Why do I care about DPI?
So I have this mouse: http://gaming.logitech.com/en-us/product...ming-mouse

There's a button on my mouse that allows me to switch between three DPIs. I'm guessing the lowest setting is 250 dpi and the highest is 2500 dpi.

One of those makes my mouse really slippery, the other makes me hardly able to move. Which one is which and why do I care?
Thanks given by:
Cue Vanquish.

My mouse has one of these too...
Thanks given by:
YES I HAVE THE SAME MOUSE
#LOGITECHMASTERRACE

Lowest by default is 1000dpi afaik, then theres 2000 and 2500 (not on pc so cant check)

All other technical stuff i will leave for vanquish
Thanks given by:
(15 Dec 14, 11:21PM)PhaNtom Wrote: Cue Vanquish.
(15 Dec 14, 11:30PM)Marti Wrote: All other technical stuff i will leave for vanquish

<3

Okay, so here goes. First off, congratulations on purchasing a G100s, without a doubt the best mouse on the market for price/performance ratio today (unless you're gonna get one of takasta's steelseries/wmo mods or steal one).
I could blag on for ages about the specs of this mouse and why they're important to you, but I'll just start off with what could be the simplest answer to all your questions:

Low DPI = Lower sensitivity
High DPI = Higher sensitivity

The Logitech G100s features the Avago AM010-N1301T sensor, which runs from 250 to 2500 dpi. I don't know what the dpi change button on the G100s does because I kept hitting it by accident so I've disabled it, but I guess it's safe to assume that the dpi intervals are something like 250, 1250, 2500. The one real flaw on the G100s is that the sensor is known to have a pretty high level of jitter (perhaps what you mean by the mouse feeling slippery?) when you run it at over 1000 dpi.
There's probably gonna be some kind of firmware update that fixes this in the future, but for now we won't know.

Typically for FPS games, you don't want excessively high DPI values (I remember I thought having 11400 on my steelseries sensei was a good idea, lol) or excessively low DPI values (probably around 400 as a minimum). The highest I've ever used was 2300, on my Zowie EC1 (awful mouse btw), and I even felt like the EC1 ran better on the lower dpi step of 1150. I'm currently using 800 dpi with my G400s and it feels absolutely perfect. Which dpi you should use depends mostly on the sensor that's present on the mouse you're using, and you can just change your sensitivity ingame accordingly to get the same feeling (formula is: old dpi * old sens / new dpi). In the case of your sensor, I'd recommend (a lot of professional quake live + CSGO players do the same btw) running it on exactly 1000 dpi.

That aside, your mouse has no inbuilt prediction or acceleration, the polling rate is stable at 1000hz and the button response time (click latency) is about 0.2ms, so don't let the jitter thing put you off. I've tried over 30 mice and I own about 12, and the G100s is the third best I've tried out of all of them (only thing that put me off was the fact that it's kinda small for my hands).

Best of luck with it!
Thanks given by:
Sorry, I am absolutely worthless when it comes to this. So your recommendation is to have it on the middle setting?

Also the 400s. I"m regretting not getting the 400s because I would really, really love the extra mouse buttons for knife and nade. But I run linux so I wasn't sure if it'd be supported.

When I said slippery I mean it is way over sensitivea and useless. If I could have it toggle between the first two sensitivities I can see it being useful, but the third option just isn't useful.
Thanks given by:
No idea what the middle setting is (I believe you set this via the driver), I'd just recommend using it at a value of around 800-1000 dpi, since lower values can cause anomalies with negative acceleration and higher values cause the mouse to jitter.

I have no idea if the G400s is compatible with Linux btw, however I've used the same driver on Windows for my G1, G100s, G400, G400s and G402 without any problems. But it's a pretty fantastic mouse.
Thanks given by:
^bah, how often do you change your mouse?
Thanks given by:
(16 Dec 14, 01:32PM)Flames Wrote: ^bah, how often do you change your mouse?

Very often
Thanks given by:
If anyone is interested in learning more about this subject, I suggest that they go and take a look at ESReality. It's a huge junkyard with a massive amount of trolls and returds but you see intelligent discussions every now and then, and it can range from mathematics to the specifics of a certain mouse. It'd be easier to just take a look into competitive games with actual communities (Quake Live), but this site is too good to discount. i learned how to troll there
Thanks given by:
(16 Dec 14, 03:37PM)G1gantuan Wrote: i learned how to troll there

They must suck at trolling then.
Thanks given by:
(16 Dec 14, 12:50AM)Vanquish Wrote: lower values can cause anomalies with negative acceleration and higher values cause the mouse to jitter.

^The most important information is here, lower values may not find enough points on the ground* to it may not move when it should, and higher values may find informations on the ground* that aren't supposed to be informations (ex: deformations, dust ...).

ground: mousepad or everything your mouse is on.
Thanks given by:
(16 Dec 14, 01:32PM)Flames Wrote: ^bah, how often do you change your mouse?

Only when I feel the need to. I'll sometimes buy new mice to try while I'm currently using one, and then if I like it enough I'll switch. I'd still be using my original rev1 G400 (the one modified with the Avago ADNS-3080E sensor) if the cable didn't die on me (on the day of the 2014 ACWC too, so I had to play with my trash deathadder). :>

(16 Dec 14, 04:50PM)ExodusS Wrote: ^The most important information is here, lower values may not find enough points on the ground* to it may not move when it should, and higher values may find informations on the ground* that aren't supposed to be informations (ex: deformations, dust ...).

Didn't see this post in time, pretty much correct but just wanted to elaborate. Higher than 1000 dpi being bad isn't an absolute rule for all mice, for instance the Avago ADNS-S3688/8888/9888 (used on all deathadders + original abyssus) run better at 1800 dpi, for instance. But generally I think you won't need anything higher than 1800 or 2000, and it's important to research the sensor specifications on the mouse you have to make sure the settings you have are optimal.
About finding information on the mouse surface, optical sensors generally aren't as bad as laser sensors. Lasers are generally so powerful that they can even read the fibers in cloth mousepads and it can cause some problems with jitter and stutter and stuff, especially if your mousepad is multicoloured (G500 was awful on my QcK+ Fnatic). The only real advantage of laser sensors is that they offer high DPI values, which as stated previously are useless.

Optical all the way <3
Thanks given by:
Buy some wireless cheap mouse and itll be enough
Thanks given by:
(16 Dec 14, 11:02PM)al3rt Wrote: Buy some wireless cheap mouse and itll be enough

* Vanquish just had a seizure
Thanks given by:
I think wireless in gaming is useless and annoying, you always have to deal with the batteries and there is no real advantage.
Thanks given by:
I dunno, cables annoy the shit out of me. It feels like they guide the mouse in a certain direction and make it difficult to aim -- not that I aim well anyway. Not an issue as long as you don't forget to charge it (and if you do tend to forget, just get one that lets you use while charging; i.e., Logitech G700s, not Logitech MX Revolution, etc.)
Thanks given by:
(17 Dec 14, 02:01AM)vonunov Wrote: I dunno, cables annoy the shit out of me. It feels like they guide the mouse in a certain direction and make it difficult to aim

Yes, this can be an issue for a basic mouse, but I can tell you a gamer mouse will not have this "resistant" cable, at least I have the Razer Imperator with a cable, and it's just perfect. I had some bad experiencies with batteries mouses (and when I said battery, i wanted to say the things you can not charge, and you must change each ~weeks) but anyway, chargers would annoy me as well.
Thanks given by:
You could use a mouse bungee like the Zowie Camade or something, maybe?
What exoduss said is correct though, most modern mice have pretty decent cables. Aside from the Steelseries Sensei and Logitech G400 (both cables fucked up and broke for me), the only cable I've ever had that was complete crap was on the Microsoft wmo 1.1a. I've heard some people modified their wmo's to have the cable of a steelseries kinzu, however I'm not really experienced enough in modifying mice to recommend this as a viable course of action. I feel like having a heavier mouse helps to counterbalance a mouse cable that seems to move all the time, but if it's too heavy then moving your mouse becomes a chore. I'd say anywhere from about 90-110g is perfect, although a lot of professional gamers won't use anything heavier than 80g. Although tbh I feel like weight is less of a compromise than shape, buy something that fits your hand and style of grip, and you'll learn to adapt to whatever idiosyncracies the sensor/etc possesses.
Thanks given by:
(16 Dec 14, 04:41PM)PhaNtom Wrote:
(16 Dec 14, 03:37PM)G1gantuan Wrote: i learned how to troll there

They must suck at trolling then.

i haven't trolled at all for weekz. and no trolling is not my profession

also i just wanted to say that teh Deathadder is the bests
Thanks given by:
buyers...
Thanks given by:
Consumerism
Thanks given by:
(15 Dec 14, 11:30PM)Marti Wrote: YES I HAVE THE SAME MOUSE
#LOGITECHMASTERRACE

Lowest by default is 1000dpi afaik, then theres 2000 and 2500 (not on pc so cant check)

All other technical stuff i will leave for vanquish

1000, 1750, 2500. o_O Just found out today.
Thanks given by:
I have also tried a lot of mice. I agree with Vanquish on nearly everything he said.
But I've had 3 g9x's. I use them only on the max 5700 DPI.
But also like Vanquish mentioned, the laser quality itself makes a huge difference.
The g9x is the perfect mouse (for me).
I have actually had a g100s. It was a (good) mouse. But even for my little woman hands it was too small. So I gave it to my ex-wife. HAHAHA! She used it for Sims and Urban Terror.
I have no idea why Razer is so popular. I had a Deathadder and a Taipan, and they were just.. decent. The Taipan I gave away, but the Deathadder crapped out one me.
My other favorites are more in the same price range as the g100s. The Flexbrains FBWMBLK01, the Anker AK-98AN2000 and the Red Dragon Mammoth (16,400 DPI). The Red Dragon was actually pretty awesome, but I've only used it a few times (got it as backup) and put it back in the box and in my closet.
To anyone wanting a great mouse for under $30 I suggest the Flexbrains. Ugly as sin to me, but an awesome mouse.
The mouse you have is great. The sensitivity does't really matter for most players TBH. It's what you become most comfortable with. Personally I think that raw input from the mouse on the highest possible DPI setting and the lowest comfortable speed setting in AC is best for me. But I also used a little $10 mini-mouse for several months with a max of (I think) 800 DPI, and jacked up the mousespeed in AC, and did OK. In the end, you will have to try different combinations of settings and just go with what's most comfy for you. Also I noticed someone said something about just getting a cheap wireless mouse. I would say use whatever you are comfortable with, EXCEPT a wireless mouse. A wired connection is, and will likely always be the best way to go.
ALSO!: Redragon Archelon mousepad FTFW: best $10 I ever spent.
Thanks given by:
(17 Dec 14, 02:55AM)ExodusS Wrote: Yes, this can be an issue for a basic mouse, but I can tell you a gamer mouse will not have this "resistant" cable, at least I have the Razer Imperator with a cable, and it's just perfect. I had some bad experiencies with batteries mouses (and when I said battery, i wanted to say the things you can not charge, and you must change each ~weeks) but anyway, chargers would annoy me as well.

Oh yeah, I know what you mean.  I hate those crap cables too, but it seems like it's any cable.  I had a Corsair mouse with a braided cable and it would flex smoothly, but I could feel the weight of it hanging off the table or feel resistance when it would catch on something, etc.  
Thanks given by:
Id recommend a mouse bungee for sure. Its a small thing that makes a small but noticeable difference. Pretty sure with some basic items (paperclip/paperweight?) You could make your own fairly easily. Might look ghetto as fuck but who cares. If youve got 15 burning a hole in your pocket you could check out cooler master's.
Thanks given by:
What's a mouse bungee? Also, Is lowering DPI better or sens? DPI affects the rest of my computer, right? Maybe it's over tired-ness but recently I've been thinking my mouse moves too fast on my screen >.>
Thanks given by:
A mouse bungee is something that holds the cord in place so it doesn't go flying everywhere when you move your mouse. I'd only recommend it if you're using a mid/high sensitivity.

I'd say it's better to keep your dpi at a reasonable level (I think the 1000 dpi setting would be fine) and then just lower your sens ingame. The same thing applies if you want to raise your sensitivity, just keep your dpi at a sensible level that the sensor can handle properly and then adjust it ingame, since ingame sensitivity scaling won't affect mouse performance.

If you want to change dpi values but keep the same sensitivity, the formula is:

(16 Dec 14, 12:29AM)Vanquish Wrote: old dpi * old sens / new dpi

Best of luck with it, hope you get the settings sorted. :)
Thanks given by:
Thanks haha. I meant it's too fast OUT of game on my screen. So I lowered it. When I'm tired (which has been the case for a week or so) it tends to mess with my motor control. I plan to adjust in-game sens according to that. I changed from 1000 down to I think 800. I may move it back up to 1000 though and I plan to follow that sens equation. Thanks.
Thanks given by:
Id recommed personally that you keep sens between your desktop and game the same. The logic being, everytime you use your computer you are "practicing" your aim in ac.
Thanks given by:
(29 Mar 15, 04:23AM)Waffles Wrote: Id recommed personally that you keep sens between your desktop and game the same. The logic being, everytime you use your computer you are "practicing" your aim in ac.

By that logic, you should also uninstall all your mouse drivers since 90% of them are coded poorly and interpolate the mouse movement causing it to be slightly different each time your OSD is resync'd (if you restart your computer or turn your monitor on/off, for example). Logitech's drivers seem to be ok (at least for me), however I've had three Razer mice that ran at 420dpi instead of 450 and 1750 instead of 1800. I've even heard of a mouse called the Ninox Aurora, which apparently has a driver that "breaks" mice, lol.
Thanks given by: