Poll: Would you torture a terrorist to save 1,000 lives?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
No
23.91%
11 23.91%
Yes, if it saved lives
50.00%
23 50.00%
Yes, I would anyway
26.09%
12 26.09%
Total 46 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Would you torture a terrorist to save 1,000 lives?
Boston was a false flag can't you see it?
Thanks given by:
i can torture 1000 terrorists to save 1000 lives
Thanks given by:
(20 Apr 13, 11:27AM)Honor Wrote: i can torture 1000 terrorists to save 1000 lives

terriorists are also victims
Thanks given by:
(20 Apr 13, 07:51AM)MathiasB Wrote: Wrong, no one deserves to tortured for the rest of his life...

That is not what I said should happen to him. Life sentence != life of physical torture.

(20 Apr 13, 11:19AM)pweaks Wrote: Boston was a false flag can't you see it?

....................................................................................................
Thanks given by:
(20 Apr 13, 02:11PM)Bukz Wrote: That is not what I said should happen to him. Life sentence != life of physical torture.

Then it's good :)

But Guantanamo = torturing for me...
Thanks given by:
Marti the euro who treats a killer like a killer.

I also want to point out that lifetime in prison will torture him. Even gets beat up and raped by inmates, or lives in isolation forever which is not fun.
Thanks given by:
(20 Apr 13, 12:37PM).ExodusS* Wrote: terrorists are also victims

Which is exactly what they are counting on you to think.

I'm sorry I can't continue to ignore this thread. I can understand what you guys are trying to say, about dictatorial society and terrorists also being people. Really, that perspective is quite noble. It's nice to know that sentiment exists because it lets us know we are still compassionate humans. I think however, that you are a bit naive.

There are plenty of things we as people can do that are up for debate as to what the repercussions should be. I am all about due process. When it is possible. In the end there are certain things that can clearly be defined as completely unacceptable. Rape, sexual assault or coercion of children or the elderly, and acts of terror are some of those things. In Afghanistan there are people that think that it's OK to strap a bomb on a kid and send them into a group of people to blow them all to pieces, because this will enable them to go to heaven in glory. I am afraid I don't see a need for due process in that situation. And for you people who think the war on terror is about oil, you are sorely mistaken. It's about defending the innocent with no regard to personal appearance to people on the outside looking in. Yes, the U.S looks like a bully with their nose in everyone's business. But if your business is blowing up innocent people and killing indiscriminately, I have no problem snipping your nuts off with a pair of rusty scissors. I will torture a piece of scum to save lives YES! I don't care about how that makes me look, or what you think of it. Welcome to the real world. Due process is not always possible. It is preferred but not always possible. I have done many stupid things in my life, many things I am not proud of. But defending innocents from horrid acts of terrorism is not one of them. I am proud to say that I am perfectly capable of destroying a heartless animal to save 1,000 people. I would do it again if afforded the chance. If one of the people was your kid, or mother, I guarantee you would do it as well. And that's all I have to do to justify it, have a personal attachment to the innocents, and not defend the right of due process for a terrorist. It's easy to judge someone for such a decision, but you will never understand until you come face to face with someone whom has no regard for the lives of others or their own.
Thanks given by:
Am I a government employee? Does anyone know this person is in my custody? Will anyone every know that I made the decision? Will anyone ever know this person has been tortured?

These things matter if we are really in this situation. Personally I'd have to say I would not do it.

If I am a government employee and I choose to go through with it I am now an agent of government acting illegally by torturing a human. There's the possibility of someone finding out and the hell that that would raise for years and the precedent it would set. That precedent has already been set frankly but I'd rather not add to it.

If I am not a government employee I still do not feel ok with it. It's easy to say you value 1000 lives over 1 life when you're not in the situation but actually acting on those wishes is different.
Thanks given by:
An eye for an eye makes the whole world go blind.
Thanks given by:
(20 Apr 13, 06:42PM)#M|A#Wolf Wrote: An eye for an eye makes the whole world go blind.
Or makes others so scared to do crime that everyone can see.
Thanks given by:
In my opinion the moment someone purposefully takes another life, is the moment they forfeit any civil rights they had. (hypothetically ofc)

They were not thinking about their victim's rights when committing the crime, why should we cater to theirs during the punishment? The "slap on the wrist" mentality of many rights activists actually perpetuate similar crimes in the future. These people should be made an example of.
Thanks given by:
^ this.
Thanks given by:
(20 Apr 13, 07:13PM)Bukz Wrote: ...

To be tortured (and an obvious death?) doesn't fear them.
Thanks given by:
(20 Apr 13, 07:13PM)Bukz Wrote: In my opinion the moment someone purposefully takes another life, is the moment they forfeit any civil rights they had. (hypothetically ofc)

They were not thinking about their victim's rights when committing the crime, why should we cater to theirs during the punishment? The "slap on the wrist" mentality of many rights activists actually perpetuate similar crimes in the future. These people should be made an example of.

OBJECTION

some liberties are forfeited in the event of committing a murder (such as your freedom), but others are not and should not be. two wrongs don't make a right. of course, if the CIA or FBI were faced with this hypothetical situation i'm sure they wouldn't hesitate to go all khalid sheikh mohammed on a bitch.

this scenario is too complex for me to properly form a contention currently, as i am ridiculously tired, so i will not do so.

fucking love how boomhauer went all HOOAH MURICA PTSD shimmy schizo sociopath on this thread lol.
Thanks given by:
Getting into a debate about this on a forum for a game where we "kill" people regularly...lol
Thanks given by:
(21 Apr 13, 06:54PM)ShadowFlameZ Wrote: Getting into a debate about this on a forum for a game where we "kill" people regularly...lol

So?
Thanks given by:
This thread is weird. Don't you think so too?
Thanks given by:
Use one torture method! It has no name, IT JUST IS!

Insert pipe into orifice of choice... Insert barbed wire into pipe... Remove pipe.. Remove razor wire.
Don't try this at home kids More blood than 1man1jar
Thanks given by:
Thanks given by:
http://www.slate.com/articles/news_and_p...usic_.html
Thanks given by:
Starting to feel that way atm.
Thanks given by:
(22 Apr 13, 05:30AM)#M|A#Wolf Wrote:
Starting to feel that way atm.
Although I am dubious to jump to that sort of conclusion, it certainly is strange that the FBI kept tabs on the older brother up until 2011, but then didn't find any trace this future devastation.
Thanks given by:
Yeah, apparently the FBI knew him but they needed help from the public to identify him? Could've been a tactic to get people used to their faces as the Boston bombers. People have forgotten that there's yet anything that proves with no possible rebuttal that these two brothers did it, and news agencies are already recognizing them as the guilty ones.
Thanks given by:
(22 Apr 13, 05:45AM)#M|A#Wolf Wrote: Yeah, apparently the FBI knew him but they needed help from the public to identify him?

Exactly the same shit for the 09/11/11 with the NSA... Just sayin'
BTW: Check traders actions on Boing before the 09/11/11 :D
Thanks given by:
Sorry for upping this thread, but i just discovered it by chance.
Roflcopter first post is really biased. Actually it's so much biased that nobody could give it the right answer, and any personal opinion in this case is useless imo.

Not only it is proven that death penaly, torture, and other dissuasive means are inefficient, but also, who could grant himself the right to perform such actions ?
Nobody could get this legitimacy. It's not a game, we're talking about lives.

As Rousseau explained, exchanging freedom against security is a "dupe pact".
Even more when the security is not even assured.
Thanks given by: