Initial config: TOSOK tourney in April
Hello!

I've been rolling around the idea of a TOSOK tournament for a few months now. Here's what I'm thinking:

1. Two parts
a. 5v5 or 4v4 (or 3v3?)
b. 1v1 or 2v2

2. Basic tree tournament setup.
a. Teams should really be randomly generated...ideas?
b. Known 'pros' should be seeded to keep teams as fair as possible?

3. Single elimination
a. Losers branch a possibility!

4. Match info
a. 15 minutes
b. At least one spec/team
c. Maps TBD (obviously, desert, douze are included LOL)

All matches to be hosted in my LAN, although I do have some other webspace as a backup. Another double backup would be nice if anyone is interested...

Please give me your thoughts. I don't know if this has been tried before!
Thanks given by:
5v5 and 4v4 for tosok is too much :p AC maps are not big enough. 3v3 seems ok

also maybe it is just me but I would prefer play with my mates than with random players.
and what is TBD?

gl btw :)
Thanks given by:
To Be Determined

maybe...
Thanks given by:
(07 Feb 13, 10:58PM)pineapple Wrote: All matches to be hosted in my LAN

TOSOK

TOURNEY

LAN

ac is confirmed for dead gg no re
Thanks given by:
(08 Feb 13, 01:18AM)Cemer Wrote:
(07 Feb 13, 10:58PM)pineapple Wrote: All matches to be hosted in my LAN

TOSOK

TOURNEY

LAN

ac is confirmed for dead gg no re

LOL. Normally, I would be you. But I have 80-100mbps service. I haven't had one complaint yet, and i have had a server up for a few months now. I have another opteron 165 rig about up and running again, so the pair of those should handle like 50 servers haha. AC server IO packets are so tiny...

Quote:5v5 and 4v4 for tosok is too much :p AC maps are not big enough. 3v3 seems ok

also maybe it is just me but I would prefer play with my mates than with random players.

I don't want there to be like... 3 good teams vs all noobs. That's the only reason for a team lottery.

There are maps that can handle larger groups... but in all reality I have no idea where the sweet spot is. This is something that needs hammered out.

Thanks for the input!
Thanks given by:
most ac games are 2v2 and 3v3. there are the VERY rare (and some call this redundant) 4v4s, 5v5s. anything 6v6 and above is absolute garbage in a competitive assaultcube- it just wont work well
Thanks given by:
(08 Feb 13, 03:47AM)Cemer Wrote: most ac games are 2v2 and 3v3. there are the VERY rare (and some call this redundant) 4v4s, 5v5s. anything 6v6 and above is absolute garbage in a competitive assaultcube- it just wont work well
anything above 4v4
Thanks given by:
Nah 4v4s can be tolerable at times, I think 5v5 is the limit.

GL with this tournament.
Thanks given by:
5v5 can be cool but you have to pick a decent sized map
Thanks given by:
Nice idea :)

Quote:2. Basic tree tournament setup.
a. Teams should really be randomly generated...ideas?
b. Known 'pros' should be seeded to keep teams as fair as possible?

You list every player who join the tournament .
You make two list ,"pro" and "no pro "
You attribute a number 1 to x pro
You attribute a number 1 to x no pro

You choose random who is with who ....
Thanks given by:
me no pro :/
Thanks given by:
(08 Feb 13, 01:03PM)Edward Wrote: me no pro :/

That's not what everybody else says...
Thanks given by:
many Wrote:most ac games are 2v2 and 3v3. there are the VERY rare (and some call this redundant) 4v4s, 5v5s. anything 6v6 and above is absolute garbage in a competitive assaultcube- it just wont work well
--
anything above 4v4
--
Nah 4v4s can be tolerable at times, I think 5v5 is the limit.

GL with this tournament.
--
5v5 can be cool but you have to pick a decent sized map

Seems pretty mixed. 3v3 or 4v4... I like 4v4, but I can see the merit in 3v3. Hmm....

888 Wrote:You list every player who join the tournament .
You make two list ,"pro" and "no pro "
You attribute a number 1 to x pro
You attribute a number 1 to x no pro

You choose random who is with who ....

Yeah I was considering a function to do all the work. Unless this rig develops AI, it'll be east to code up, and hell i could even post it for others to use in the future. I haven't coded in anything other than html/css and a bit of php and java since second year of college, so this should be fun haha.

I don't want to seem like I'm cherry picking anything, ya know? Transparency... or total opposite of big gov D; (sorry)

Also, if you can post some maps y'all like... I'd like to get a headstart on that. I'm not set on April... it could be in two weeks for all I care lol.

Thanks all!
Thanks given by:
4v4 for took is more than manageable and will be something that hasn't been done in a tournament yet. I suggest finding a reputable good player to help you judge participants skill somewhat fairly. It'd be nice even to have it be custom maps/ new maps in official package. In tosok there are no pickups so this should add another enjoyable variable to the mayhem. Some good maps can be recommended by others more suited to the task. I personally hate tosok but I'd participate in this if it was different enough.
Thanks given by:
(09 Feb 13, 03:42AM)Waffles Wrote: 4v4 for took is more than manageable and will be something that hasn't been done in a tournament yet. I suggest finding a reputable good player to help you judge participants skill somewhat fairly. It'd be nice even to have it be custom maps/ new maps in official package. In tosok there are no pickups so this should add another enjoyable variable to the mayhem. Some good maps can be recommended by others more suited to the task. I personally hate tosok but I'd participate in this if it was different enough.

Nice idea on the maps. An official package is a great thought!

The skill judging part is going to be time-consuming. It is objective enough, but subjective enough as well (if that makes sense?). What about a round robin before hand to attain seed for the tourney? That's almost another tournament in itself... Hmm..

I was thinking 4v4 after some internal team debate (me and me haha). I really like going 1v3 and coming up with the win even if I'm doing poorly for the round. Haha, so there is indeed some bias.
Thanks given by:
Well obviously 1v3 favors the one dude. Round robin is a good idea, it was used in B}'s tourney and was somewhat effective at providing legitimate seeding.
Thanks given by:
A round robin it is. Will update OP with signup information!
Thanks given by: