon balance is much better than it was in 1.0. In 1.0, only the SMG and Sniper were really viable at all, Shotgun and AR were pretty much unusable. Now, all five weapons are appropriate in at least some situation.

As for the competitive scene - yes, the competitive scene has certainly declined, but that's only because the playerbase as a whole has declined. For any given game (FPS or otherwise), a small percentage of players will want to play competitively, and most people just want to derp around and have fun.

As others have stated, I think that map restrictions have led to the decline of players in AC. Back in the day, there were probably other 1000 players online at a time, and at least a few hundred of them just played bs_dust2 32 player servers game after game after game after game. Killing GEMAs, and modded servers, and 32-player servers has lead to his decline in the playerbase.
Thanks given by: