How to play like legacy
I thought some people might like this :)

Core ideas
  • Always aim to at least equal your enemy - repeating the same play is fine
  • When attacking consider only whether it serves your interest - winning by 1 flag is as good as 20

Common ideas
  • Strictly one player per side
  • Check all sneak spots, freespectate while dead to eliminate what you can, call to your teammates to discover players; in general every position should be called
  • Angle-abuse, spread is so large it gains significant advantage
  • Bait corners so you come around the corner expecting your enemy and gain a small reaction-time advantage
  • Generally defend far enough outside your base so that if you are killed you will respawn before they pickup your flag
  • Stagger respawns when your opponents are attacking in your base: that is, keep pressure on their offense with 1 player and keep remaining players angle abusing

Novel ideas
  • Keep laggers on defense for added advantage - more generally put players where they like to play
  • Don't aim for the flag when attacking with bad chances, just damage your enemies so they are weak for later
  • Always synchronise the attack so multiple enemies die together
  • There should be a single "caller" as per other competitive games - s/he makes all strategic decisions, players make all minor tactical decisions
  • If winning or drawing, once in pushed-out defensive position, players should gain advantage by waiting for their enemies to push
  • Here is the part which is hard to describe: the caller must decide based on how those attacks went whether to push or defend. If you are winning or drawing, probably defend; if you are losing be more agressive
  • You now have two fights going on, one fight challenging for each flag! But the caller has set us up to feel MORE confident
  • If our attacking players win their fight and take the flag, our defenders (if any) come out to help. The careful balance is assessing the threat to your own flag versus the chance to stop any alive enemies from returning their stolen flag
  • If our attacking subteam has lost before our defending subteam has engaged then our defending subteam now ONLY have to delay their opponents until their teammates respawn
  • For the reason above, our attacking subteam should attack QUICKLY
  • Unless desperate, don't try sneaking - good teams will check
  • Sometimes rotating players after your opponents challenge you is good, for example to maximise HP packs used.
  • Some maps are not closed, in the sense that you can't form a watertight seal around your base. In those, specific tactics were used. For example, in mines in 2v2 as RVSF one player pushing and one holding the 50 shield and rotating between that and the 25 shield works well; by the room near RVSF's 50 shield, you can hear players on the right and see all the way across to the left
  • Almost all maps are closed in 3v3
  • When you have spare players over (only 2 sides, but 3v3) you have a few choices. On desert3 or acqueous as RVSF, keep 1 player just outside your base but constantly back and the other two put pressure on different sides. This is like a compromise between how we defend in the middle and how we defend an imminent attack to our base
  • Countering fast pushing teams? Some teams try to stop you getting into a comfortable middle camping defense. If they push very quickly their sync will be out, and they stand little chance of taking a flag. It also leaves their defense weak and vulnerable to a well-timed counter.
  • The aim when we can't gain any advantage is simply to reduce the game to the status quo. As a special benefit this often makes teams frustrated which boosted our morale and encouraged them to make risky play we CAN gain advantage from.

This post is incomplete.
Thanks given by:
oh, nice! I needed to learn some stuff before I could play competitively :D
Thanks given by:
I sense a reason this is in 'Offtopic'.
Thanks given by:
i love this
good job larry
how long did this bad boy take you to conjour
Thanks given by:
Thought everyone disliked legacy
Thanks given by:
Isn't this how almost every team plays nowadays anyway? :D

Nice guide though!
Thanks given by:
(18 Nov 13, 11:41AM)Xenon Wrote: i love this
good job larry
how long did this bad boy take you to conjour

About 30 minutes. :)

(18 Nov 13, 04:59PM)Vanquish Wrote: Isn't this how almost every team plays nowadays anyway? :D

So you learnt nothing new? Also I don't see rC play anything like how we played.

Also may I add, this strategy sucks if you aren't 100% strict applying it!
Thanks given by:
Literally every team adheres to the "core" and "common" ideas, the "novel" section is merely for different types of situations.

And no, I personally learnt nothing new, but that's because you already drilled all this into everyone in the old aG times (even if I was much worse and not able to do this stuff effectively back then).
Thanks given by:
(18 Nov 13, 11:24AM)jamz Wrote: I sense a reason this is in 'Offtopic'.

I expected flaming honestly. :)

(18 Nov 13, 05:51PM)Vanquish Wrote: Literally every team adheres to the "core" and "common" ideas, the "novel" section is merely for different types of situations.

And no, I personally learnt nothing new, but that's because you already drilled all this into everyone in the old aG times (even if I was much worse and not able to do this stuff effectively back then).

All the "novel ideas" (which is a bit of a grand term truth be told but I'm not sure what else to call it) together make an almost complete strategy by going through what to do in each situation.

Also before legacy many core and common ideas weren't usual but I admit they're extremely common now so I grouped them to acknowledge that. Also one or two of the "novel ideas" many players know about but I put them there because they aren't consistently done in practice.
Thanks given by:
(18 Nov 13, 05:47PM)Roflcopter Wrote: Also may I add, this strategy sucks if you aren't 100% strict applying it!

so you never 100% strictly apply this?

OH DAMN DAT TROLL

:D
Thanks given by:
(18 Nov 13, 07:54PM)Marti Wrote:
(18 Nov 13, 05:47PM)Roflcopter Wrote: Also may I add, this strategy sucks if you aren't 100% strict applying it!

so you never 100% strictly apply this?

OH DAMN DAT TROLL

:D

Yeah, pretty much at least in the last year or so.
Thanks given by:
its hard to find players to play that way now consistently. I find that human error and defensive strategy opens up the attack. ex-legacy players freaking out when something goes amiss and have to defend a different side leading them to get shot. From a theory perspective it is perfect, but there is a wide margin of error to be exploited.

in the new version, this may be more effective though as TTK (time to kill) is vastly greater. I don't see any team playing like this. Usually its some bastardization of syncing attack and spawn timings.
Thanks given by:
(18 Nov 13, 08:26PM)Waffles Wrote: its hard to find players to play that way now consistently. I find that human error and defensive strategy opens up the attack. ex-legacy players freaking out when something goes amiss and have to defend a different side leading them to get shot. From a theory perspective it is perfect, but there is a wide margin of error to be exploited.

in the new version, this may be more effective though as TTK (time to kill) is vastly greater. I don't see any team playing like this. Usually its some bastardization of syncing attack and spawn timings.

Waffles gets it 100%. :D

I would only add with a lot of practice that margin of error can approach 0 nicely. That is, you get to control your own fate depending on the mistakes you make. That is personally why I love the strategy, I like to be in complete control of everything.

tldr; It's the only strategy I know that is counter-strategy-agnostic. Only your mistakes matter, much less how the enemy plays.
Thanks given by:
This style of playing is boring.
Thanks given by:
me sephr undefeated 2v2
challenge us plz
Thanks given by:
Except by me and Jason <3
Thanks given by:
I think you forgot the part where you need a Razer Abyssus.
Thanks given by:
lol @ Fate

I was going to say what Vanquish said there, every decent team atleast knows about all of these point - if they can apply all of them in a real match is something different
Thanks given by:
So true, Rob. If I could play like I do 1% of the time, 100% of the time, I'd be unstoppable.
Thanks given by:
(18 Nov 13, 09:39AM)Roflcopter Wrote: [*]Keep laggers on defense for added advantage
How does keeping laggers on defense give advantages to that team. Only one I have never applied to my matches.
Thanks given by:
(21 Nov 13, 05:12AM)bballn45 Wrote:
(18 Nov 13, 09:39AM)Roflcopter Wrote: [*]Keep laggers on defense for added advantage
How does keeping laggers on defense give advantages to that team.

More chance both players die, which is a good result in defence but not in attack.

(21 Nov 13, 05:12AM)bballn45 Wrote: Only one I have never applied to my matches.

Of course sometimes you will do each of these things, but I doubt you've ever done it consistently as an intentional strategy. Send me a demo! :)
Thanks given by:
Well I am usually the lagger and I'm not a defensive player. Doesn't this not work in 1.2.0.2 because I feel like they did something to make it worse for laggers. In 1.1.0.4, there was some advantages to lagging.
Thanks given by:
I don't know of any such changes.
Thanks given by:
Wel basically, you can traduce a 3v3 match with a "psychologic fight" in first, and everything on stats that are showed as disadvantages can be used in your own team advantage (you have less kills? then you spawn more and have a stronger defense // you have less flags, let the opponent's think they are winning already and then try to surprise them) but all this doesn't always work, there is no ultimate strategies, plus I'm not sure Legacy were following the 2nd last rule.

A 3v3 CTF is not interresting if both teams don't take any risks to win or to take a flag, when your teammate dies, don't come back and defend his side, just because everyone can do that, do you imagine all matches like this? No, let him spawn and face to face the opponent one more time (it doesn't work on small maps like ac_gothic ofc) just try to progress on your own lane and take the flag, anyway, naturally, the opponent who killed your teammate don't want to kill you directly, he will try to take your flag because killing you would just make you spawn with 100 hp, in your base. If the opponent comes back to kill you, well it's a retard, or maybe the opponents are winning with a huge and safe gap.

You have to know how smart are your opponents before the match starts, you have to know who will go left/right/mid and the general behavior of each players (if he's a good fragger, if he plays sneaky, if he rushes the flag and let the opponents going to your base) Of course, I would not let someone taking my flag, but if it allows me to grab the enemy flag and to go away with it, well something interresting will happen, and the real strategy will be in the anticipation and the improvisation of each teams, the flag-owners who dies first is not always the loser, it all depends of both teams strategies, those strategies can not be written on a forum, it just can be played in matches.
Thanks given by: