ac freezes
Hi,

recently I've updated my older version of assaultcube to the new version.
From that moment, every time I play multiplayer, assaultcube freezes.
Sometimes It freezes directly after connecting to a server, sometimes I can play for 20 minutes before it freezes. I can do nothing: I can't move my mouse, I can't close ac so I have to restart my pc.

Anyone any ideas?

ps: I'm using ubuntu12.04

Thanks!
Thanks given by:
We would probably need to see console output to start finding the problem.

For now, when it hangs, instead of restarting the PC, try this:

Press Ctrl-Alt-F1 to drop to terminal, and log in.

Type "ps aux | grep linux" and find the line that has "linux_client" or "linux_64_client". This is AssaultCube. The first number in the line, after your username, is the PID, e.g., 32000.

Kill the process: "kill -9 32000".

Press Ctrl-Alt-F7 to return to X.
Thanks given by:
(01 Jan 14, 03:42PM)Jack Wrote: We would probably need to see console output to start finding the problem.

For now, when it hangs, instead of restarting the PC, try this:

Type "ps aux | grep linux" and find the line that has "linux_client" or "linux_64_client". This is AssaultCube. The first number in the line, after your username, is the PID, e.g., 32000.

If you know what it's called can't you just killall -9 linux_client?
Thanks given by:
Yeah, I'd tried that before but it didn't seem to work. Must have been doing something wrong. Either way then. :P
Thanks given by:
[Image: thread-again-jpg.36812]
Really, I would like to help you but I have some problems in this version myself.
Thanks given by:
(01 Jan 14, 03:42PM)Jack Wrote: For now, when it hangs, instead of restarting the PC, try this:

so I tried this, and it worked. thank:)

(01 Jan 14, 03:42PM)Jack Wrote: We would probably need to see console output to start finding the problem.
What commands do I have to use for the needed console output? I have no idea how I get that? Is it with the terminal?

Thanks,
morg
Thanks given by:
I had the same issue on Ubuntu. Worked fine in other distros (like Mint) though.
Thanks given by:
(02 Jan 14, 09:35PM)morg Wrote: What commands do I have to use for the needed console output? I have no idea how I get that? Is it with the terminal?

Yeah, if you'll run 'assaultcube' from a graphical terminal (it's in the menu somewhere there, under System or something), that'll stay open after AC hangs and you kill it, and then we can see what happened last.
Thanks given by:
(02 Jan 14, 10:22PM)Jack Wrote:
(02 Jan 14, 09:35PM)morg Wrote: What commands do I have to use for the needed console output? I have no idea how I get that? Is it with the terminal?

Yeah, if you'll run 'assaultcube' from a graphical terminal (it's in the menu somewhere there, under System or something), that'll stay open after AC hangs and you kill it, and then we can see what happened last.

mh,

I always run ac by using terminal. But when I do kill it, I have to login again, and all open windows are closed. Also the terminal. So i can't see what my terminal was telling...

I suppose I'm doing something wrong,:

I start ac by clicking assaultcube.sh (I downloaded the new version and extracted it on my desktop, didn't really need to install it?)
it asks me to run with terminal or just run: I click on "run with terminal"
Ac starts, I can play for a while, then it freezes.

ctrl+alt+F1
enter my login and password
ps aux | grep linux
kill -9 .... (.... =id of the assaultcubetask/process)

need to login again
No terminalwindow open

what is it I'm doing wrong?

Thanks,
morg

I just found that if I use kill -15 terminal stays opened.
As soon as AC freezes, I will drop the terminal text here
Thanks given by:
Or, instead of clicking assaultcube.sh manually, open a terminal, cd to the directory that holds assaultcube.sh, and then type ./assaultcube.sh.
Thanks given by:
yes i cd to the directory now instead of clicking assaultcube.sh...

but alas, I got AC crashed, then I tried to kill it with : kill-15 but that didn't work, so I had to use kill-9, but every time I use kill-9 I need to login again, so terminal closes also.

Any other ideas?
Thanks given by:
I've heard that ac_arctic leads to freezing.
Thanks given by:
(05 Jan 14, 05:47PM)morg Wrote: yes i cd to the directory now instead of clicking assaultcube.sh...

but alas, I got AC crashed, then I tried to kill it with : kill-15 but that didn't work, so I had to use kill-9, but every time I use kill-9 I need to login again, so terminal closes also.

Any other ideas?

Do the below for a 64-bit machine, note how it's run in windowed mode so you don't have to drop to a shell if it crashes:
cd /path/to/assaultcube/directory
sudo apt-get install gdb -y && gdb bin_unix/linux_64_client
run -t -wSCREENWIDTH -hSCREENHEIGHT

Now, if it crashes... type "bt" for a backtrace and post it here. Typing "q" will quit gdb for you.
Thanks given by:
Ya know what? I"m surprised no one asked this yet. What DE are you running? Unity? Gnome? KDE? Something else?
Thanks given by:
(06 Jan 14, 02:06AM)Mousikos Wrote: Ya know what? I"m surprised no one asked this yet. What DE are you running? Unity? Gnome? KDE? Something else?

It doesn't matter.
Thanks given by: