So, that's it then, apparently.
My first code contribution to AC was on April 25th, 2007. It was the "deaths" column on the scoreboard.

My last code contribution to AC was earlier today. It was a small code cleanup after adding an "undo" function to the map editor to restore deleted entities.

So, it lasted eight years and one month. It ended, because I have no support left in the dev team. Well, not "no support" at all, but with jamz gone, it's basically down to grenadier alone.

Congrats to Vanquish, G1gantuan and Marti. You've proven, that it's ok to personally insult me in the worst possible way, without any consequences for you whatsoever. X-Ray_Dog owns the forum, and he decided, it was my own fault that I was insulted. It is now official: you can call X-Ray_Dog whatever you want on #assaultcube - it will not have any consequences! You should try it out :)

Marti has been gunning for "anything but stef" for over a year now. Feel free to ask him for his reasons. And ask him, who'll be next...

Well, don't worry about me. I'll be getting several gigabytes of disk space and time enough for at least two new hobbies out of this. I really liked the game and had lots of new stuff in the queue for it - but I won't bend over for the forum mob, just because X-Ray_Dog says so.

Yes, I did want more strict moderation for this forum - because the devs needed a place to discuss game topics with the players. Did you know, that this forum has a secret section titled "A sanctuary away from the trolls.", that the devs use for the interesting discussions about the game? Because the main forum was not usable for serious topics? But hey, "Its how its been done in the past", so why change that.

Apparently, that is the reason, that X-Ray_Dog can't support me against bullies: I gave warnings to forum users, who insulted others, and, most importantly, I spoke out against servers who deliver broken content. I'll leave that one to you, to figure out... (I offered to write a small extension for the master server, so that bad servers would not have to be completely removed but instead could be just moved to the bottom of the list. X-Ray_Dog is in charge of the master server. He was not interested.)

Over the last year, I had a lot of discussions with contributors and interested players. Almost none of those discussions happened here in the forum (or in #assaultcube, for that matter). For the simple reason, that discussions in the forum were not possible. Several contributors refused to allow me to even bring their names up in the forum - because they didn't want to get dragged into the mud.

X-Ray_Dog is not really the owner of AC. He has simply taken over responsibility for the forum. He owns the forum. So it would be his responsibility to provide a safe working environment here for all contributors of the game. And moderation has proven to work: sure, Undead still only posts mindless nonsense, but he hasn't insulted anyone since his last ban timed out. But why would Marti have to start behaving properly, when X-Ray_Dog revokes even single-point warnings (for insults, btw) from his account?

X-Ray_Dog is sure, that there will be new releases of AC. One day. Eventually. There always have been, haven't they?

Good luck to grenadier, then. He's the last active coder who still commits code to the repository. But, of course, Marti is already gunning for him, too.

I want to thank all the players who walked in front of my shotgun or tripped onto one of my nades during the last eight years. It was the great matches with you all, what kept me here for that long. I also want to thank all the contributors of the game for the endless hours spent. Thank you all.

btw: my only condition for staying on the dev team was: that Vanquish has to keep his warning points for calling me "hitler". That was all I asked for.
Thanks given by:
KanslozeClown, Apollo, Jamz, Stef - To name but a few.

Four grown men who gave years of their free time for the good of the community. But time and time again were driven away by quite literally children. 

In light of that fact I will now make my proceeding views very clear. 

Some of the users on this forum, such as Marti and Vanquish (and Undead, previously) really lower the standard around here. They are clearly driven by one, quite frankly myopic goal: To make Assault Cube like Quake Live / Reflex. They will do anything (except doing it themselves) to get this goal as fast as they can, and if being a complete dick to those who give a lot of their free time for the game, so be it. I used to be a lot like this, you can check my old account on this forum ("Harps") or on ESReality and such to see, so I know first hand how unsustainable their goals are. They want our thing to be like this other thing (Quake Live / Reflex), that already exists, and already does it much better. They can't accept that our game has very limited resources and that, as Stef has clearly stated in these words before - It is "Put Up Or Shut Up". 

In fact, we see this clearly when Lucas and Drakas present their competitive AC client. Vanquish, for example, couldn't wait to pick holes in it and then refuse to play it. Again, no alternative offered. 
Sometimes in life you have to take it on the chin. Play the waiting game a bit.
These guys can't even do that.

Many of the other games I have played never had these kinds of problems in their forums or with their community. But we are now too far gone for even heavier moderation to fix it. Sad really, the needs of many outgunned time and time again by the needs of few - How little have we gained, and how much have we lost?
Thanks given by:
1.2 was released thanks to devs & community working together on this forum. 1.3 can as well.

Enjoy the new hobbies.
Thanks given by:
I revoked a warning put on 1Cap and Marti because you baited them into what happened, that's your own fault. The hitler thing wasn't even on or related to the forum. I can't believe your acting like a child because of THAT. I'd add quotes of your post to reply too but this post would be too big so I'll just address them accordingly.

You don't "bend over for the forum mob" because I revoked some of your last warnings that are clearly out of line.

You used the hidden forums fine, what was wrong with that?

Your speaking out against broken servers idea was to ban most of them from the MS.

This is a game, a first person shooter. This isn't hello kitty or Mickeys club house. The forum isn't going to be perfect. I'm not the only one revoking your warnings BTW.

I'm only in charge of the master server because it was kind of dumped on me. I've expressed lack of time to maintain it properly but no one's been willing to take on that task full time.

I don't own the forum, I host it. There's a difference. You were getting insulted for fairly obvious reasons. Many post were deleted and many users warned. Don't act like literally nothing was being done. Did you ever look into why people get insulted?

And the hitler thing again didn't even happen on the forum. 6 points for that is silly. That automatically suspends posting for something that didn't even happen on the forum. You say support the team but Vanquish is also apart of said team and well, see what happened?
Thanks given by:
(24 May 15, 10:32PM)Nightmare Wrote: 1.2 was released thanks to devs & community working together on this forum. 1.3 can as well.

Enjoy the new hobbies.

Perhaps, but both parties have ostracized each other to the point that any chance of reconciliation seems minimal.
Thanks given by:
Goodbye, ty for what you did for AC

Who says i'm gunning against grenadier??
Also, i have 30% warning level from warnings by you, idk what youre on about m9

Since we need new blood:
#Thrawn4Dev ?
Thanks given by:
Posting from Austria via wifi.

All I can say is that XRD won't have to worry about community members giving him shit, since he actually respects them. If you think I ever showed less respect to you than you did to me, then that says more about your intelligence than I ever could.

I won't pretend as though I'm sad you're leaving - but gl irl nevertheless.
Thanks given by:
-A Forum moderator can not revoke that another moderator did!
If xray did that he was abusing his powers, he did it because hosting the forum, only a demonstration of strength. This is abuse!
A moderator should not go over another moderator.
-Stef You are a good programmer and a moderator bad.
-Put me as moderator of this forum and in Facebook as administrator and I show you guys how things need to be done.

*No one need revoke my wp. Just be fair and it will not happen again.
Thanks given by:
(25 May 15, 01:53AM)1Cap Wrote: -Put me as moderator of this forum and in Facebook as administrator and I show you guys how things need to be done.

Ah what a comedian.
Thanks given by:
1Cap, I think undead has pretty much said the same thing about AC leadership. Is that something you would go for?
Thanks given by:
(25 May 15, 03:42AM)Mousikos Wrote: 1Cap, I think undead has pretty much said the same thing about AC leadership. Is that something you would go for?

1cap and Undead agreeing on something? Wow what a time to be alive!
Thanks given by:
Thank you for your contribution to making what AC is today and good luck with your new hobbies.
Thanks given by:
hi stef, you are a very technically skilled programmer.

however, and most unfortunately, you are very poor at dealing with other human beings.
unfortunately, creating games is difficult in that not everyone plays the same game. everyone experiences the game from a different point of view, and thus has a different experience. i think you have failed in this respect by imposing your will on everyone else, which would inevitably result in tension.

further, you very frequently overestimate your own capabilities in areas that you are not as comfortable as with programming. for example, it was incredibly amusing for you to attempt to actually -censor- me for discussing the law, when you don't have a very clear understanding of what the law is. furthermore, you have comparatively poor reading comprehension, which causes you to misinterpret and misunderstand what other people are trying to say. case in point: you frequently say that i am posting "mindless nonsense", when really, you are completely incapable of comprehending what i am saying most of the time.

I, honestly, would hope that you do not leave AC, but only if you were to purposefully avoid interfering in areas that you do not understand as well as others, and deferring that responsibility. I would hope that you would seek to avoid imposing your will upon the mechanisms of the game itself. we have more than enough examples of you failing in this regard. I am rather concerned at how you are handling this situation; you're handling this situation in an incredibly immature way, and this immaturity is particularly why many, many people are so critical of you.

regardless of your faults, your contributions in areas that you actually do understand have been good for the game as a whole, and there isn't any disagreement as to how much we appreciate those contributions.

it is also my personal opinion that grenadier should be permanently removed from AC as punishment for his transgressions.

(24 May 15, 09:57PM)Harps Wrote: KanslozeClown, Apollo, Jamz, Stef - To name but a few.
can we please not put jamz in the same bracket? he left for different reasons and is a remarkably less of a narcissistic asshole than the previous 2.

remember, in the absence of stef, your true savior is still here and will always be here with you.
Thanks given by:
thx stef!
Thanks given by:
"Congrats to Vanquish, G1gantuan and Marti. You've proven, that it's ok to personally insult me in the worst possible way, without any consequences for you whatsoever." I don't disagree with any of your contributions towards the technical areas of AC at all, but you should stop pretending you're a saint. I apologized to you on IRC for an insult months ago, and you still can't admit you're wrong for once - by the way, there's a big difference between saying "stop being a nazi" and directly calling you Hitler. You seem to think that they're the same, and I'd love to get the chat log in that IRC session. You insulted me for no reason at all then I retorted with "You're not Hitler". I'll remind you that you like to call names as well, "dimwit" "forum best" "AC Forum Jester" (no problem nightmare) and in previous discussions you've held a sarcastic tone against those with differing positions in opinion. And one time I was just trying to plead with you about my thread restriction and all you ever said was "it's not a ban" and basically trying to deny me of credibility with your trademark passive aggressive sarcasm. And hey, I can think up of even worse ways to insult aside from "ur acting like hitler kk". I've always thought of you as someone capable, yet with difficulty in understanding human nature. You often exaggerate your place, you really think you're above having a discussion with the real players of this game? Call us trolls and cower away in some protective sanctuary, that won't change the fact that you were wrong.

Strict moderation isn't that bad, but handled improperly - it's as destructive as trolls being rampant. Good luck with your future endeavors.
Thanks given by:
Posting from the incapacitated germanic Kingdom via satellit.

AC had great times. But its over - similar to the german Kingdom.

Today its called BRD were the most germanic/celtic humans live. How will asault cube get called in some years ,when all the decomposing moments has taken the leadership?

In germany their were some parties after the 1. Word war, who fighted against the jewish monopoly of opinion, which won the war... (they wanted to become free from/to stop: the international high finance, the stocket market, the privatisating of the national goods, the private banks, the interest rates from banks, the propaganda from the "occupying forces" -> TV, newspaper and radio, which was/is all in the hand of publicly traded firms in USA, exterminate of the germanic folk; and the jewish Religion). The national Sozialism (trying to become free from the Weimarer Republik) and the RAF (BRD times) were the most famous Freedom-FIghter in the german History. How is it in assault cube? Why they all leaving and give up?!

stef, please change your mind and stay. Dont run away from this jewish hussies!

AC is one of the biggest proves, why this moment is really Culture destructive. From which culture, came the most technically and philosophycally advanced in this world? And from which culture comes all the bad moments like fornication, rassism, exploitation, expiration, anti nationality now?

(hope, that i not get banned for my opinion... if yes, it will just prooves, that ac is also already infiltrated by "it"...)

If someone ios interested in the topics religion, politic and hostory just pm me!

Greets from a dissident - Sheriff
Thanks given by:
thanks sheriff
Thanks given by:
(25 May 15, 09:03AM)Sheriff Wrote: Greets from a dissident - Sheriff

not 2 b taken seriously in case anyone can't spot a real trole
Thanks given by:
Stef,

Thank you for all the work you've put into AC.  Thank you for putting up with all the endless headaches for as long as you did.  Though I didn't agree with the way you often went about things on the forums, on several occasions I did agree with the ideas behind them; it was just the execution that was problematic (in my opinion).  In regards to your development work: after trying and failing to wrap my head around C / C++, and after seeing how much of a mess the AC source can be, I hold great respect for your programming abilities.  In addition, I respect the way you have put in endless hours of your free time into development, despite practically zero appreciation for all your hard work.  You weren't perfect, but you were a good developer.  

May you have health, happiness, and at least relative prosperity.  I wish you the best of luck in your future endeavors.  Fare well, and goodbye.

-Thrawn  
Thanks given by:
(24 May 15, 09:57PM)Harps Wrote:  Some of the users on this forum, such as Marti and Vanquish (and Undead, previously) really lower the standard around here. They are clearly driven by one, quite frankly myopic goal: To make Assault Cube like Quake Live / Reflex.    

nice little edit, now can you make your own thread so we can idolize your philosophical train of thought? Such grandeur, you must have so much more to contribute than these spammers who think they can express their opinions!
Thanks given by:
(24 May 15, 09:57PM)Harps Wrote: KanslozeClown, Apollo, Jamz, Stef - To name but a few.

Four grown men who gave years of their free time for the good of the community. But time and time again were driven away by quite literally children. 

no, one grown man who did that, and three man-children.

(24 May 15, 09:57PM)Harps Wrote: Some of the users on this forum, such as Marti and Vanquish (and Undead, previously) really lower the standard around here.

no, i am still the same. not that i am lowering the standard. i do find it amusing how you're ignoring all the times i've attacked people other than stef since i've been unbanned. but i suppose that doesn't matter, because those people don't matter, do they?

(24 May 15, 09:57PM)Harps Wrote: They are clearly driven by one, quite frankly myopic goal: To make Assault Cube like Quake Live / Reflex.

i dont even play QL lol. you're taking your own supposed previous immaturity and believing that we are simply younger versions of you going through the same process, when in reality you are still in a stage of immaturity.

(24 May 15, 09:57PM)Harps Wrote: They can't accept that our game has very limited resources and that, as Stef has clearly stated in these words before - It is "Put Up Or Shut Up". 

no, amazingly, in spite of the developers efforts to turn away potential developers for years on end, there is still a great number of people around who can contribute to AC. its just that the developer's collective internal attitude (that you are seemingly becoming incensed with. this type of attitude is poisonous and intoxicating) prevents such people from actually contributing to AC.

(24 May 15, 09:57PM)Harps Wrote: In fact, we see this clearly when Lucas and Drakas present their competitive AC client. Vanquish, for example, couldn't wait to pick holes in it and then refuse to play it. Again, no alternative offered. 

no, no, no, stop misrepresenting the situation. did you forget the part where the actual problem was that w00p had the prime motive of controlling competitive AC play with the implementation of this client? that only they could control what maps were played, as it was built into the server binary (which was closed source), and could only be played on their servers? did you also forget to mention how lucas is an untrustworthy source, considering that he implemented something that checked what processes you were running on your computer in the 2013 ACWC client?

(24 May 15, 09:57PM)Harps Wrote: Many of the other games I have played never had these kinds of problems in their forums or with their community.

in many instances, they don't even need to listen to the community because they actually know what the hell they are doing.

(24 May 15, 09:57PM)Harps Wrote: Sad really, the needs of many outgunned time and time again by the needs of few - 
How little have we gained, and how much have we lost?

be careful, fellow cubers, for this is an incredibly deceptive statement, and it pains me when harps thinks he can get away with it. has harps even, for a second, considered that the developers might actually be in the wrong? no! they are infallible! we must give thanks to our leaders, our gods! any criticism is undue, please them or they may leave us and send locusts and the plague in their stead!

the correlations are too much, i can't help but wonder if harps actually wants us to treat the developers as gods, with an ego as fragile as the Christian one, rather than as mature human beings.

do you know what separated jamz from the other people you have listed? for all of his faults, of which there were in fact many, he wasn't a man-child. does anyone else find it interesting that jamz is idolized, yet he never actually contributed anything to the game? its because harps is framing his debate around those who have power to change the game vs those who do not, and views those who do not as brats who need to be smacked into line. maybe the brats, who play games all day, know a bit more about games than their supposed teachers who do not know much at all comparatively?
Thanks given by:
Sry but i dont want AC to turn into Quake, you are wrong harps. Ever thought that we didnt offer an alternative for lucas' match client because not everyone can code? Lmao
To make things clear for you, i did stuff for the ac wiki, i did stuff for the competitive scene, i tested the beta version, i set up another test enviroment thing when stef(?) posting smth that he needed testers, i reported bugs. Please tell me how i didnt do shit.
Thanks given by:
Let's get a list of stef's best commits since 1.2 came out. :)
Thanks given by:
You just can't come here and say people freely attacked you, also it's not correct at all to accuse XRD for his responsabilities, especially when you mean that he owns those responsabilities because he used to financially support the game. Stef, you did not realise the amount of power that was in your hands, you had clearly no idea about how what you thought were small things could have some important impacts on the game and on this forum. I really do not give a damn about the strict moderation, as long as it was here to at least show limits to some people, I don't even care about how pretentious and arrogant your posts could be, but what really infuriated people here and me especially is that you seemed to never read a bit of all the feedbacks you had. Your behavior toward the hax-jump just showed the world how ridiculous you could be in public talks, at this point, you had to be very clever to post something without beeing attacked, but you were not clever, then you complained about people pointing out your lack of cleverness. I find this situation insanelly dumb especially when we check at your impressive coding skills and code comprehension (you can basically read in a bowl of spaghetti), I am really disappointed to see you refusing to cooperate more with the feedbacks.

I am not sure about Jamz, but I think it's not the reason why he left, he is strong enough to handle way more complex situations, except when comes my teamkill.

Of course I won't defend Marti's behavior at all, his small cheap and punctuationless sentences by hundreds never helped a bit this game in any form but I already spoke about it even before Stef came back to the dev team, it's useless to come back to it again, it won't change anyway. I also won't defend those who contributed to take down any probable positive changes to this game (Speaking about Lucas/Drakas work too), when the 1.1 came and things started to change in a way I did not like, I was creating memes and trying to participate more to devs' decision, I was attacking those who were abusing the system, not the devs who unintentionally created breaches.

Good luck in the future.
Thanks given by:
Just to make that clear: what I tried to accomplish here, did actually work. After a long decline where the playerbase went from 300 online to 30 online and almost all contributors had left the game, the forum was slowly coming around. Insults and destructive behaviour on the forum were on a record-low, some small useful discussions emerged undisturbed - the need for moderation was actually declining. Also, my attempts to build up new testers began to work (of course not among the usual bigmouths... no surprise here) and several old and competent former contributors started showing interest in the game again. Things were looking good. My attempt to treat forum members as responsible people did work. The rules for moderation were clear: no insults and offtopic only in "Offtopic". Most of the forum users had no problem with that. You make an error, you get a reasonable punishment. I got two warning points myself - and it did not hurt me. Go ahead, compare discussions of April and May to older threads - or to this one. It went downhill quite quickly, now that it is clear, that there won't be any moderation anymore, won't you say?

(24 May 15, 11:18PM)Vanquish Wrote: All I can say is that XRD won't have to worry about community members giving him shit, since he actually respects them.
Yes. According to xrd, forum members are "sheep" who "need guidance" (direct quote!). Stupid of me to think, that forum members were responsible enough to be able tell right and wrong and to understand, that insults will have consequences. Apparently, xrd was right, you are actually sheep, who don't know better. And xrd respects sheep.

The "no insults and no offtopic outside 'offtopic'" was what xrd agreed on - it was a team decision, IIRC. I did strictly nothing else than enforce that. What was agreed upon, by everyone. But, of course, xrd suddenly felt, that getting a single warning point was unbearable for Marti and so he revoked /all/ warning points that I issued during the last weeks (which were two single point warnings... so much for "you nearly insta ban people for single posts that aren't even that bad"). I have no idea, why xrd acts like he does - but one thing was very clear: he only had problems with warnings when I was the target of the insult.

I tend to ignore the fact, that some players and forum members are still little kids. Most should know better - but prefer to act like little kids. In the real world, it is common knowledge, that there is exactly one person that can be called hitler - and he died exactly 70 years ago. If you do not know that, then I feel truly sorry for you. For you, your school and your teachers and your parents. For everyone, who ever tried to educate you and failed miserably. Ask your grandmother about this. Vanquish, please feel free to explain, how you think, it is acceptable to compare me with a man who is responsible for over 50 million deaths? I would really like your reasoning on this. From what I recall, I moved a few posts of you to "Offtopic" because they were just that: off topic where you posted them. I moved the whole sub-thread, so you could continue your "discussion" where it was more appropriate. I agree, you may compare me to someone who killed two or three people for that - but 50 million? really? And just so you know: xrd said, I should have deleted offtopic posts completely - and issue warnings, if they are reposted. What would you have called him? hitler^3? I'm serious: what is your beef with me? According to xrd, you are a member of the dev team: why did you attack me?

Undead, I won't go into details about licenses again. You should stick to stuff like your highly sophisticated "guide to mid skill". That's what you're good at and what your followers love. The law is clearly not your area if you can't understand, that the laws of your country can not be applied to a worldwide game like AC. TBH, the law is also not my area - which is why I talked to actual lawyers about it. AC has many players of many areas...
And I "censored" your internet-folklore point-of-view, because a) it was completely wrong and b) it was also really immature advice to give to others. IMHO you should even ask the creator of media files that you want to use if the law doesn't require you to. It's just common courtesy to do so. Probably another area, where you're no expert in, no?

(24 May 15, 10:38PM)X-Ray_Dog Wrote: And the hitler thing again didn't even happen on the forum. 6 points for that is silly.
A few minutes later it was already copied to the forum - and when I deleted it, it was reposted immediately. You did not delete that repost. You did not issue warning points for anyone - even though, you keep claiming, that you do moderate the forum. If "6 points" was the right number? You insisted, that 0 points were the only possible way. Zero. Nothing. No consequences at all. Not for the one who said it. Not for the one who spread the word about it. And not for anyone who cheered about it. Nothing. I think, that raises another question... what is your beef with me? What did I do to you? Or is this just your "true colors of friendliness"?

(24 May 15, 10:38PM)X-Ray_Dog Wrote: You used the hidden forums fine, what was wrong with that?
Of course this worked fine. But the dev team is mostly inactive, so what good is a safe space for discussions, if only three people use it? I wanted the community to get involved in the work again. AC is a team effort of players and devs - and you really want to claim, that it's okay to leave the forum to the mob (sry, "sheep") because the hidden part still works fine? Didn't you see the forum members repeatedly say, that they want to be involved? How this is an "open source" game? You say, that it is more important, that a few can freely insult who they want and scare away contributors than to have a forum where all interested parties can come together and work towards a common goal? Would you please look up the word "forum"?

(24 May 15, 10:38PM)X-Ray_Dog Wrote: Your speaking out against broken servers idea was to ban most of them from the MS.
Banning is the only option that the current MS offers. Mostly, because you couldn't be bothered to invest ten minutes to recompile and restart it. But it's just adequate, that you argue in favour of unmaintained servers - given that it's the same approach you take on moderating the forum. At least your behaviour is consistent.

G1gantuan, you /intentionally/ flooded the forum with offtopic nonsense posts and didn't stop after being warned several times - so you got suspended. And after a while you were allowed to post again. How is any of that my fault? Why do you blame others for your errors? It was your actions that provoked a reaction. You had more than enough warning and were given another chance. That is exactly, how responsible people get treated. If you instead want to be treated as an irresponsible little child: this forum may not be the right place for you, don't you think? After all, the main topic is a game about shooting others. Not really the best environment for a little kid, no?

ExodusS, you are still trying to argue in favour of people who don't give a damn about their servers. If the next release would trash your harddisk, because the devs didn't bother to test it before release - would you also think, that this is ok? Right now, if anyone actually manages to install the game and he really manages to get the server list, once he installs the newest version over the one he got from the packet manager or he manages to change the default from "broken XP mode" to "actually working from your home dir mode" - what will his next experience be with this game? On more than half of the servers, he will start in a bright white room and will immediately be killed from someone who hides in a wall - or he will start in another white room, where mute players shoot at the ground, trying to jump up that white wall? And if one of those players falls down, he will disappear and re-appear at the start. If that new player will try to shoot at one of those, he will be auto-kicked by the modified server. When he then finally stumbles into a real match, others will call him noob and will vote to kick him for shooting at the first player he saw - not knowing that this was supposed to be his team mate (hmm - can xrd get kicked for teamkilling me?). There are also chances, that during the loading of the map, a lot of errors will show up - and all players will walk over invisible bridges on a weirdly grey map with "missing content" written all over it. And anyone wonders, that no new players join this game? And your best opinion on this topic is to argue with the single dev team member who would at least improve that situation a little bit, by getting server owners to fix their content (by simply running a script that they go WITH THE GAME)? Sry, but I can't take you seriously, if you act like that...

ExodusS, I knew very well, that I never had any actual power. That is because I never wanted power over the game. All I wanted to do, was to work on the game as a member of the team. I did care about the feedback, that I got on the forum. If you think, I ignored feedback, you are wrong. But not everyone can get every wish granted - or do you think, I could just make any change that I wanted? What do you think, how far I would have gotten with that? A little over a year ago, I started three threads to ask the forum community for their opinions and, of course, I read all of them. I was those threads who got me involved in AC development again. I used that feedback to plot a course to the next release. It was me, who said, that it's not enough to discuss the next release in a hidden forum just among a small circle. I used that hidden forum as well - but only to discuss topics that would have harmed the game when discussed in the open. Or simple yes or no questions about development details. I wanted the forum to be usable enough for the interesting and important discussions.

And let me tell you my view on this game's future:
This thread, and what it brought to light so far, shows clearly, that most of the real contributors have long left. Those, who are still here, have no idea, how a community game is built. For you, all that there is to this game, is a forum to goof around - and once in a while, a new release "just happens". That's how it has always been, why would that ever change. Well - I have news for you: this game has no active developer left, who can actually work unsupervised on the code core. You may not have been aware of this, but in the past, drian, flowtron and brahma, all had eihrul to proof-read their code and iron out their bugs. When I stumbled onto stuff, that felt weird to me, I also asked eihrul. And last time we talked, he made it quite clear, that he won't be fixing bugs on this engine anymore. And, to be blunt, with eihrul gone and me gone, this game is finished. Sure, it may be possible to find other coders who will put up with this situation for a while - but to really take over development? Where are these people? Wouldn't they by now have showed themselves? Do you really think, you will find new workers, who will invest hundreds and thousands of hours in a dying game?

Sure, you can find someone, who will tweak the weapons once more (after all, that's just changing a few numbers in a table) and adjust the pickup timings once more and make a whole new release of it. You can also include my work, that I've done so far - even though only half of it is already on github. After all, I'm almost halfway through with the work for the next release. But after that? Who will continue to actually develop things?
The one, who introduced the sound bug, couldn't find it himself. Who knows, how to fix the servers, so they can't be used to attack the master server anymore? Who found a solution, that would allow to ban the cheaters without having to blacklist whole countries? Who understands the protocol well enough to fix the unnecessary lag issues that plagued the game since 1.1? Now? No one.

I may add: it was no team decision, to leave me standing in the rain. X-Ray_Dog decided that all by himself. The shepherd of the forum flock.
Thanks given by:
stef Wrote:And I "censored" your internet-folklore point-of-view, because a) it was completely wrong
I'm just going to point out this one thing, because it shows your entire method of thought behind your moderation.

Why the hell do you think that you can censor content, merely because you disagree with it, or find it incorrect? This is a perfect example of the subjective moderation and the narcissism that drives every single decision of yours. You need to learn that your opinion is not always right, that your opinion is not always unflawed, and that your opinions are not law.
In addition to this, you need to realize that your code isn't really that good. You don't understand several fundamental aspects of the development cycle, and you certainly know nothing about proper code quality. Sure, you can get things done, and you can get them done in a timely manner, but that is not all that programming is about. Code quality is one of the most essential skills of developing, and one you lack.

Know what another essential development skill is? Communication. Oh yes, you lack this one too. For obvious reasons, I don't now how your communication skills with your fellow developers are, in your private forums, but I can certainly see how poor you are at interacting with the community. Sure, the people here aren't the nicest folks around, but the way you react is abysmal. Not only that, but you get pissed at people (and use your moderator powers to warn/ban them) for "insults" that you, hypocritically, use yourself.

Anyway, as Thrawn said, thank you for dedicating your time to AC. I hope that you learned valuable lessons from this whole experience that will help you in life (although I'm going to guess not, considering your narcissistic tendencies.) You did do some good for AC, even if your methods are complete and utter crap.
Thanks given by:
http://pastebin.com/raw.php?i=02TPY8LX
http://pastebin.com/raw.php?i=jqTG6GJB

Also, I'm curious: You seem to have your biggest issue with me judging by the almost dozen times you mention me in your posts. So lets switch. What if I left completely and you came back. Would that make things better? Arguing isn't getting anywhere, does it ever?
Thanks given by:
If you say, the earth is flat, you are wrong. That's not an opinion, that's a fact. Undead was wrong. Simple as that.

Not everything is up for discussion or just a matter of opinions. Some things are just fact.

Also - where did I claim to follow any coding standards? But if you're trying to throw shit, please provide some proof or examples. Otherwise you're just as credible as I am, when I say, you are ugly.
Thanks given by:
stef Wrote:If you say, the earth is flat, you are wrong.

Yes, of course.  However, you can't censor their post merely because they are wrong.  If I want to post and tell people the earth is flat, that is my prerogative, and you have no right to delete my post, although you can feel free to tell me I'm wrong in an intelligent reply.

stef Wrote:Also - where did I claim to follow any coding standards?

I'm not even sure what you mean by this...you didn't claim to follow standards, you simply don't.

stef Wrote:But if you're trying to throw shit, please provide some proof or examples.

This has nothing to do with "throwing shit."  I'm merely explaining to you what you need to fix if you want to become a decent developer.  In regards to the proof and examples, I would be happy to pick through all your github commits, but that takes a decent amount of time and space, and I'm fairly certain the forums are not the place for that.
Thanks given by:
Undead claimed, that acr is not illegal, when indeed it steals game media and uses it without permission (including media files from me, that's why I can be sure about it). And the "opinion", that it is okay to steal the media from a game is certainly not okay on the forum of said game.

You are making comments about my coding without providing even one simple example - which there should be plenty and freely accessible available - unless you are just trying to throw some shit. Oh wait, you can't be bothered to look at the commits. How do you know the quality of them, then?

Also: where are your contributions to AC? Where is your code? Why should anyone believe, that you are not just one of those who blame the code for being bad, when in fact they just can't read anything more complex than a "Hello, World"?

And how does my code have anything to do with me being insulted? Vanquish never saw that code. How does my code have anything to do with xrd not having my back? He certainly never saw my code...
Thanks given by: