Experiment
So I reinstalled a fresh new version of assaultcube and am trying to change as little as possible. However, I still want to be competitive. What would be okay to change?

Things I've changed so far:
vsync 0
fov 120
fullscreen 0
sensitivity 1.3
graphics detail: horrible
reduced violence mode: on
gib gore: off
highlight color: purple
autoreload 0

Any other suggestions? I'm thinking maybe hitsound 2.
Thanks given by:
Gamma? Full coloured vests?
Thanks given by:
(13 Sep 14, 06:24PM)Marti Wrote: Gamma? Full coloured vests?

Linux generic drivers sometimes does not care about gamma. But okay, full colored vest. Should I hitsound? I'm also thinking of fog 1024 but dunno if that counts as chaeting or not XD
Thanks given by:
Nothing that comes with AC can be considered a cheat. I can't imagine playing without hitsounds though.
Thanks given by:
change your graphic card to NVidia and you'll be a pro
(its true)
Thanks given by:
(13 Sep 14, 07:49PM)1Cap Wrote: change your graphic card to NVidia and you'll be a pro
(its true)

Vanquish uses AMD. He's pro. Go away.
Thanks given by:
Honestly, it's already running a lot faster without the extra graphics bogging it down. Maybe mapstartalways = fog 1024 will make it lag.
Thanks given by:
(13 Sep 14, 08:04PM)Music Wrote: Honestly, it's already running a lot faster without the extra graphics bogging it down. Maybe mapstartalways = fog 1024 will make it lag.

It doesn't lag, I did it on a fresh install and it has no noticeable difference.
Thanks given by:
it's noticeable for me and i hate doing it. The only map i use 1024 on is werk because its pretty horrific otherwise.

I dunno about fullscreen 0 either. I personally cannot play that way but if it works for you more power to you.

/animationinterpolationtime is interesting to mess with and there are a few others i cant rightly remember the names of. I'll get back to you.
Thanks given by:
Hm, I'm going to up my max soudns to 100 and see if it lags. I can't hear myself die sometimes. Like no gun sound, I just kind of flop to the ground.
Thanks given by:
AMD cards don't suck, they're actually (in my opinion) better than NVIDIA for their money. It's the drivers that suck. They add an absolute shit ton of ridiculous latency-increasing options (some of which, such as auto GPU scaling, you can't turn off), and the newer drivers prevent you from forcing your own custom resolution and refresh rate. This essentially means that if your monitor doesn't have hardware scaling, you're forced to run every game and application you use at the monitor's default resolution and 60Hz. Essentially, AMD (and to some extent, newer NVIDIA cards such as the Titan) have outrageously bad driver settings. They optimise their drivers entirely for frame stutter reduction in title game benchmarks and when using Crossfire (or SLi), and as a result completely ignore the one thing that most of us care about: input latency.
The only solution is to use a custom .inf or registry file, or revert to an old driver before the scaling and resolution modules were rewritten. This causes problems with most new graphics cards since only the newest drivers are available for them.
AMD drivers also create frame stutter in games that run on DirectX 9 and below (it affects my one true love, Skyrim). The only fix for me was to turn off vsync, or alternatively keep vsync on but use MSI Afterburner or a similar tool to limit the framerate being displayed in Skyrim to 59.9 fps, so there's no 59-60-64-59-60-etc stutter.

Btw, on topic: windowed mode will utilise GPU scaling so it will _always_ add input lag, since graphical scaling is an extra computational process in itself. However, the exact amount depends mainly on your monitor, and to some extent the type of scaling used (Display Scaling is better than GPU scaling). This also goes for things such as driver-enabled FXAA (and if you have a NVIDIA card, "Maximum Prerendered Frames" will also add latency). GPU scaling is also present (for me) when I try to run the game at a resolution that doesn't match the native aspect ratio of my monitor (16:9), so 4:3 aspect ratios (such as 1024x768, 800x600, etc) end up looking stretched across my screen (this was the case on my old computer, which had an AMD XFX 7950, but it wasn't the case on my older computer, which had a GeForce 9100). Not only does it make my game look like arse, it also adds noticeable input delay.

Anyway, some settings you may want to tinker with:

/animationinterpolationtime
/smoothmove
/smoothdist
/sensitivityscale

And yes please use hitsound, helps a ton! You can edit the volume of the hitsound in your sounds.cfg or use a custom one, I have the quake live hitsound. Best of luck!

EDIT: I don't use AMD anymore, playing on a laptop with a GTX 870M. 8)

EDIT2: Fixed a major derp in my post.
Thanks given by:
AMD vs Nvidia in laptop GC: http://www.notebookcheck.net/Mobile-Grap...844.0.html

IMO, both sucks, they can do way better things but all they want is money, they add useless ridiculous amount of RAM just to seem better than their opponents, they don't care about drivers and they will never even try to fix the latency for the vertical sync anymore (their last tries were years ago).

Works for drivers are often negative because it doesn't take care of each computers, it's just made to fix a few bugs most people have but it often happens new automatic updates are fucking up a lot of things (dev's nightmares, i believe).

EDIT: I'd like to see what a new concurent would "fix" in this duopoly scam.

(13 Sep 14, 06:56PM)Artemis Wrote: I can't imagine playing without hitsounds though.

:')
Thanks given by:
Arya
I guess I missed that. Do you have a laptop?
Your system is based on Linux?
Well, I assumed that you use Linux and have a desktop.
So a NVidia video card has good drivers for Linux.

* Also this talk about hardware is old. All pieces have a part in the performance.
Still .. the question of "bottleneck" of the system ...
Thanks given by:
Always so positive exoduss lol
Thanks given by:
(14 Sep 14, 01:46AM)Marti Wrote: Always so positive exoduss lol

Business world is not made of flowers. Think different.
Thanks given by:
Not sure if it has been said but I think its a shame to turn off gibs ... It just belongs!

/maxfps ?
Thanks given by:
/maxroll? :D
Thanks given by:
(13 Sep 14, 10:03PM)Vanquish Wrote: a laptop with a GTX 870M. 8)

MSI, or a Blade or something?
Thanks given by:
it was actually a custom model from cyberpowersystem (the UK version of cyberpowerpc). Most new laptops come with Windows 8, which I do not want for numerous reasons, so my only choice was to order a custom one and change the pre-installed operating system.

It's actually surprisingly ok for gaming in terms of power/performance, but it takes some real adjustment to get used to a laptop after having used almost only desktops for three years.
Thanks given by:
I must admit this was the chipest 15.6" laptop I saw with such a CG and processor (and a free downgrade to Windows 7).
Thanks given by:
More gibs can save you here and there when you see them bouncing in from a corner. FOV is a bitch in a way, when it's at 120 you can see more which helps, but some people prefer less, as it increases precision in some aspects. I personally use 120 on my widescreen, so it's kinda okay, but set it up however you like. Some snipers told me that less fov is better for a sniper guy, tho I wouldn't know much, I hardly play it. fog 1024 on always if your machine can take it, it increases the view distance and some maps have a few places with long shots, so you might have something out of it. Prolly makes no difference on a lower setting for a shotgun, as it's pretty useless on those ranges. If I might offer some advice, play some solo pistol on pubs, and don't pick up akimbo. I managed to get a +1 ratio that way, and I learned a lot from it, especially cover and dodging.
Thanks given by:
Fog 1024 is not always positive for your machine, on all official maps, it just force your computer to add a visible fog effect (or it's a neutral effect, or it's negative), but anyway, at any value above the basic fog value (decided by the mapper in the .cfg of the map) the client is loading everything in your field of view because the fog isn't intense enough to hide something.
Thanks given by:
Meh, there are some maps I'm playing now and i can't see to snipe and I get shot. -_- What's an average map fog? Would 512 help?
Thanks given by:
/fog 0 would help.
Thanks given by:
I dont use a customized /fog setting and the only map I notice a disadvantage is ac_werk. I dont think its a must-have setting in competitive AC.

What about /texreduce?
Thanks given by:
(13 Sep 14, 06:18PM)Music Wrote: graphics detail: horrible
setting graphics details as "horrible" actually involves a lot of parameters, its not really changing "as little as possible" ;)
Thanks given by:
Quote::')
?
Thanks given by:
(15 Sep 14, 09:30PM)Luc@s Wrote:
(13 Sep 14, 06:18PM)Music Wrote: graphics detail: horrible
setting graphics details as "horrible" actually involves a lot of parameters, its not really changing "as little as possible" ;)

Eh? I thought it was /texreduce 0

What else does it change?
Thanks given by:
Antialias, texreduce, just to name a few.
Thanks given by:
(16 Sep 14, 12:04AM)Music Wrote: Eh? I thought it was /texreduce 0

What else does it change?

// Horrible gfx quality
fsaa 0
aniso 0
minlod 60
gfxqualityalias = 1
fpsrange 20 25
watersubdiv 64
dynlight 0
waterreflect 0