[map] ac_trainyard
ac_trainyard : Download

Introduction
I didn't really suppose to make any map until the day I saw my friend, Deathcrew77, was looking for a new LSS map for his tourney and ofcourse he needed it all fresh. LSS is personally my favorite mode, that I have no idea how much the amount of time I've played LSS in AC specially on ac_desert and after that when ac_douze got brought to AC. I was always enjoying playing LSS on douze and still, but I also liked to see a map like that with less fps drops and also with a more realistic theme. So that the ac_trainyard got started to made, mainly focusing on balancing between the targeted gameplay, the aesthetics and ofcourse the cube engine restrictions. I hope you'll all find your fun in ac_trainyard.

Map Story
1930, at New York City. There's been a rumor between two main Italian mafia families, Joe "The Boss" Masseria and Salvatore Maranzano(probably one of them is the ancestor of Deathcrew ;) ), that there is a big load of alcohol suppressed by the cops in Chicago and it's already being held somewhere at New York City train station. The war begins when two gangs decide to send their partisans to take control of the trainyard and own all the load. (more info @ http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Castellammarese_War)

Map Gameplay
The trainyard is mainly made up for LSS fight which is consisting of three railroad lines(1, A1 and B1). There are also two rooms which the railroal arena connects them to eachother.There has been an open arena made at the middle with appropriate amount of models to hide, chase or run. According to Deathcrew's requirements, there are two main spots that have been intentionally placed in the map for the players who want to use and show off their haxjump skills(a box for "B1" railroad wagon and the boxpack model for the red wagon,[see the picture below]) . These two spots are made to jump over the wagons where the nades are waiting for the haxjumper, though there are still forsure extra other ways to go over those wagons and reach the nades for the players who would like to try using normal jumps(ofc it might take more time to reach for them). It's also been tried to have fair Playerspawns and Nade spawns to have a fair gameplay as much as possible.

Map Details
Like I've mentioned it before, ac_trainyard is mainly made for LSS, but it's fun to play T/DM and T/OSOK duels too. Since the map is rather small, it does support no flags/CTF. 11 FFA spawns for duels, and plus 10 spawns for each team has been supposed for this map. About 2/3 of the map is unreachable, that means it's the decorative part of the map. It's mainly made to give the viewer more feeling of being inside in a trainyard.

Screenshots
The main arena
[Image: 14912862410219049125.jpg]

A view to "1" line
[Image: 41024450911154982749.jpg]

A view to "B1" railroad
[Image: 21067834297417750273.jpg]

Additional Photos :
Appreciation
My big thanks belongs to my friend, Deathcrew77, who showed his true love for AC and ofcourse LSS and did support the map for his tourney. He also helped me a lot with testing the map and fixing the gaps in the map.
Also surely my biggest thanks belongs to my another friend, Boeufmironton , who has made most of the new elite models and textures and he did generously made them all free to use(ofc by crediting him). He's surely a true modder and mapper.

Resources
From now on, I've decided to add this section to all my releasing maps. I felt it might be helpful and also save more time for the other mappers who might be interested to follow such themes and make better ones in the future. These are all the main resources I've got inspired from them to make ac_trainyard :
ac_factory by Boeufmironton
de_train(cs map)
http://upload7.ir/imgs/2014-03/76392271288842087329.jpg
http://upload7.ir/imgs/2014-03/85044077557070242940.png
http://upload7.ir/imgs/2014-03/85461303202892312122.jpg
http://upload7.ir/imgs/2014-03/83079113000929896981.jpg
http://upload7.ir/imgs/2014-03/32147891349952599543.jpg
http://upload7.ir/imgs/2014-03/41928988750633563943.jpg
http://upload7.ir/imgs/2014-03/95034210044797652280.jpg
http://upload7.ir/imgs/2014-03/81724434999609603928.jpg
http://upload7.ir/imgs/2014-03/47700580030535605598.jpg

Thanks for reading. Surely all constructive comments and feedback are always welcome.

click to Download
Thanks given by:
Yeah I thought this looked a bit like de_train. Excellent map :D
Thanks given by:
is this AC?
Thanks given by:
The first map of high quality made ​​to LSS. Tested a bit of gameplay and it was fun.
The details of the map are great. The lights are great too.
Congratulations an ty.
[Image: 34hdt8z.jpg]
Thanks given by:
@Phantom & @1cap : thanks my friends.
-------------------------------------------------------------------
@Undead :
Although in my opinion AC community is one of the best, but I have seen sometimes we troll about everything instead of supporting each other for the better of AC. Personally I don’t call it "envy" or "sniffy" about this case; actually I believe the word "uncautiousness" fits more for such behaviors.

I think I've mentioned the word "inspiration" at the Source section of the map introduction to clarify everything there. "The process of being mentally stimulated to do or feel something, especially to do something creative", that's the meaning of "inspiration", for your information. Obviously following the realism themes in a map, produces familiar scenes to the viewers. I guess, nobody expects to face a spaceship when loading a trainyard map(referring you to the resources inspiring rl photos). Furthermore the map is totally different in size and layout from what you had in your mind, otherwise the copy of this map would work in another game and vice versa.

I'd ask you take another look to ac_trainyard carefully , but this time : please check/see All the resources above before; I'm sure you will find the traces of all the inspiring elements in pictures, inside the map one by one.

Now that you realize the meaning of Inspiration, I will be glad to see your Constructive comments about ac_trainyard in order to improve the quality of the maps in your favorite game(AC).
Thanks given by:
This is a nice map but my opinion on the massive use of custom mapmodels says it is against mapper's creativeness. Instead of trying to find a good way to represents what you want into the game with the limited Cube engine, you directly pick a custom mapmodel.
It's not like AC lacks of industrial models.
Thanks given by:
sorry, i wasn't trying to be sarcastic. it just looked like a completely different game. i only realised it was AC after 10 glances.
nothing wrong with importing a bunch of new mapmodels. its just that it makes it easier to create a "colourful" map. its an excellent map, although it would be more enjoyable to play on if you took the time to clip the mapmodels just below the roof.

good job
Thanks given by:
(19 Mar 14, 01:12PM)ExodusS Wrote: my opinion on the massive use of custom mapmodels says it is against mapper's creativeness.
I guess we have the lowest in common in this field. In my opinion the use of hundreds of custom/official mapmodels are suitable as long as : 1- it fits to the theme and 2- also the mapper can control the fps/wqd of his map(cube engine limitions). That's the meaning of ceativeness, I believe.

(19 Mar 14, 01:12PM)ExodusS Wrote: Instead of trying to find a good way to represents what you want into the game with the limited Cube engine, you directly pick a custom mapmodel.
I would agree with you in this part if we were talking before 1.2 released. The new auto-download feature is mainly made to bring new contents easier in the maps, imo. Surely you don't expect me to make a neat train wagon with cubes as much as I don't expect you to make a Maya Plate with them to bring Aztec theme.
Plus the models such as the "poutres" are made to cover the cube engine restrictions.
(19 Mar 14, 01:12PM)ExodusS Wrote: It's not like AC lacks of industrial models.
I'm really surprised when I hear this from someone who calls himself a mapper. I'd like to refer you to ac_factory by Buefmironton to open another world into your eyes about missing industrial mapmodels in AC.(though that's just a few of an ocean size of mapmodels that can be brought to AC for industrial theme or any other mighty one)

Goodluck
Thanks given by:
I already saw all BœufMironton's maps (or at least, all his old ones) and I already had the opportuinity to speak with him about the use of mapmodels in his maps, IIRC he made some Aztec/Maya themed maps as well, but since there is almost no official contents (textures & mapmodels) that fits with this new theme, there is no problem by adding a load of new contents, new contents that are going to be a sort of reference for future maps of the same theme. I don't know if you already saw the last interview, I said a sentence wich is pretty accurate with the situation about the auto-downloader/packager:

Quote:Mappers needed to compensate the lack of contents and engine limits with their creativity, now they just have to find a 4x8 platform on akimbo instead of placing a classic one and putting half of it in a wall.
^ofc it's the exagerated pov

AC maps must not turn around custom models, even if this map is an exception because it's a special one that was made for the LSS (if I understood well), what you tried to reproduce in-game was probably possible without some custom models, the abundance of new contents was just replacing the creativity.
I did not want to be rude or agressive in what I said in the first post (and in this one too), sorry if it hurted you.
Thanks given by:
@ExodusS :
"Actions speak louder than the words."
I think that's the main difference between us, my friend.
Thanks given by:
(20 Mar 14, 04:35AM)SrPER$IAN Wrote: "Actions speak louder than the words."
I think that's the main difference between us, my friend.

I don't know what are the "actions" you spoke about.
Thanks given by:
Awesome looking map!
Dont think it will get too much gameplay time...
but that is the fate of most ac custom maps, no matter how good looking they are.
You can only hope for server owners to be so nice and add your map into rotation.
Thanks given by:
Archangel's flag on ac_blackpearl, people thought it is mapmodel :P everytime i smiled with the question about it. Good custom mapmodeled map will be certainly problem for "old school" AC, so we will see new kind of restriction. (download size probably ?) :P I am not against autodownload, the modelers should have chance to present their work ! Although i feel that lost of creativity too. Lego movies or minecraft are popular thanks that limitations which force you to specific kind of mapping. It can be solved on serverlist, put next "heart" (like icon) some next crazy icons for ladder server, custom server etc. The count of all kind servers should be balanced.
Thanks given by:
@|HP| I'm glad that you liked it my friend. Like I've mentioned above, ac_trainyard is mainly exclusively made for .45 LSS Tourney and it's already being played. There is no matter if it gets dust on it after, since it has already reached its goal. Time will show what happens next.
----------------------------------------------------------------------
@Alien :
My friend, it's really good to see that you have a nice memory for reminding about an old map "ac_blackpearl". It was a nice map for its age. I'd also like to help your memory to remember something too => Link . Regarding to that link and some other speech about "creativity" in this thread from both the persons here and there, it seems ppl's taste surprisingly might get changed from case to case (or maybe from person to person). Please forgive me to ignore the rest of your comment.

BTW in case you're interested in flagging ship-like old maps, I would suggest you to check up ac_fracht by Mr.Floppy, I'm sure you'll learn a lot from his map.
Goodluck
Thanks given by:
For me best ship map was made by "teamhase", 2 ships against each other in small map. there was "wow" effect, pearl was just coop and fun. Floppy's one is depressive for me, but i used it for maprot.

You missed my point (nvm, it can be my shitty english :P) so i will stick what you probably except. Thx for map, i will enjoy to play it, it is nice custom map :P
Thanks given by:
(21 Mar 14, 12:42AM)Alien Wrote: For me best ship map was made by "teamhase", 2 ships against each other in small map.

I never had the opportunity to play it without the "no texture" skymap. :D
Thanks given by:
My eyes hurt... SO MUCH quality and effortness in one map...
GJ SrPer$ian ;)
Thanks given by:
@Andrez
Thanks my friend. I do appreciate all your efforts in akimbo too. : )
Thanks given by:
(21 Mar 14, 12:37PM)ExodusS Wrote:
(21 Mar 14, 12:42AM)Alien Wrote: For me best ship map was made by "teamhase", 2 ships against each other in small map.

I never had the opportunity to play it without the "no texture" skymap. :D

http://ac-akimbo.net/showthread.php?tid=507
Thanks given by:
Looks awesome. GJ
Thanks given by: