Mappers Interviews: Z3R0
I wanted to start something new and interview mappers. Most mappers don't get the chance to really express how they feel about other items in mapping that often. Not to say it hasn't happened, it just doesn't happen very often. I feel like this will give them a chance to let their voice be heard just a bit.

My first interview was with Z3R0. Someone I had worked with a few times to try to help and motivate. He won the 7th mapping contest in the newcomer entry with his map ac_ripsaw. He has released numerous maps and entered 2 mapping contest. A mapper that has already delivered great work and has a bright future ahead in mapping.

Quote: Halo: "Alright, lets jump right in. I will start off with a simple question. Just who are you in this community and how are you doing today?"
Z3R0: "I'm a kinda well known mapper, not a very good player right now but yeah. I'm not too bad."

Halo: "Now that the formal is out of the way, lets get into some mapping stuff. The actual point of this. How long have you been mapping and what made you want to become a mapper?"
Z3R0: "Oh wow, I don't know exactly, but I've been mapping ever since I started playing ac. About 3 years ago? I was never able to play ac on my old laptop as I got close to 15 fps all the time, but when I found out I could map I decided I'd try it. I've always been quite drawn to art and such, so I was happy to see people playing on something I made."

Halo: " Very nice answer. That is a pretty good feeling to see people play on your work. Are there any idols you have in mapping that you look up to for inspiration? If so, can you explain why them?"
Z3R0: "Jiba is probably quite a big inspiration on my maps, mainly because whenever I've found a map of his new to me, I'd find something great that I either wanted to try or made me think of something else to create. I can't think of too many different mappers as I really find inspiration in lots of different maps. I also find structures in real life that I feel would work in maps, and so not all inspiration comes from mappers."

Halo: "I can understand that. If you felt there was a style, or theme rather, that fits your way of mapping, what would that be? Why that over other themes?"
Z3R0: "I couldn't say exactly why, but I feel my maps are very recognizable. I would say I have a style, but I couldn't say what really. I've done a lot of maps with the french/italian kind of theme, as I find these countries architecture quite interesting and beautiful. If not european architecture, I tend to stray towards either quite run down urban themes, or themes that I haven't seen before. Snow was the theme I chose for my first few maps, and so I always associate that as one of my favourite themes, the cold and dark feel fits my vision of ac quite well. Never been a great fan of the desert theme."

Halo: "This is a question of opinion and I'm sure it will differ greatly from mine. However, what is your favorite official map and why?"
Z3R0: "I'd have to say ac_ingress. Always found ac_ingress a really solid map, has a nice regular theme, but still looks great. Not lacking in detail or interesting gameplay. I've always found it the most fun to play. Certain parts of this map have inspired multiple other things used in my maps, although maybe not noticeable."

Halo: "As a similar question, I know it is hard to pick just one, but please try. If you had to pick one of your own maps as your favorite, what would it be, and why that one over other works?"
Z3R0: " Can't say I really like any of them that much, haha. I'd have to say ac_cloud1.1 then, I think it's my map with the most interesting features, has a decent layout and nice theme. Every room has something nice and different about it, I enjoy walking through it. Although I think the gameplay is lacking in this map, it is in all of my other maps too, so that doesn't really change my opinion."

Halo: "What do you think about the new updates to mapping, i.e mapmodels, edit speed, and similar things?"
Z3R0: "Well, I enjoy the flyspeed change available, so much better for the bigger maps, very useful. Haven't figured out how to turn on the special mapping textures (located "textures/map_editor"), unless I just need to add them to the cfg, but it'll be very good when I do. The auto download is probably the biggest feature to hit with 1.2, for me, and I think it's amazing. So much easier to download and install maps, I love this, allowing custom content maps to be played is also amazing. I've had a few problems with it, (well I haven't, but my properly packaged map has), but once I get everything sorted I think it should be fine. There are probably some new features I'm yet to even try, but finding out how to work the cube editor was the entire reason I played ac to begin with, so I look forward to it."

Halo: "What are your thoughts on the mapping contest? Would you like to see another one?"
Z3R0: "Well, I enjoyed mapping for the last one, with a set theme it's always difficult to work within it closely and make sure that I'm paying as much attention to the actual map quality. Although that can lead to some very interesting and new map ideas emerging. I would definitely like to see another competition, assuming we ever get the results of the 8th."

Halo: "In a perfect world, who would you like to see judge a mapping contest? Why them?"
Z3R0: "Jiba and Sanzo as two judges, as these guys make all round great maps, with detail and solid gameplay. I think someone such as Waffles, as they're always getting shout outs for being great competitive players and should be able to judge a map well on it's gameplay potential. I think maybe Cleaner would be a good judge, very creative guy and his maps always seem quite new a different. I'll also say YesWeCamp or ExodusS, they've picked up on small details in my maps that I've never seen while going over it, and a keen eye is needed to judge well. I'm not to sure about judges really, not something I've ever thought about, I think this could be a good panel anyway."

Halo: "What would you like to see for a theme for the next contest? Why that theme?"
Z3R0: "I think a futuristic theme would be interesting, people don't know what the future will be like, so it opens up a world of possibilities. Although textures and mapmodels might not be best suited for futuristic maps, but then again, working around that might create some new, great things."

Halo: "The future theme has been thought about a few times. Change of pace now. If you could bring back one past mapper who isn't around anymore to learn from or work with who would it be and why?"
Z3R0: " Oh damn, that's tough. I'm not too sure what mappers are truly gone or not, so I don't have too many options I think. I think I'd go with 4bit, I haven't seen many of his maps, but the few I have have been really nice maps, and I think we map in a somewhat similar style. His ac_snowfall was an inspiration for a few maps. Of course I'm sure exactly where spookyfish is, whether he is still sometimes active or completely gone, but he is another mapper I think would be cool to work on a map with, I just love his style."

Halo: "4bit was a favorites when he was around. Lets go with another opinion question. Who do you feel is the best mapper? We are going to split this up into old school mappers and new school mappers. So two different people should be given."
Z3R0: "I'll have to say either jiba or Shadow for the best old school mapper. They've released a lot of great maps, all very fun and great looking. Looking through these maps has given me lots of inspiration and been the source of lots of ideas I've pursued. Most of these guys' maps I've played on make me take a long look around, just to see every detail and aspect of the map, and it's all great. I think because I've seen more maps of Jiba's, I know his style better, and it's a favourite style of mine, so I'll put him forward as my favourite. I'm not sure what to consider for current mapping, as I hardly see anyone release anything these days. I'd Say Halo and Bukz are a very good mapping team, and their cooperative style has lead to many good maps, simple or complex gameplay and nice looks too. Undead and ExodusS are also quite a good mapping team, I've noticed a lot of interesting uses of models and geometry in their maps, and that's always nice to see when playing. I'd say ywc and mercykill are good mappers, yet I feel I've yet to see their best works, hopefully, so I don't know if I can comment on that. Daylixx and Sanzo have released lots of nice maps themselves too, and I'm sure I'd consider them new school? I think some of their maps are really my favourites. I'll have to say ExodusS as my favourite current mapper, as his attention to detail is great, and some of his maps are quite new and creative, he has a specific style that I enjoy, and I feel that with a really interesting and planned out layout, he could make amazing maps."

Halo: "Long answer, I like that. So, now that we are nearing the end, I will ask you, plan on any maps anytime soon? Any hints you want to drop about them if so?"
Z3R0: "Yeah, got quite a few ideas lying about. Hopefully I'll find some of my old plans I lost, and be able to get to work on them. I think I'll be experimenting with water and fog, seeing if I'm able to do what I intend on doing properly. Water would be my hint I suppose, should be fun."

Halo: "If you had the say, what map would you pick to be official that isn't, and why?"
Z3R0: "I'd say ac_origin by DaylixX. This map has a real nice layout, and looks like it'd be a very fun match map, but would still function in smaller pubs. I love the atmosphere of this map, DaylixX has a very subtle yet unique mapping style, and there's always something different. ac_origin has some very interesting structures and some well created areas. I also considered ac_alb by Spookyfish, ac_dusk by Shadow, ac_dingy by Halo and Bukz and ac_vengaza1.1 by Jiba."

Halo: "Closing questions, what did you think of this interview process? Would you like to read others?"
Z3R0: "Not sure how to comment on the process, it worked. Of course I'd like to read others. Getting a taste of other mapper's opinions can help me see different aspects of maps I haven't noticed before and could potentially help me when mapping also. I'd also just find it an interesting read anyway."

Halo: "Is there anything you would like to add or say in closing?"
Z3R0: "I didn't manage to mention Apollo in any answers and I love his collection of maps, all incredibly fun to play on. Brett also, as some of the maps he's worked on are my favourites. Boeufmironton has released some great custom maps, and his execution with custom content and theme is amazing. Mr.Floppy also, who was a big influence on some of my older maps. And thanks to anyone who actually cared enough to read all of it, ahaha."

Halo: "Well, thank you for your time Z3R0. I am glad you sat through this with me. I look forward to see your future in mapping. I hope you have a good one Z3R0."
Z3R0: "Tyty for the interest. You too."

I want to thank Z3R0 for his time and a very well done interview. I hope people enjoy these interviews and if you are a mapper and wish to take part, let me know.

The next mapper to be interviewed is also a mapping contest winner. His introduction from himself says, "Hey! I'm quite well thank-you. I am quite exhausted, but it's nice to be home in the warmth and participating in this interview. For those that don't know me, I have a very brief mapping history. I've only made a few maps, but have developed in leaps. I've also won a mapping competition." It is also someone whom I have worked with before.

You can leave your opinions or ideas below on this and any mappers you would like to see interviewed (even if it is yourself). Also you can take guessed on the next mapper up if you so want. I hope this was a good read for you guys and ladies.
Thanks given by:
This is really cool and well done. Very nice to read

I would suggest ExodusS or Undead for an interview. Both are very vocal members of this community
Thanks given by:
It's a very good idea, this time interviews are going over competitive players and AC personalities with interesting questions, I like it. :P
I'd kill to see Jiba's or Mr.Floppy's answers to a complete interview.
Also, thanks a lot to Z3R0 :)
Thanks given by:
Awesome to get insights from other members of the community this way - keep up the awesome work!
Thanx Z3R0 and Pi_Halo!
Thanks given by:
(26 Feb 14, 02:12AM)Cemer Wrote: Undead for an interview.

I am willing to interview Undead. He is my greatest of friends.
Thanks given by:
i am accept of your request
Thanks given by:
Yeeesssssssss
Thanks given by:
Request accept accepted.

BTW, Halo/Z3RO, nice interview.
Thanks given by:
(25 Feb 14, 09:41PM)Pi_Halo Wrote: Halo: " [...] what made you want to become a mapper?"
Z3R0: "[...] I was never able to play ac on my old laptop as I got close to 15 fps all the time, but when I found out I could map I decided I'd try it [...]"

awwwww :-) let's thanks your old laptop then ;-)

great maps :-D
Thanks given by: