Repost
I...just...I don't...even......
[Image: 611.jpg]
Thanks given by:
What were the USA doing before 1607? Still a young country with a lot to learn.
Thanks given by:
Worldwide Conformism still exists?
Thanks given by:
(28 Mar 15, 06:52PM)Nightmare Wrote: Worldwide Conformism still exists?

The lack of 'conformism' led to one of the worst space shuttles accidents of all times, actually.
Thanks given by:
(28 Mar 15, 06:54PM)Andrez Wrote:

The lack of 'conformism' led to one of the worst space shuttles accidents of all times, actually.

I hope you like speaking Mandarin & becoming a Christian. :)
Thanks given by:
(28 Mar 15, 07:02PM)Nightmare Wrote:
(28 Mar 15, 06:54PM)Andrez Wrote:
I hope you like speaking Mandarin & becoming a Christian. :)
Languages and religions do not follow a logic, and most of all, most of the times at least, don't lead to shuttles accidents because of misunderstanding in measurements, that based on maths rules, should be the first and most logical thing in the world. 
Refusing such a logical system like metric, based on 0 - 100 - 1000... values is such a non-sense. You have your point of view because you're American, but please, find some reason to adopt that retarded system with those twisted values instead of the old, logical and reliable 'base it on 10' thing.
Thanks given by:
Just different cultures doing things different ways.

Luigi Marionelli's brain passively knows even measurements, leading to him creating the pizza.

Tommy's brain is stimulated by the fact that 36 inches is 3 feet, focusing the brain and waking it up to solve the next problem, leading to the invention of nuclear bombs, hot dogs, hamburgers, invisible super soldiers, and rockets that actually reach the moon.

See, no difference. Just two guys using two different systems, both giving to the world.
Thanks given by:
ill do what i do best and play devils advocate

but the us is firmly rooted in their tradition as american; theyve always kept to what theyve always done. thats why conservative ideas are so popular in comparison to the countries you are probably thinking of

plus changing the system costs $; all the signs, labels, textbooks, documentation and other costs must be updated; you may not understand why they havent changed and wonder why cant they put money towards that- there is no need to. is it more efficient to change everything? as well, its not illegal to use metric; plenty of people know about it in the states and can do the math

as well your argument loses further clout when you try and deride them with a more personal and emotional emphasis. if you are aiming to weed out your true allies then by all means go ahead. but if you are genuinely trying to start discussion or argue- dont use slurs and shit yo; you look just as stupid as all the other over generalizing stereotypes you made/imply
regardless of what your opinion is of obama, a large factor in his wins are the fact that his opponents made a fool of themselves more often than he did.

"for eaxplme mnay poplee culod aemtptt to uenrsdtnad tihs, but i can write normally and stop being edgy"

one system is clearly better but my point gets across regardless. now if i wrote an entire novel like that and you would have to translate it in its entirety, would it really be worth it?

edit2: actually im going to continue this; why cant i choose a different number? why cant i choose 20? i have 20 digits on my hands and feet, or why not base 60 to logically represent the important fractions of a half, third, fourth, fifth and sixth? or why not a base of pi to make circles easier?

your argument also is just cherrypicking shit; you are only going for the weak points. but i can just as easily argue. whats wrong with brine and my body temperature- they both make sense as limits that many people can relate to. why is water chosen as the substance? oxygen is the more important part of water, so people should switch to that as logically you need oxygen more than water. also, why is the base unit of mass a kilogram? why not just shift it over 3 orders?

and to adress the arbitrary roller coaster; a massive amount of the worlds population will have 0 clue what "100dam" means or what a hectopascal is
Thanks given by: Orynge
...still doesn't explain why making your lives so much complicated rather than thinking straightforwardly 0 - 100. But whatever. I support different cultures and things, but maths should make things easier, not retarded.
Thanks given by:
As an American, here is the complete and honest reason I use the Imperial system of measurement:

I don't know, it's what I was taught and it's what people around me are using. I didn't ask to be taught it and I didn't ask others to use it. I know it's not convenient, and I know it's not logical but I can't do anything about it. Yeah yeah we're all stupid and arrogant. Whatever. Leave me alone.
Thanks given by:
As an American i completely agree. we are stupid, it happens. But if I started telling people directions in meters it would be anarchy.
Thanks given by:
Trollbait ftw.
Thanks given by:
(28 Mar 15, 11:07PM)Andrez Wrote: ...still doesn't explain why making your lives so much complicated rather than thinking straightforwardly 0 - 100. But whatever. I support different cultures and things, but maths should make things easier, not retarded.

dw lol im canadian i live in base10
Thanks given by: Orynge
I don't think day-month-year makes any sense. Even though I grew up in the states, I tend to write my dates YYYYY-MM-DD. Why? That's how numbers work. 321 is three hundreds, 2 tens, and 1 one. The biggest thing goes to the left.

I have no argument for the stupid measuring system we use here.
Thanks given by:
Its our own encrypted language. :P
Thanks given by:
I will define only the Fahrenheit scale at this point. The Fahrenheit scale was made by a German physicist in 1724. The Celsius scale was not made until later, 1742 to be exact, by a Swedish astronomer. So in all reality "Fahrenheit" isn't really American as it was made in a completely different, unrelated part of the world, and it is an older means of temperature measurement as well. While we are one of the last ones to use such now, at one point in time, it was the only one to use. So what you will, its more "traditional".
Thanks given by:
(28 Mar 15, 11:45PM)InitialSAW Wrote: As an American, here is the complete and honest reason I use the Imperial system of measurement:

I don't know, it's what I was taught and it's what people around me are using. I didn't ask to be taught it and I didn't ask others to use it. I know it's not convenient, and I know it's not logical but I can't do anything about it. Yeah yeah we're all stupid and arrogant. Whatever. Leave me alone.
This is the best answer I saw, actually, or at least, that I InitialSAW so far (muahuahuah, stupid pun time)

(29 Mar 15, 01:15AM)Mousikos Wrote: I don't think day-month-year makes any sense. Even though I grew up in the states, I tend to write my dates YYYYY-MM-DD. Why? That's how numbers work. 321 is three hundreds, 2 tens, and 1 one. The biggest thing goes to the left.

Your point doesn't make sense as well. I think the most valuable information in a date is the day, because it actually changes, well...everyday? And thus should be given first. At least that is my opinion, but yet, still a better way rather than MM - DD - YYYY.
Thanks given by:
(29 Mar 15, 03:26PM)Andrez Wrote:
(28 Mar 15, 11:45PM)InitialSAW Wrote: As an American, here is the complete and honest reason I use the Imperial system of measurement:

This is the best answer I saw, actually, or at least, that I InitialSAW so far (muahuahuah, stupid pun time)

(29 Mar 15, 01:15AM)Mousikos Wrote: I don't think day-month-year makes any sense. Even though I grew up in the states, I tend to write my dates YYYYY-MM-DD. Why? That's how numbers work. 321 is three hundreds, 2 tens, and 1 one. The biggest thing goes to the left.

Your point doesn't make sense as well. I think the most valuable information in a date is the day, because it actually changes, well...everyday? And thus should be given first. At least that is my opinion, but yet, still a better way rather than MM - DD - YYYY.

Most numbering conventions are MSB to LSB. By your logic, you want to tell time as SS:MM:HH because seconds changes more frequency. If I write something, I want it to follow that convention as well. Also: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ISO_8601

Not that I care about ISO though because

[url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taiwan][/url]
[url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taiwan]Taiwan, Province of China[/url]

[url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ISO_3166-1_alpha-2#TW][font=monospace,monospace]TW[/font][/url]
[font=monospace,monospace]TWN[/font]
[font=monospace,monospace]158[/font]
[url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ISO_3166-2:TW]ISO 3166-2:TW[/url]
Thanks given by:
I may have explained myself badly. In dates the first thing you want to know is the day, not the month or the year. I guess time is deployed in that way because the most sensible information to us is not certainly the second, nor the minute, but the hour itself.

I'm surprised though that 'muricans don't use MM:HH:SS time format. I really expected that.
Thanks given by:
The first thing you want to know is the day? Then look at the end because it's the smallest thing. I would assume anyone possessing any sort of intellect would choose a format consistent with other modern numbering systems. That being said, 0 as freezing and 100 as boiling does not make sense. The logical scale based at 0 is the Kelvin scale because temperature is vibrating molecules and it makes sense that 0 is where the scale stops aka when molecules stop moving. It doesn't make sense that Celcius stops at -273 degC.
Thanks given by:
(29 Mar 15, 10:39PM)Mousikos Wrote: That being said, 0 as freezing and 100 as boiling does not make sense. The logical scale based at 0 is the Kelvin scale because temperature is vibrating molecules and it makes sense that 0 is where the scale stops aka when molecules stop moving. It doesn't make sense that Celcius stops at -273 degC.
Maybe it does not make sence in science, but in everyday's life, you can be sure the celcius scale is just better, when you boil water for cooking, it's 100 degrees (may change with pressure), when you want to freeze water, it's 0 instead of 212 and 32 degrees Fahrenheit, also, you should just check on what the american system is based, it's fucked up from the start whereas the Celcius system is based in something more consistant.
Thanks given by:
Who ever converts things from wakagrams to wakawakagrams? Never. Things are simply one or the other. Hence it's pointless to be equal 10 100 1000.
Thanks given by:
(30 Mar 15, 12:15AM)ExodusS Wrote: Maybe it does not make sence in science, but in everyday's life, you can be sure the celcius scale is just better, when you boil water for cooking, it's 100 degrees (may change with pressure), when you want to freeze water, it's 0 instead of 212 and 32 degrees Fahrenheit, also, you should just check on what the american system is based, it's fucked up from the start whereas the Celcius system is based in something more consistant.
Meh. I personally use Celcius over Fahrenheit anyway.... When I was in Asia for a year, I switched to Celcius and it's really, really hard to switch back.

Dunno man. I think it's easier to eyeball distances. Okay so I know about how big an inch is. Now I have to imagine 12 of them. Now three of those things. Now 1760 of THOSE things.

In writing this, I had to look up how many yards in a mile. I didn't even grow up outside the US, but I can sure as hell tell you how many um in a mm, mm in a m, m in a km..... #engineering
Thanks given by:
Quote:but I can sure as hell tell you how many um in a mm, mm in a m, m in a km..... #engineering

#primaryschoolmaths
Thanks given by:
(29 Mar 15, 10:39PM)Mousikos Wrote: The first thing you want to know is the day? Then look at the end because it's the smallest thing.
This doesn't make sense anyway. Unless you are from Eastern world, here, in Western side, we read from left to right.
(30 Mar 15, 12:29AM)Nightmare Wrote: Who ever converts things from wakagrams to wakawakagrams? Never. Things are simply one or the other. Hence it's pointless to be equal 10 100 1000.
You need help mate
Thanks given by:
(30 Mar 15, 11:45AM)Andrez Wrote:
(29 Mar 15, 10:39PM)Mousikos Wrote: The first thing you want to know is the day? Then look at the end because it's the smallest thing.
This doesn't make sense anyway. Unless you are from Eastern world, here, in Western side, we read from left to right.

No, my suggestion is consistent with numbering everywhere. You rank things my what YOU want to know. Mine is consistent with EVERY SINGLE OTHER NUMBER THING WE DO. If you want smallest, you look at the LSB. That's how we number in the WESTERN WORLD too.

10002. Tell me the 2, representing 2, is larger than the 1, representing 10000. 23:22:11. Tell me the 11, representing 11 seconds, is larger than the 23, representing hours. The small stuff /always/ goes on the left. It's how numbers frigging work. The most significant thing in dates (most significant meaning BIGGEST like everything else we use) goes on the left. Because that's how numbers work. It doesn't make sense to look at the end for the smallest thing? Then, you, good sir, probably need to go back to primary school and relearn reading numbers.
Thanks given by:
"Most significant" in practical, every day life means just "what I need to know more". I have never heard anyone saying "let's meet at 30 seconds, 12 minutes, and 15 hours", or just "at 12 minutes and 2 hours". Please, everyone understood you are attending engineering, but don't make yourself look dumb like this, because one thing is how maths works, and another thing is the way you need to read numbers for your everyday life purposes.
Thanks given by:
Get'em, Moose!
Thanks given by:
Dunno if anyone pointed it out yet, but pretty sure that shuttle accident was caused by human error, and attributing it to a measurement system is belittling that fact.
Thanks given by:
I'm sorry you lack the brain capacity to use a system that makes sense. The same reason you're arguing for DD-MM-YYYY is the same reason Americans don't want to move away from the Imperial system -- idiocy.

Why is the day the most significant? Because it's what YOU want to know first. That's arbitrary. What if someone else wnats to know the day of the week first? Then shouldn't we add THAT to the date system? Instead of fighting over what is most significant to who, we should defer to a system that already works and is consistent.

Instead of trying to toot your "omg europe is superior!!!!111one!11" horn, why don't you think outside of your system like you're asking us Americans to?

Hell, you even mentioned the Eastern side of the world. Please don't talk about stuff you don't know.

1) The PRC reads top to bottom, left to right.
2) The HKSAR and ROC read right to left, top to bottom.

So how do they represent numbers?

民國40年7月4日. Or, if you want to be technical....

民國XX年 means XX years since the foundation of our country. Even so, it's actually written YYMMDD. But they actually read numbers the exact same way. Go figure.

Please try to educate yourself on how people actually read in Asia before trying to argue a point that makes you sound like a bigot and a racist.

Your argument is "please you look dumb. this isn't how i use it", essentially. If you want to talk shit about Americans, there's plenty of stuff to talk about. But please, I beg of you, do some research and actually prepare a solid argument before opening your mouth.
Thanks given by: