Poll: Are you scared of dying eventually?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Yes
30.00%
12 30.00%
No
55.00%
22 55.00%
Maybe
15.00%
6 15.00%
Total 40 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Are you scared of dying?
See title
Thanks given by:
I see you're in a bit of a morbid mood tonight from your threads. :(

Well, in this one, you asked two different questions. The thread title is "are you scared of dying?", whereas the poll title is "Are you scared of dying eventually?", and I think the two are very different questions.
Everyone dies eventually, so obsessing over how or when or why it will happen is meaningless. I know some people that say they would find it liberating to know exactly when and how they will die, but I think it's ridiculous. It's useless to worry about something that will inevitably happen to everyone since nobody is in a position whereby they are or will be able to conquer mortality in the foreseeable future. Presuming you die in your sleep at an old age (as an example), you have no sight, no sound, and you feel nothing. It's a painless way to go and to be honest, you won't even know you're "gone". Is this what you mean when you say "dying eventually" ? Because I'm not scared of that (although obviously I enjoy life and don't want it to end).

Per contra, the verb "dying" on its own could be used to describe an innumerable number of frightful ways to meet your end. I'm sure most people wouldn't be scared of the notion of "falling asleep forever", whereas others would be scared of being flayed to death with a rusty scythe. I'm not sure one can be truly afraid of dying, since none of us know what it means to die (except fear of the unknown, perhaps?). It's merely the pain that's often associated with death that really scares most of us.

tl;dr - I selected "maybe" because the question is ambiguous.
Thanks given by:
im fearless of death that arrives instantly, yet i fear for death when he waits
Thanks given by:
I'll have my brain uploaded into a humanoid android in 30 years. Death doesn't exist.
Thanks given by:
(13 Nov 13, 12:38AM)Vanquish Wrote: I see you're in a bit of a morbid mood tonight from your threads. :(

I'm actually the smallest amount drunk, so I'm happy!

(13 Nov 13, 12:42AM)Cemer Wrote: im fearless of death that arrives instantly, yet i fear for death when he waits

Nice quote!
Thanks given by:
More than scared, I am sad that it's an inevitable process in life for humans since there is so much out there and around you in the world; you really only have 65-75 years to make the most out of your life. It depresses me a bit when I think about it.
Thanks given by:
I'm not necessarily scared of dying as I am of how I would die (or how painful it would be).
Thanks given by:
lolyep
Especially this early on, and I think I have plenty of living ahead of me. So yes, yes I am.
Thanks given by:
no as long as it's fast and not painful, and it's part of life somewhere.
Thanks given by:
(13 Nov 13, 12:42AM)Cemer Wrote: im fearless of death that arrives instantly, yet i fear for death when he waits

I agree, very nice quote too.
Thanks given by:
Are you bored?
Thanks given by:
we all are going to the same "hole", it is part of the nature so..

I'm more scared of braking one of my bones, that is why I don't practice extreme sports. :P
Thanks given by:
i fear nothing.
Thanks given by:
I'm I scared of dying? Depends... there are quite a few situations when I would answer Yes and in others No.
Thanks given by:
depends how i die, i would rather be shot than die of like cancer or something
Thanks given by:
(14 Nov 13, 11:26PM)kleinkariert Wrote: i fear nothing.
*giggle*
Thanks given by:
Nope.
Thanks given by:
I'm scared of boredom. Imagine: being immortal and live forever, how BORING it would be.
Thanks given by:
YOLO
Thanks given by:
You live everyday, you only die once.
Thanks given by:
[Image: cousmism.jpg]
Thanks given by:
No.

Even if I die the most painful death I could imagine, at the end of it I'm dead. I'm not worried about spending eternity bemoaning how horrible my death was.

I don't believe in any form of afterlife. Once you're dead you're dead. You cease existing. You are erased. From your perspective it's as if you never existed because your perspective no longer exists. Whatever suffering you went through is over the moment you die.

Without a perspective it's impossible to regret the fact that you died. It's impossible to regret how you died.

If there's no chance of regret and if your suffering effectively never happened then what should you be afraid of?
Thanks given by:
I'm more scared to be teamkilled on AC than IRL...
Thanks given by:
Only if I am going to get spawn killed...HA
Thanks given by:
I am. Well not the dying itself but
what happens after that. I would happily be immortal.
Thanks given by:
Not the death part, just the physical pain that accompanies the result. Instead I'm intrigued by it. I wonder what happens to the thing that makes me me, from my point of view. Maybe I inherit another corporeal form. Maybe I act out my role as this character in the great cosmic play again and again, and I will never know that I have performed exactly this for infinity before now and will continue to do so for infinity after now. Maybe I will cease to exist. The game ends and there's no game over, not even a black screen. Just pure unimaginable nothing.
But I'm in no rush to find out, to be honest (or not find out as the case me be). I'm enjoying this level and I want to have all the fun I can before I go on to the next, because in this game you can't restart the mission. For all we know. Assuming there is a next mission. Just forget it.
Thanks given by:
Yes, no, maybe, i don't know, can you repeat the question?
Thanks given by: