Hitfixed clients
This is just to say I am now using a client which avoids losing any hits.

Often I am asked to play on a server that I suspect may not be entirely fixed. Many other players don't experience any unhits because they have enough FPS to cap it at a multiple of 25. I play with relatively low FPS though so can't reliably cap my FPS. All this client gives me is an equal playing field with such players.

I don't believe this is a cheat, simply because it doesn't give me an advantage; it only removes a disadvantage I had. Other players with high FPS already have this! I have no advantage over anyone if any of the following is true
  • we play on a truly fixed server,
  • they cap their FPS properly, or
  • they also use a fixed client

The only difference I expect is that it allows me to force players' hands to play on truly fair servers!

This is just to let everyone who may play with me know; I won't be playing publics with this client.
Thanks given by:
share :D
Thanks given by:
How do you explain Gaia public is the only one server where I have 0 unhit?
All those "fixed" servers you are speaking about (iirc, MyS, oNe servers etc...) have almost no difference with most of unfixed ones, unlike Gaia public (and not the private).

How can you say it's from the client if hits are related to the server? What kind of changes did you apply to your client, did you increased the time between 2 bullets?
Thanks given by:
Exo, stop your whinging. You don't play competitively remember?
Larry, everyone prefers a source to be released or at least a copy of the client when speaking of such things in public.
Thanks given by:
(02 Jul 13, 03:09PM)ExodusS Wrote: How do you explain Gaia public is the only one server where I have 0 unhit?
All those "fixed" servers you are speaking about (iirc, MyS, oNe servers etc...) have almost no difference with most of unfixed ones, unlike Gaia public (and not the private).

Are you actually measuring unhits or just "feeling" them? :p

(02 Jul 13, 03:13PM)DrauL Wrote: Larry, everyone prefers a source to be released or at least a copy of the client when speaking of such things in public.

It's based on the fix in SVN. http://forum.cubers.net/thread-2413-post...l#pid46509
Thanks given by:
share it? not everyone has a good fps
Thanks given by:
I can't compile for Windows, but maybe someone else can create a client for you.

All the information you need is already linked above, you just need SKB or Ronald_Reagan.

I tested my client in some games and on FD's server and got 0 unhits.
Thanks given by:
Omfg, please we have many smart people here, make it for windows!!! I will give you my gf if you do it lol

(that means i will be able to play with unstable fps? Like, in my case, in a range from 50 to 200 fps without loosing any bullet? :-D im so dumb please explain

Gj Larry
Thanks given by:
I guess this serves as proof anyone can modify their client however they want to get an advantage without anyone knowing; not referring to this specific case.
Thanks given by:
(02 Jul 13, 03:13PM)DrauL Wrote: Exo, stop your whinging. You don't play competitively remember?

What's the link between my post?

(02 Jul 13, 03:34PM)Roflcopter Wrote: Are you actually measuring unhits or just "feeling" them? :p

It's obviously a feeling, because I am not able to prove with maths, server logs or any other things that could give a proper and accurate proof of each situations... But the difference is still obvious, in some cases, you have a 100% unhit or almost, I don't even care about proving it, it just happened. Demos are useless in any kind of situations, this is what you see when you watch a normal sniper shot, on a demo.
Thanks given by:
You will always get drops if you have a higher than average or spiking pj
Thanks given by:
This makes me uncomfortable. It seems the boundaries are constantly being pushed. I'd prefer that you play the way AC was packaged.

Let's say you play a 2v2 where every player including yourself have low-end PCs that have issues with hitdrops due to the way AC works and not being able to keep a comfortable fps that is a multiple of 25. You use a modified client that helps prevent drops. You have an unfair advantage.
Thanks given by:
(02 Jul 13, 04:03PM)Roflcopter Wrote: I can't compile for Windows, but maybe someone else can create a client for you.

All the information you need is already linked above, you just need SKB or Ronald_Reagan.

I'm not a windows user. The only thing I could compile is linux 32bit.
Thanks given by:
(03 Jul 13, 03:11AM)BigGunZ Wrote: This makes me uncomfortable. It seems the boundaries are constantly being pushed. I'd prefer that you play the way AC was packaged.

Let's say you play a 2v2 where every player including yourself have low-end PCs that have issues with hitdrops due to the way AC works and not being able to keep a comfortable fps that is a multiple of 25. You use a modified client that helps prevent drops. You have an unfair advantage.

But yet if I just buy a fast computer I'd have the same "advantage". You can't achieve a fair game if anyone has unhits anyway (since players get vastly different amounts of drops); in your example someone will have an unfair advantage regardless of whether the client is used or not.

I have done lots to make a more even playing field for everyone. All the servers I run are fully hit-fixed, I've done lots of testing of the issue, I require fixed servers for every tournament I run, I generally try to bring awareness to the issue. When I do something like this it's to make the game fairer -- in this case by forcing reluctant players to use fair servers against me.
Thanks given by:
(03 Jul 13, 08:52AM)SKB Wrote:
(02 Jul 13, 04:03PM)Roflcopter Wrote: I can't compile for Windows, but maybe someone else can create a client for you.

I'm not a windows user. The only thing I could compile is linux 32bit.

Dear Mr.President, please help us RR!
Thanks given by:
(03 Jul 13, 11:09AM)Roflcopter Wrote: But yet if I just buy a fast computer I'd have the same "advantage".

In this case, it's you who have a disadvantage, you can't "accuse" other people to use the official version of the game in the hope to have an advantage against you. BigGunz said it, you are not the only one having this disadvantage on this game, and sharing the client is not the solution at all.
Thanks given by:
(03 Jul 13, 12:36PM)ExodusS Wrote:
(03 Jul 13, 11:09AM)Roflcopter Wrote: But yet if I just buy a fast computer I'd have the same "advantage".

In this case, it's you who have a disadvantage, you can't "accuse" other people to use the official version of the game in the hope to have an advantage against you. BigGunz said it, you are not the only one having this disadvantage on this game, and sharing the client is not the solution at all.

That's warped. Advantages and disadvantages are relative. It is an advantage relative to not having a faster computer to have a faster computer. So my use of language was precise and correct!

I notice that you're only attacking this part of my argument, but I believe the second part (that is, the fact that if anyone has unhits the game cannot be remotely fair anyway because there are massive variations in the number of drops each player experiences) is a far more solid argument so will you please address that?
Thanks given by:
(03 Jul 13, 12:58PM)Roflcopter Wrote: That's warped. Advantages and disadvantages are relative. It is an advantage relative to not having a faster computer to have a faster computer. So my use of language was precise and correct!

I didn't say it was not relative, my only though was that you used the word "advantage" like a valid argument to use a modified client you didn't even share sources, you just said "it's based on...". You are often fighting against your disadvantages but you don't care about encouraging clans to pick unfair maps on fixed servers for your tournament. If the half-time switch was so fast and easy to implement, why didn't you introduce it in the summer-cup?

(03 Jul 13, 12:58PM)Roflcopter Wrote: I notice that you're only attacking this part of my argument...

It was not an attack, this one was.
Thanks given by:
(03 Jul 13, 01:31PM)ExodusS Wrote:
(03 Jul 13, 12:58PM)Roflcopter Wrote: That's warped. Advantages and disadvantages are relative. It is an advantage relative to not having a faster computer to have a faster computer. So my use of language was precise and correct!

I didn't say it was not relative, my only though was that you used the word "advantage" like a valid argument to use a modified client you didn't even share sources, you just said "it's based on...". You are often fighting against your disadvantages but you don't care about encouraging clans to pick unfair maps on fixed servers for your tournament. If the half-time switch was so fast and easy to implement, why didn't you introduce it in the summer-cup?

I meant to show my client doesn't provide anything you can't already get (with high FPS).

The patches linked provide all the information needed.

As for the cup, unfair maps aren't unfair when both teams can pick them! If map X is so unfair then pick it yourself! I agree it is more fun to avoid such lame maps though so we did disallow some of the most biased. Suggestions as to what other maps should be disallowed are welcome for future tournaments! And I would like half-time side-switching but I do have limited time.

(03 Jul 13, 01:31PM)ExodusS Wrote:
(03 Jul 13, 12:58PM)Roflcopter Wrote: I notice that you're only attacking this part of my argument...

It was not an attack, this one was.

I don't mean your posts are hostile in nature. I use "attack" to mean "counter argument".
Thanks given by:
(03 Jul 13, 01:55PM)Roflcopter Wrote: Suggestions as to what other maps should be disallowed are welcome for future tournaments!

sorry to completely derail but, keller.
Thanks given by:
keller aint dat bias
0-0 ggwp
Thanks given by:
I always have 200 FPS but I get so much units when I play against high ping players like xenon ;D Would your Client solve this problem?
Thanks given by:
(03 Jul 13, 03:36PM)Xenon Wrote: keller aint dat bias
0-0 ggwp
It actually is a bit biased toward RVSF but that's not the problem, the lack of flags/action is.
Thanks given by:
(03 Jul 13, 07:50PM)#M|A#Wolf Wrote: It actually is a bit biased toward RVSF but that's not the problem, the lack of flags/action is.

I'm not a fan on "8 gameplays" but this map was impressive when she was released, ac_keller was clearly not made for CTF in matches. Same things for many other maps, and this is the main factor we must see before forbidding maps for a tournament.
Thanks given by:
(03 Jul 13, 11:09AM)Roflcopter Wrote: But yet if I just buy a fast computer I'd have the same "advantage". You can't achieve a fair game if anyone has unhits anyway (since players get vastly different amounts of drops); in your example someone will have an unfair advantage regardless of whether the client is used or not.

Yes, everyone will have drops that vary widely. You have a modified client that help prevent drops for you, not for everyone else. The hitfixed servers are great, they help everyone with drops.
Thanks given by:
this is a cheat, larry.

you're modifying the client to give yourself an advantage, no matter how you attempt to justify it as a "fair" advantage. if you decide to use this on a server where the server is not 100% fixed, then you have a clear cut advantage over other players that do not have the client in that you hit more bullets.

this is analogous to a cheat client, wagner has a clear cut advantage when he uses his no spread cheat in matches. he hits more bullets on average compared to another player of equal aim and skill, as do you when you use the client.

if you've actually used this client in a game, you're blatantly cheating and should be punished accordingly. there isn't any room for debate on this point.

(03 Jul 13, 12:06AM)#M|A#Wolf Wrote: I guess this serves as proof anyone can modify their client however they want to get an advantage without anyone knowing; not referring to this specific case.

if this precedent is accepted by the majority of players, then yes, you're correct.
Thanks given by:
(04 Jul 13, 08:05AM)Undead Wrote: ...should be punished accordingly...
Which is what, exactly? Does any competitive player (apart from fundog :P) actually give a shit?
Thanks given by:
(04 Jul 13, 01:36PM)jamz Wrote:
(04 Jul 13, 08:05AM)Undead Wrote: ...should be punished accordingly...
Which is what, exactly? Does any competitive player (apart from fundog :P) actually give a shit?

what the fuck?
whether the player is "competitive" or not is irrelevant; i'm sure every player within reason would be pleased to see any cheater punished, irregardless of who that person is.
Thanks given by:
(04 Jul 13, 01:36PM)jamz Wrote: Does any competitive player (apart from fundog :P) actually give a shit?

Actually lol'd IRL.
Thanks given by:
Then, bring next version with fixed client. Problem solved. We all know you (smart AC people) could do it. Larry already did it for linux, others can fix it for windows or whatever. We can wait, we've been waiting long for new version so we can wait a bit more.

Give solutions please, no need to destroy someone's good intention. It's clear that with your client fixed you'll have an advantage (call it cheating or whatever). However, there's no need to focus on that so aggressively. It's completely different to say "Larry, you made an excellent job. It's brilliant. blablabla, I think you shouldn't play with it though because it gives you an advantage over blablabla..." than get larry's work down. Larry just made something great. The first step to fix THE CLIENT ISSUE. We all know, and iif you didn't know, even when you play in the so called "hit-reg fixed" servers you have drops anyways. Not because of the server but your client.
I'm so retarded for programming or whatever, I can't help/contribute more but just encouraging people like Larry to work with devs and improve our beloved game.

gj
Thanks given by: