Programming in different languages
I have a question to all you programmers out there, especially those of you who speak another language besides English:

After taking a JAVA course in 10th grade, I've always wondered...do people of different nationalities use different programming languages suited to their spoken language? Or is most programming done in English?

I just thought it would be harder for a non-english speaking programmer to program using english terms that he does not know the actual meaning of.

Pretty offtopic but I figured a lot of you program for recreational purposes or for an occupation. Just a random question :D
Thanks given by:
99.99% of the time, the answer is no with the exceptions of comments. Here's an example of one of the script files I extracted from a random Japanese game. The one thing I will say is that sometimes, they might not always use the same naming conventions, but for the most part they tend to be understandable. Also, the comments don't make sense in this case unless you actually convert it to utf-8.
[Image: 1CfCN.png]
whoever actually guesses what this is from gets bonus points
Thanks given by:
Many times the names of variables and such will be in the native language of the project (not necessarily the developer writing the code, many developers may work on the same project). Obviously, this only really happens in languages that use the same alphabet English does.
Thanks given by:
That's right RR, variables could be declared in your native language in order to get a better understanding code. I dunno how do russians develop because of their alphabet, but in spain you should know basic english if you wanna develop. In addition, i always thought that developing is a battle you should fight by yourself, i mean, you have to look up for a solution over the 'English' internet, so mandatorily a good dev has to be a 'basic english speaker' at least.
Thanks given by:
Firstly, it depends on ISO(rules) in the company where you work. Secondly, if you can choose, you should use English. There are many reasons for it.
- your classes, data entities, analytic stuff will be prepared for presentations, this means learning terminology step by step, therefore better searching with English terms on google ;)
- you can publish your code on international forum where is more readers
- my opinion: everything is already programmed somewhere, you just need to find it, the translation to English will improve you code
- filtration stupid co-workers ;)
etc.
Thanks given by:
I code fully in English, possibly due to the fact that I picked my first language from an English source. Also, everything else besides English, in programming, just feels weird (or doesn't make any sense) to me. My notes, comments and everything are in it as well.

In the wild, I mostly see English (or sometimes "English") variables coupled with native comments, if the project is not fully English.

If tech world was speaking ,say, Russian, we'd all be coding and speaking in Russian. Or at least I think we would.
Thanks given by:
I personally code in english for the simple reason it is pretty straight forward to explain something the code does, also it saves me time in typing, since most of the words in my native language are shorter in english, and we all know that time = money.

In my scarce experience, 70% of the times, what makes the code truly understandable are the comments and the name you give to your variables, hell, even if you don't comment your code but you do give self explanatory variable names the code is pretty straight forward to read.
Thanks given by:
In school, when we code stuff, we code a lot in dutch. But we also learn the english codes for the same purpose. Its just my teacher sucks in english so we do most in dutch :)
Thanks given by:
kk so for the most part its in english. that's kinda what i though, although i think it would be a bitch for people who dont speak it to learn to memorize all the commands lol
Thanks given by:
in Poland, we can use any variable name that we like to, except it must belong with paradigmates (convencion of upper case letters/numbers). Most my friend mix our native and english(enableZegar, showWynik), i prefer use only english even in comments.
Thanks given by: