CTF Scoring
Is it possible to score flags to a team instead of just a player? Can it be coded as such? Player A scores, he leaves, but his flag stays with the team. Many good players will nab 3-4 flags and the match could be a 7-7 game, going down to the buzzer, but if that player leaves then their team suffers catastrophic flag loss and all of a sudden the remaining players get a game and screenshot that isn't worth anything. It doesn't show the true story. I'd like to throw this out as an idea. Code it in such a way that when a player scores and leaves their flags stay with their team. This would also serve the purpose of holding Autoteam at bay, and allow, in my opinion, for players to build teamwork within their teams.

I don't know anything about coding and how much time and energy it would take to make something like this a reality so apologies ahead of time for any misunderstanding.

Would be hella sweet though.
Thanks given by:
It was already said but I could not find the OP, well, in average it's good (of course), I just try to find negative aspect and I think it would make the shuffling process even more hard for the server, especially if the server only reffers to the score of each players.

Sometimes you make all the work, and it would be good if the screenshot could show you scored everything and SpaghettiMan42 only had a few more frags than you to be the first player in points or whatever.

Disabling the server auto-switch except during the intermissions would already be a huge progress.
Thanks given by:
It shouldn't be difficult:
- Server stores the number of flags per player, or number of kills in other game modes.
- Server stores the number of flags/kills per team as well, incrementing when players on the team score or kill and never changing besides that.
Thanks given by:
(12 Aug 14, 10:47PM)morshu9001 Wrote: It shouldn't be difficult:
- Server stores the number of flags per player, or number of kills in other game modes.
- Server stores the number of flags/kills per team as well, incrementing when players on the team score or kill and never changing besides that.

code it
Thanks given by:
I like this idea, F1
Thanks given by:
(12 Aug 14, 11:14PM)Marti Wrote:
(12 Aug 14, 10:47PM)morshu9001 Wrote: It shouldn't be difficult:

code it

Are you trying to say in a snarky way that this is hard to code? Really, it's not. I'd do it if I were on the team. But they use C++, not C, so that won't happen.
Thanks given by:
I say if you want it to happen, create the code so devs can check and implement it
Thanks given by:
AC has two main targets: public games and competitive matches. In competitive matches, no players switch between teams, so there's no problem here. In public games, with all the switching around and joining and leaving, there's no way to "fairly" count flags.

For example: if, as the drunk proposes, the flags stay with the team when a player leaves - the final screenshot would show a lot of players affiliated with those flags, when in fact they may have joined the game after the scoring player left...

Public games are meant to be pure fun: 30 seconds from desktop to the enemy flag, remember? "Proper" scores are impossible to generate in that situation - every possible change would help in some situations, but be much worse in others. If you actually want to check a team's (or player's) performance during a public match: watch the demo, that's what it's for.
Thanks given by:
(13 Aug 14, 10:55AM)stef Wrote: Public games are meant to be pure fun: 30 seconds from desktop to the enemy flag, remember?

Less*

ExodusS Wrote: What do you like about AC?
Less than 30 seconds from the desktop to the enemy flag.
Thanks given by:
sry :)
Thanks given by:
Just quit teamkilling, then maybe the scoring players won't ragequit on you when their flag gets reset... ;D jk jk
Thanks given by:
(13 Aug 14, 10:41AM)Marti Wrote: I say if you want it to happen, create the code so devs can check and implement it

Okay, sorry for the misunderstanding. I didn't know they'd do that. So… looking at the code, the server doesn't even have any kind of team data structure, but it just stores all the players' scores and teams. It sends all the players' scores and teams to the clients, who then count the number of flags per team.

This is one way to solve this:
- Add an extra "player" to each team that just represents the overall team score. (in server.cpp)
- Increment that "player"'s score each time a player on the same team scores. So far, easy to do.
- Scoreboard.cpp's teamscore class needs to only look at that one player's score instead of adding the others. Also needs to not show that one player in the score list. Not hard.
- Uhh, I don't know C++ (but learning as I look at it) or how this project works, so there might be other stuff I'm missing. Hopefully not.
- All the third-party clients need to be aware of this.

I'm going for it, but I doubt they'll accept it. EDIT: OK, actually no. There are client types and stuff that I don't want to spend time looking through unless I know they actually want this feature.
Thanks given by:
Thank you for the thoughts morshu9001. I am glad the idea was at least tossed around.
Thanks given by:
(13 Aug 14, 09:52PM)morshu9001 Wrote: So… looking at the code, the server doesn't even have any kind of team data structure

Welcome to AC code. Enjoy your stay.
Thanks given by:
By the way Sir stef, no need to call names. If you're feeling froggy we can always settle things with a few 1v1s. Your map, my mode.
Thanks given by:
^pf
Thanks given by:
(16 Aug 14, 06:24AM)MorganKell Wrote: Thank you for the thoughts morshu9001. I am glad the idea was at least tossed around.

To be honest, me tossing it around doesn't mean much. I'm no AC or C++ programmer :p I would want someone with more influence over the project to consider it.
Thanks given by: