Assaultcube on SSD.
Hey guys,

I've got a new laptop recently that comes with a solid state drive. It's the first time I've ever had one, so I'm uncertain whether this is an issue with AC or the way I have set up AC. Clarification would be excellent.

I've got a few small issues when running AC with it installed on my SSD, I can move it to my HDD if I need to, but would rather not! Anyway, my issues are as follows.

1) When ever I load AC, I'm reverted back to the install setup options. I have to enter my name, choose my screensize, sensitivity etc. It doesn't seem to save any of my user preferences.

2) I can't get any custom map when connecting to a server. I can only download them and put them into the packages folder before running and then it will work.

The combination of the two makes it sound like to me that SSD's can't update the folders during running, but I'm unsure. Any help? :o
Thanks given by:
I'd rather say that your operating system can't handle the SSD.
Or that it does something strange whereby Assault Cube can't write to the settings folder.

Which operating system are you using. And if you say Windows, then it's definitely not your SSD :)
Thanks given by:
Sounds like you need to get AC to write settings and such to a folder that it's allowed to.
If on Windows, this'd usually be My Documents or somewhere else that programs without admin privileges can write to.
Thanks given by:
(27 May 13, 12:48PM)MathiasB Wrote: I'd rather say that your operating system can't handle the SSD.
Or that it does something strange whereby Assault Cube can't write to the settings folder.

Which operating system are you using. And if you say Windows, then it's definitely not your SSD :)

Sadly, I have windows 8. As much as I dislike it, it should be able to handle the SSD.

(27 May 13, 12:54PM)Frogulis Wrote: Sounds like you need to get AC to write settings and such to a folder that it's allowed to.
If on Windows, this'd usually be My Documents or somewhere else that programs without admin privileges can write to.

I don't actually have any AC files in my documents. Could it be I chose the wrong option while installing AC? I didn't think it would really matter and I hadn't tried this option.
Thanks given by:
I bet that it's Micro$hits fault...
Thanks given by:
Sounds like you need to configure perms.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/308419#4
Thanks given by:
http://assault.cubers.net/docs/faqs.html

Point n°9, hope it can help you :)
Thanks given by:
Thanks, but I don't think it is permissions based. I'm admin, and just to be doubly certain I've edited my permission on the AC folder to give all users full control so they can read/write/delete etc.
Thanks given by:
Make a copy of your AC folder and paste it to the root of your drive, e.g. C:\

Then run the game from within that folder and check if it saves the settings.
Thanks given by:
It saves my settings on HDD (My D:/) when copying the folder over from my SSD.
Thanks given by:
Did you select the "save settings in my documents" (or similar) option when installing AC?
Thanks given by:
Hi PhaNtom,

Nah, I didn't. I mentioned that above. I'd rather not have it clog up my documents. It's how I used to have it on my old laptop, and I ended up with map varients all over the place between the "My documents" folder and the "programme files" folder.
Thanks given by:
It may be a problem whereby the application just cannot access the folder with saved.cfg. Basically, if you've got a directory with ac working, and simply have copied that, it may just be used to the directory of the HDD. Im not sure though. When I was using a SSD and HDD i had to do a lot of configuration to make sure both could communicate fluidly. It might just take finding your home folder for ac and putting it somewhere where the game can find it.
Thanks given by:
CMD:

cacls C:\Program Files\AssaultCube /t /p Everyone:F

Then try. Also, check the batch script in that directory to ensure that it has its configuration location set correctly, if you copied it there rather than installing fresh.

Quote:I bet that it's Micro$hits fault...

Yes, it's all Micro$hit's fault for enforcing the principle of least privilege and making sure that random applications running without admin rights can't just write willy-nilly all over the file system. Stupid Micro$hit!
Thanks given by:
(27 May 13, 06:58PM)Jack Wrote: Yes, it's all Micro$hit's fault for enforcing the principle of least privilege and making sure that random applications running without admin rights can't just write willy-nilly all over the file system. Stupid Micro$hit!

+1
Thanks given by:
(27 May 13, 06:58PM)Jack Wrote: cacls C:\Program Files\AssaultCube /t /p Everyone:F

Giving full control is NEVER a good idea...
Thanks given by:
It's my favorite blunderbuss to resolve permissions issues in places where it doesn't really matter. :P

You could do Users:F instead or Username:F
Thanks given by:
Are you sure you tryed to install in "documents"?

AssaultCube on LSD? Ask DogDancing
Thanks given by:
Is good to see that AC is now expanding more in other programs or websites!
Thanks given by:
(27 May 13, 01:49PM)Snoosnoo Wrote: Thanks, but I don't think it is permissions based. I'm admin, and just to be doubly certain I've edited my permission on the AC folder to give all users full control so they can read/write/delete etc.

This is just silly. AC writes files the same way as every other program. You described a textbook permissions problem.

I think the key point of information you may of left out is how you got this copy of AC (copy or reinstall), drive names (HDD is D:\).

Also, if the .bat has any sort of path in it (or something like --home), make sure to include a copy of it here. I haven't looked at the AC .bat file in awhile.
Thanks given by:
Hi Ronald, you're right it sounds like a permission issue, but all checks in that I have the appropriate permissions. I assume I can't make a new map though I haven't tried. I installed it from the AC site, and the bat has the correct path I guess.
--
bin_win32\ac_client.exe --init %1 %2 %3 %4 %5
pause
--

Doesn't seem to make any reference to the drive, so I could put it anywhere providing I have bin_win32 in the same directory. Saving my settings on my HDD version does not effect the SSD version, and vice versa.

The HDD version was actually copied directly rather than installed and that's the one that works. Lol.
Thanks given by:
(27 May 13, 11:49AM)Snoosnoo Wrote: 1) When ever I load AC, I'm reverted back to the install setup options. I have to enter my name, choose my screensize, sensitivity etc. It doesn't seem to save any of my user preferences.

(29 May 13, 08:11AM)Snoosnoo Wrote: Doesn't seem to make any reference to the drive, so I could put it anywhere providing I have bin_win32 in the same directory. Saving my settings on my HDD version does not effect the SSD version, and vice versa.

Wait, so it does work? Clarify exactly what the vice versa means.
Thanks given by:
Pardon? >_> Vice versa = saving settings on HDD doesn't effect on SSD and saving settings on SSD does not effect HDD.
Thanks given by:
To me that implies you can save settings on the SSD.
Thanks given by:
Ah, I see what you mean. I meant trying to save. Flu ridden and iq/2 at the moment.
Thanks given by: