Screenshot file can not be wrote (1.1)
When I install using my documents (as advised for windows 7) I get the problem that when I take a screenshot it simply doesn't appear in the specified folder. So I reinstalled regularly and then I found that I cannot get maps. It comes up could not write packages/maps/nameofmap and then could not read packages/maps/nameofmap, and repeats over and over, both of which are in red type. Then I did this stupid thing where I tried to fix it myself thinking, 'it must be because something is read only' and I decided to right click c drive go to properties, saw read only was a blue square, changed it to an empty square and then clicked ok. It started doing something, there was a rapidly filling green bar and then I decided it wasn't a good idea and cancelled when it was nearly finished. Have I fucked up my laptop by doing that?
So I reinstalled using documents again, screenshots still doesn't work and now I'm having a hellish time getting told I can't save a file to /sounds/ambient because I need to be admin, which I am. I never had that problem before where practically anything I do to AssaultCube in program files it comes I need to contact the Administrator.
Also the cfg to the map I'm making with custom ambient sounds has gone missing. I can search for it inside /packages/maps and it comes up, but when I click to edit or open, apparently it doesn't exist. Two new empty folders recently appeared in C drive with long names of random numbers and letters, and also a lone file called "end', no extension, and when I clicked properties it was 14 bytes (or something like that) and the file type was 'file'.

I've uninstalled AC for the mean time until someone can give me solutions, and tell me what adverse affects un-blueing the read only box in the properties of c drive has caused, if any.

Thanks in advance.
Thanks given by:
Nah, that won't mess anything up really. If you're unsure about what you're going to try, you can always create a system restore point before you experiment.

http://imgur.com/MSOi6e7

Use that option in the installer and it should store config and screenshots and such in your user directory, where you have write permissions, but if some things still don't work, open the command prompt and enter exactly:

cacls "C:\Program Files\AssaultCube_v1.1.0.4" /T /P %USERNAME%:F

Since you're in Win7 you'll need to enter 'cmd' in the start menu search field, wait for it to appear, then right-click it and Run as Administrator. If you're on a 64-bit PC, you may need 'Program Files (x86)' instead.
Thanks given by:
So what exactly does happen when I cancel during the green bar? have a portion of files in folders now been made writable (hopefully that makes sense to you, it doesn't to me) and some haven't? Or has it cancelled all progress towards that altogether, even though it said it was nearly completed. Always wondered what would happen.

I've reinstalled, before I start anything AC1.1 in my documents contains an empty screenshots, a folder called packages containing a subfolder maps (empty) and config containing servers, saved and init (all cfg). Is everything in order? There is also a servers cfg in program files x86, is there a reason that's there?

Will now test screenshots using your advice.

I didn't have to do a firstrun for some reason, it remembered my last name in game somehow, got a win 32 exception as soon as I pressed a button though. Will try again.

Okay so I did cacls "C:\Program Files (x86)\AssaultCube_v1.1.0.4" /T /P %USERNAME%:F
then answered Yes to are you sure and it processed a ton of files so I'm guessing it did what it was meant to do. But still when I take a screenshot, and it writes to screenshots in documents, it is empty. What's going on there?
This info may be relevant. The bittorrent client I use stores the downloaded files in My Documents. Although this problem occurs even when the bittorrent client is not running.
Thanks given by:
If during the first install, the only problem was the screenshot issue, then I think you can just use a script that saves your screenshot in the file you want, where you want on your computer, like that you can install the game in documents, and the game will not crash each time you take a screenshot.
Thanks given by:
Luckily it only crashed the once, seems unrelated. I've had these win_32 exceptions many times, I always assumed they were part and parcel of playing AssaultCube.
Now it just said it was written the file to documents/ac1.1/screenshots, but it's empty. Crazy.
Thanks given by:
Have you tried running AC under administrator permissions (right click run as administrator) this usually solves these kind of issues with Win 7.
Thanks given by:
Permissions for SYSTEM are full control without special permissions, and for owner (my profile) it is special permissions and I added full control just now, probably wasn't necessary. I assume because system had full control therefore owner does. Ah hell what am I saying, I'm in over my head.
Thanks given by:
(20 Aug 13, 10:38PM)DES|Anderson Wrote: Have you tried running AC under administrator permissions (right click run as administrator) this usually solves these kind of issues with Win 7.

C:\Windows\system32>bin_win32\ac_client.exe --home="?MYDOCUMENTS?\AssaultCube_v1
.1" --init
The system cannot find the path specified.

C:\Windows\system32>pause
Press any key to continue . . .
Thanks given by:
Odd. Try this: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorial...windows-7/

And see if the screenshots are then visible where AC says it's putting them. Try running a search for the filename that AC says it used for the screenshot.

To run as admin, you may need to edit the .bat file that launches AssaultCube (in Program Files) to point absolutely to your AssaultCube_v1.1 folder in Documents (C:\User\... instead of %MYDOCUMENTS%\...)
Thanks given by:
Gave it a go, still states 'this folder is empty'. Now I've noticed it says writing file to destination but this is not followed by wrote file to destination. I can not remember because it's been a year or so since I took a screenshot in this game but isn't it meant to come up with that?

Also, I checked the bat file and it says
bin_win32\ac_client.exe --home="?MYDOCUMENTS?\AssaultCube_v1.1" --init %1 %2 %3 %4 %5
pause
which is indeed the correct name for the folder.

It writes maps to packages/maps perfectly well, which is the perplexing thing.
Thanks given by: