how much work would it take?
Thought i would put this in offtopic because its a very popular subject.

But how much coding WOULD IT ACCTUALLY TAKE to port AssaultCube onto the Cube2 engine?

I mean, we already have all the textures, player models, weapon models etc.
and it does still run on Cube engine!

or is it not that simple?
Thanks given by:
IIRC, it'd have to be completely remade from scratch. Something like Cube 2 is legit 3D and Cube 1 is bs 3D. Would need all new playermodels and everything.

So we just need a dozen professional quality developers who can stay home working on AC2 all day.

So I think we're stuck with this :) *nags devs to get 1.3 out*
Or aerkefiende unleashes a kickstarter, raises a million dollars, and hires the above pros to make AC2 under his design. :O
Thanks given by:
(11 Aug 14, 11:51PM)Nightmare Wrote: So I think we're stuck with this :) *nags devs to get 1.3 out*

Right-click, rename.
Thanks given by:
(11 Aug 14, 10:51PM)MykeGregory Wrote: I mean, we already have all the textures, player models, weapon models etc.
A lot of them were only specifically licensed for use with AssaultCube.
Thanks given by:
well you wouldn't have to change the name, just the numbers afterward
Thanks given by:
There's already a ported edition of AC to Cube 2, it's just sold under the name of 'Call of Duty' :D
Thanks given by:
(11 Aug 14, 10:51PM)MykeGregory Wrote: Thought i would put this in offtopic because its a very popular subject.

But how much coding WOULD IT ACCTUALLY TAKE to port AssaultCube onto the Cube2 engine?

I mean, we already have all the textures, player models, weapon models etc.
and it does still run on Cube engine!

or is it not that simple?

Talking out of my arse, but it should take about 300-400 hours the least to fully port to a new engine, and that's not just coding - one should optimise assets for the new engine (ragdoll physics anybody?). Stef should be able to give a more accurate estimate, as he's probably more familiar with the cube 2 engine, than I am.
Thanks given by:
Moving AC to an engine without the cube 1 map limitations would end the game as it is. Not interested.

go ahead: name one sauer ctf map with good gameplay - that could not exist within AC...
Thanks given by:
(12 Aug 14, 06:47PM)stef Wrote: go ahead: name one sauer ctf map with good gameplay - that could not exist within AC...

reissen, because it would be blocked by map restrictions due to its height and potentially also how open it is.
I know you only asked for one but forge is another good example because it's completely symmetrical, but since it has three levels it wouldn't be compatible. exact same could be said for redemption.

The only map I can think of that might be possible with the current engine limitations is forgotten, and even then you'd have to cut out the bottom tunnel which would make the map rather boring.
Thanks given by:
(12 Aug 14, 07:19PM)Vanquish Wrote: The only map I can think of that might be possible with the current engine limitations is forgotten, and even then you'd have to cut out the bottom tunnel which would make the map rather boring.

eh

shine also has a tunnel thingy, and so does mines, and so does aqueous, and so do other mapz

if the height difference isnt too much it is possible, quite a few maps have quite a big height difference, big enough for a tunnel, e.g arid.
Thanks given by:
Could always rig the master server of AC2 to not allow unofficial maps. And be more liberal in adding high quality maps each release. Then no super-mega-twin-towers-camper
Thanks given by:
(12 Aug 14, 08:04PM)Marti Wrote: shine also has a tunnel thingy, and so does mines, and so does aqueous, and so do other mapz
if the height difference isnt too much it is possible, quite a few maps have quite a big height difference, big enough for a tunnel, e.g arid.

If on ac_mines we're thinking of the same thing (the akimbo area near middle) it's not the same type of "tunnel" since nothing is above that space in the map. And the "tunnel" in shine is mostly the same except it makes use of one platform as a mapmodel. My point with forgotten is that in order to make a proper "tunnel" you'd have to use about twenty "platform" mapmodels, which would look ugly, conflict with the original textures, and kill FPS. So while I guess it would be possible, it probably wouldn't be the best idea in the current state of engine optimization.
Thanks given by:
TeamateHAZE was the best with those things, and my computer didn't tell me thanks when I was playing ac_magic-school in CTF.

I know ac_plop6 (or ac_snail?) by Brett is made with a lot of stages, also, a few more maps have stages but none of those are "high quality" maps, however, I don't think it is impossible to introduce a 2 stage room (splited with like 6 or a few more platforms) in a good map, but mappers always took the more lag-free way and they dealt with it.

About Vanquish statement and the conflicted textures on platforms, the easiest way to fix it would be textured clips, it lags less than a mapmodel and allow to create what you want without creating a whole mapmodel for each forms. IIRC, Lucas (and not only him) worked on it and he said it wasn't that hard to add.

I really wonder how the 6 directional heightfield in octree would "destroy" the cube 1 engine because it's just path to take if we want to be closer to cube 2.
Thanks given by: