ac_rld
download link: http://ac-akimbo.net/showthread.php?tid=734

Heya guys. My latest map, titled Red Light District, is medium sized and takes place in an urban setting. Originally, I was thinking of making ac_rattrap2 but because no one likes that map and my mapping style is much different than Ratboy's, I decided to go off on a tangent and try to create a realistic city scene.

Also, Cleaner deserves an award of some type. His mapmodels really tied my map together.

Suitable for all modes. Enjoy!

[Image: 5265.jpg]
[Image: 4k1i.jpg]
[Image: ucp6.jpg]
[Image: atj2.jpg]
Thanks given by:
rattrap without the lag <3
Thanks given by:
Nice use of the new mapmodels, a few interesting building designs too. Little bit cramped in places, try making bigger maps with more open spaces. You should test some new themes also, haven't seen much from you other than urban/city themes, some nice natural themes, or desert etc. Something new is always fun :)

Good job though.
Thanks given by:
Read this as ac_rid and thought it was some edited version of arid ;)

Nice map though, the third SS does somehow remind me of rattrap.
Thanks given by:
Nice map, though I suggest you make a player clip here otherwise it'll become camper paradise for CLA defenders. Also, the clips you used for the concrete barricades, and some boxes in CLA base disrupt the player's movement if you run next to them. I don't know if there's a better way to clip those mapmodels or if those clips are actually needed but I think some rework would benefit the map there.

By the way, is this part of the map intended to be climbable? Lastly I think this little fenced area would benefit with a player clip.

EDIT: Maybe it's just me, but I think CLA has a major advantage over RVSF since their base is a very open area unlike RVSF's. I'd suggest either moving the red flag somewhere like here, or making the CLA base smaller and/or RVSF bigger somehow.

Hope this helps :)
Thanks given by:
Please remove useless _MACOSX folder and all ._.DS_Store files...
Thanks given by:
(02 Jul 13, 11:47PM)#M|A#Wolf Wrote: I suggest you make a player clip here otherwise it'll become camper paradise for CLA defenders.

wow i didnt even notice this. good point :P

(02 Jul 13, 11:47PM)#M|A#Wolf Wrote: Also, the clips you used for the concrete barricades, and some boxes in CLA base disrupt the player's movement if you run next to them. I don't know if there's a better way to clip those mapmodels or if those clips are actually needed but I think some rework would benefit the map there.

im currently trying to figure out exactly how to clip the models that do not go with the grain of the map (i.e. diagonal). will be reworked along with the camping space you pointing out in my submission to the official map vote (lol fat chance on any success with the vote but hey...worth a shot :D )

(02 Jul 13, 11:47PM)#M|A#Wolf Wrote: By the way, is this part of the map intended to be climbable?
yes. although i heavily debated just clipping the entire thing. im having second thoughts about not doing so

(02 Jul 13, 11:47PM)#M|A#Wolf Wrote: Lastly I think this little fenced area would benefit with a player clip.
ppl can squeeze through there?

(02 Jul 13, 11:47PM)#M|A#Wolf Wrote: EDIT: Maybe it's just me, but I think CLA has a major advantage over RVSF since their base is a very open area unlike RVSF's. I'd suggest either moving the red flag somewhere like here, or making the CLA base smaller and/or RVSF bigger somehow.
the problem i encountered with moving the bases is that in doing so, the map heavily favored one side. moving the flag even a couple cubes made it a much shorter trip on one side than the other. that being said, im going to expand the RVSF base majorly. perhaps add on an additional part of the map.

(02 Jul 13, 11:47PM)#M|A#Wolf Wrote: Nice map...Hope this helps :)

thanks man :D appreciated the pointers

(02 Jul 13, 11:08PM)Z3R0 Wrote: Nice use of the new mapmodels, a few interesting building designs too. Little bit cramped in places, try making bigger maps with more open spaces. You should test some new themes also, haven't seen much from you other than urban/city themes, some nice natural themes, or desert etc. Something new is always fun :)

Good job though.

next map is going to be much less ubran.

(03 Jul 13, 07:50AM)Cleaner Wrote: Please remove useless _MACOSX folder and all ._.DS_Store files...

i didnt add any of that.

thank you all for the responses!!!
Thanks given by:
I don't know why, but it's incredibly laggy to me.

As these fellows above said, it's just rattrap2, maybe it sucks less because it is not rattrap (everyone knows that it and aqueous are the worst abortion of the whole AC history). Anyway, it feels quite empty and static; the same layout up and down. I think you can do better, but although I'm not an expert mapper, I'd rate this something like 4,5/10...
Thanks given by:
MerCyKiL, those files/folders are automatically generated by your OS (MAC), simply delete all these from your folder(s) before compression.
Thanks given by:
MerCyKiL Cleaner forgot to mention those files are generally hidden by default (any file preceded with the "." character) so you will need to locate hidden files on your OS to delete them.
Thanks given by:
will delete them next time i upload
Thanks given by:
(03 Jul 13, 04:55PM)Andrez Wrote: I don't know why, but it's incredibly laggy to me.

As these fellows above said, it's just rattrap2, maybe it sucks less because it is not rattrap (everyone knows that it and aqueous are the worst abortion of the whole AC history). Anyway, it feels quite empty and static; the same layout up and down. I think you can do better, but although I'm not an expert mapper, I'd rate this something like 4,5/10...

found a laggy point. didnt know i had one of those but my fps drops from 100 to 60. as for emptiness, i didnt think it was terribly void of detail. it was supposed to give a more "warehousy" feel. plus i didnt think it was as empty as aqueous or arabian :P

guess no one wants another city-scene map. better start working on a desert one i guess...
Thanks given by:
Pffft, people do like the map, just some suggestions.
Lag is a big thing to consider on maps.

Lol go make desert4! :D
Thanks given by:
(05 Jul 13, 03:37PM)ShadowFlameZ Wrote: Lol go make desert4! :D

D4 already exists.
Thanks given by:
A bunch of d4's exist, but none are official quality. Which are you talking about?
Thanks given by:
Define official quality.
Thanks given by:
A bunch of the desert4's I have seen in AC are just edited versions of ac_desert.
Thanks given by:
http://quadropolis.us/node/1411
Thanks given by: