My map does not meet requisites!?
Recently when I upgraded to the newer version of Assault Cube, I realized one of the maps that I made that me and my friends always play does not meet the requisites to be played on multiplayer in the newer version.

I did some research and found that Assault Cube now does not allow you to host a map on multiplayer if it has over 10,000 square cubes of open space, items to close to each other etc.

I went through the process of remaking my entire map to fit these requirements, and yet still when I try to host my map on MY server, it gives me the message: "sorry, but your map does not meet the requisites to be played on multiplayer."

So my question is, where can I find a full list of requisites required so that I can finally play my map with my friends. And how can I find out which of the the requisites I am missing?

If anybody wants me to upload my map here so that you can see it and tell me whats wrong, I can do that.

Also, why does assault cube even require these requisites? Its an open source game, I am hosting my own server, yet I cannot chose the map I want to play with my clan. It seems ridiculous.
Thanks given by:
(05 Sep 10, 01:21AM)MasterApple Wrote: Also, why does assault cube even require these requisites? Its an open source game, I am hosting my own server, yet I cannot chose the map I want to play with my clan. It seems ridiculous.

Reason #1:
X player has the idea to make a different kind of map, something that breaks the laws of physics of the game, nothing like ac_desert or ac_shine; something completely new! He starts making the map where you start in a little room, fall down an endless tunnel down where you will meet the enemy with 100 grenades being thrown everywhere and thousands of spray bullets shooting everywhere, how fun! He votes it in a server, and tons of people start pouring in to check out the map. The following day 5 servers now have that map on their server 3/4 of the day. Now for the next 2-4 months this map will be the next TwinTowers/Headshot City obsession until another X player decides to make another map.

Reason #2:
X player wants to play a normal map, not something that is too big or too weird, just something like ac_power, or ac_arid; but wait. There are only 3 servers with those kind of maps and all of them are full, how devastating! He gets frustrated since he wants to play them, so he decides to leave the game since it's stupid he can't play maps that were made to fit the requirements of the game.

I know what you mean, that how much harm will it do if you make your own map for only one server; your server, but that's how it starts and then servers start having maps that someone makes in 10 minutes while well-made maps where you don't drop 100 meters down should be the ones played. True, AC is an open-sourced game, but it came to a point where most of all were tired of all those weird maps (e.g. !!!GEMMMA_JUNGLEWITHBUNNYS_DABESTEVA!!!!).

This wasn't intended to offend in any way, but I will from now on put into a file all the reasons why this is the way it is so people don't need to explain themselves to new people.

I'm pretty sure you will be able to improve your map so it fits the requirements, it would also be helpful if you could upload it, and I hope someone here has the patience and kindness to help you out :)
Thanks given by:
wait if that is the reason for the "crap map" restriction why didnt they make that an optional thing that is on by default and can be turned off by the owner of the server, that way people can still play their "crap maps" on servers that allow it(or if they host their own server) and there are still plenty of servers that allow normal maps, then everyone is happy

also at the original poster, 30 cubes is the highest the ceiling can be at any part of the map and pickups have to be so many cubes apart(cant remember the number right now)
Thanks given by:
(05 Sep 10, 02:10AM)Kush_Slayer Wrote: wait if that is the reason for the "crap map" restriction why didnt they make that an optional thing that is on by default and can be turned off by the owner of the server, that way people can still play their "crap maps" on servers that allow it.
Cause then they can simply turn it off and the same story starts again ;)
Thanks given by:
Well if somebody makes a map just for their server, and people like it so much that it starts being voted in on other servers, well then obviously the majority of the people enjoy the map, or it wouldn't be voted in. If you are unhappy with this, create your own server, or join one of the many servers that don't allow users to vote on other maps.

If a map is actually 'crappy', then obviously people will not want to play it.

Basically you are saying that when the majority of players like a map, they are all wrong, and the small minority can declare the map crappy. Sounds fair to me.

Its all a bit ironic though, thanks for making Assault Cube open source so we can fix this problem our selves.
Thanks given by:
(05 Sep 10, 07:27AM)MasterApple Wrote: If you are unhappy with this, create your own server, or join one of the many servers that don't allow users to vote on other maps.
Thing is, I don't feel unhappy, neither feel the need to make my own server since: 1. my internet can't hold one and 2. the devs already blocked them :)
By crappy maps I don't mean no one likes them cause they suck, I mean those maps aren't made for this game :)
Just accept the fact that after many discussions about this the devs decided what they did for a purpose.

Just drop this discussion already, lol, this has been discussed way too many times I'm getting sick of it. Get back to the point of your thread of making your map legal.
Thanks given by:
Not this again...
Thanks given by:
Bukz, he has got an answer, close this.
Thanks given by:
Draul he doesn't want an answer, he wants a solution. He just got excited with trying to troll a bit with the restrictions.
Thanks given by:
Well does somebody at least want to direct me to where I can find a full list of the requisites?
Thanks given by:
(05 Sep 10, 02:10AM)Kush_Slayer Wrote: ...30 cubes is the highest the ceiling can be at any part of the map...
I believe that the average height must be less than 30 cubes, not the maximum.

Also - http://forum.cubers.net/thread-714-post-...l#pid12730

Unfortunately, 1.1.0.2 and 1.1.0.3 have been removed as official releases/updates. You'd have to dig around at sourceforge to find them.

edit: Is this right? After posting, I though, "30 cubes? That's not very high." What is a cube anyway? If it's one of those little blocks on a map, 30 of those wouldn't go anywhere. In case you hadn't guessed, I'm not a mapper.
Thanks given by:
Hmmm, well I made the average ceiling height 30 cubes, I did the math and no area of the floor is more than 10,000 square cubes of open space, I spread the pick ups out, and I am fairly sure the flags are far enough apart and the floor isn't to low.
Thanks given by:
Do you want a second opinion? We could meet on |NZ|Weta and I could take a look at it and let you know what areas might be causing the problems or what not...
Thanks given by:
Alright, yea if you have time i'll be on |NZ|Weta
Thanks given by:
30 cubes is not much
Thanks given by:
Ain't that just fucked up. They're preventing what YOU can do on your own server. Someone needs to fork AC and de-fuckify it.
Thanks given by:
i just made a test map and it is the ceiling cant be higher than 30 cubes, not the average height has to be 30 cubes

also 30 cubes is high enough to make a 3 floor building map but not enough to have a twin towers dropoff like thing
Thanks given by:
What's wrong with a twin towers drop map
Thanks given by:
(05 Sep 10, 07:32PM)Zomg! Wrote: Ain't that just fucked up. They're preventing what YOU can do on your own server. Someone needs to fork AC and de-fuckify it.

de-fuckify !!!
Very funny!!
Thanks given by:
someone already started their own 1.0.4 master server, im not gonna give the link to it becuase i dont know if the mods would get mad about it
Thanks given by:
There's cube4you and Drakas' masterserver, find the links around these forums.
Thanks given by:
i retract my previous statement about the ceiling height being 30 cubes over the whole map as i just played a map where the ceiling was 42 cubes high in some parts(pool carnage), the restriction must be an average height of 30 cubes(so in theory if you wanted to you could remake twin towers with a massive outer inaccessible part with a ceiling of height of 1 to make up for the huge drop)
Thanks given by:
(06 Sep 10, 02:38AM)Kush_Slayer Wrote: so in theory if you wanted to you could remake twin towers with a massive outer inaccessible part with a ceiling of height of 1 to make up for the huge drop
Yes, but you would probably would want to change your name after you made it :D
I used to think that these rules were stupid, and then I came out of my noobyness, and realized that my gameplay improved with these rules. There are only one or two maps I want back now :D
Thanks given by:
i still think this whole rule is stupid. Almost all of the AC maps are boring BECAUSE they have restrictions and are tiny. I miss maps like Skyscraper City and Gema Maps because they were full of tricks and were just flat out fun. And besides, the main 10 or so servers are constantly running the AC maps and so if people wanted to play the real AC they could just go onto those because there are always people on them.
Thanks given by:
(05 Sep 10, 07:27AM)MasterApple Wrote: Well if somebody makes a map just for their server, and people like it so much that it starts being voted in on other servers, well then obviously the majority of the people enjoy the map, or it wouldn't be voted in. If you are unhappy with this, create your own server, or join one of the many servers that don't allow users to vote on other maps.

If a map is actually 'crappy', then obviously people will not want to play it.

Basically you are saying that when the majority of players like a map, they are all wrong, and the small minority can declare the map crappy. Sounds fair to me.

Its all a bit ironic though, thanks for making Assault Cube open source so we can fix this problem our selves.

While nothing will ever change I applaud your enthusiasm and "facts and scientific data" (most people won't get that joke) :)
Thanks given by:
"Crap Map" or not, I'm sure if you followed the link here you'd likely be able to improve it enough so that it would be allowed. Excellent article jam-packed with mapping advice.
Thanks given by:
* V-Man slaps duct tape on emo's mouth
Shut up! You like it!
Thanks given by:
(13 Sep 10, 04:18AM)GreaterBeing Wrote: [...] Almost all of the AC maps are boring BECAUSE they have restrictions and are tiny. I miss maps like Skyscraper City and Gema Maps because they were full of tricks and were just flat out fun. [...]

Saying all default maps are boring because of the way they are is like complaining about Metallica whould be a great band if they only left out those damn distorted guitars...

The point is, you actually don't like the game itself and obviously refuse to understand how it works. Therefore all I can advice is to look for another game which suits your needs. There are plenty.

In my honest opinion, all those guys which exclusively like to play maps just as Twin_Towers and gemas haven't even scratched the surface of AC's true gameplay and probably never will.

"Oppression?"

Uh huh. Big words there. You may report AC to Amnesty International and see what they'll tell you about oppression. Seriously guys, start using your brains before posting all that nonsense in here. It's getting ridiculous...
Thanks given by:
"It's getting ridiculous..."

Uh huh... right. SO, how's keller coming along? Nice gameplay by the way, seeing as no one plays it anymore but OK. Since you know SOO MUCH about gameplay, why don't you make a map that people actually want to play?

or

You could just continue accusing others of not knowing the "gameplay" of AC, like the snobbish little mapper you are...

or

try and make a map people will actually PLAY. Keyword being play. Where they actually connect and shoot guns i.e. AC.
Thanks given by:
I'd like to see MorganKell make a map.

Anyway:
http://akimbo.in/forum/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=260
Thanks given by: