IRC
Hey so im going to make an IRC Channel, and i was wondering wich IRC is most used in the ac community?

-thanks
Thanks given by:
GameSurge
Thanks given by:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G2_VZ2Guw...re=related
Thanks given by:
Thank you :D
Thanks given by:
I thought Quakenet was the old standby. Could be fading out though. Is Gamesurge where it's "at" these days?
Thanks given by:
Gamesurge is used by most AC clans, so yes at the moment its the most popular. The offical AC IRC on the other hand is run on quatenet, so it doesn't really matter.
Thanks given by:
why do we use gamesurge over quakenet?

are there differences between irc servers/networks?
Thanks given by:
There's not really any fundamental difference between how any IRC networks work. There can be differences and preferences as far as how they're administered and how reliable they are. Overall it can be hard to tell why everyone happens to be in one place but not another.
Thanks given by:
#assaultcube is on quakenet... But most clan channels are in gamesurge.
Thanks given by:
(26 Aug 10, 06:54AM)yata Wrote: why do we use gamesurge over quakenet?

Woop started using GameSurge in 2006 and then so did TearYouDown in late 2007.
Thanks given by:
The AssaultCube and A&D channel is on quakenet, but the rest are on gamesurge. I would recommend using gamesurge though there is no big difference between them. :D
Thanks given by:
There is one advantage of using Quakenet, which Francois tells me was a reason for USB clan choosing it.
The IRC link at the top of this page starts the Quakenet webchat app., which means there's no need to switch to a separate web app./IRC client to access another quakenet channel; very good for IRC newbs.
Thanks given by:
(26 Aug 10, 11:29AM)jamz Wrote: There is one advantage of using Quakenet, which Francois tells me was a reason for USB clan choosing it.
The IRC link at the top of this page starts the Quakenet webchat app., which means there's no need to switch to a separate web app./IRC client to access another quakenet channel; very good for IRC newbs.
There's Mibbit, which connects to GameSurge and QuakeNet at the same time:)
Thanks given by:
(26 Aug 10, 11:38AM)Drakas Wrote: There's Mibbit, which connects to GameSurge and QuakeNet at the same time:)

Nope, Mibbit doesn't let you connect to Quakenet AFAIK, in a bid to make people use their webchat app.

(26 Aug 10, 06:54AM)yata Wrote: why do we use gamesurge over quakenet?

I think that the main difference between Quakenet and GameSurge is that GameSurge's administration panel makes it easier to take control over your channel, what with the '!adduser xxxx yyyy' commands and what not. Also, with GameSurge you can add ChanServ to your channel whenever you want. That's not the case for QuakeNet, as it has requirements like needing to have 3+ in the channel for Q to register.
Thanks given by:
Use Gamesurge. Also, hang out on my IRC #PBClan.
Thanks given by:
I originally chose gamesurge over quakenet because quakenet was having a lot of netsplits at the time. These days, I would say they're both equally good.
Thanks given by:
Actually, quakenet seems to be connecting me faster nowadays. I would just go with Gamesurge though, as then you can easily connect to other clans IRCs.
Thanks given by:
hi bricksquad
Thanks given by:
hahaha hey harps :D
Thanks given by:
(27 Aug 10, 10:53AM)RandumKiwi Wrote: I originally chose gamesurge over quakenet because quakenet was having a lot of netsplits at the time. These days, I would say they're both equally good.

Strange. Now it's the other way round. How irritating, those netsplits are, especially that they happen almost ever fortnight nowadays...
Thanks given by:
At least the "netslpit enables chanel takeovers" is out of the question.
Thanks given by:
Chanserv? What's that? </1997>
Thanks given by:
(27 Aug 10, 07:02PM)Jack Wrote: Chanserv? What's that? </1997>

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internet_Re...s#ChanServ
Thanks given by:
For anyone that didnt get Jacks joke; ChanServ must have been made aprrox 1997.
Thanks given by:
It's a bit inaccurate since I didn't bother looking it up. Dalnet actually made Chanserv in 1995. In any case the joke was in regards to being terribly out of date with IRC convention and whatnot of course.
Thanks given by: