[mapmodel] movable door
hello

it's a low poly door size 5x7 that can be use just front a wall, or open

it comes with 3 alternate textures for more versatility (? not sure of that word)

here are the screenshots:

the doors (1 open, 1 close, you can put all two close or open as you want)

[Image: door01.jpg]

With the alternate blue texture, half open

[Image: door01_blue.jpg]

returns are welcome ! :)

and the three alternate textures:

[Image: door_alternate.jpg]

the file is downloadable here
Thanks given by:
This looks really good!

Though, I don't understand why you put a height of 7. A door really should be of 8 cubes height. The width of 5 is OK, but 6 would be better in my opinion.

I guess you could scale it up to 6x8, while keeping the current UV-map, without noticeable distortions on the skin. On the other hand, you could make better use of the UV-map anyways. There's quite a huge space left blank on the right side. For example, you could have doubled the handle's part and I'm actually missing the caps of those mounts.
Thanks given by:
"you could have doubled the handle's part and I'm actually missing the caps of those mounts"

sorry mr Floppy, i don't understand this sentence...

for the dimension,it is true that i'm a little bit boring of modeling 8 by 8 for floors, doors and else... i thought that 7x5 or 7x10 could change and break the regularity of maps

and 7 height is largely enough view to the height of player models

in fact, view to my part, a 8 squares height door is a door of 2m50 in true life... just my feeling

but if you think it's better...

for 6x larger, i will see if it do not cause matters for put a door in diagonal...

anyway, thank's for your return :)
Thanks given by:
Well, here's a screenshot which may just explain it best. ;)

Actually I get your point that sometimes things look more interesting if it doesn't fit the grid. Unfortunatelly, this also makes things look somewhat 'wrong' rather easily. In the end its up to you, but staying with grid sizes also makes things a whole lot easier for mappers.

Nontheless you've done a great job there.
Keep it up!
Thanks given by:
Great work!
Go on like that.
Thanks given by:
what did you done if you were in my place ?
Thanks given by:
Boeufmironton, ce que Mr.Floppy veut expliquer (ainsi que mon avis perso) c'est que (1) sur certaines faces (hinge caps) les coordonnées UV laissent à désirer, (2) tu aurais pu mieux exploiter la surface de ta skin pour un meilleur rendu, (3) la charnière également aurait pu le faire avec plus de réalisme plutôt qu'une simple barre noire.

[Image: I8QMum4.jpg]

Sinon dans l'ensemble je suis aussi pour des dimensions moins classiques, du moment que cela ne cloche pas avec le reste du décor.
Thanks given by:
ok, i remap the skin, remade all skins (and created some more)

change a little bit the model (adding a box) but diden't touch to the dimensions: i tried, but the doors become really too big, and i like this idea that we can break regularity.

tell me if it's better

[Image: alternate_doors.jpg]

the file: HERE
Thanks given by: