[Article] Designing Better Levels Through Human Survival Instincts
This is a medium length article about how human survival instincts relate to architecture and game level design. For those mappers out there, this might be an interesting read. I plan on going through some popular AC maps and see how some of these concepts relate. I may even make an AC map with these concepts specifically in mind.

Designing Better Levels Through Human Survival Instincts

My question to the mappers is, has this affected any of your mapping in the past?
Thanks given by:
Well, most of the mentioned things are pretty much intuitive, just like Maslow's Pyramid itself, and every human is following such shemes rather than going into the opposite direction naturally.

Sure, it's always worth trying to grasp the actual ongoings behind the scene, so to speak, though I trouble to get something conrete out of this when it comes to multiplayer FPS maps to be honest. I'd say it's more applicable along single player or co-op type of games.

So, has this affected my mapping in the past? Sure it has, even if I'm quite certain it never has been real concious and most likely sort of derived from other, more high-level requirements which adress actual gameplay.

Nonetheless, thanks for sharing and I'd like to see your map!
Thanks given by:
Funny thing, I just read that a few days earlier, and I was thinking of implementing some of it in a map soon. The "Prospect and Refuge" paragraph is applicable to camper maps without much problems.
Thanks given by:
(15 Jul 14, 04:57PM)RKTnoob Wrote: The "Prospect and Refuge" paragraph is applicable to camper maps without much problems.

It was what I was thinking about at first, but then, as Floppy said, I think it's more for single-player maps.
Thanks given by: