The unwritten rules of the game: some questions
Recently I had in game (and on IRC) a *funny* conversation with some well known members of respected clans about the rules of the game. I'd like to have some opinions since there are things that seem obvious to me and that are seen by some players in a totally different way.

It happened on CTF on a pub (referring to Hi Skill ladder). A player of my team (that later would revealed to be a known player in disguise) had the flag and our flag was in the hands of the other team. Our team was struggling to recover it and when we finally succeeded, our teammate kept on running around with the flag, refusing to score even if in chat we invited him doin' it.

After a while and some efforts made to convince him to score (he was pretty good defending himself, so the thing was lastin too much) I was quite pissed of and I teamkilled him so the game could start again properly. There was a quarrel and some voting: he wanted to kick me for teamkilling, but at the end he was kicked by the majority for his behaviour. He came in again, he revealed himself, he was banned. He went on IRC, called a friend of him with the admin status on that server that came in and unbanned him without waiting for any explanations from the players who voted the (temporary) ban.

In search for an explanation I went on IRC. My point of view is that keeping the flag in CTF without scoring means altering the game and playing "against" your team, given that the purpose of the game is, clearly, scoring. I asked then for an answer to this.
The answer I got was that there are no "written rules" about that and so that one can do whatever he wants. Moreover, I have been told that in pubs there are only *noobs and idiots*, so their vote doesn't mean nothing.
I've been suggested to "have a life".

A few things here:

- don't you think that behaviours directed to alter the purpose of the game are, at the end, punishable, even if some rules are not written (cause they are obvious, imo)?

- If the majority of people vote a decision to protect their playing and the sportmanship of the game, isn't an abuse of power if the admin arbitrarily simply cancel that decision?

- aren't players in pubs worthy of respect?

- what you clan leaders would think of a member of your clan acting this way?[/i]

Clearing up these points would be very appreciated.
This post hasn't a polemic intent (no names). The purpose is merely find a definitive solution for something that seems irrational (and quite unrespectful) to me.
Thanks given by:
This is killing the game on purpose.
Just kick players doing that. Then ban if they don't stop.
Thanks given by:
This is the whole point of the voting system. If the majority of the players in the game think what he did was wrong, and vote to ban him, it must have been the right thing to do at the time.
There's no point in arguing against this type of behaviour. Someone this selfish and conceited is not going to listen to anything you have to say. There are a few clan players who have no respect at all for public games, and will quite happily ruin one or two with this sort of behaviour, or by using the server as a chat room, while they look for another match.
As Luc@s says, all you can do is call the vote and see what the other players want to do.
Thanks given by:
I call that flag bullying, because he's not letting anyone else score. People should play fair in the pubs because some people just don't want bull matches and pissing contests.
Thanks given by:
It shouldn't be allowed, but there is not much you can do (except for teamkilling).

You could vote to kick, or if you're a server owner, ban them.

Please let me know if anyone with {CE} tags is abusing this.
Thanks given by:
Undead and Acropolip?
Thanks given by:
(02 Sep 10, 01:58PM)DrauL Wrote: Undead and Acropolip?

DrauL I said no names. Maybe the ones interested can recognize themselves and think if they acted right.
Thanks given by:
Lawl. Fair 'nough.
Thanks given by:
Srsly...
Of course you were right. Admin abuse. And those "respected" clan players who think pubs are only for them to misbehave and only annoy the "noobs and idiots" there should be banned.
And the excuse is just ridiculous. "It's not written anywhere"... well, I'm not even sure if it's written anywhere that you should shoot your enemies.
Thanks given by:
welcom in AC my friend ketar ;)
Thanks given by:
We should write a rule against ppl being a pathetic moron and asshole, right away!

Unfortunately, ketar my man, this will still happen, caus we are dealing with a bunch of idiotic, attention craving kids in this game... Maybe revoking password privileges form douche bags would be a good idea!
Thanks given by:
I know mentioning names will just start a flamewar or a bad arguement, but sometimes it's just necessary..
Thanks given by:
Yes, Ketar is reffering to me and Undead, with Undead being the abusive player and me being the abusive admin in his story.

Let me get this straight, many people come to me daily in irc, asking me to unban them from any Hi-Skill, BC or other server where I have admin in because they tell me some random person called a ban vote on them for fun and it passed. Undead was one of them which when he told me that some random person voted to ban him and it passed, i went to unban him. I did not know what happened before or after, but generally as a rule, well known players do not behave badly in ladder servers because it would show on their ladder record anyway, so I go on and listen to them. Its not like im using my admin to friggen go onto random servers and start vote banning people or team fixing.

Now Ketar, Id appreciate it that you wouldnt try to take my reputation down as many others have been trying recently just for trying to help someone out. You attacked me in public servers which I put up with, but now your trying (indirectly until someone points out that it was me as the admin thanx yours truely DrauL) here. Please, JUST LEAVE ME OUT OF THIS.
Thanks given by:
I'm a noob and idiot?
Thanks given by:
He said 'no names'. Then someone though he had to show his smartness. Bad luck, eh?
Next time Undead asks you for something, think again. We all know him, right?
Thanks given by:
(02 Sep 10, 11:22PM)tempest Wrote: We all know him, right?

WTF is an "Undead"?!?!?
Thanks given by:
Holding the flag for more than 30 seconds purposely while the flag is open to score is not allowed because it doesn't allow anyone else on your team to score.
Thanks given by:
(02 Sep 10, 11:18PM)Acropolips Wrote: (indirectly until someone points out that it was me as the admin thanx yours truely DrauL)

(02 Sep 10, 11:22PM)tempest Wrote: He said 'no names'. Then someone though he had to show his smartness. Bad luck, eh?

Yeesh. Calm down. :/
Thanks given by:
This type of flag bullying just hampers the point of the game.
Though if I remember correctly, sometimes I get lost in map and then return to the enemy base while trying to search for my base. >.>
(Yeah yeah.... press Alt to view map)

But I am sure this is not the case with this "unnamed" player.

His behavior was pretty intentional, and unlike me, he is skilled as the description suggests.

We should remember that AC is a team game, not an individual one.

Anyway, no one was going to blame you Acropolips, but erm.... well.... bad luck, eh?
happens :|

how about we keep history of say.. 15 lines of chat logs before each ban? :|

Though it might be a lil' bit time consuming for admins to check things :|
Thanks given by:
Yeah, I would have done the same thing as in the OP. Idiot's keeping the flag and not scoring, blocking my way on purpose, etc., I'll get him out of the way. It's not TOSOK, bit of teamkilling isn't going to turn the game.
Thanks given by:
On this same note, when I'm playing tosok on ac_desert, I tend to start to t-bag in front of team campers. Is this frowned upon?
If it is, is it frowned upon when they TK you?
If it is, is it frowned upon when you try to kick them (I always tell the crowd to f2, in fact, I think I've only done this once, with someone I knew :P )
Thanks given by:
Quote:He came in again, he revealed himself, he was banned.
That's my favorite part. As if revealing his name is going to cause him to win the argument. "Oh! It's you! Well, in that case, I'm going to treat you differently. Associating your name with a status in the AC community has convinced me that I should not ban you after all."

And yeah, flag-bullying is just as bad as team-killing (though rare enough that I've never seen an instance of this myself).

Many servers have rules posted in their MOTD lines (the text that comes up when you join the server). It helps for server owners to specifically post what they expect in player behavior, e.g., "no cheating, no team-killing, no disrupting the game by keeping CTF flags." It especially helps when similar rules are visible from server to server, allowing for a sense of a common standard.

Standards with no common ground (i.e., you may get kicked for violating one of these on one server, while [most] other servers don't care about these) include camping, nade-spamming, gemas, knife-only, asking a teammate to drop the flag for you, one mode/map 24/7, accusing others of cheating, etc.
Thanks given by:
what is t-bag :|
Thanks given by:
It is when someone crouches over you after fragging you. It is a way of saying "OH I FRAGGED YOU WHUT UP OHHHHHHH YEAHHH"
Thanks given by:
get a life, and play the game however the hell you want to. pubs arn't serious matches, and you were raging just because i decided to get the flag and do what i want with it. in fact i was just stealing a xW guy who was nade spamming's nades just to piss him off.

in short; you mad bro.
Thanks given by:
Oh, no rage at all.

I think everybody has an idea now. I am sorry that names came out: it wasn't my intention. I suggest that you, Undead, and your bosom buddies read what others said here.

At least now we have something "written", so next time one can use it as reference.
I propose the admin to close this thread.
Thanks given by:
hear hear..
the unnamed player is trying to tell that half the players in that specific match are dead zombies.
Get it? dead zombies?
oh well.

Ah.. and mad dead zombies, you know.
Ketar, I like your style dude.
0^_^o
Thanks given by:
(03 Sep 10, 01:17PM)Undead Wrote: get a life, and play the game however the hell you want to. pubs arn't serious matches, and you were raging just because i decided to get the flag and do what i want with it. in fact i was just stealing a xW guy who was nade spamming's nades just to piss him off.

in short; you mad bro.
u mad
Thanks given by:
(03 Sep 10, 01:52PM)lordamit Wrote: hear hear..
the unnamed player is trying to tell that half the players in that specific match are dead zombies.
Get it? dead zombies?
oh well.

Ah.. and mad dead zombies, you know.
Ketar, I like your style dude.
0^_^o

and who are you again.
continue with the shotgun slagging
Thanks given by:
oh, just a mere observer walking by a random thread by chance who happened to see some oversmart random person's noobish obnoxious activity and as a result, getting criticized by almost everyone. ^_^
Thanks given by: