Poll: Y'all be watching the soccer ball on NBC?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
I will be trying it out
14.29%
1 14.29%
Screw dat, the rest of the world should be playing GRIDIRON.
42.86%
3 42.86%
Im a proud 'merican and soccer ball fanatic
28.57%
2 28.57%
Don't need to see the EPL, Red Bulls have all the world's best players.
14.29%
1 14.29%
Total 7 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Y'all be watching the soccer ball on NBC?
It came to my knowledge that the EPL is going to be shown in USA by some channel called NBC. My one laments about USA - okay one of my laments about USA is that it's one of those weird countries where football isn't the dominant sport. Of course I know the MLS exists and I believe it gets played on quite a wide scale in schools in USA now, but not a significant amount of American sports fans go to watch the matches and certainly few if any get aired on mainstream TV channels. So Naturally when I found some big tv company will be showing my country's leagues matches over there I felt excitement that this marks a big change in USA's attitude to watching and playing the beautiful game.

Or does it? I want to know if any of the American's on this site will actually be watching it or if USA will forever be "that country where they don't watch football'.
Thanks given by:
Quote:It came to my knowledge that the EPL is going to be shown in USA by some channel called NBC.
live games or just some kind of magazine program?

Quote:My one laments about USA - okay one of my laments about USA is that it's one of those weird countries where football isn't the dominant sport.
afaik the premier league and even the mexican is more popular than the MLS over there. muaha
Thanks given by:
(16 May 13, 09:09PM)kleinkariert Wrote: live games or just some kind of magazine program?

I was assuming live, all 380 matches will apparently be available one way or another
Thanks given by:
I thought you Americans live for football and baseball, I wasn't aware that soccer was watched in your country :o
Thanks given by:
that would be a big step indeed, even if the Bundesliga deserves it more. :P i dont understand why its still a fringe sport in the states anyway.
Thanks given by:
everything > tv
Thanks given by:
(16 May 13, 09:26PM).ExodusS* Wrote: everything > tv
Thanks given by:
(16 May 13, 09:23PM)kleinkariert Wrote: that would be a big step indeed, even if the Bundesliga deserves it more. :P i dont understand why its still a fringe sport in the states anyway.

perhaps it's because they're not the best at it. whereas they're the world's best at baseball and american football no doubt ;)

and I know Dortmund and Bayern are great teams that I have enjoyed watching this season, I would assume that the Bundesliga doesn't have the same quality as the EPL throughout the league.
You would know best though, would Augsburg beat the mighty Wigan?
Of course though it really comes down to there is more glitz and glamour to the EPL and the fact the fans chant in English and the players abuse the officials in English that makes it more marketable to an English speaking country.
Thanks given by:
its just not in our culture, although there are many football fans (soccer.) really its kids growing up to play what their parents and friends watch on tv, and then playing that. maybe having these games available will raise a new generation of american children that actually like football
Thanks given by:
It'll probably end up like this.

Thanks given by:
(16 May 13, 09:55PM)Waffles Wrote: its just not in our culture, although there are many football fans (soccer.) really its kids growing up to play what their parents and friends watch on tv, and then playing that. maybe having these games available will raise a new generation of american children that actually like football

I hope it does, I feel that American's are missing out on something. This is the best thing that can be done to advertise the sport so if this doesn't work...
Thanks given by:
(16 May 13, 10:12PM)Nightmare Wrote: It'll probably end up like this.
[video]
The Mexican commentator at the end did it for me LMFAO.
Thanks given by:
Even though the Simpsons video above is about as accurate as can be, here's a more conversational take. Soccer is already on TV in America. MLS obviously. But ESPN2 shows international soccer somewhat often. I personally only follow the sport during the World Cup. America likes sports where you can score multiple points at once. 2-3 point shots in Basketball, 2-4 RBI hits in baseball, field goals and touchdowns in Football, eagles in Golf. We also secretly prefer HTF in AC because you can score 2 points at once.

Star Power is embedded in American Culture. Beckham was supposed to change the view here, but he wasn't special enough to stand out from the other MLS players. We like saying 'Can LeBron put up 40 points tonight to carry them for the win?' 'Can Tiger birdie the final two holes to win this tournament?' 'Can Flacco lead the team down the field for a touchdown with 20 seconds left and no timeouts?' 'Can A-Rod get a hit in the play-offs without 10 pounds of steroids in his system?' Soccer, Hockey, etc. can't do that as much. I never saw them say 'Donovan needs 2 goals for America to win this game.' It's 'blabla can they counter this and do this?' It's too team oriented, there aren't as many chances to be star players that we can talk about, criticize, praise, etc.

That is why I prefer AC to Soccer. More conversations about if the stars will step their game up. As seen by this post, the pressure is on the stars in the Summer Cup.
http://forum.cubers.net/thread-6751-post...#pid129182
If |oNe| loses, it won't be 'the better team won', at least from the American spectator view. It'll be 'Waffles blew it, and can't come up big on the big stage.' Or 'Undead is old and washed up and should retire.'
Thanks given by:
If a sport doesn't involve a lot of points, cheerleaders, timeouts, at least 4 quarters, and a lot of action every single second then Americans don't like it.
Thanks given by:
I should say i prefer soccer to football for exactly what nightmare is talking about. the team game as opposed to the individual prowess. because americans don't like soccer, they will never win acwc :D
Thanks given by:
Edited my post to make it better and hopefully more understand-able; even added some AC stuff ftw.
Thanks given by:
Nightmare Wrote:It's too team oriented, there aren't as many chances to be star players that we can talk about, criticize, praise, etc.

You've obviously never heard of Gareth Bale Hotspurs...and this is coming from a spurs fan. :(
Thanks given by:
Haha this is good news, I had to order 3 or 4 soccer channels so I could keep up with all the games I wanted to see.
Thanks given by:
(16 May 13, 11:55PM)Nightmare Wrote: American spectator view. It'll be 'Waffles blew it, and can't come up big on the big stage.' Or 'Undead is old and washed up and should retire.'

u fuck off i don't have time to be up at strange hours to play AC.
Thanks given by:
Nightmare, im sick of ur expert commentating when ur not even good at ac.
Thanks given by:
chubster has spoken, dnt fuk with him man
Thanks given by:
RvP

Only proper player in Premier League
Thanks given by:
(17 May 13, 08:22AM)Undead Wrote: i don't have time to be up at strange hours to play AC.

So no Xenon or Undead for |oNe| ?
:o

edit: Real Madrid is playing on ESPN right now. Soccer has fans here, and gets airtime, it just isn't as popular as other sports. (basketball, football, league of legends, baseball.)
Thanks given by:
The oNe lineup probably wont be consistent as we are all busy plus timezone conflicts. The majority of us arent EU so timezones will conflict as with any tourny. I work about 60 hours weekly now so its shaky at best.

I will watch nbc coverage
Thanks given by:
Real madrid lost.

I think this was actually a match americans would enjoy with 8 yellow and 2 red cards, a fight, and a goalkeeper being hit by coins and playing the best game of his life.

Lol :D

ATLETICOOOOOOOOOOOO!
Thanks given by:
(17 May 13, 12:03AM)#M|A#Wolf Wrote: If a sport doesn't involve a lot of points, cheerleaders, timeouts, at least 4 quarters, and a lot of action every single second then Americans don't like it.
This is where I think I'm getting trolled. I know what you mean but I don't. Like Marti said, the big football match tonight was pure drama - pure entertainment. More action in the last 5 minutes than in every Gridiron match I've seen bits of in sports bars on holiday combined.

And in response to Nightmare, again I know what you're saying but it's not true. In football every player has the opportunity to be the hero, or the villain in a game. Like Aekom said, Tottenham Hotspur must currently be the most one man team in sport at the moment. Game after game the individual performance of one man shines through, he rescues his team time and time again. Bale, Ronaldo, Messi, RVP, Neymar, Lewandowski, Robben, Ribery, Falcao, Hazard, Heskey (but not Landon Donovan). I could go on, and on. In the world of football, the humble, non-american part of planet Earth, these are the stars. These are the people all the kids aspire to be, whose name's are printed on all the fan's backs. The stars who men and women alike get weak at the knees over. Whose image people get on their arse cheeks as their first tattoo, out of devotion and reverence for that player.

Oh, and Zlatan Ibrahimovic. Even just by his name you know he is a star, the man so many pay to see. My analogy for this is think of this as a 10 v 10 ctf on ac_depot, where one team's players all suck and have a negative K/D ratio and no flags, apart from one player, who scores 4 so that team wins the match.

And if I had to metaphorise 3:30, that would be the equivelent of taking out the entire RVSF base with a pistol, taking the flag and rifle sprinting out of the base with the same pistol, without ammunition, before anyone has time to respawn, to go on to score the flag that wins the game.
Thanks given by:
(18 May 13, 12:31AM)Hellspell Wrote: Heskey

Da fuq did I just read?
Thanks given by:
(16 May 13, 09:49PM)Hellspell Wrote:
thats hard to say. but i know what you mean and i was joking btw. ;) i think there is still a big gap between the Premier League and the Bundesliga, even if we dominate europe this year. the main problem over here is the money from the tv stations and if i look at the thread title i dont see a chance that we can close that gap within the next years. but hey, all that counts is that we will fucking rock Wembley next week. :D
Thanks given by:
Sadly, the Bundesliga is underrated :(
Thanks given by: