ACKA servers, do they deserve to be in masterserver?
Y'all are asking the right question but not in the right way.
Thanks given by:
(02 May 15, 02:54AM)MorganKell Wrote: Y'all are asking the right question but not in the right way.

its why you have a knife and we dont
Thanks given by:
(02 May 15, 02:30AM)Mousikos Wrote: So I could host a server that blacklists 0.0.0.0-256.256.256.256

Or you could just host a password-protected server. We have plenty of those (and zero complaints about them). What's your point.

(As a sidenote: it's incredibly funny, how the same people, who cry "censorship" all the time also complain about the lack thereof - depending on whatever suits them. Except, it's not funny.)
Thanks given by:
Well because most of the passwords are.... "match"
Thanks given by:
Not all passwords are known to the public.

Btw - regarding "removing servers from the list"... I'm thinking of removing every server with unconverted 1.1 map config files. If you can't fix your shit in over a year, you're obviously not capable of running a proper server.
Thanks given by:
It's a good thing XRD controls the MS then
Thanks given by:
Oh? How about you go ahead and back that up by explaining why badly managed servers need to be on the list?
Thanks given by:
Ty Stef for replying: I appreciated it. On the same time I think we are experiencing something different. When you say...

Quote:But, since you'll always have to deal with some weird servers (of whatever kind): the serverbrowser has nice bookmark feature... just pick a few servers with reliably good connection (press F9 then F2) and a nice stack of maps in a good maprot (press F9 then M) and bookmark them. If no good game is running that allows you to join (what do you do with full servers, btw) - just start a new one with a nice map and mode. It'll take a few minutes longer to get a game running, but if you pick a good map, the server will fill up quick enough...

... I really wonder if you join the game here and there. Probably you do, I hope so, but for sure not in my timezone. What you describe it was possible maybe one year ago. Now if you start a server you can stay there hours, alone.  Not so funny. It is an emergency: if all the good players keep on running away from the game, it will die soon.

This brings us back to the OP. This all was NOT in any case regarding my personal ban: as said I cannot care less about that. Whoever I know (old players, mainly) is banned there. If it was not something of general interest I would not loose anybody's time in reading this.

Nevertheless, what I read in your and others answer is a symptom often observed here: a quite well known one. Whenever should be taken a decision, there is always someone hiding behind technical answers. This is not the case. Decisions implies participation: and participate, from the etymology of the word, is partem capere. to line up with one party.

I do not want to show off, but in the last ten years I built an online community, a huge one. It is what gives me my salary. I would never succeed without taking decisions. Of course to do that I had, and always have, to be part of it. I could not do it if I just observed things from the distance. I do not know if it is your case: I know you came back lately and I see you are active. 
Tho I cannot say it was so for the past.
Thanks given by:
#Ketar4Dev

i agree with this part

(04 May 15, 06:04PM)ketar Wrote: Whenever should be taken a decision, there is always someone hiding behind technical answers. This is not the case. Decisions implies participation: and participate, from the etymology of the word, is partem capere. to line up with one party.
Thanks given by:
At what time of day (GMT) are aCKa servers "the only game in town"? Right now, the only game on all aCKa servers is the one that I started a while earlier there myself... (before that, they were all empty while 10+ others were not)

As for the rest of your post: you've made a giant step towards my personal ignore list.
Thanks given by:
(04 May 15, 05:41PM)stef Wrote: Oh? How about you go ahead and back that up by explaining why badly managed servers need to be on the list?

Well, they currently don't break any of the rules:

Quote:Servers will be banned from reporting to the Master Server if they have gameplay-affecting modifications (without using a modified protocol), if they use unvaried map rotations, or if they are noted by multiple AC forum users as being undesirable in some way, eg. constant offensiveness/abuse by admins.

!reset is a gameplay affecting command; it allows the user to respawn immediately, contrary to the respawn times in individual modes.
The following servers have been removed (26/10/2012) :
Thanks given by:
Yeah, that clearly states, that servers which deliver broken content, are golden. How could I miss that...
Thanks given by:
(04 May 15, 06:43PM)stef Wrote: As for the rest of your post: you've made a giant step towards my personal ignore list.
elaborate that, try please.
It sounds so defensive, and I can't understand why
Thanks given by:
(04 May 15, 07:01PM)stef Wrote: Yeah, that clearly states, that servers which deliver broken content, are golden. How could I miss that...

It's not explicitly disallowed. Why don't you ask the other devs and the player base for their opinion first?
Thanks given by:
No. No one can reasonably expect servers that cause walls of errors on proper clients - only because of lazy admins - to be "implicitly ok". Not to forget: the maps look like shit, delivered like that. I'm pretty sure, that mappers are not ok, if their content is mistreated that way.

I'm not looking forward to that cleaning, since it also hits servers with /really/ nice custom maps in rotation like "GhostBusters |CH|". But if we don't act, we'll have unconverted configs forever.

If you can't get the conversion script to work by yourself, use http://xrd.me/servers/cc/
Thanks given by:
Slightly off topic from the original post, but oh well. This has been my problem since 1.2 was in the working. There are a select number of maps, namely "old classics" that won't either meet the requirements or won't get converted, or both. Now don't get me wrong, I'm all for the map requirements, 100% actually. My issue here is forcing every single map for previous versions to go through a conversion. That has always seemed like a huge waste of time for most mappers. There is 0 chance I will sit there and run conversion after conversion after conversion to get unfinished maps, maps that were to be updated, maps that didn't make it as big (but still enjoy), and various others that could fall into some sort of category. Now, I do know the reasoning behind doing so, I'm aware of that much. But once again, not everyone was thought of during an update. What about the people that don't happen on the forum often, they are left in the dark on old maps and fail to understand why these maps are broken (matter of a fact, this just happened to someone that had been here awhile that never bothered to take up mapping, I ended up fixing a bunch of files for them so they could play them again). The conversion is a broken system that only thinks about similar packaging and not the people out there doing the work to go in said packaging. That's always been a bother of mine in this version and it will continue to be regardless of whatever self-sided opinion you try to justify the conversion. You be selective of course and not everyone or even every dev.
Thanks given by:
(04 May 15, 06:43PM)stef Wrote: At what time of day (GMT) are aCKa servers "the only game in town"? 

I did not say this. I said:

"Given the state of the art of AC, it happens often that during the day (GMT time) there is only a single pub server working as meeting point for players (+some gema and/or servers with nooby maprot). When it happens to be one of the ACKA servers (kinda often) this means that all the people banned cannot join."

On another hand I noticed Stef himself said something important

"Servers will be banned from reporting to the Master Server… if they are noted by multiple AC forum users as being undesirable in some way, eg. constant offensiveness/abuse by admins"

Isn't this exactly the case? 

Probably I will not have an answer, given that now I made that giant step towards stef's personal ignore list... He wrote me in private telling me that he felt attacked and that I was arrogant. I told him he was overreacting and it wasn't my intention at all to attack him. Sadly I had no answer.
In case I once again give him my public excuses: no bad feelings on my side against someone I do not know.

Anyhow guys, this is not a major issue. We can of course keep on like that. But also solving minor issues could be a sign of attention. 
Thanks given by:
Well. Since all the facts have been talked about (and some have moved on to fiction), I'm closing this before someone gets suspended.

IMO, aCKa servers have a better chance of getting banned for spamming the console than for "not letting everyone play". But before that, all servers with broken maps would be up, so be careful what you wish for.
Thanks given by: