Assault Cube on a Mac
What kinda specs does AC requires if you want to play at a high graphics rate and a good fps?

Something in AC is eating my power, because the fans always start blowing while playing Assault Cube, even at medium or good graphics.
On my 2009 MacBook you could say, no prob. But I've the same on my Mac Pro, which has 8 cores @ 2.8GHz and 14GB ram, only an older graphics card with 'only' 512MB ram. Shouldn't this be fine to play AC with 'insane' graphics?

I've seen playing people on netbooks powering a 24" screen without having a single frame of lag...

Checking out the memory and CPU on my Mac Pro it isn't even using 100% of a single core, and clearly under the 14GB ram. So is AC eating the graphics card of my Mac Pro?
Thanks given by:
You should be able to play ac perfectly fine on those kind of specs
when i started ac i played on a Pentium 3, 256mb ram, 32mb ATI Radeon 7000.. that got me a stable 70fps
Thanks given by:
(22 Mar 13, 10:12AM)XFA Wrote: You should be able to play ac perfectly fine on those kind of specs
when i started ac i played on a Pentium 3, 256mb ram, 32mb ATI Radeon 7000.. that got me a stable 70fps

Which graphic settings where you using?
Because from the moment I choose for 'High' graphics I start lagging...
Thanks given by:
I keep it on low, what graphics card do you have?
Thanks given by:
NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GT with 512 MB of GDDR3 memory
Thanks given by:
Do you use /maxfps?
Thanks given by:
Nope, I don't...
First time I hear about that. What's a normal FPS?
Thanks given by:
/maxfps 125
type it in game and hit enter.
Thanks given by:
I played now at 125 fps, but still the fans start blowing after 2 mins...
Thanks given by:
is your laptop properly ventilated? most macbooks/pros have the fan exhausts on the bottom of the machine. If you have it sitting on a piece of cloth or even a table its very likely the fan will turn on when playing any game. if you find the fan exhausts and elevate the computer slightly so they are able to "breathe" (with books or something similar), this problem may go away or at least be abated.
Thanks given by:
(22 Mar 13, 03:26PM)Waffles Wrote: is your laptop properly ventilated? most macbooks/pros have the fan exhausts on the bottom of the machine. If you have it sitting on a piece of cloth or even a table its very likely the fan will turn on when playing any game. if you find the fan exhausts and elevate the computer slightly so they are able to "breathe" (with books or something similar), this problem may go away or at least be abated.

True, but my Mac Pro is very well ventilated and clean... It stands in a room where the temps are always under 20 degrees, especially now in the winter.
Thanks given by:
You should try to find the best (lower) FPS that doesn't alter the gameplay (no lags at all). Start with 60 (some bugs might appears on the screen) if there are some issues, try with 65...
Until you find the lower playable FPS.
For the fans, mine are always at 90% of their powers in-game (after 5 mins or even less) to prevent any problem.

I don't know if Mac have some fan sorfwares, but it could be the solution.
Thanks given by:
I forgot when this started, but macs have two GPUs, one integrated and one not integrated. It switches between these as needed. I would not be surprised that the fans turn on to cool down the non-integrated GPU, or if it didn't switch it would definitely need to cool down the integrated. All is normal, if anything you should start getting worried if the fans don't blow.
Thanks given by:
(22 Mar 13, 10:14PM)Ronald_Reagan Wrote: I forgot when this started, but macs have two GPUs, one integrated and one not integrated. It switches between these as needed. I would not be surprised that the fans turn on to cool down the non-integrated GPU, or if it didn't switch it would definitely need to cool down the integrated. All is normal, if anything you should start getting worried if the fans don't blow.

That's correct for al 15 and 17 inch MacBook Pro's.
I've a 13" MacBook which has only an integrated GPU. And a Mac Pro which has of course a discrete GPU
Thanks given by: