Money$hot goes backpacking in mountains for 4 days - lots of pics!
After suffering from severe porra depletion, Dr. Waffles recommended that to fully recuperate, I needed to fly back to the states for some R&R. I decided to go backpacking in one of our wonderful state parks here is south western, NC in the Smokey Mountains. I've hiked up the mountain to what I call my "base camp" before but have never continued up the trail to the top of the next much higher mountain ridge since the trail was just too fucking steep (like 45 degrees the whole way) and treacherous with broken limbs and fallen trees all over- plus there was no water up there (or so I thought) and I'd have to hump all my water up there with me to boot. My full pack with 2 days worth of water for me and my dog weighs in at about 55 lbs....yes, heavy as a MF...especially for 45 year old Money.

But this time I got adventurous and decided to go for it....besides, with all the good living I have been doing in Guyana, aside from the beatings, I'm not getting a lot of cardio of late.

So off I went. My wife has hiked up to and camped at my "base camp" a couple of weeks ago with me and did okay. I tried to con her into going on this trip w/me to the top but she said fuck no...she knew that shit got steep as hell. I was hoping to get her ass to hump some of the gear...but noooooo......so it was just me and the dog. Into the wild we went.

These mountains have plenty of deer and bear, so I didn't go unprotected, I packed my S&W .40 caliber semi-auto with 14 rd mag in a tactical leg holster. And yes it's legal here in parks, and besides I have a concealed carry license as well. I tell my wife I always take my gun in case of bear attack, but quite frankly - a bear is the least of my concerns, I'm more worried about the psychos and fucked-up hillbillies that seem to be attracted to trails and state parks. If they rolled up on me with some BS out in the middle of nowhere, they would leave with a face full of hollow points.

Anyways, so off I went. I got to my base camp in a couple of hours since I took a shortcut to the trail up an old fire road and parked my SUV there - shaved off a lot of trail time. Since I knew (thought I knew...see pics later) there was no water up there, once i got to my base camp I emptied my pack and hiked back down to my SUV to load up on 4 gallons of water and a couple extra blankets which I intend to cache/hide at my base camp for future use as I am a cool/cold weather hiker only....I don't deal well with sweating my ass off, fighting bugs and mosquitos and sweating in a screen tent all damned night. so I stick to early Spring, Fall and my favorite - winter. I'm just comfy in 10-20 degree weather and the campfire is just so much more enjoyable when it's cold out.

Hiking back up the 4 gallons of water was a MF and heavier than I thought. Plus I was already a little tired from the first trip up with a fat ass pack...this whole entire section of trail is all up hill and very steep in some places. Since I was sure there would be no water source at the top (or anywhere else along the section of trail that I was familiar with) I left my PUR hiker water purifier in the SUV to save weight. Turns out that was a mistake.

I camped over night at my base camp which has a great view of the mountains. This is essentially a small widened spot in the trail at the top of a knob with a nice view. Any further up the trail lies the hard seriously uphill hiking...more like climbing.

Here's some pics of my base camp , my destination acamp at the top and my wonderful trail dog Flea - who is a daddy's girl.:

First of all a pic of my exquisite AK-47 so you noobs know what a real AR actually looks like:

[Image: 100_0477.jpg]

My over stuffed backpack and flea:
[Image: 100_1920.jpg]

Keeping Flea warm with my down jacket...it got pretty cold that first night there at my base camp:
[Image: 100_1905.jpg]

My camp site:
[Image: 100_1889.jpg]

The View of the mountains:
[Image: 100_1890.jpg]

My 1-Man (plus dog) Bivy tent:
[Image: 100_1894.jpg]

4 gallons of pain:
[Image: 100_1895.jpg]

Flea going "WTF daddy?"
[Image: 100_1885.jpg]

A little test of a wood burning stove plan I got off the interwebs to conserve gas on the trip:
[Image: 100_1928.jpg]

Forced air furnace made possible by a money designed and rigged 11.1v 3cell 1300mah LIPO battery from one of my model airplanes and a 4 inch 12V PC case fan....got it hot enough to forge horseshoes up in that MF:

[Image: 100_1904.jpg]

Pretty Sunset:
[Image: 100_1902.jpg]

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now onto the second day.......

A small part of the steep uphill (looking back down) and things to cross with a heavy pack on:
[Image: 100_1948.jpg]

Looking up the trail from that point....shit laying in the way everywhere....I got tripped up on a damned stick and almost went over the edge of trail....almost...ole money don't go down like that:
[Image: 100_1950.jpg]

More steepness: (trust me, this was way steeper than it looks in the photos...:
[Image: 100_1949.jpg]

Some Bear poop...now I'm getting a little scareded...(I opened the thumb break on my leg holster at this point to draw faster if necessary) that was some big poo...:
[Image: 100_1917.jpg]

Finally at the summit in a sweet soft camping spot. Took me 3-1/2 hrs to make it, my legs were wet noodles when I met the summit. Spent the rest of the day gathering rock for the fire pit, fetching firewood, setting up camp, getting my gear out and organized, and pretty much took it easy and enjoyed the peace and quiet:

[Image: 100_1941.jpg]

Not as good of a view, but now much higher in elevation (about equal to the mountains in the background):
[Image: 100_1945.jpg]

Flea standing next to my awesome firepit I built lugging rocks from everywhere (just look at the expert bushmanship of that teepee fire just waiting to be lit):
[Image: 100_1944.jpg]

Flea in my tent taking a little nappy-poo:
[Image: 100_1935.jpg]

Next morning, went exploring with Flea and look what I find 1/8th mile further up the trail...a nice cool swiftly running creek....I humped  a day and a half worth of water up there for nothing  - can't drink it cuz of potential bacteria in water...could boil it to sterilize, but only brought a small pot and was scared of running out of gas in my 8oz cannister just sterilizing water:
[Image: 100_1936.jpg]

Some nice hot, fresh brewed coffee to warm me up the next morning as I watch the sun rise:
[Image: 100_1963.jpg]

Next day I hiked back down to my base camp to spend another night....only took me and hour or so going down hill!! Dug out my 2 bags I had stashed for some more food and soft blankets to line my tent with, plus 2 gallons of water I had also hidden.
[Image: 100_1957.jpg]

Flea warming up by the fire. She is kinda thin cuz she has insulin diabetes-i had to bring along her insulin and needles in a cold pack for 2 shots per day:
[Image: 100_1875.jpg]

Got cold and damp that night notice tent sagging and wet a bit:
[Image: 100_1880.jpg]

Flea chilling in the warm sun in the morning:
[Image: 100_1892.jpg]

Sunrise over the mountain tops that morning:
[Image: 100_1908.jpg]

Flea chilling next to my bivy shelter:
[Image: 100_1852.jpg]

Overall, I had a great time (and so did my dog). Theres just something about still being able to find a place in this country where you can hike and camp for days and not see another living soul - and I didn't either. This park is kinda out of the way and is not a huge tourist spot or anything, plus in winter time, the place is practically vacant and I practically have it all to myself. The park is about 45 mins from my house, so not too bad of a drive for me. Now that I know there is water available up top, all I have to hike up is like one 32oz bottle full - enuff to drink on the way up and get me there, then I can filter all I need for cooking, washing and rehydrating my dehydrated camping meals.

Now I have to get on my private plane and head back to my teabag training camp in Guyana....I only hope the place is still together...I left itsBRITNEYbitch in charge...I hope it wasn't a mistake.

Hope U enjoyed my trip!

M$
Thanks given by:
What kind of dog is that? My brother has a pretty girl named Carmen. Love her to death.
Thanks given by:
(04 Dec 14, 04:58AM)MorganKell Wrote: What kind of dog is that? My brother has a pretty girl named Carmen. Love her to death.

She is a Pit/Lab mix. Loving as hell, licks me to death. Real good dog.
Thanks given by:
Nice stuff. Carmen is the same kind, though my bro says she's full Pit. Always thought he was off there. Had a Pit/boxer mix named Peter but we lost him to a truck. Telling ya man... first dog I get for myself is going to be either a Pittie mix, or a full Pit. Love those screwballs. If I ever figure out how upload images I'll throw a few up.
Thanks given by:
(04 Dec 14, 05:20AM)MorganKell Wrote: Nice stuff. Carmen is the same kind, though my bro says she's full Pit. Always thought he was off there. Had a Pit/boxer mix named Peter but we lost him to a truck. Telling ya man... first dog I get for myself is going to be either a Pittie mix, or a full Pit. Love those screwballs. If I ever figure out how upload images I'll throw a few up.

To upload images u have to host them elsewhere. Open a free account at photobucket.com-drag and drop uploads, one click copy image url to put in your post, pretty nice site,  that's where I host mine. AC forum doesn't host any images.

Think about a border collie mix, or full border collie... I had a mix named Molly and she lived for 17 years until I had to put her down myself with my pistol. She was deaf, going blind and had arthritis and doggie dementia-was walking in circles and getting stuck in corners and stuff. Sad. Couldn't watch her like that any longer. Wonderful dog-VERY smart and well mannered. Never mean. Was with me thru hell and high water. Take another one in a heart beat.

Molly (RIP)
[Image: 100_0193.jpg]
Thanks given by:
nice. kinda hard to tell what mountain chain that is from the photos but it reminds me of Appalachia (where i'm from).

border collies' are the shit
Thanks given by:
As an American, nice gun.

Cute dog, views, campsite, etc.

Didn't get any ticks did you?
Thanks given by:
(05 Dec 14, 12:20AM)Nightmare Wrote: As an American, nice gun.

Cute dog, views, campsite, etc.

Didn't get any ticks did you?

No ticks, all the bugs are gone by this time of year. I also did not contract any testicular parasites such as lice, fleas or the dreaded Brazilian Jumping Crab.
Thanks given by:
I haven't been for a solid hike in about 6 months now, these photo's don't help the mountain cravings :)

If I'm ever out your way, I'd be keen for some mountain adventures with you and the dog. I have a similar pup, but she'd be a bit expensive to take on the plane I think. She's more of a Shepherd/Ridgeback cross though. Has a good ticker, can run for 20 odd km's and be completely fine the next day :)
Thanks given by:
You knitted the dog's jacket all by yourself i assume?
Thanks given by:
(05 Dec 14, 09:26AM)Marti Wrote: You knitted the dog's jacket all by yourself i assume?

Yes. I knitted it from my pubic hair.
Thanks given by:
(05 Dec 14, 07:51AM)Flint Wrote: I haven't been for a solid hike in about 6 months now, these photo's don't help the mountain cravings :)

If I'm ever out your way, I'd be keen for some mountain adventures with you and the dog. I have a similar pup, but she'd be a bit expensive to take on the plane I think. She's more of a Shepherd/Ridgeback cross though. Has a good ticker, can run for 20 odd km's and be completely fine the next day :)

Until a few weeks ago when me and my wife went for one night, I hadn't been hiking in over 15 years. Work, moving, other interests just kept me from it. I used to do a lot of hiking and car camping when I lived in PA. I flew hanggliders in PA also, sometimes we would have to drive 4 or 5 hours just to reach a spot where the wind was blowing right. We all got tired of driving back home on Sat eve, only to drive back on Sunday cuz it was still blowing good - so me and my buddies started camping out at the sites...and I really enjoyed it and then got into backpacking.

Luckily, all my gear was still in excellent shape, I purchased all top of the line stuff, so I just had to buy a few fuel cannisters for my stove and some freeze dried camping food. I did order a new 0 degree sleeping bag though, my 30 degree Kelty bag got a little cold when it dipped into the 20's when me and my wife were out. I need to get one for my wife - she froze her ass off in a cheap 40 deg bag we bought her at walmart. I also bought a new small 2-person backpacking tent for a little more room than my single person bivy tent in the pics and me and my wife can use it instead of my gargantuan 4 person dome tent which weighs a ton.

There is nothing better than reaching your destination in a beautiful wilderness, having your camp and tent all set up and finally enjoying a good meal around a warm fire that you built yourself. = heaven
Thanks given by:
That looks awesome! I'd like to go camping alone sometime.
Thanks given by:
In that video of you burning powder, I could die happy if you never bump fired it esp from the hip... again.
Thanks given by:
(21 Dec 14, 01:49PM)Bullpup Wrote: In that video of you burning powder, I could die happy if you never bump fired it esp from the hip... again.

LOL, I was wondering if any of you damned AC noobs would pick up on that...nobody questioned me owning a $10k AK full auto with all the licensing etc. The europeans think that we americans can just go down to the gun store and buy full auto weapons...(and many dumb americans too)

Too funny. You must know a little about guns I see.
Thanks given by:
(21 Dec 14, 12:51PM)Idioplex Wrote: That looks awesome! I'd like to go camping alone sometime.

Solo camping is fun, but a bit more dangerous - esp if you dont have cell service (i luckily did at the top only). If you go solo ALWAYS,ALWAYS leave someone info on exactly where you'll be hiking - your planned route, and your expected arrival time back home and they can call in rescue for you if you don't show up on time.
Thanks given by:
Yeah definitely a good idea. I'll keep that in mind. :)
Thanks given by: