Mappers Interviews: Snoosnoo
Part two of my interviews brings me to someone I have worked with on many different fronts. From organizing mapping contest, to toying with theme ideas, to mapping reviews. Snoosnoo has won the best in show in the 7th mapping contest, which was underground theme, with his work on ac_discovery. I sat down with him for what was another good interview. I hope you enjoy.

Quote: Halo: "Today I am here with Snoosnoo. Lets jump right in shall we? How are you today? Care to give a small introduction of your mapping past?"
Snoosnoo: "Hey! I'm quite well thank-you. I am quite exhausted, but it's nice to be home in the warmth and participating in this interview. For those that don't know me, I have a very brief mapping history. I've only made a few maps, but have developed in leaps. I've also won a mapping competition."

Halo: "Speaking of mapping competitions, what was your idea for ac_discovery? The map that won the contest? How did you go about making it?"
Snoosnoo: "The theme being underground, it was a perfect moment to try and make caves in AssaultCube. I hadn't done it before and the idea of underground water caverns interested me greatly. I think this was from a time when waterfalls and lakes always seemed to exist in underground caves on the classic games like Tomb Raider."

Halo: "If you had another go at it from a fresh start, do you think you could improve on it? Why or why not?"
Snoosnoo: "Oh, without a doubt. Taking on a map of that size on my own gave me a reality check on how difficult it can be to fill areas. I acknowledge a poor and rushed job in several areas, but certain rooms just took it all out of me. If I was to improve it, I think I would change the lighting too. I considered myself lucky enough to get a constant brightness across the whole map, at least."

Halo: "Would you include any of the new mapmodels? Do you think the new stricter mapping restrictions would hurt you any?"
Snoosnoo: "I would add a few of the mapmodels. I love the new pipes. Having a small suite of different pipes to create joinings gives them a variety of use. In terms of the other models, I have only looked briefly, but I prefer the originals. In regards to the mapping restrictions, I wouldn't think it would affect any of my maps. I assume it would affect, or at least make it more difficult to recreate sniper@camper, which was one of my ideas."

Halo: "Lets talk about the mapping restrictions. What are your thoughts about them? Do you think they help or hurt creativity?"
Snoosnoo: "I have no doubts that the restrictions damage peoples planned ideas when they make a map. Personally, I think the restrictions are a waste of time. Granted, you will end up with garbage from time to time when looking across the master server. You also tend to remember map names and avoid them. At least they would receive criticism and improve their ways."

Halo: "What do you think your best attribute in mapping is? Why?"
Snoosnoo: "I would like to think that my best attribute is my eagerness to try things that people haven't. I don't mind stretching AssaultCube and trying to create things that would normally not be seen before. An example is a dam I tried to make. I guess it would never work with the new restrictions. I like seeing things in AC that you normally wouldn't. Things that surprise you."

Halo: "As a follow up question, what do you think your worse is? Why?"
Snoosnoo: "Whilst I have an excuse now and can say I don't have much time to map, previously I had plenty. I procrastinate a lot. I've never worked throughout my education unless I was at a tight deadline. I suppose you could say the same with mapping. Another is having an idea that seems good, but never going along with it to test it out."

Halo: "What made you want to become a mapper? Where do you draw inspiration?"
Snoosnoo: "There was a series of reasons. When I came along and played the game, early on I met a group of guys that were far from good mappers, but better than me. We used to mess around making nonsense really. The lost Zombie Mod came along, and I made a map for that with some guy called ph[]en1x or something. I think he was blacklisted. I was sought by my old clan to make maps for a singleplayer story mod that never came out, then after an argument between ourselves and the community, an entirely new cube game was under the making. I was asked to make a map and that's when I started developing as a better mapper. Again, this never took off."

Halo: "Are there any official maps you draw inspiration from? What about mappers?"
Snoosnoo: "I tend to stay as far away from official maps as possible. One map that pulled on my heart-strings was bunker by Mr.Floppy, which inspired me in the past. Subconsciously, I probably take inspiration from a lot of maps, but I like to think that from the few I've made, I've tried to keep as far away as possible from inspiration. Of course, I learn from yourself. Like an apprentice, I pick up similar ideas to yourself."

Halo: "If you could make a map with anyone, present or past mapper, who would it be and why?"
Snoosnoo: "If the master server was back how it used to be, and you saw a few open coop servers with people screaming "don't touch that" down the chat whilst they are taking pride in something that they are making.... I think I would like to map with that guy. The unheard of mapper that isn't fantastic. The least we can do is pass on our knowledge in the hope he becomes a gem."

Halo: "That is a very different outcome to that answer than what I was expecting. Good answer. On a different note, what theme do you find best suits your mapping style? Why this theme and not others?"
Snoosnoo: "I will always be comfortable making caves and rock formations, so underground suits me the most. The only explanation to this is that I have simply had more practice with this. I love the precision it takes to look right. I can't stand the agony of making buildings. Making them look natural, and filling them in the correct amount is a difficult task!"

Halo: "What is your favorite official map? What about non-official map? Why these?"
Snoosnoo: "I think I usually have the most fun on ac_power. I like that it's suited to larger population servers, but never seems quiet on smaller scale clan matches. I don't like its appearance, though. I also like Outpost. It looks so simple, but has a fluent play to it. As I mentioned earlier, ac_bunker for sure. I've always been a fan boy for this map. I don't know what it is, but it is just filled so well, and the detail isn't too much nor too little"

Halo: "I must ask, who are some of your favorite mappers, and why?"
Snoosnoo: "My top three mappers in no particular order are YesWeCamp, as he produced fine quality maps. I would love to see his new ideas, because he has a lot of creation on his side. My second is Turtles. I loved appalchia (I don't know how to spell it.) but it was awesome. My third is yourself. With several high quality maps out, I couldn't not include you. Your modern day maps are a good blend of quality and gameplay.

Halo: "Last few questions, you planning on any releases soon? If so, care to drop some hints as to what?"
Snoosnoo: "You and I share a couple of incomplete maps that I would love to release. I don't want to give away too much, but they're underground with a couple of unique ideas to make them differ from the norm. As for a new map? I don't have anything planned thus far. I do have an ambition of making a map soon, though I have not found an idea I can develop too much on."

Halo: "In closing, is that anything else you would like to add? How was this interview for you?"
Snoosnoo: "I don't have much else to say, other than that I hope that mapping will become as golden as it used to be. The interview has gone well enough! I hope it's shed some light into my thoughts. Thanks for the interview."

Halo: "I do want to thank you for taking this time to sit down with me for this interview as well as providing quality answers. I look forward to seeing your mapping grow in the future and look forward to what else you can provide."

I want to thank Snoosnoo for another quality interview. As I posted last week, if you have any ideas, be it on questions or how to set up the interviews, I am open to them. Also I need more mappers to interview, so if you would like to be interviewed, you can PM me on these forums.

As I did last review. I will post a preview of the next one and see if anyone can figure out who it is. This person is an official mapper and has won a mapping contest as well. I asked the question, "Do you feel there is an obvious difference between competitive and pub style maps? Why?". This person responded with, "There is obviously a huge difference in overall between competitive and pub style maps because first of all, the number of player is different, a public map should handle 10+ players (mostly 12-14) and enough pickups, space, paths to offer a good and fast gameplay in contrary to the competitive map that must have a layout that offers to the teams enough possible elaborated strategies for an intense game. However, there are a few maps that offer both, ac_shine is a perfect exemple, it is probably one of the most played map in competition and in public games because of it's interesting gameplay."

Thanks for reading, post below your thoughts or guesses on who it is.
Thanks given by:
(05 Mar 14, 01:28AM)Pi_Halo Wrote: post below your thoughts or guesses on who it is

exoduss, and it's obvious :D

nice interview though!
Thanks given by:
Quote:Halo: "Would you include any of the new mapmodels? Do you think the new stricter mapping restrictions would hurt you any?"
Snoosnoo: "I would add a few of the mapmodels. I love the new pipes. Having a small suite of different pipes to create joinings gives them a variety of use. In terms of the other models, I have only looked briefly, but I prefer the originals. In regards to the mapping restrictions, I wouldn't think it would affect any of my maps. I assume it would affect, or at least make it more difficult to recreate sniper@camper, which was one of my ideas."

wat :| lol

good interview.
Thanks given by:
(05 Mar 14, 01:33AM)Vanquish Wrote: exoduss, and it's obvious :D

Why is that so obvious? :D
Thanks given by:
(05 Mar 14, 01:28AM)Pi_Halo Wrote: This person is an official mapper and has won a mapping contest as well.

You were the only one that came to mind :P

(05 Mar 14, 01:28AM)Pi_Halo Wrote: a public map should handle 10+ players (mostly 12-14) and enough pickups, space, paths to offer a good and fast gameplay in contrary to the competitive map that must have a layout that offers to the teams enough possible elaborated strategies for an intense game.

I believe you may have said this, or something similar, before on another thread, but I can't find it :/

(05 Mar 14, 01:28AM)Pi_Halo Wrote: ac_shine is a perfect exemple

I noticed you say "exemple" in some of your posts as well :D
Thanks given by:
Yeah, I see, exemple instead of example, dat sharped eyes. :P
Nice interview btw, I like the answer about the mapping restrictions.

Quote:At least [without restriction] they would receive criticism and improve their ways.
Thanks given by:
Yay

Gj Snoo and Halo
Thanks given by: