Masterserver down every day?
Hi guys,

I haven't been on for ages, as many know I'm back to lss for a couple of months now. Great to see so many great oldschool players still around!

There is one problem though, the masterserver seems to be down every now and then and it's not down for a few minutes but many times even most of the day. Problem became even deeper now, we can't even connect without refreshing the masterserver, which locks us out from the game, confirmed with 1 more player on IRC.

I hope the masterserver can be fixed, moved to a better server, better protected...

We all will be thankful,
Thanks given by:
i'm being ddosed every day.
and i don't have enough money to get better protections.

i filed a complaint a few days ago and got the return receipt.
it's now in justice hands.
Thanks given by:
Hope they will find the hacker... thanks for the answer.
Thanks given by:
ddos is not really hacking though
Thanks given by:
All you have to do is refresh server list which takes a few seconds.

And you just camp out in the -KUT- LSS ladder, so why do you even need the master server list?
Thanks given by:
(19 Oct 13, 01:12PM)Rainbow Wrote: All you have to do is refresh server list which takes a few seconds.

Sometimes it's not enough and you must restart the game.
Thanks given by:
Yes, it has happened to me a couple times, never during a game though.
Always afterwards or when you try join another server during a game.

This problem, annoying as it is, can be put up with until the DDoS'ing stops.
At least we an contact the master server at all, the previous DDoS for minutes at a time sometime an hour the master server was down.

Hopefully the DDoS'ers can piss off back down a the hole they crawled out from some time soon.
Thanks given by:
(19 Oct 13, 07:31PM)Rainbow Wrote: Hopefully the DDoS'ers can piss off back down a the hole they crawled out from some time soon.
^ It's quite annoying to not be able to play pubs - bots lss ftw
Thanks given by:
lol

note that whoever they are, they must be jobless or something; they do it quite often and they have nothing more interesting to do :|
Thanks given by:
Luc@s - I am kind of a web host noob, so forgive me....But would it be possible to create mirrors for the MS?
I truly apologize if this is a stupid question, but I would bet a few server owners (myself included) would be more than happy to offer up hosting and bandwidth if this was a possibility....
EDIT: I think I may have answered my own question, as the masterserver is not like a web page, but rather an actual running server....So no?
If that is the case, wouldn't it be possible to develop the -m option to allow answering to multiple servers? (Not saying it is likely, just if it is possible?)
Thanks given by:
we're indeed working on redundant hosting
Thanks given by:
Hello Luc@s, it's been a fairly long time since I actually involved myself with the AC community and such.

In any case, I have a server hosted at RamNode which had been the best server experience for me. They offer SSD servers with DDoS-Protection capabilities for under $30-$40 any time of the day, maybe you could take a look at that?

http://ramnode.com
Thanks given by:
(10 Nov 13, 01:06PM)SupposedlyFlare Wrote: Hello Luc@s, it's been a fairly long time since I actually involved myself with the AC community and such.

In any case, I have a server hosted at RamNode which had been the best server experience for me. They offer SSD servers with DDoS-Protection capabilities for under $30-$40 any time of the day, maybe you could take a look at that?

http://ramnode.com

Note that DDoS mitigating is only available in Seattle
Thanks given by:
Nonetheless, I have been their customer for a few months now, close to perfect uptime and awesome performances. Their customer support is also top-grade, so you can get a reply within 12 hrs or even 6 hrs
Thanks given by:
Some players cannot even connect in servers...
MasterShit!
Good luck to fix these problems.
Thanks given by:
very nice and helpful
Thanks given by:
(17 Nov 13, 04:59PM)Krayce Wrote: Some players cannot even connect in servers...
MasterShit!
Good luck to fix these problems.

Nice idea but I think I got one better.

Luc@s and other AC devs:
I am in the process of connecting with some companies that are interested in offering protection against these attacks; however, this may take some time and/or may not work out. On the other hand, I will do my best. :)

In the mean time:
My recommendation: Even Cloud Flare's free or low cost protection is still better than nothing, and they have proven to do wonders for some companies that are allied with where I work. ;)
Thanks given by:
CloudFlare's protection is superb, but they do not offer custom port routing, only 80/443, best chances is going on something greater, like Staminus or something, the price may be quite high, but it could be worthed it
Thanks given by:
cloudflare is not an ultimate protection. Anyway, it doesn't cover every kind of service. AC doesn't work with websites (HTTP) only.
Thanks given by:
Yep, CloudFlare mostly works only for web services running on 80/443, but really Luc@s, the only way to counter your problem is either to get a DDoS-Protected IP, or somehow fashion a redundant hosting for the masterserver, preferably with people you trust not to mess up or such. Some of us server owners really want to help out, but until redundant hosting comes out, we can't do jack shit
Thanks given by:
we know this already, but setting up a redundant hosting compatible system takes time (and money) so be patient
so far, the only way to help is to donate (afaik, we haven't got anything for months?)
Thanks given by:
(17 Nov 13, 05:32PM)Luc@s Wrote: very nice and helpful
(18 Nov 13, 05:52AM)rampage.wd Wrote: Nice idea
Thank's guys, always here to help and give feedback about masterserver problem. kkk!
Conclusion: No money= no protection.
Anyway, I can't donate atm...
...but soon for sure!
Thanks given by:
Fair enough, no hurry though, something tells me the culprit is bored already. Haven't seen the master server go down for quite some time...
Thanks given by:
(19 Nov 13, 05:51PM)Krayce Wrote: ...I can't donate atm...
...but soon for sure!
No offence intended Krayce, but you've been so bloody rude on here recently, that I'll return any money you donate.
Thanks given by:
Yay, maybe rude this time but i still respect AC/Dev work, don't read my posts to the first degree. I can give hidden message behind some criticism aspect (it's more about player frustration than a real offense...)
You have just to know that I was never offensive against the game development since his first version;
Anyway, I can just wish the best of luck to resolve these problems so!

PS: No problem about donation, a friend of mine already donated.
Thanks given by: