Hacking
So now that I run a server, I feel like it's important to be able to tell if someone's hacking. Yet, besides the obvious speedhack or knifehack, I really don't seem to be able to tell. Some people (urban) were on my server before and I really couldn't tell. What are some common hacking modes(?) and what are the telltale signs?

Edit: On second thought, that was the worst title choice ever.
Thanks given by:
aimbot, wallhack, flyhack
Thanks given by:
How do you tell if someone is aimbotting/wallhacking? I'm guessing flyhacking is easy to detect....
Thanks given by:
If you want a list of all know cheats, go and take a look at the heaps of pages in the blacklist section. Also, if you compiled your own server and want the list for to make your own anti cheat, take in mind that most of those algorithms use heuristics.
As a server owner the least of your problems are the obvious cheats which are so obvious that any low skilled programmer can implement in code, the ones that you should be paying very careful attention are the 'cautious' and 'subtle' cheaters (and ex-cheaters which now know how to not make the same mistakes of the past and are more hard to detect)

Edit: Do you realize cheaters, ex-cheaters and potential cheaters might read this if someone give you complete details on how to do so?
I think this should be treated privately with the person that attend this matters :I
Thanks given by:
Some cheats are harder to detect than others, some aimbots gives the player constant headshots, no matter wich part of the model they hit, it's always a headshot (you'll notice this one just by spectating). Others seems to be able to turn it on/off.
The 'wallhack' is harder to detect (at least for me), since you don't actually see it if you spectate the player.
Regarding that 'urban', his cheats where kinda obvious, I spec him, and when he aproachs to a wall, it's similar to coop mode, looks like he's gonna break through the walls.
Maybe you could download some demos from the obvious thread, and look at them, I think that could help you in the future.

Or you could go to Facebook page and ask some advice to Lexus...
Thanks given by:
(24 Feb 14, 06:50PM)TheNihilanth Wrote: Edit: Do you realize cheaters, ex-cheaters and potential cheaters might read this if someone give you complete details on how to do so?
I think this should be treated privately with the person that attend this matters :I

....Good point.
Thanks given by:
(24 Feb 14, 07:05PM)hgf-arg Wrote: Or you could go to Facebook page and ask some advice to Lexus...

Let him focus on his sauer career pls, if you talk to him about AC he might be tempted to come back. Again.
Thanks given by:
Good cheaters are very difficult to detect . Often impossible .
Be 100 % sure is rare .

The idea is to ban common cheaters ...
See , in the past there was a Brazilian developer who tried to approach the subject. He made many tests with cheater .. asked for help from former cheaters and even asked for good players used the cheater .

The community hated it . He achieved some progress .. but it was painstakingly ( suffered ) .
See , something unexplainable is usually followed by , " was the lag "
The ... refresh rate of the screen and the quality of the demo and the fps lag and the time difference , and difference ... ping +300 .. etc ....

So I am in favor of specifcs servers for advanced players . BL and Whitelist ... I say again that the only thing that can protect a server of cheaters is the player's name . (reputation)

If a player is very good and is using a FAKE ( alias ) name, distrust quickly.

--- Also believe in knowledge dissemination . Open Source is knowledge sharing. It is important to share all existing knowledge about cheaters . This should come from the devs . Not only the devs , but all that can help.

The good always overcomes evil .
Thanks given by:
There's no point covering pro-level cheats, because, as others have said, the 'best' cheat will seem to be simply a very good player; it's undetectable.
If you've played enough AC games, you should be able to tell a good AC'er from a newer player. Things like jumping on to (or crouching behind) objects, moving backwards confidently through a map or finding pickups quickly, are great indicators for weeding out the experienced.
If a player isn't doing these things, but is consistently accurate and has a high ratio (especially if it's high compared to seemingly better players on his team), he's a good candidate for watching the demo in detail. You can't fake years of game-knowledge.
Thanks given by:
If they have a higher K/D ratio than you
Thanks given by:
(25 Feb 14, 12:50AM)Hellspell Wrote: If they have a higher K/D ratio than you

'Course, I accuse everyone better than me of hacking, but we all know 99% of that is bullshit. I'm talking about real hacking here...
Thanks given by:
(24 Feb 14, 06:27PM)Marti Wrote: aimbot, wallhack, flyhack
And Triggerbots... Really hard to catch though
For those of you who don't know what triggerbot is, its when your crosshair goes over an enemy, it will automatically shoot for them. If the players crosshair were to go over your an enemy player, it will start shooting and when his crosshair is off the guy, it will stop shooting. I would leave that for someone like Jamz to look for...
Thanks given by:
I know at least 2 players who act as professional players. And they are.
They know very well the maps, go back skillfully, know the times of the pickups, etc..
But it is known that the community complains that they are cheaters:

Wagner and .Dark

----- For years I'm hoping to find out where is the proof that they wore cheater.
Wagner said he used cheat many years ago (3 or 4) ... but even after the ban passed , he continued to be accused. And he is accused today. He was even banned from the forum. But other ex-cheaters are here freely.

I've seen decisions being taken in the game for emotional reasons. This is the problem. Therefore knowledge should be shared.
Thanks given by:
(25 Feb 14, 01:33AM)1Cap Wrote: I've seen decisions being taken in the game for emotional reasons. This is the problem. Therefore knowledge should be shared.
Nah, not really. The real problem is people accusing people of cheating when they don't have enough experience nor knowledge — or don't even have a clue — to know for sure that the player is cheating/hacking. I can't recall the amount of times I have heard random players in low-skilled servers blatantly condemning others of cheating, that's how rumors are sometimes spread, plus it makes you look like an ignorant fool. The solution? Try to share your concerns to someone else (who is reliable and has enough experience in the field of cheat detection or that has played AC enough years to detect cheating) privately. Even if you feel like it is obvious to your eyes, receive feedback from at least 1 or 2 other knowledgable players before you go make a fool of yourself, unless of course you are jamz or some shit like that.
Thanks given by:
ask jamz privately for his hit list and then watch demos of those players. to those used to the game (as jamz said) experience+luck=quality.

wallhack is often easy to detect because of where the player is aiming. people that are bad at wallhacking will start aiming before they come around a corner. triggerbot is super obvious because of spread implications of auto weapons and with single shot the player shouldnt miss. these of course are for people who do it badly.

most "pro" cheaters (if there are any) wont be detectable. there's all kinds of suspect shit that goes on and i've personally been accused many times. not commenting on that particularly, but for the sake of pubs, the discrepancy between subtle cheats and obvious cheats becomes less the more known cheaters you watch.

educate yourself, download a hack client and watch some demos. I personally love the actv client lucas released, you can almost see people reacting to their hack stimulus.
Thanks given by:
(25 Feb 14, 03:15AM)Waffles Wrote: download a hack client
f1
Thanks given by:
i never said use it online. get your hacks from a dev and get yourself edjumacated
Thanks given by:
(25 Feb 14, 03:15AM)Waffles Wrote: ...download a hack client...
I can't recommend NOT doing this strongly enough. Unless you want it to be you in 3 months time saying, "It was an accident. I downloaded it to catch cheats." Think now how it looks, because it will happen.
Thanks given by:
lol jamz speaks the truth
Thanks given by:
correct me if im wrong, but possessing a client is not the same as using it maliciously. therefore, using cheats to get accustomed to whats happening in your server or to see what others are talking about in the BL thread can be used purely as an educational tool. Obviously there are some people who would be tempted to use this in-game (i.e. xenon :D) but that doesnt mean it cant be a instrument to help as well.

By having a client released by someone that knows what they're doing, (lucas in the actv case) the "accidental use" problem can be eliminated as well. you have a hack client that is useless to actually play the game, but can provide useful information. maybe I wasn't being clear enough, but this doesnt seem to have any negative side.
Thanks given by:
[Image: LhaWeyp.png]
Thanks given by:
I strongly recommend that you install this client and test everything possible.
I actually recommend that all players who are trusted to install this client and learn how to find cheaters in the game.
will be almost impossible to use cheater in the game without being seen.
knowledge needs to be given to everyone. this will discourage many cheaters.

*** But see DO NOT USE CHEATER ONLINEI N GAME . DO NOT CHANGE YOUR CLIENT. FOLLOW THE RULES. dO Not harm the GAME!

But who is reliable? one, two, three people?

The more people who have the right knowledge, better justice will be done and applied.

--- Then it will not be just: Aimbot --- there will be an explanation of why the aimbot. all may, with propriety, check if it is really aimbot.
Thanks given by:
(25 Feb 14, 02:46PM)Waffles Wrote: correct me if im wrong, but possessing a client is not the same as using it maliciously.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drug_possession
Thanks given by:
Mouse, you've seen me play the game long enough. By watching me (or any other experienced player,as stated by jamz), you should see the difference(s) between a good player, and a total noobly-hacker. :P
Thanks given by:
I carry around an 8 ball of speed all the time. Dont see anything wrong with it.
Thanks given by:
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The new anticheat --if you personally host-- will tell you even if someone bursts a few extra bullets or throw a nade a little further.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I have found it is very touchy so do not totally trust it.
Thanks given by:
(24 Feb 14, 08:21PM)Marti Wrote: Let him focus on his sauer career pls

i sense a bright future for him :D
Thanks given by:
(25 Feb 14, 01:33AM)1Cap Wrote: Wagner and .Dark

if you were really searching, you would have found evidence a hundred times over.
Thanks given by:
Thank you. This really is the point to which I refer. I do not want evidence .. want proof.
110% sure. Where, when, how and why.

...Following the topic.
Thanks given by:
Evidence = proof ?
Thanks given by: