Hello people (just an intro)
Hi everyone. Just thought would thank the developers for creating such an amazing game. Really, in 15 mins of one game I can get such satisfaction I can't get from 2 hours of Skyrim ... AC is fast and thats what I like about it. Thank you, devs :)
I am a dental student and I though a fast-paced shooter with real players would be a great way to relax on weekends ... and I was right ! Good way to upgrade reaction time, visual scanning, aiming and strategy also. Many benefits, in just 15 mins.
My fav weapon is assault rifle. Used to be shotgun, but as the aiming got better, changed.
Anyway, I bet I have seen some players from here many times ;) Just few questions:
1) I have fast, but unstable connection (speed goes, say from 10 mb / sec to bytes, sometimes). Most of the time, I don't experience lags, but sometimes I get these players who seems to disconnect (translucent, waving) and then in a second reconnect / "jump" / "teleport", etc. Thats annoying, as I end up using all magazine on a "hologram" and then get shot from behind :( Question is: is it my problem ? Do I lag or they lag ? How to know thats it a lag and not a cheat / hack ? Btw, if that happens, its never all players who "teleport".
2) Is there a way to limit those sneaky players, who shoot from the same position through a small hole, covered by a wall, if the minute you respawn, you get headshot / gibbed ? In certain locations there is nothing you can do, cause you respawn at the same place, 90 degrees to the hole with the "sniper" - the speed at which you turn is still not enough no matter what - you get killed. Can you pre-position yourself, i.e. turn yourself before respawning ?

Thanks again, great game
Thanks given by:
1) It depends. When the "hologram" appears, if in the scoreboard (TAB) the word "LAG" is only appearing in that specific player's name and not everyone then it's a problem from their end. If it says "LAG" for everyone then it's a problem from your end. These types of things are lag spikes; sudden losses/declines of internet stability (pj) between players. Also, when you get the "holograms" don't shoot at them, it won't do any effect. Furthermore, there's a slim chance that sometimes some players use these lag spikes as an advantage through lag hacks; you have to follow the patterns of when they lag and if you notice that they always seem to lag in specific moments such as when they have low health before dying, before getting the flag, etc. you might be talking about a lag hack.

2) You are most probably talking about the sniper@camper maps. All official maps (While in a server press ESC > Set mode/map > mode > list of official maps) don't have those kinds of invisible walls and holes that players can take advantage of next to the bases. Best thing you can do in those maps is get away from the base as soon as possible before they can get a shot at you, though I would recommend you play official maps online and see if you prefer it.

Hope this was helpful and welcome.
Thanks given by:
(19 Jul 13, 08:21PM)alastor192 Wrote: 1) I have fast, but unstable connection (speed goes, say from 10 mb / sec to bytes, sometimes).

First thing I thought of was wireless. Not sure why.

Sometimes wireless connections can be too unstable for playing games. I usually use a wireless connection, but I have to make sure I am close to the router. If I am far from the router the playability goes down dramatically.

(19 Jul 13, 08:21PM)alastor192 Wrote: as I end up using all magazine on a "hologram" and then get shot from behind :(

Lagging is common (on pubs), the best thing to do is to run away when you see the ghost.

(19 Jul 13, 08:21PM)alastor192 Wrote: 2) Is there a way to limit those sneaky players, who shoot from the same position through a small hole, covered by a wall, if the minute you respawn, you get headshot / gibbed ? In

Next version of the game will prevent people from hiding and killing you. As wolf said, official maps will not allow players to spawn camp so easily. I honestly don't know why map makers ever thought it would be a good idea to give people a place to spawn camp and almost be invincible.

(19 Jul 13, 08:33PM)#M|A#Wolf Wrote: If it says "LAG" for everyone then it's a problem from your end.
Or the server is lagging.

If your connection to the server is bad, it is worth checking your ping when people aren't lagging and everything is normal. If it is above 400 (others, don't hop on me about the exact number) or above, you will start to see the frequent appearance of ghosts. On the server list, there is a ping column that you can use to see which servers you will have a better connection to. Lower ping is always better.

Welcome to the game :D
Thanks given by:
#M|A#Wolf - thanks, it was helpful and quick. So LAG status would give me idea, if its me or them, ok. I see, the hack is possible also (that gives such player really unfair advantage). I will choose official maps then (thanks for pointing where also, cause I would just choose a random server with a random map with the most of people connected until now).
Ronald_Reagan - thanks man. Ye, I have wireless. It is good for downloading, but sometimes really sucks during browsing / playing on-line. Might need to test my ping ... Tested: 22ms now. Now it behaves well, but it varies through out the day, probably broadband. Haha, ye, I do run away from ghosts, just in case. Ok, cool, waiting for next version of the game then. I compiled mine from SVN on Linux, some time ago.
Btw, will there be joystick support ? I know it was probably asked and I am fine with a mouse. A controller should provide better movement + jumping, etc, at the cost of worse aiming though, I think ...
Thanks given by:
(19 Jul 13, 10:58PM)alastor192 Wrote: Btw, will there be joystick support ? I know it was probably asked and I am fine with a mouse. A controller should provide better movement + jumping, etc, at the cost of worse aiming though, I think ...
Joystick support is already available, but it's better to play with mouse/keyboard IMO.
Thanks given by:
Yeah, iirc you need to do some work. Probably with keymap.cfg. Don't quote me on that though.
Thanks given by:
Ok, nice, thanks again. Ye, I will still play with mouse and keyboard
Thanks given by:
Your welcome;

By the way, enjoy your stay on this forum community of Assault Cube.
I hope you will have fun and keep playing!
Thanks given by:
mouse and keyboard is overrated. use mind bullets
Thanks given by:
Welcome (:
Thanks given by:
Thanks :) I do enjoy. Sometimes I do play camper maps - being an anti-camper. "Search and destroy"
Thanks given by: