ac_metl3 revision
I never played the original cube nor the original metl3. Halo got permission to port the map into AC. One day I decided to try my sf texture pack on it just to see how it looks. Halo liked it so we decided to coop to finish it up. As far as gameplay is concerned, "some of us" (which would be me in this case) never played the original metl3, so I have no basis for comparison. From what I played it, it's okay for OSOK at least.As far as the lack of teleports go, it sure isn't the original map, but it still works in OSOK and I'm sure it could work as DM too, if the number of players isn't too large.

I'm sorry, but this map was a showcase for the sf texture pack that was long overdue, and seeing the positive feedback on the texture pack, I think the map achieves what it was set out to do. If you don't like the gameplay, you don't have to play it. If you lack the teleports, you can always code them in if you wish to do so. I dislike your attitude, but you have a right to express your opinion on it, even if it is just bashing someone elses hard work. I'm not saying you're wrong, I'm just saying you haven't offered anything constructive as far as criticism goes, most of your post is "don't", "doesn't", "can't", "never" and the like.
Thanks given by:
It's nice, how you try to make it my fault, how /you/ failed to check, if it's at all possible to properly port the map /before/ you spent hours on the textures. It's not really a secret, that the "realistic setting" of AC doesn't allow teleports.

The reason for douze being official is easy: makke.
Thanks given by:
Like I told you before, I didn't make the map, the geometry was already there when I got it, and seeing how I never played the original, I had no bias, it was all new to me, so I approached it as map made in AC for AC.

You imply that I didn't properly port the map, yet fail to see that what you consider proper is just your own opinion on the matter. You have a right to it, the same as I have the right to my opinion that it works good without teleports.

I'm not making the map conversion your fault as you say, I just told you that your post is all negative and not constructive. I have no quarrel with you, like I said, if you don't like it for whatever reason, no one is forcing you to play it.

As for douze, I didn't make it, I didn't make it official, nor did I convert it. If you have problems with douze, talk to makke, not me.
Thanks given by:
The line about douze was obviously for Marti. Why would you assume, I was talking to you?

I you didn't care about the layout (and gameplay) in the first place - why did you even bother to response to my first message? If you don't care and Halo picked the map to work on - what was the point of your response?

How am I supposed to tell you in a "positive" or "contructive" way that your map port was doomed from the beginning? Do I really have to put a few daisies on a fail, so I don't hurt your feelings?

btw - I only downloaded the map, not additional media :)
Thanks given by:
I assumed you were talking to me, because you were talking to me in the sentence before it. If you don't want this kind of confusion it is custom to type "@Marti" for example, if you want to address him. Or maybe just quote the relevant thing you are referencing.

Like I told you before, what you think is a "proper conversion" is just your own opinion on how it's supposed to be done. The thing you're obviously missing here is that even knowing that AC doesn't have teleports, and that this map featured some in the original, I went ahead and released it anyway, because I still think it's good enough to be played and that it is a good showcase for the texture pack.

What you call "doomed from the beginning" is just the reflection of your own opinion on what is right and what is wrong, and how this map should be played. No one is tellling you you're wrong, I just told you that your approach was to come here and post a post that is 100% without constructive criticsm.

If you don't want to downlaod the textures, that's your choice. The map is a showcase for the textures in a way, so you're missing on quite a bit of it.
Thanks given by:
Mate, I played the original version of this map several times. Surely the gameplay is very different. 
However I played  your current version in DM and Osok modes and enjoyed myself. Its fun.
But is not the point, is it? The textures are wonderful! It really was given a "shine" on the map.
I believe you have found the right way to give support to the game (improving) without changing it radically. New and beautiful textures. Perhaps improves HUD also... 
Just see your new map - SPIN _ , its amazing. This is the way. Coming from a player. Surely it would be that way.
Thanks given by:
(12 Jan 15, 05:25PM)stef Wrote: Just look, how crippled gameplay on douze is, without the jumppads and the teleports... it just doesn't work.

works in survivour.

(12 Jan 15, 06:47PM)stef Wrote: How am I supposed to tell you in a "positive" or "contructive" way that your map port was doomed from the beginning?

you can't, because to say it was doomed from the start is complete bullshit. i don't think you understand how map design works. the map can still work without teleports, albeit not perfectly.

then again, there is scarcely a 1vs1 map in AC that doesn't have terrible gameplay.
Thanks given by:
The boundaries of default package define identity of this game. Custom servers can handle such maps and offer that required freedom in styles. And flame under you map i consider as good feedback to you, the worst what can happen you is "nice map", i personally hate it. About the feeling of the map, it is subjective and it depends if you know the map or not. It is not about mapping design skills. And it is sad if we have so many mappers and maps and we need some maps from another games ?
Thanks given by:
Low aimers hate douze. Obviously a great osok dm and surv map. Leave the teleporting joke alone. Too bad you missed the 1.1 version bro, the map was overplayed. I guess you can hate it alone with the few forum heroes you are representing here.
Thanks given by:
douze is an excellent map for CTF no matter what anyone says. It doesn't have the strategic flair of a depot, mines, or shine, but it more than makes up for it with extraordinary tactical possibilities. It is the wicked pleasure of the nubs. These same nubs eventually grow to love the game that spawned it. It may be a map from elsewhere but once it hits our servers and sticks it becomes one of our own. These nubs then grow into the veterans you see today. Warriors built on the sillier and more ridiculous moments of our history who have a yearning to take the game further and explore the depths of AC that they have never seen before. If you want to truly build a game into a lasting experience you must, absolutely MUST, take chances. You must fight against all sense of propriety and listen to the kids who fell in love with the game the second they saw it. You want a legitimate community with new forum posts at least once a day? You want a feeling of growth, a sense of rebirth? One must build for the players out there. Not the ones in here. We've been satisfied. Let's please take another look at our past, pick out what did extremely well, and give our game a rebirth. Awaken please to the reality that breathes within AC's code.

Ok let's break it down to size. CTF Douze a legit mode? Meeeeeh. When played on thirty different servers and voted constantly? Nah. Desert3? Good map, despite the RED bias. Starting to irritate? Yeah. The difference is a Douze CTF attracted players like crazy because of the quick scoring and hardcore in your face action of fighting for a flag right from the start. There is a strong tendency these days to reject anything that is new in favor of the "quality" we have supposedly obtained. But what quality is that? A select group of players who battle each constantly while the rest of the game slowly drifts into the past? A great selection of maps that is rarely played not because there is anything wrong with them but because there simply aren't enough players who actually care?! You've proven AC can be a competitive game. This is something we will never lose. But if you want it to be more than this please,

Please... Open your minds and offer the stuff we've offered before. Every game is built on nubs. AC thrives on it's ability to draw the new and unitiated to it's vast complexities and blast them into submission. This is ASSAULTCUBE!! We don't die. We never will. but we can suffocate, we will asphixiate if we continue on a path of stringent rigidity.

Don't even get me started on the player limits for servers... The concept? Good. The execution? Needs tweaking.
Thanks given by:
Please stay on topic.
Thanks given by:
I was born on topic. You stay on topic. I simply travel the roads of thought that go from one post to another.
Thanks given by: