About AC development (part 2)...
The answers to the first set of questions (in thread part 1) said almost unanimously, that the most liked feature of the game is the "fast paced, simple gameplay". To further investigate that, I would like to hear your thoughts on the following change of gameplay in particular:

After respawning, a player is at a disadvantage if he's encountered by a player who already had opportunity to gather pickups. IMHO a good measuring point for this, is the number of pickups, that a player has to gather, to reach full "duel strength", that is the maximum capability for a duel, during which no further pickups can be gathered. So, I define "full duel strength" as the player state with as many nades as possible and as much armour as is usable without further health pickups.

Back in 1.0, a player could carry two nades (which he could get by one single pickup) and up to 100 armour points - but any armour above 42 points would be useless, unless the player would pick up more health after being shot at. Since 1.1, a player can carry three nades, which have to be gathered by finding three pickups, and also 100 armour points - which unlike in 1.0, is stronger with higher values, which means, that for full strength, a player has to have 100 armour points. To gather 100 armour points, a player has to at least pick up two kevlar vests or up to four helmets - depending, on what the map provides.

So, in 1.0, a player could reach full duel strength with only two pickups (1 nade pair and 1 kevlar) or even just one on a map without armour (classic ac_depot, for example). In 1.2, a player has to find and get between five and seven pickups (3 nades and either 2 kevlars or 4 helmets).

Also, the difference of "damage leading to death" between a fresh spawned player (just 100 health damage points) and full duel strength (in 1.0: 142 damage points - in 1.2: 169 damage points for a single nade-inflicted damage, other weapons need different amounts of damage), is significantly greater now.

This means, that in 1.2, a player who had time to pick up all necessary items is now 16% more damage resistant than in 1.0. And in 1.2, a player has to pick up much more items than in 1.0 to get the maximum advantage.

IMHO this change has a significant impact on the "fast paced" aspect of the gameplay. In 1.0 you could immediately run towards the enemy base, since you could alwas hope to pick up one nade-pair and maybe an armour - and if you didn't get the armour, the disadvantage wasn't that big. In 1.2, you have to find at least five items - or you will be at a serious disadvantage when encountering a fully stocked player. This means, instead of immediately engaging in battle after respawning, you first have to go item-surfing (I usually call this pacman-style gameplay) to even be able to go after the enemy.

Another issue is the way, that helmets are used on official maps. They are basically littered with helmets, especially around the bases and the borders of the maps (mainly places, where you can avoid running into enemies). This encourages to linger around in your base after respawning, and to play pacman until you at least reach 50..75 armour points. Not exactly the "fast paced" gameplay, that we all love...

so, question 1: what do you think about that? did AC lose some of it's speed due to those changes? should nade pickups be in pairs again, should nade carry capability be "2" again, should armour be single-strength again?

2. do you take the time after respawn to fill up nades and armour?

3. what do you think about the frag reduction of nade kills from "2" in 1.0 to "1" now?

4. are helmets of any use or are they just pacman fodder?

5. what do you think about trickjumping?

6. what's your favourite weapon? did you consider the nade to be a possible primary weapon in 1.0?

7. do you use cubescript to customise your client? do you write the scripts yourself, or do you get them from someone else?

8. should servers provide a diversity of maps and modes - or do you prefer single-mode servers?

9. what do you think about gema servers and servers running camper 24/7?

10. a more technical question: would you care, if servers could only be hosted on linux machines?

EDIT: I clarified a bit, that "what do you think about that?" in question 1 is about the text above
Thanks given by:
1: what do you think about that? did AC lose some of it's speed due to those changes? should nade pickups be in pairs again, should nade carry capability be "2" again, should armour be single-strength again?
A: I think, that AC gameplay lost some dynamism because of those changes. So: nades - difficult to say; armour - I prefer solution from v. 1.0 .

A: Nades - rather yes, especially then, when they are close. Armour - I usually ignore kevlar and helmets, even if they are close.

3. what do you think about the frag reduction of nade kills from "2" in 1.0 to "1" now?
A: I really don't like this reduction.

A: Rather pacman fodder :)

A: I would like to remove it - IMO that is unfair, not everyone can use that (for example me).

6. what's your favourite weapon? did you consider the nade to be a possible primary weapon in 1.0?
A: Sniper rifle. No, I didn't.

7. do you use cubescript to customise your client? do you write the scripts yourself, or do you get them from someone else?
A: Yes. I wrote them mainly myself.

8. should servers provide a diversity of maps and modes - or do you prefer single-mode servers?
A: Diversity of maps, rather not diversity of modes.

A: In 1.2 there is bug (fixed already in developer version), which caused, that servers with unofficial maps aren't on the bottom of serverlist - it helps to popularize crappy maps/"modes". Generally visibility of such servers should be somehow decreased, maybe bans in more extreme situations.

10. a more technical question: would you care, if servers could only be hosted on linux machines?
A: Rather no.

Edit: I supplemented the answer to 1st question.
Thanks given by:
1: should nade pickups be in pairs again, should nade carry capability be "2" again, should armour be single-strength again?
a) No, better the way it is atm because it discourages nadespam.
b) I don't think that's a terrible idea.
c) No, controlling armour should be something tactical you need to do in order to win duels. No need to make it any stronger than it is but certainly don't make it weaker - it's not a problem.

In DM it depends, because I usually time the armour spawns so I try to figure out if it's worth attempting to go for a certain pickup or not. In CTF I don't time armour, I just pick it if it's there. In 1.1 when wins on frags were viable, if we were tied and wanted to just fragwhore the win, I would time the first piece of armour I took and cycle around the rest in a pattern on the map.

A good thing, because it discourages spam. Nades can be used quite well tactically to cut off a player's access to certain areas of the map or as cover, but it isn't worthy of getting an extra frag - especially as people will feel more inclined to brainlessly spam into an enemy base. It would also get rid of the incentive to knife people in LSS duels, which is a bad thing.

They were of no use in 1.1 unless you were playing opponents that were using smg (picking up one helmet after a respawn protected against an extra smg bullet). I haven't played enough of 1.2 to notice whether or not they make a difference in direct engagements in CTF games. They unquestionably make a difference in duels, particularly as most duel maps (pretty much everything except arid, iirc) only have one kevlar and collecting helmets to accumulate stack can be a good way of mitigating the advantageous armour stack your enemy has before one of you forces an engagement.

It's just another mechanical skill available to use in AC. Any form of macro or bind that assists your ability to trickjump should be removed, but there's no need to remove it wholly from the game - just like any other aspect of skill, it can be learnt.

My favourite weapon is smg, due to the power. I only started playing in 1.1 but I don't understand how anyone could possibly consider (or indeed, could have ever considered) a grenade to be their primary weapon.

I wrote some and tested a few other people's scripts when I first heard about what they were, but I haven't used any type of script in AC for about a year, and I've never used macros. With the exception of the 2012 and 2013 ACWC clients, my client has always been default (EDIT: That's actually not true, I tested the SKB client for about a week or two in 1.1).

An individual server should try to stick to the same mode, but just offer a wider variety of (decent, not shitty filler) maps, as grenadier said. I don't think a maprot that plays CTF shine for one game and then OSOK douze the next would be very popular with anybody.

I never understood the problem everybody had with gemas. Some of them were artistically creative (gema5-by-blub pls) whilst still adhering to map restrictions, and completing a gema requires more skill than most would think. Conversely, I personally have never liked camper maps, and don't understand how people enjoy them. But you shouldn't remove things that people enjoy just because you dislike them and then have difficulty understanding why a substantial portion of AC's playerbase has gone.

No. I've always used Windows for my personal computing needs, and yet I had no difficulties understanding how to compile servers for Linux. There are tutorials all over the internet for those that are determined to learn, and removing the server wizard would deter amateur players from wanting to set up their own laggy home server as a novelty rather than as a contribution to the gameplay of AssaultCube, which is what servers should be.
Thanks given by:
1: what do you think about that? should nade pickups be in pairs again, should nade carry capability be "2" again, should armour be single-strength again?
Nades should be single and the player could carry only 2. About the armour: yes, please.

I pick up nades if they are close. Armour, sometimes.

It would be great if they could count 2 frags on CTF, but just 1 on LSS. Idk

pacman

I tried, did it just once. I don't know. I think if there are players who find it useful, then obviously they will use it. In my case, it's not something that lose my sleep.

Shotgun, but on this version, I have been pushed to use the sniper + pistol. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy it. But, you know, the blast is untouchable. XD
No. but there's something on another thread; throwin knives would be something interesting. [note: you can pick it up again from the corpse, if you killed of course. but if you didn't... ayaya yay!] lol sorry

Yes I do. No, I can't even code the "hello world" script. All the script I use, I got them from Akimbo.

I think, servers owner should provide a decent server whit info of who is the owner, admins, contact that kind of things. If they want to create a single-mode server or a diverse server. Like "all modes on all official mps" or "non-crappy custom maps" is OK for me.

I will not say that I never made a crappy map. sh+t no. Off course I did, but that map is a lack of respect to mappers that spend hours [sometime days and weeks] to bring a new map to the community. For exampĺe: ac_tripoli, is laggy, yeah but who cares. The gameplay on that map is really good. camper is laggy, use those glitches walls, you spawn and could be headshooted by the enemy just like this. or you could be killed without realizing where the heck the enemy fire is comming. Once you are death, you remember there's a invisible wall on the base, don't forget the ridiculous amount of pick ups items around the map. I don't understand why is so popular.

10. a more technical question: would you care, if servers could only be hosted on linux machines
no.
Thanks given by:
1: what do you think about that? should nade pickups be in pairs again, should nade carry capability be "2" again, should armour be single-strength again?

The nades were different in the past, you could only carry two nades, but the nade spawn pickup timing was 5 instead of 8 seconds, and two grenades instead of a single one. The nades are better than in 1.0, I remember back in the day, spamming nades as hell and abusing of it on ac_depot like if it was an exploit. The huge amount of nade was allowing to an average player, not very smart and skilled to contains good players on some maps, just by trowing nades and provocating a lucky hit. Because the nade rate was nerfed a lot, devs compensated it with the ability to handle 3 nades on you, 4 if you hold one in your hand and start to trow it when you walk on another nade pickup. But because of the slower spawn rate of nades, this is not a significant issue, or at least, if there is something to fix, it's on the mapping side, a few maps should be edited (I'm thinking about ac_arid and a few official maps filled with nade pickups) but not the whole nade system. The armor seems to be good, the only negative point is that you can't die if you are at 100/100 with a perfect grenade, but it's a detail.

It all depends of a lot of factors. If I am in match/inter, I will take the most adapted decision, if I must cover my mate who comes back with the enemy flag, i'll not take a single pickup, or maybe a grenade because I know the map well enough to know when and where the opponent(s) will cut the flagger line exactly. If not, mostly in public games I try to take all rare and semi-rare pickups (helmets/kevlars/akimbo) even if I don't need them because all I have, opponents don't. A lot of helmets/grenades are on the path, I think we can conclude they are not well placed, but sometimes, mappers don't have the choice.

I was a strong nade player in 1.0 and the frag reduction kinda reduced my scores at start, but now I'm used to and I thing it was a good change because the gib is not something that requieres a lot of skill or a lot of luck to obtein, so that it doesn't deserve 2 kills IMO.

On some maps, helmets are overpowered because if their number, it has been discussed a few times, I don't know if it was on this forum... I think we conclued a lot of maps were not providing enough helmets to constitute something solid enough because it was countering especially SMG's and carabines in 1.1, and it was kinda rare weapons, almost inexistant. It's all about maps and helmet's placement.

It's a glitch exploit and it should be "fixed".

I'd say the weapon I enjoy the most is the Carabine, but you need a really good accuracy, plus it's most of the time not enough to have a decent score or to score flags. This weapon is almost rewardless in most of the situations because it's not as polyvalent as the sniper or the smg.

The only script I'm using is a one line script that corrects my gamma because of an unknow bug that set my gamma to 100, even if it's at 180 or whatever in AC settings. I shared this script and it was very helpfull to a lot of people that apparently had the same issue than me.

There are different types of servers, I remember Brett's server with only fun/small maps and a maxclient set to 7 for FFA modes only. Ladder maps should only provide maps known by the community, not especially official ones, but decent map enough to be played in a ladder (and this is the case). But I prefer, as a lot of people, CTF, and maybe HTF/KTF, but those two last modes are not very funny in public games because this often conclude in a total mess, people who should hold/hunt the flag don't even know the basic rules of the mode, they just kill opponents and if they see enemy's flag on the ground, they run on it and reset it just because they don't know a teammate must hold his own team's flag. It's also funny to see people running everywhere with a yellow flag, in a total panic because of the music.

As long as they show it in the server name, it's ok.

Isn't it already the case for most of the servers? I think it would be bad because there are a lot of small servers hosted on computers players are playing on, and a lot of them have windows. I know there are enough servers ATM, but having a temporary small private servers for a coop cession has no price.
Thanks given by:
1: should nade pickups be in pairs again, should nade carry capability be "2" again, should armour be single-strength again?

-Yes, nades were nerfed but nade spam was not curbed.
-AFAIK, you can randomly get 2 nades?
-Nah Armour is fine.

-I generally go 2 nades, and 100/50

-Rediculous. Again, it doesn't stop nade spam, but discourages the use of nades. It was the risk of killing a team mate for that sweet sweet rewad of 2 kills.

-I like 'em. Mapper may not use them efficiently but they work well as a game dynamic.

-Can't do it but I don't mine people using it. It is a feature.

-Favourite? probably the sniper rifle, or AR. SR.
-Nades were a primary weapon, they were amazing!

-I tried writing them, never made anything useful. Currently I do not use any scripts.

-Depends what mood I personally am in, I cannot really comment here.

-People like them. Let them Gema.

-If they were maybe people would learn to use Linux and there would be less "homemade" servers.
Thanks given by:
Should nade pickups be in pairs again, should nade carry capability be "2" again, should armour be single-strength again?
I believe that the nades are perfect now, I personally wasn't a fan of the nades in the older versions. On the other hand I definitely think the armor should go back to single strength.

Do you take the time after respawn to fill up nades and armour?
In a typical game I will definitely try to get nades and armor if possible but won't spend too much extra time if they aren't there.

What do you think about the frag reduction of nade kills from "2" in 1.0 to "1" now?
I'm happy with this, it probably has made lss better

Are helmets of any use or are they just pacman fodder?
If it were up to me i would get rid of helmets. I would also get rid of all armor in depot.

What do you think about trickjumping?
I think of it has a bug that needs to be fixed

What's your favourite weapon? did you consider the nade to be a possible primary weapon in 1.0?
Favorite weapon is sniper, i was terrible at nades in 1.0

Do you use cubescript to customise your client? do you write the scripts yourself, or do you get them from someone else?
I don't use scripts

Should servers provide a diversity of maps and modes - or do you prefer single-mode servers?
Diversity of maps is important, more than diversity of modes. I'm happy with single-mode servers but not single-map servers

What do you think about gema servers and servers running camper 24/7?
I don't see gema servers as a major issue but maps like camper hurt the game

Would you care if servers could only be hosted on linux machines?
I would have no issues at all
Thanks given by:
from anonymous:

1. & 2. I never understood what the purpose of having helmet was, even if was half the amount of defense than kevlar, it was spread around maps on a higher number (depending on map size, I assume?), and cut the chance of making armor something to have control over the enemy team. Also by the armor becoming stronger against damage it slowed the speed on taking opponents off hence slowing the game as well, add to that every weapon reacted different as to the amount of bullets to wear off a full armored kevlar (100), favoring AR over the rest as I recall.

I remember the 2 nades were okay, except for the respawn was fast enough for people to camp at, plus the x2 frag was an incentive for ratio whores to use them. Current nades looks better imo, they take longer now to respawn if I'm not wrong, no double frag, no double instant killing chance, makes you choose more carefully to how play that card, however, its less noticeable with stacked armor, you can even survive a direct hit, making mandatory to stack grenades, hence, wasting some time.

That being said, seems logical to slightly reduce the effect on kevlar and remove helmets, you get the fast pace on both farming pick ups - killing time. It becomes harder to stack kevlar and becomes only useful for those that make a purpose of it (attacking enemy base/ defending own base), instead of everyone becoming a tank, giving no edge to anyone unless your team has drowned the opponent at their own base, giving no chance to collect pick ups.

3. I think as for nades, seems reasonable, in case of SRx2 frag kill, I understand why some would be annoyed or pissed at the single frag change, it was somewhat a "reward" for having the skill/luck to spot the opponent's head. And could throw to the roofs the kdr of any quality SR user.

4. Just camper's fodder imo.

5. I think gema's players may be more aware than most of competitive players. It has some use, but it could be better if more maps were worked around this, I certainly use jumping for climbing or skipping parts of a maps such as ac_power, werk and elevation sometimes. Trick Jumping may be more known if game wasn't so centered on the typical maps/modes that many servers hosts use to drag people in.

Introducing players with custom maps that are acknowledged by community to be played with the trickjumping feature could be an initiative to show some of that potential. This leads me to other topic, that is promoting new content or anything related to AC on the home page, it shows there's life revolving the game and that Devs promote emerging content both from them and community. As for using any other social media, such as fb or yt, it's okay as far as it get properly updated.

6. SMG most of the time, when I cared to play competitively it was my main weapon for mostly everything, then SR, but after the head hitbox reduction, it became a fact that I was sloppy and just a casual to be even considered a competent player with it.

7. Used to, for skipping grenade when scrolling between weapons, probably a few more but nothing special. Got them from the scripting threads.

8. It should provide variety and master server should distribute the server by the type of game you choose, coop map list, private matches list, public game list, empty server list and a possible modded server list, hell, I don't know, even a blacklisted server list for everyone to get his piece of cake, with a disclosure telling why it was removed and the option to enter at your own risk.

9. They seem more populated and notorious because there's no proportional amount of decent servers running nowadays, reason why, I assume, people care less to even try to get in a public match, I remember last time I played there wasn't a public game that wasn't some ac_camper, just played a bit because that certainly would be one of the few times I'd come back.
Thanks given by:
1: what do you think about that? did AC lose some of it's speed due to those changes? should nade pickups be in pairs again, should nade carry capability be "2" again, should armour be single-strength again?
(i am not pro) I don't have problems with these changes. It is player's decision (strategy) to do pacman or rush. For speed of the game i would low max armor value. For example 1 armor +40 and helmet +20, so max 60 armor. The nades are OK.

No, i am rush mind.

2 frags for knife kill, for headshot and for nade kill.

pacman but no hate against greedy people

no strange dancers in game

sniper, nades shouldnt be primary weapons

scripts should be used for administration or communication or mapping ...

i dont have problem with single mode/map servers for 24/7. It is better to keep people on their servers than fight with them in voting after end of each round. They can convert good maprot to 24/7 tosok douze.

official maps should be at the top of server list, custom maps at the bottom.

this question is windows racism :)
Thanks given by:
1. did AC lose some of it's speed due to those changes? should nade pickups be in pairs again, should nade carry capability be "2" again, should armour be single-strength again?

-I don't think AC lost his speed
- If nades give 2kills again, nades should be in pairs but if we let nades with 1 kill it's useless to have 2 nades. Actually nades, are not worth in the logic of cost/ efficient.

Depends of the map. For example on ac_shine. When u're blue side, you have armour at your right. If you take it you have an advantage on duels but it gives you a disadvantage in term of positioning cause your ennemy have times to go on the health pack next to you and will be able to beat you in duel.
You have a bigger advantage if you have a better positioning.
If there is no danger when you spawn, i take armour but i'll not lose times for nades.

It changed the gameplay. Most of 1.0 players are still using nades and new players aren't using it.
In addition, TDM was a competitive mode in 1.0, so nades were an important objective between teams.
Now, the only mode played is CTF. Kills are overrated.

Don't know, but it's always worth having a helmet during duels.

I'll quote what vanquish said because he said everything about that.

"It's just another mechanical skill available to use in AC. Any form of macro or bind that assists your ability to trickjump should be removed, but there's no need to remove it wholly from the game - just like any other aspect of skill, it can be learnt"

I play SMG since 1.0. Nades were clearly a primary weapon in 1.0. When you use a nade it's all or nothing because you're vulnerable in duels and you need to predict ennemy's movement.

I don't use anything.

Diversity is important cause the main mode is CTF. Players need to learn a bit about TDM or TKTF/ HTF wich are greatest mode in tournament because you need a huge teamwork.
In addition, players shouldn't be able to vote non official maps in my opinion.

I love GEMA servers. You need skills to be able to reach the flag. It's a different aspect of AC and it's fun . I hope there'll be a gema competition.
Camper 24/7 is completly bullshit, remove it.

idc
Thanks given by:

- I don't find the game pace to suffer greatly because of the changes. It is still extremely fast paced. I personally like nades how they are now, a single nade makes map awareness a little more interesting and adds to the general gameplay. Armour as it is.. that's a tough call, I am going to say I like it even if it does have draw backs like people waiting around a bit. I don't see it as a major problem because mostly people just have a system where they can acquire at least some armor on the way to attack or when falling back. If you master the timing of armor you end up with a lot of it most of the time.

Nades no, I usually bump into enough of them along the way. With armor I try to have at the very least 50 before heading actually into the enemy base - there are times I must sacrifice this preference but for the most part I can still engage the middle of the map and be of help while accumulating my desired amounts of armour

Absolutely necessary. It severely cut the usage of nades, which is bad, but the alternative was being highly rewarded for spamming nades into an enemy spawn.

I view helmets as armor repair kits, they seem to litter most maps so they are an easy away to get your armour back up while retreating or maneuvering somewhere else.

I do think it has a place in the game. I'm by no means an expert at it, but there are some maneuvers I can pull off on certain maps which to me have high strategic value.

No.

I prefer diversity, but I think it should be up to the server owner.

I hate them and I think they are pointless, but they are active so even if they seem to cater to a subcatagory of AC players I think they should stay. I do think they should be treated as separate entities from the core game though.

Personally it wouldn't bother me, but I do think it is unfair for those who do not have that ability.
Thanks given by:

I don't really care

yes if it is LSS

I didn't play 1.0

Meh i don't really care lol

Who cares if they can do it, if it's a feature people like, then let it stay!

Probably the AR. didn't play 1.0

Not really.

Yes, but I don't care if they don't. Servers should not be banned just because they run a map 24/7. You don't see servers getting banned for that reason on other games.
I think they should be left alone, they have players, so why not keep them. If you got rid of these servers and maps, AC would have less players.
Yes and no. It would be unfair for the people running Windows or OS X, but most servers (including mine) run on Linux.
Thanks given by:
Q: what do you think about that? did AC lose some of it's speed due to those changes? should nade pickups be in pairs again, should nade carry capability be "2" again, should armour be single-strength again?

A: Yes, it definitly took out some speed, though added quite a tactical aspect in my opinion. After all, a fully stacked up kevlar does compensate for slower reaction and less accurate aim, which made the game a lot more enjoyable for me. Only picking up one nade at a time is fine with me, since it brought down the insane nade-spamming, which was a real pain at some point. From a mapper's point of view I considered helmets to be sort of a motivation to get players on certain routes on the map, which might be ignored otherwise. However, I have no evidence whether this does work or not, to be honest.

Q: do you take the time after respawn to fill up nades and armour?

A: Pretty much always trying to maintain 100 kevlar, while one nade at a time is enough usually. In fact, eventually I've adapted a slightly more defensive playing style and often are rather falling back for refreshing health and kevlar, than rushing into the enemy base straight from the spawn.

Q: what do you think about the frag reduction of nade kills from "2" in 1.0 to "1" now?

A: Don't care too much actually and I wouldn't mind if any kill is considered one frag on the score board.

Q: are helmets of any use or are they just pacman fodder?

A: Grabbing one helmet alone doesn't make much of a difference indeed, but I can't really agree on that pacman agrument. I regard pickups as vital part of the game and just like rushing for health and ammo, helmets allow you to keep kevlar protection in place.

Q: what do you think about trickjumping?

A: I've been appriciating the edge-jump feature from day one and I wouldn't even remove that jump-crouch-jump "exploit", if it could only be performed by actual action rather than scripts/macros.

Q: what's your favourite weapon? did you consider the nade to be a possible primary weapon in 1.0?

A: I'm changing through all weapons according to the map, mode, personal mood and depending on my opponent's weapon choice. When things are getting tough, I'll always fall back to SMG, but I love to use the carbine, even though the rate of fire is a little to low, in my opinion.
I can't tell which version it was, though at some point there used to be individuals that indeed gained more kills with nades, than any other weapon. These players actually did not spam, but master the timing and bounce behavior. I even believe that there was quite an uproar, when the latter was changed.

Q: do you use cubescript to customise your client? do you write the scripts yourself, or do you get them from someone else?

A: Used to have a whole lot of more or less usefull scripts in place, while most of them were aimed at supporting map editing and had no use while actually plaing. The only game relevant script I kept is a primary/secondary if-statement bound to a key.

Q: should servers provide a diversity of maps and modes - or do you prefer single-mode servers?

A: Completely strict single-mode will become boring rather quickly, I guess. Though, changing from a 6vs6 CTF to any FFA mode is not quite a smart map rotation entry. Well, I always enjoyed servers, which changed through all those flag-modes available. So, I'd prefer something like mode-group servers, like flag-servers, t/osok-servers and so on.

Q: what do you think about gema servers and servers running camper 24/7?

A: I'll probably never understand, why anyone would play "gema" online and even dedicated servers are needed. After all, there is zero teamplay and other people are more likely to get in your way. Though, as long as such servers are obviously named as such, I can still avoid them easily.
Those camper maps, which exploit all kind of bugs, like one-way-walls are a general pain and have nothing to do with fair play, not to speak of fun. If those glitches were fixed, we wouldn't need to care about servers hosting them 24/7.

Q: a more technical question: would you care, if servers could only be hosted on linux machines?

A: Would definitly cut off a lot of Windows-only-noobs, like myself. However, if there are good reasons to do so, I'd go on and deal with it anyway.
Thanks given by:
so, question 1: what do you think about that? did AC lose some of it's speed due to those changes? should nade pickups be in pairs again, should nade carry capability be "2" again, should armour be single-strength again?
- I did not think of it in this way until you first mentioned it. The speed loss might be one of the factors that made me stop enjoying newer versions. As for nade pickups, I didn't really see a problem of "nade spamming" that the others talk about - it is quite easy to avoid nades IMO. Then again, I might be biased - I like to think of nades as my speciality. I would prefer them being 2 per pickup. Armour - yes, prefer 1.0 version armour to current version.

- Public games, I usually go towards nades and then towards enemy base, ignoring armour unless it is on the way. If it proves to be too difficult to even touch the enemy flag because of campers stocked up on armour, then I make it a point to fill up on armour - only if I am really pissed off at the enemy for being pricks, however.

- There are few things more beautiful in AC than a well placed nade. It deserves 2 frags.

- Some might say, if the helmet actually did it's job of acting like a helmet instead of half armour, it could be of some use. Right now, it is just a waste of time and encourages camping, especially with the way they are placed on most maps.

- I wasn't aware of these so-called "exploits" before. Edge-jumping seems harmless to me, and it might be useful as a game mechanic wherein, say, akimbo is kept in a hard to reach place. People rifle jump already - I don't see this as that much different than a rifle jump, except that now people using other weapons can do it too. I haven't played enough clan wars in newer versions to know if it makes a huge tactical difference. I guess, it would be useful in gema maps as well.

- Sniper Rifle, if I'm feeling accurate enough. I fall back to SMG otherwise. I would say that I used more nades than fired bullets from my sniper rifle in 1.0, so yes, it could be considered to be a primary weapon.

- No. I don't even have grenadier's demo script, which might be useful...

- If there were fewer servers, it would make sense to rotate maps and modes. To me, if I had only one server to connect to with a decent ping, I would like it to rotate modes. But given that today, each IP runs more than one server on different ports, single mode (with rotating maps)

- It is the server owner's right to decide what maps to run on their servers. But it harms the game to run these maps. It is definitely annoying to see 9/10 servers with players running those maps. I think, people who are disappointed that they don't have a single server to play regular maps on, should try joining an empty one. From my experience, it fills up quite quickly - because there are many others, waiting a non-empty server with regular maps.

- Personally, no, I don't care. But, I don't know how many people play AC at LAN parties, which typically are all-windows. And I don't know, how many people graduate from LAN parties to full online mode. It might kill the number of new people hearing about the game. But it would also kill the some amount of low end home servers that run today. It is a trade-off, but not sure if it is a decision that needs to be taken at this point. On a side note - server wizard should definitely be killed.
Thanks given by:

I think that pickup are fine actually even If I only tester 1.1 and 1.2 version.

If I know that they spawned I'll take them or If they are on my way yes.

I think that It would increase nade spam in public servers if nade give 2 frags.

Not sure If 1 helmets make you really stronger but if you can take 2 or even 3 it's a real advantage.

I use haxjump in gema not much in matchs since I if fail it makes me loose too much time. And rifle jumping is a particulatiry of AC so I love it :D

I use smg in 1.2 since it's the most powered weapon. Didn't play 1.0 but I doubt that nade could be a primary weapon lol.

Nop

As someone said It would be dumb to play ctf shine and then tosok ac_desert so yeah It would be better to have single-mode server.

I like gema It brings a different kind of gameplay, I really enjoy it. So iy's very pleasant to have server to play it when you want.
I dont care about camper 24/7 but since a lot of players play it I think It would be better to keep these servers.

Linux is the futur !
Thanks given by:
  • Did AC lose some of it's speed due to those changes? should nade pickups be in pairs again, should nade carry capability be "2" again, should armour be single-strength again?
    - Yes, but it's not the sole factor. A byproduct is that duels take longer, and sometimes movement through the map just feels slower. I prefer nade pickups the way they are. Armour just confuses me. I pick it up because I die slower when I have it. My opponents also die slower when they have it.
  • Do you take the time after respawn to fill up nades and armour?
    - No, unless run-and-gun is failing repeatedly, then I take a little more time.
  • What do you think about the frag reduction of nade kills from "2" in 1.0 to "1" now?
    - I'm happy. It should be followed up with reduction of headshots to 1 frag.
  • Are helmets of any use or are they just pacman fodder?
    - I believe they have a place, but that place is not two helmets for every kevlar vest on a map. They could be used much more sparingly, sometimes in place of a vest.
  • What do you think about trickjumping?
    - Rifle jumping is fine. Whilst adding a second, faster and higher jump after initial jump 'cancellation' seemed to be a good idea in practice, it is also too easily abused. Anything that can be keybound to emulate skill, but easily lied about, is bad.
  • What's your favourite weapon? did you consider the nade to be a possible primary weapon in 1.0?
    - SMG for general play, sniper for when I'm feeling lucky or 'on fire'. No to the nade question.
  • Do you use cubescript to customise your client? do you write the scripts yourself, or do you get them from someone else?
    - I do use some scripts. Some I wrote myself and some are from others.
  • Should servers provide a diversity of maps and modes - or do you prefer single-mode servers?
    - Diversity is great, but that diversity should be true to the style of AC's out-of-the-box gameplay. Having single mode servers is fine as long as the option for something else still exists on the other servers. Having single map/mode servers that absorb 90% of the players online is bad. AC shouldn't necessarily cater to what is popular.
  • What do you think about gema servers and servers running camper 24/7?
    - They have no place on the AC master server.
  • Would you care, if servers could only be hosted on linux machines?
    - No, but a Win/Mac LAN-only bin should be considered if this happened.
Thanks given by:
1} what do you think about that? should nade pickups be in pairs again, should nade carry capability be "2" again, should armour be single-strength again?

We should split up the game in 2 categories. One to be funny, and the other one to be more serious/restricted. Nowadays, it's a good point to avoid "abusive lucky respawn-nade", but I remember that LSS was very much played in AC 1.0, and many players created several maps dedicated to this mod. We don't see anymore this emancipation today.

2} do you take the time after respawn to fill up nades and armour?

It all depends if enemy is/are coming in base, if I have to push/defend, if I'm playing pubs or matches... We can't determinate it, but if it's necessary and if we have the proper condition to fill up nades and armour, we do it ofc.

3} what do you think about the frag reduction of nade kills from "2" in 1.0 to "1" now?

Same as the frag reduction of AC 0.93 to AC 1.0

4} are helmets of any use or are they just pacman fodder?

I prefer to compare it with snake game, because we can buff into 100/100 by getting all kevlars/helmets... we can still die Immediately if we got headshoted, if you got killed from back, or if your enemy got a full aim against you (you die like a snake who got smashed into the wall). We should create a item called "armour" which generate 75% of chance to have 50 armour for losing team/player, instead that winning team/player have 75% of chance to have 25 armour). It's just an idea that we can elaborate ofc. It will be easier for a mapper to place the pickups.

5} what do you think about trickjumping?

This trick must be know by casual players, as they can crouch. It seem also unfair to use a bind/script or any automated help...

6} what's your favourite weapon? did you consider the nade to be a possible primary weapon in 1.0?

No for nade as primary weapon, as we dont have smoke-nade, flash-nade too...
My favourite weapon? It all depends on what map and what position I'll play.
The question should be, Which weapon do you use least? And I answer you carabine.

7} do you use cubescript to customise your client? do you write the scripts yourself, or do you get them from someone else?

I never used a script, that's why it seem (I feel) unfair against someone who use well a lot of them. Or we need include official scripts that we can enable/disable for casual players. They could be interested and edit themselves from AC files, to learn scripting maybe.

8} should servers provide a diversity of maps and modes - or do you prefer single-mode servers?

We should update the server menu, to display Official servers / Gema servers / Camper servers / And even Modded servers (If it can avoid to BL/report speedhacker from official servers, it's a solution to chill out their desire to have more HP/fly... idk their real envy). Like the zombie server of X Ray Dog is cool.

9} what do you think about gema servers and servers running camper 24/7?

The variety/diversity is the key of AC, to feel free playing this game. I don't like this mod, it's not a reason to ban them. We need just separate Official servers (who run official mod/maps) with Non-official servers, as I said previously. The interface need to be updated for a easier use.

10} a more technical question: would you care, if servers could only be hosted on linux machines?

Aww, it's better to be hosted on both machines (linux/windows) rather only one. Personally, I host my local server from windows, and my VPS from linux.
Thanks given by:

I like how it is now! I dont think much "speed" was lost.

I take routes on which I find as much as possible.

I think it's ok, it gives a headshot or slash something even more rewarding as those are much harder to get than a nade gib.

I think helmets are of a use, especially if you find more than one. They also make the kevlar a little less powerfull.

do you mean haxjumping? I love crouch and edge jumping.
I cant do haxjumps but I dont mind if anyone uses them, its something you can learn and requires skill!

I play with the smg atm. I never considered the nade as a possible primary, nades are something tactical for me.

I didnt have a script for ages and only recently wrote me a server/admin connect menu. Other than that I atm dont feel like I need anything else.

I prefer single-mode servers with a decent maprot!

I think gema-servers are fine! They are used and there is a group of people playing and enjoying them a lot. Personally, I'm not annoyed by camper servers, I just feel a little sad for all those noobs that dont really know what kind of an awesome game they are playing.

I dont care.
Thanks given by:
1: what do you think about that? did AC lose some of it's speed due to those changes?
should nade pickups be in pairs again, should nade carry capability be "2" again, should armour be single-strength again?

The problem I have with 2 nades per pick ups is the nade spamming in pubs, 2 nades pick ups they were never a problem in matches, quite the contrary but, they made some maps (like shine) a pain in the ass to play on pubs, especially when you had 2 frags for nade kills.
I love speed, so the current armour strength annoys me quite a bit, thou I can recognize it brought a interesting new tactical side to AC, so I'm not sure about this one...

Yes I do.

Fine by me as it made nade spamming disappear. Just don't change the 2 frags for headshot or slash (nor mess with the knofe capability of ignore kvelar)

I hoard them like there's no tomorrow but I wouldn't mind if they're gone.

With no key binding only a handful of folks can do it efficiently and it's big within the gema community, so if you can somehow can make binding for it impossible, keep it otherwise not.

It really depends on the map but in all fairness if I'm facing opponents better than me I usually go automatic on their arses with smg or AR (for open maps)

My buddies write them for me, can't do it myself

Diversification is always good, I love to play on custom map servers, we have loads of top notch custom maps out there that are hardly ever played, which is a shame!

I have no problem with neither one of them as they attract a lot of players, let ppl play whatever the hell they want, devs should even allow custom server configs (with no damage) to gema servers.

Not by any means.
Thanks given by:
I hadn't thought of that, but I'd say yes. I'm not opposed to single-pickups of nades, but I think a maximum of 3 of them is too much. maybe 1 or 2 instead. I don't really mind the armour thing.

Depends on if they're available, but I'd say yes, depending on what's happening in-game. If I'm attempting to steal the flag, then I might get a little armour and some grenades, but if I'm defending I'd focus on armouring up.

I don't mind it, grenade kills aren't hard to get. Headshots are.

Nope, helmets do help but I wouldn't miss them.

Actual trickjumping is fine. Scripted trickjumping is not.

SmG, but I dabble in sniping from time to time amongst pretty much every other weapon. 2 nades wasn't enough to be considered a primary weapon if the pickups are spaced out properly.

A little, and since they're all simple I script them myself.

I think single-mode servers are actually a pretty cool thing to have, it's single-map servers that are hell.

Well, if there weren't gema servers they'd be in other servers trying to vote in gema maps so I don't mind. As for camper servers, they're crap. Single-map servers are still terrible. maps in servers should be diverse.

I'm a bit confused by the question, but as long as other platforms could still run LAN I wouldn't mind, I guess?
Thanks given by:
what do you think about that? did AC lose some of it's speed due to those changes? should nade pickups be in pairs again, should nade carry capability be "2" again, should armour be single-strength again?

a) If you spend too much time grabbing pickups after you spawn, you will slowly lose pressure on the map, meaning that you will face your enemy closer and closer from your base which is dangerous. If you don't push out fast enough after you spawn will get trapped/spawnraped later on.
b) I think nades are under-used atm, because people may think it's not rewarding enough. So instead of using them wisely, they just spam it in places where people are likely to come without even thinking of where enemies could be. Putting more nades would just mean more spam, so it would be even more annoying (low risk high reward)
c) I think controlling armour is a big part of the "tactical" aspect since controlling pickups and denying it to your opponents will give you a huge advantage, and even if doesn't, it at least removes it to your enemies.

Nah, in a match I'd just push out my way and grab everything that's on my way if it gives me advantage to be able to meet my enemy in the best position/angle/timing I can.
In public though, I'd probably consider going 100/100 before entering enemy base with 8people camping with shotgun if I don't want to insta die..

Well, even though it would make grenades a high reward for killing someone it (which is not easy when you're versing an AR/SMG 1on1), it would be too OP for those who just spam nades and get loads of kills without even trying.
Imo the problem is that you don't have to be good to kill with nades. If you're good with nades, you will have an advantage, but if you're awful, you'll still get random gibs so..If only grenades could be something harder to hit, I'd agree to put 2 points in it (high risk - high reward)

I think it's a great addition, I'm not a fan of the "only kevlar maps" and I think it forces people to think of what they're doing better. Some people would neglect picking a helmet to push faster whereas if you're smart you will win your 1v1, thanks to those extra seconds you took to grab helmet.

I think it's fun and I totally think rifle jumping should be kept in. The game would be so annoying and boring if you could only score flags strafe running from base to base. There are many tricks and outplays you can do with rifle jumping and lots of players trained it to make it work in competitive play.
As for the "hax jump", I don't think it should be kept since it somehow makes it harder to hit the frog who's jumping.

I'd say I like sniper the most because it requires skill to be good with and I like the idea of chunking down multiple people to low health to help my team push in. Though SMG is just too strong right now so when I play the game (lol) I play SMG.
Actually, the idea of having one role for each weapon could be very interesting and I think I'd like it. Having one grenadier, one sniper, and one flagger (AR/SMG) could bring up some new teamplay/tactics.

Yep I do use it, some of it I made myself some I copied, it's usually things that I find more practical. (name change, gamma fix, mastermode/autoteam shortcut...)

Diversity is better because it would the "scene" growing bigger. When I started AC, I was playing only TOSOK because it's what brings the most fun. But if I never gotten introduced to CTF and if I hadn't been forced to play it, I wouldve probably gotten stuck in the TOSOK forever part of AC.
If we can get all around good players (CTF, surv, TOSOK), it would increase pubs quality and maybe bring some newer players to the "competitive" play.

I don't enjoy playing gemas cuz I think it's annoying when you don't suceed and fail the same jump 52 times in a row. But I can understand why it's fun and why people play it. Some players were inventive enough to create maps like those because they thought it was fun, I think it would be pretty stupid to remove it because "it's not how AC is supposed to be played". It's because of "old school" & conservative ideas like those that games stay stuck and don't evolve for years (ggwp "developers" as they like to call themselves)

Why would we reduce it to linux only? It would remove the possibility for Windows user to create servers and even if the technical aspect can be more rewarding using Linux, I don't think it'd be any "good" if we prohibitted players from making their own servers just because they're on Windows or Mac.
Thanks given by:

Yes to all questions.

In clan matches because I like to compete on the same 'level' as my opponent. In public I pick up armor when I can.

Confusing. Some people are good with nades and should be given an extra kill for that, others sucks with nade.

Could be useful, I'm unsure.

Unfair advantage of those who are capable of doing it.

The SMG, never considered nade to be a possible primary weapon, but the secondary weapon for sure. Pistols have always been a hassle for me.

Don't use cubescript, don't know cubescript.

Diversity certainly, brings out the real challenge. Playing shine for the 34th time isn't fun.

For those who like them that's fine. Many maps have had the success of running offline, there's always a balance here. But servers pushing any map 24/7 should add more diversity IMO.

Wouldn't care at all. It could be a benefit of rouling out poor maintained servers (although they do exists on linux machines too).
Thanks given by: