Mappers Interviews: MPx
This time I interviewed up and coming mapper, MPx. A mapper who has never entered a contest or has an official map. However, he has put out quality work, such as ac_calles. Lets jump right into his interview.

*Note, the nature of this interview is different because of being conducted via private messages and not IRC dialogue.

Quote:1. Alright, lets jump right in. I will start off with a simple question. Just who are you in this community and how are you doing today?

I'm a player who plays(sic) since 2008 I stopped playing on 2010 to 2012 for personal stuffs, but I never stopped making maps. mpx_dust is one of the maps that I made during that period. I'm not very skillful but it's ok. I'm not trying to be one of them. just having fun.

I'm fine, thanks (that was the second question? :P)

2. As a new mapper, is there anyone you look up to for inspiration? If so, why them?

Well, I don't have inspiration on a particular mapper. Sometimes I get inspiration of some random map, right in the middle of some game. When I start making a map I try to leave my mark, you know. I want to offer a new style map (if is that possible here), I don't want to share a map that looks like the rest, it would be more of the same and I don't want that because is boring. I want to share a map where players feel good on it and, basically, have a good game. But I'm still trying.

3. What is your favorite official map, and why?

It's ac_power, because it is good for ctf, and ctf is one of my favorite game mode. I like the dynamic in there.

4. If you could, for one day, work with any mapper you wished, old or new, who would it be and why?

I'm open to work with everybody. It doesn't matter if is a new or old mapper. if is new, I could share some tips, if is old, I could learn. because I'm still new on this. I remember working with some random players on ac_ciudad and there's was a player who wanted to learn all this thing about mapping, but I couldn't help him because I'm a newbie mapper. I gave some hints like keep your wdq low to 3000 and don't use floor textures on walls or/and ceiling. stuffs like that. Now that I know more, I could give more. If they ask me, of course.

5. Where do you draw ideas for your maps?

On paper, basically. It's a sketch so I can have a visual idea and then improve it on the AC editor. It's only the layout but some of them have more information like crates, mapmodels, team bases, etc.

But I have to say, that sometimes the thematic of the map change radically. When I was making ac_averno. I was making ac_gladiatore2 actually but then, in the middle of the work, something click on my brain I changed the thematic. It happened the same on "mpx_desierto_v1.3". That map is used to be an urban, not a desert map. Sometimes you can have an idea for your map, but while are you editing, your map can be different that you had on mind.

6. How do you feel about the mapping restrictions?

Well, I think is not working on 100% and should be improved on future versions of the game. I think "those" maps are a disrespect for mappers who spend a lot of time and effort to bring a decent map, not the best, there's no best map, just a decent map to the community. But I think that is something that we have to face because it happens on every on-line videogame. Who have a map editor of course. It happens on commercial videogames like Counter Strike. On CS there's a lot of those crap maps and a few good ones. But reading some thread/post on the forum, many players complain about it but the devs did it for one reason.

7. If you could remove any official map, which would it be and why?

ac_cavern, because the map looks the same thing on every location and that makes players get lost or confuse where they are standing and where they must to go. maybe is good for Deathmatch but is the only one.

8. If you could add any map to the official package, which would it be and why?

ac_casa and ac_casa2 it works perfectly on almost all modes. maybe whit some modification would work better. as ac_power the gameplay is fluid and there's not too many sticky places. You don't have to worry about losing the flag because you get stuck on some crate or whatever.

9. To date, what do you think your best map has been? Why that map over others?

I tend to release maps that seems to be good. But sometimes, I feel that I can make some changes. I mean radical changes. for example: mpx_sabatella it looks so simple and symmetrical. But there's others that It feels OK. like ac_averno or mpx_suburbio (btw, not available on Akimbo this last one.) and there's others that I don't know why a made them, like mpx_parque. it sucks. whatever, I think my best map is mpx_suburbio. I like the layout and I think the gameplay would be good. (I didn't test it on game, I don't do that.)

10. Do you think you could improve on this map if you had another shot at it?

I'm fixing one my old maps. mpx_logistica_v2 (not available, not even on Akimbo) the problem on that map is the wdq, it was too high!. I don't remember if that map has a cfg file. So when I place a new one for the current version of AC, the textures messed up. It gonna take a while. Also I'm crating some crates, walls, etc.

11. If there is another, do you plan on taking part in a future mapping contest? Explain why you would or wouldn't.

Of course. I consider myself as a begginer/advanced mapper. The feedback is better on those threads, than when you post a thread, sharing your map on the forums. I'm trying to make a cool map, If you have good games on my noobish/decent maps, I will be grateful. Stop playing on those lame maps. dammit! :P you know which ones.

12. What do you feel the theme should of a future mapping contest should be and why?

All themes. I just hope not a snow theme. :$. I hate snow. That is why you will never see me sharing a snow map. :P but I'm OK with the rest. But thinking about it, AC have a lot of desert maps. maybe an urban, industrial. or forest, haha I want to see mappers trying a non-laggy forest map :P

13. Have you ever coop'ed with anyone? If so who? How do you feel about coop as oppose to single person mapping?

I did. I worked with xReActiiv3 on mpx_desierto. A map from 2009 I guess. I gave him full right to change and make what he want, but he was a normal player, not even a newbie mapper. He didn't want to "screw" my map and ask me for feedback all the time XD. "this is ok, mpx?" "sure, man" but It was cool. I didn't have good response on ac_ciudad because some players get in the server just to bug or on ac_fabrica, theres was some player that wanted make some kind of gema map. no way!. so I decided to make maps offline. I can get pissed off easily. lol But I think would be different now. whit the /mastermode thing.

14. Last few questions, you planning on any releases soon? If so, care to drop some hints as to what?

I have some unfinished maps. two of them are 85% maybe 90. I'm experimentig whit the /ambient command right now. I'm not fan of broken walls, ceiling, floor. I think the important thing is the gameplay. The person who want to start on mapping must read the docs to know how the game engine really works and what the devs wants. It's all on the docs. crap maps are popular for sure, but if you want some respect as a mapper you should study official maps or some custom maps. How they looks, how they are done. The used texture, mapmodels, amount of light entities. etc. But don't forget to gameplay. I'm not saying, spend 2 months making a map, no way. I remember back in 2010 playing some "crap" maps whit Brahma. I had a lot of good game. Is not about how the map looks.

15. In closing, is that anything else you would like to add? How was this interview for you?

Yeah, Jiba. upload the data for ac_victorian1.1 I like that map. took me to, what I consider, the golden days of ac. I'm not saying that the present sucks, no. but...idk.

Cool.

As I said last week, there will be no preview for the next interview, as it has yet to be done. I will not be posting an interview for a few weeks because I will be conducting them. I will be taking what feedback I have gotten and using it for the next group of people. In the mean time, I must ask you to fill out a small survey if you will. Anyone can take part in this.

1. What was your favorite interview and why?
2. What did you personally think of the interviews and the interview process?
3. What mapper would you best like to see in the feature?
4. What was your less favorite thing about the interviews?
5. What was your favorite thing?

I have the mappers picked out already for the next group, so I will give a small spoiler on that, but no names. There are 3 new mappers, meaning no contest wins or official maps. There are 4 multi-time official mappers that together make up a grand total of 13 maps. I have a few surprises in store for the next group and I think you guys will enjoy it. Thank you to MPx, all the other people I interviewed, and to you, the reader. Hope you guys enjoy this interview and the next ones I do as well.
Thanks given by: