AC Christmas Cup Discussion
(27 Nov 14, 07:45PM)Teapot Wrote: venison has 3 pathways lol.

3 main routes yes

But also 100000 rooms
Thanks given by:
i would like to test venison in CM.
but please , be serious , keller no.
Thanks given by:
Venison might be a beautiful and a good piece of work but I agree it doesnt suit competitive playstyle even in 3v3
The map is big, there are FPS drops, many different routes even if there are main paths and i somehow still think some areas should be clipped. I think its a fun map to admire and run around in a pub game, but its not fast pushing enough, not enough action or flagging opportunities for a competitive game.

If you dont understand why people dont want venison in, think of why depot or iceroad arent considered either in 3v3 : boring, big maps, no action, few flagging opportunities which is pretty contrary to the Capture The FLAG mode. (Not TDM or TSURV)
Thanks given by:
Talking about map biases is completely irrelevant because maps will be played on both sides.

If we could bring in a group of gamers that don't play AC but play alike games competitively then we could have them investigate all the maps and decide what maps are too biased to be played in a fair competitive setting. This would only truly help if a competitive match was just (1) match where the map needed to be fair because only one round on one fair map would decide the winning team. That's not how matches are played though. Each team gets to choose a map, whether biased or not, in the typical AC clan match which also eliminates the need to discuss biases.

So what about maps some people think are boring or that the enemy has studied well or are too dark or cause frame drops? It's never going to be that fair, get over it. This is a free online multiplayer FPS that uses such little resources that it allows a lot of people to play with decent framerate. Celebrate that. To further restrict competitive map play because of x player is going to drop framerate when looking down the middle of werk or because Y player's monitor is old and keller looks really dark isn't reason enough to eliminate maps from a tournament.

Allow all maps to be played. We can remove a map from the tournament if there is a unanimous decision from all participating players to do so.
Thanks given by:
I'm just fucking excited for a tourney! Anyone want to make a pick up team with me? Am willing to train hard :)
Thanks given by:
No pause, no peace! *riot riot riot*
Thanks given by:
(27 Nov 14, 09:27PM)Flint Wrote: I'm just fucking excited for a tourney! Anyone want to make a pick up team with me? Am willing to train hard :)

Flint Halo RKT 1Cap....
Thanks given by:
(27 Nov 14, 09:11PM)DamDam Wrote: Venison might be a beautiful and a good piece of work but I agree it doesnt suit competitive playstyle even in 3v3
The map is big, there are FPS drops, many different routes even if there are main paths and i somehow still think some areas should be clipped. I think its a fun map to admire and run around in a pub game, but its not fast pushing enough, not enough action or flagging opportunities for a competitive game.

If you dont understand why people dont want venison in, think of why depot or iceroad arent considered either in 3v3 : boring, big maps, no action, few flagging opportunities which is pretty contrary to the Capture The FLAG mode. (Not TDM or TSURV)

venison too big? Its not bigger than power and I dont see anyone complaining about power being in the map pool. I think it plays faster than power also because the middle is shorter due to design.

What are these different routes your talking about? venison is simple there are 3 ways to go left right or middle there is no path to switch from left to right or from middle to left...

Depot is boring for me to but I dont mind iceroad the middle is more interesting than depot's middle.
Thanks given by:
(27 Nov 14, 09:45PM)Mousikos Wrote:
(27 Nov 14, 09:27PM)Flint Wrote: I'm just fucking excited for a tourney! Anyone want to make a pick up team with me? Am willing to train hard :)

Flint Halo RKT 1Cap....

Moose knows about that <3
Thanks given by:
(27 Nov 14, 09:45PM)Mousikos Wrote:

Flint Halo RKT 1Cap....

RKT may be willing, I've made some enquiries. 1Cap is taking a short break atm, but I might be able to coax him back in time for the tournament :)
Thanks given by:
This seems cool.
I like the idea of bringing in some other cm maps instead of d3 gothic etc. But not keller.
Thanks given by:
Why is outpost not on this list? It is a little biased towards blue but its an enjoyable map.

I can understand why keller is a map that people do not want. It had its chance but venison has not been played in cm's really so why not give it that chance to become a popular map. I have actually played Endgame and Teapot on this map in a 2v2 and it is actually a really fun map. If size is the problem then get rid of mines and power.

Edit: Also, could you consider lainio? I know its not played too much but its a decently sized map for a 3v3 and its not too biased.
Thanks given by:
(28 Nov 14, 12:26AM)bballn45 Wrote: Why is outpost not on this list?

ac_depot is not in the list, I hope it answered your question.
Thanks given by:
outpost is a lot more fast paced than depot.
Thanks given by:
#allowallmaps
Thanks given by:
(27 Nov 14, 11:50PM)RikPik Wrote: But not keller.

Whoa this guy knows
Thanks given by:
Venison particularly is a map that very few players actually know. It is not a true test of skill but more about adaptability. I personally would not mind seeing it, but dont dilude yourselves about the unfair bias towards FD for knowing the map better just base on proxinity to the project.

My competitive spirit says fuck that.
Thanks given by:
(28 Nov 14, 01:41AM)EndGame Wrote: #allowallmaps
Thanks given by:
(28 Nov 14, 12:26AM)bballn45 Wrote: Why is outpost not on this list? It is a little biased towards blue but its an enjoyable map.

Since it's not very suited to 3v3 due to its small size and only two paths. The meta-game on it is CLA camps with occasional sneaking while RVSF mostly tries just to overpower. It's a possibility if many people want it.

I'm more concerned with getting a consensus on at least one more 1.2 map for variation's sake.

(28 Nov 14, 04:46AM)Waffles Wrote: Venison particularly is a map that very few players actually know. It is not a true test of skill but more about adaptability. I personally would not mind seeing it, but dont dilude yourselves about the unfair bias towards FD for knowing the map better just base on proxinity to the project.

My competitive spirit says fuck that.

I don't think it should matter that FD have more experience on a particular map since it's been released for a long time now with ample chance of learning it!
Thanks given by:
(28 Nov 14, 06:42AM)Roflcopter Wrote: I'm more concerned with getting a consensus on at least one more 1.2 map for variation's sake.

I don't think it should matter that FD have more experience on a particular map since it's been released for a long time now with ample chance of learning it!
If your going to add more 1.2 maps, I would go with both lainio and venision. I think everyone can agree maps like terros are not good choices.
Thanks given by:
Added a rule about aliases:

Quote:Players that have been proven to cheat in the last 6 months may not play. Players should use their well-known names for signup and play with those names if requested by a referee. In any case, players should not use purposely confusing or misleading names.
Thanks given by:
Venison is stupid, if you want to add another 1.2 map go for lainio since the layout is similar to shine. It is quite heavily biased tho (one side is laughably vulnerable to spawnrape) but it's the lesser of many evils. I would still argue that so many maps are not necessary for a one-day competition, tho.

Dumb maps like keller, outpost, etc should absolutely not be added. I dislike mines but I'm fine with it being in the pool because it at least plays somewhat decently, whereas outpost isn't suited to 3v3 (can't remember which league it was for, but we had to play LC on it and it was awful) and keller doesn't even deserve to be discussed competitively, I'd rather see ctf ac_victor added. More people will complain if you add something controversial than if you omit it. This isn't a case of me trying to blacklist maps I dislike, otherwise I'd be trying to get rid of desert3 and ingress too.
Thanks given by:
(27 Nov 14, 05:21PM)quico Wrote: wow cool, do we have to sign up here?

Signup will be on the day that matches are played (probably the 21 December but that may be changed) at 12pm GMT. There will be a signup thread on AC forums posted at that time and contact information such as IRC and Teamspeak where you can talk to the organisers and other players.
Thanks given by:
>11pm
Thankfully, I'll probably be out first round.
Thanks given by:
Note that matches start at 2pm GMT currently. Would it be better if we changed signup to 10am and matches to 12pm GMT (or something similar)? Please everyone weigh in with your preferences if you're interested in playing!
Thanks given by:
(28 Nov 14, 10:52AM)Roflcopter Wrote: Would it be better if we changed signup to 10am and matches to 12pm GMT (or something similar)?
I support this transition, 12:00 GMT is midnight here, where I live, as well as in AUS and NZL.
Thanks given by:
Personally I'd prefer the original time since I won't have to adjust my sleeping pattern.
Plus, 12pm GMT is 7am for eastern america and 5am for western america, which is kinda ridiculous.
Thanks given by:
(28 Nov 14, 11:49AM)Vanquish Wrote: 12pm GMT is 7am for eastern america and 5am for western america, which is kinda ridiculous.
4am for Cali, actually. No one's going to wake up 4-7am to participate in a tournmanet.
Thanks given by:
(28 Nov 14, 01:18PM)Mousikos Wrote: No one's going to wake up 4-7am to participate in a tournmanet.

But a lot of people aren't sleeping yet at 4am.

About Venison, I think it's a nice map but the main issue is probably the fact it's way too huge for a 3 paths map. I only played it once in a match-like situation and in 3 vs 3 it was really easy to defend for both sides and the game ended with a strong 0 - 0. There are no real camping spot like ac_depot where you can just sneak to grab a flag IMO.
And when I run on my integrated graphic-card, this map lags as hell because some rooms are really huge and full of details, you often see far away (2-3 rooms away) so it might lag for a lot of people too.
Thanks given by:
'A lot of people aren't sleeping yet at 4am'
This is just stupid

Oh and vanquish you dont even have a sleeping pattern :D

OT: since im european both times seem fine for me
Thanks given by: