Trying to understand autodownload
What is the difference in handling of custom maps and assets between 1.1 and 1.2? Here's a common situation when playing a custom map in 1.2. In this screenshot, I've used /getmap, but the same happens when I allow the client to automatically download it.

[Image: ZsJBcOX.jpg]

In 1.1, there was no such problem on the same map. The client simply downloaded the map (given autogetmap 1) and everything appeared as intended with no need to download additional assets. In that screenshot there should be a ladder, for example. What changed? Was that asset included in 1.1 but not 1.2 by default? Were such items included in the map in previous versions but exist separately now? What can be done to fix such a situation?

Where is the client getting the paths to those files? Is that in the map data? It seems "mitaman" only has one thing:

http://us.ac-akimbo.net/packages/textures/mitaman/

ac_mojave is in the list of maps that are supposed to work with autodownload. This problem was also seen on ac_polar, which is in the list as well:

http://ac-akimbo.net/showthread.php?tid=112

Thanks
Thanks given by:
I found that if you don't have full read and write permissions, I have the same issue. However chmod 777 or full read and write perms to ac fixed my problem with the auto downloading of maps.

In 1.1, maps auto downloaded from the server directly and you had to get any used custom content ( models or textures) manually. In 1.2, custom textures became available using 3rd party servers to fill in custom map content that the server may not have.
Thanks given by:
nothing to do with autodownload itself.

some maps are not compatible with AC 1.2 and server owners don't bother converting.
(which, again, has nothing to do with autdownload, the new packaging structure was implemented for different reasons).

/getmap works the same as before (download the current map, FROM THE CURRENT AC SERVER)
/getmap $arg1, however, is new, and will download map $arg1 FROM AKIMBO SERVERS

If you're having troubles with maps that were uploaded on akimbo it's likely because some of the files were not uploaded with the map when it was validated, despite our efforts to test every map.
I'd say, please report it in this case, but you need to make sure first that you download akimbo's version of the map, doing :
/getmap ac_polar (for example)
rather than /getmap on a server playing polar, because doing that will (as it used to) download the map from the current AC server you're playing on.
Thanks given by:
So yes, i can conrim that akimbo versions of ac_mojave and ac_polar are fine.
you downloaded those map from misconfigured AC servers (with incompatible versions).
so, it's not an autodownload/akimbo issue. blame the server owners.

if you want to test by yourself: go offline, type /getmap ac_polar and vote it, it'll be fine.
Thanks given by:
Thanks.

Yes, I'm using "/getmap ac_map" rather than just "/getmap" when this happens.

I was on my own server in this case. What exactly is misconfigured? I had already successfully run this script against the maps on the server: http://bpaste.net/raw/165102/

Is there something else I need to do?

I'll play with file permissions on the client side but since I'm getting an HTTP 404 that doesn't seem relevant.

Edit: I didn't change anything yet but now I can't reproduce the problem. :P
Thanks given by:
imo the best way is to use akimbo's versions of maps as much as possible.
these maps are usually the most common versions, they can be easily fixed if needed, and it prevents several downloads of the map every time someone joins a different server with this map in particular.

it is one of the reasons we put so much effort into akimbo. (more compatibility and accessibility). Also, it should be easier for you server owners.

i may even code something to allow server owners to download a set of maps of their choice in one single zip package; for now you can download them here (FR) or here (US) but be careful, these are the autodownload compatible packages, which means cfg and cgz are zipped together for each map.
Thanks given by: