Windows Users
I was just wondering..... Does anyone really use the User Account Control(UAC)? Ive messed around with Linux, and love it. I have not had the opportunity to play around with MAC's yet, but if your PC is protected already, what is the purpose of this shitty service. <(UAC)
Thanks given by:
Disable it, especially if you're the only user on the machine. Its just an annoyance and can even prevent some applications from running properly.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windo...nt-control
Thanks given by:
I did a while ago, but I did a restore and it re-enabled it and I forgot how annoying it was. I downloaded TS3 again and went to install it and it popped up and RAGED me a little :p.
Thanks given by:
UAC is shit, its still shit on windows 8. It's comodo that always asks me nowdays, but it doesnt dim the screen and make you answer unlike UAC
Thanks given by:
Sorry for my late response:

I agree with Jg99. UAC doesn't really help much anymore because of the following reasons:
A: Smart viruses can bypass Windows UAC.
B: Most users don't even pay attention to the UAC popups anymore and just click on the "yes" button without even reading what the UAC is trying to say.
C: It's really annoying. :D

I suggest getting an antivirus that has its own UAC built in such as Comodo or Kaspersky. At least if a virus attempts to bypass their UAC, the virus will be suspended by the antivirus until you decide what to do with it. In most cases the antivirus will have a popup with choices such as "Delete, Quarantine, and Sandbox".

I also might add that antivirus programs like Comodo have configurations, which you can set so if any unsigned/unknown program tries to load, they will either be loaded in a virtual environment so your physical hard drive cannot be harmed, OR you can set the config to just block any unknown programs that try to run which I do not recommend as AssaultCube is considered "unsigned".

I hope this helps.
Thanks given by:
Ohh it helps, thx. I just wanted to see how much every other window user was annoyed with it at some point. I've always disabled it until the unfortunate "restore". It reared it's head back up an caught me off guard :p
Thanks given by:
dont disable it.
Thanks given by:
(25 Apr 13, 08:55PM)CharlyMurphie Wrote: I was just wondering..... Does anyone really use the User Account Control(UAC)? Ive messed around with Linux, and love it. I have not had the opportunity to play around with MAC's yet, but if your PC is protected already, what is the purpose of this shitty service. <(UAC)

Stick with the 'nix's ;)

Remember that one of the biggest things that influences your GUI experience in Linux, is the Desktop Environment.

What are you using? The biggest competitors are:
* Gnome 2 (historically, the most popular).
* Gnome 3 (some people dislike this because it's not as customisable as gnome 2, however it actually is if you're willing to tweak it the hard way... keep in mind, gnome 3 is in its infancy and will get better (if you haven't guessed, I like gnome 3 best)).
* KDE (I've always found KDE slow and buggy, myself - used to be Gnome's biggest competitor).
* Unity (Ubuntu's new thing, I really don't like it).
* XFCE (lightweight desktop, it's nice, but it's definitely light)
* LXDE
* Enlightenment
* MATE (fork of gnome2... I'd expect it to become bloated and buggy accordingly).
* Cinnamon (fork of gnome3... supposed to fix the issues people don't like).
* Razor-qt (MS windows clone?)

Those are the most popular ones, there's others too. My advice, research them a bit and then give them a go if you like what you see.
Thanks given by:
LXDE <3
Not too sexy though.
Thanks given by: