Basic map requirements
I have a few maps I want to fix up for 1.2.0.2, but am having a bit of trouble. What are the requirements?

I know it is thought of as a "noob" map, but does anyone know what is specifically wrong with the HeadShotCity maps?

Thanks!
Thanks given by:
compare them to official ac maps. do you notice a difference?

you might want to read this
Thanks given by:
(25 Nov 14, 07:39PM)Robtics Wrote: compare them to official ac maps. do you notice a difference?

you might want to read this

Oh, thanks! I look for somethink like this but couldn't find it. It doesn't give specifics, but it helps.
Thanks given by:
Max map dims in this version:

30 cubes height

50,000 overall height (this includes heightfields)

and 10,000 overall area.

Enjoy.
Thanks given by:
(25 Nov 14, 08:56PM)D3M0NW0LF Wrote: Max map dims in this version:

30 cubes height

50,000 overall height (this includes heightfields)

and 10,000 overall area.

Enjoy.

I'm sure I should know this, but what is the overall height? the height per cube added up into one value?

Thanks!
Thanks given by:
That I haven't figured out myself to be honest.
Thanks given by:
Overall height will exceed the max values whenever you have a map which has high ceilings all across the map. Read, a regular map is rather expected to have high/open and 'normal' areas. Those HeadShotCity-maps usually are simply too high. Lowering the ceiling is one way to improve the map.
Thanks given by:
(26 Nov 14, 09:41AM)Mr.Floppy Wrote: Overall height will exceed the max values whenever you have a map which has high ceilings all across the map. Read, a regular map is rather expected to have high/open and 'normal' areas. Those HeadShotCity-maps usually are simply too high. Lowering the ceiling is one way to improve the map.
Thanks! Yes, it seems that was the problem, as I  was afraid.  When shortened, the map is accepted.  The only problem with that is that half the fun of the HSC maps was their height. 
|UF|Truck and I have made an acceptable version, anyway. We also fixed a LOT of visual problems but it's still just not the same without the height.
Thanks given by:
(25 Nov 14, 06:49PM)IBiteBack Wrote: ...does anyone know what is specifically wrong with the HeadShotCity maps?

Basic map requirements are here to give the total illusion for some devs that shitty maps are blocked while they are dodging the restrictions instead. It results in a smarter shitty maps' universe and a worse player experience. Since shitty maps are not shitty enough, some people are improving the restriction filter in each AC releases to be sure future versions of the game will release some even more shitty maps than the actual ones, and some people are improving their restriction dodging too, it results in worse played shitty maps each releases, old maps with an even shittiest gameplay because of the added pillars and many closed topics when some interesting arguments are dressed toward devs who want to keep the map resrictions, we used to have Ezjemvill and OldVillage, then with 1.1 restrictions became popular TwinTowers, thanks to the 1.2 for introducing the almighty Campers@Campers.
Thanks given by:
Map restrictions can be checked in game by typing /showmapstats

Mean height is the average map height, thus it is incorrect to say that the max height should be 30 cubes, because if you have 2 same sized rooms with one being 20 and the other one being 40 cubes high, it will average out to 30.

Max area is the max open area of the map. I'm not sure how it's calculated exactly, but this restriction is the most lenient, even on bigger open maps, it hardly reaches the max limit, unless of course, you make something huge.

Height check is a limit that only gets calculated if you have a room that is over 30 cubes high, so if your map doesn't have any rooms higher than this, it will not be an issue at all. If you do step over the 30 limit, you can still go under 50 000 with some planing, but be extra careful here, as even small rooms that go let's say 50 cubes high will launch this height check really high. There are exact forumals somewhere as to how it's calculated, but you can just /showmapstats every so often to see if you are exceeding any limits while you build your map, so it's easier to fix, unlike checking it when you complete the whole map.

Please not that /showmapstats will only recalculate when you load the map, so the preferred way is /savemap /loadmap /showmapstats

Good luck mapping.
Thanks given by:
The map restrictions are stupid. ;) ...
Thanks given by:
(31 Mar 15, 12:18PM)RKTnoob Wrote: Map restrictions can be checked in game by typing /showmapstats
Mean height is the average map height...Max area is the max open area of the map...Height check is a limit that only gets calculated if you have a room that is over 30 cubes highGood luck mapping.

I didn't know about that command--thanks! I'll keep all of that in mind next time I do something like this.
(31 Mar 15, 12:18PM)ExodusS Wrote: Basic map requirements are here to give the total illusion for some devs that shitty maps are blocked while they are dodging the restrictions instead.
Saddly, that seems to be true.  It seems to me that the devs should just leave the reqs alone.  Most bad maps will die on their own. Those which don't (like twin towers and camper) are enjoyed by many (noobs?) so, just let them have their fun!  The map restrictions seem to be a driving force behind the use of "forks" of AC, which have less strict reqs. But what does that matter? I have no say, anyway.
(and by the way, I generally don't like the "sh**y" maps, either.  HSC is one of the few exceptions to that, since it offers much more variety in gameplay)
Thanks given by:
we must thank those who created this restriction on the maps ...
This has pushed many away players of the game.
they also took the ac_douze flags!
imagine! a map that is clearly ctf ...
now... ingress, D3, gothic, ingress, D3, gothic,ingress, D3, gothic,ingress, D3, gothic,ingress, D3, gothic,ingress, D3, gothic,ingress, D3, gothic, shine, ingress, D3, gothic,ingress, D3, gothic,ingress, D3, gothic,ingress, D3, gothic...
There is a good map in this version: "swat silent day"
would be nice to leave this map with less lag ...
Hey, share your fixed maps \0

*its Silent not Silency
Thanks given by:
If you have to use "showmapstats", you're doing it wrong. You should always try to map with the engine, instead of against it...
Thanks given by:
The top 10 best maps on this game are both "against" the engine. As the engine is limited, we, mappers, always have to find ways to trick the engine and expand our mapping possibilities.
Thanks given by:
Mapping in a way, that allows the engine to render your work properly within its limits, is "working with the engine". For example, press F6 in the editor and look around douze.

It's possible, your top 10 differs from mine...
Thanks given by:
(03 Apr 15, 04:08PM)stef Wrote: It's possible, your top 10 differs from mine...

Yes, that's rather obviously true, since you are two different people.  But from an objective standpoint, I'm sure ExodusS' top 10 would be a little closer to the truth, considering he's actually a good mapper, comparatively speaking to you.
Thanks given by: