empty servers & map names
When you scroll a list of servers and reach a whole bunch of empty ones, it doesn't display the mapname. It will display only when people are playing in it.

Would it bring more players to servers if people could see the mapname even of an empty server? (Say somebody decides to camp inside that particular map maybe because, i dunno, it's pretty.)

I kind of have an idea like automatically setting the server description to include the map name every rotation.

/serverdesc ServerDescription - Current Map: (curmap 1)
or something like that
Thanks given by:
As far as I'm aware, an empty server doesn't really have a map to display because it doesn't choose one from the maprot until someone joins. Notice how when you join and empty server, then leave and join again, it starts a new match.

Though I could be wrong on that, so don't quote me on it.
Thanks given by:
Every time you connect to an empty server it will change the map. I'm thinking it doesn't really choose one until a player connects.
Thanks given by:
Yes you're right. The serverlog will look like the following. As you can see the server starts a match each time the first player connects and does not have a map loaded and match running when no one is connected.

Quote:jack@old-rusty ~/assaultcube $ ./server.sh [start server]
reading commandline parameters from file 'config/servercmdline.txt'
logging started: console(INFO), file(DISABLED), syslog(INFO, "AssaultCube[local#8020]", local6), timestamp(DISABLED)
logging local AssaultCube server (version 1102, protocol 1130/104) now..
read 6 map rotation entries from 'config/maprot.cfg'
read 2 admin passwords from 'config/serverpwd.cfg'
read 903 (1023) blacklist entries from 'config/serverblacklist.cfg', 0 errors
read 0 + 0 entries from nickname blacklist file 'config/nicknameblacklist.cfg', 0 errors
dedicated server started, waiting for clients...
Ctrl-C to exit
looking up assault.cubers.net...
master server registration succeeded

[connect to server]
[x.x.x.x] client connected
[x.x.x.x] Bean logged in (default), AC: 1102|804
Map height density information for ac_douze: H = 10.80 V = 482626, A = 44669 and MA = 5606

Game start: one shot, one kill on ac_douze, 1 players, 15 minutes, mastermode 0, (map rev 17/5732, official, 'getmap' not prepared)
Demo recording started.

[disconnect from server]
[x.x.x.x] disconnected client Bean cn 0, 3 seconds played, score saved
Demo discarded.

[reconnect and new match starts]
[x.x.x.x] client connected
[x.x.x.x] Bean logged in (default), AC: 1102|804
Map height density information for ac_desert: H = 11.23 V = 266445, A = 23719 and MA = 2005

Game start: one shot, one kill on ac_desert, 1 players, 15 minutes, mastermode 0, (map rev 1/12018, official, 'getmap' not prepared)
Demo recording started.
Thanks given by:
Thank you for your replies.

What I can confirm is that it will get a map from the maprot.cfg on first
initializing the server, but as stated above won't go into intermission until a client connects. resetserverifempty() thus won't change the map.

I'll get back and see if I can do a workaround without recompiling the server exe
and see if the description change works or not.
Thanks given by:
If you want to idle in a certain map, pick any empty server that has it (or allows you to upload it) and vote it in. Or is this too simple a solution?
Thanks given by: