Poll: guns in USA
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
There's no problem
20.00%
10 20.00%
The public shouldn't have guns
34.00%
17 34.00%
Stricter licenses are required
30.00%
15 30.00%
Education is at fault
16.00%
8 16.00%
Total 50 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

guns
In light of the sandy hook shooting I was wondering what American's actual opinions are on the subject.

Perhaps there may be a bias in that this is an fps forum, but I hope not.
Thanks given by:
No guns for civilians / or at the least only allow single shot(no magazines) hunting rifles over a certain length. This takes away concealability(outside of obvious trenchcoats), and by the time they grab another bullet and reload, they'll possibly be jumped and shanked over and over by people who would be mowed down by semi/full auto guns. And steep punishments for anyone caught with illegal guns/or selling them. Black market gone. gg.
Thanks given by:
(17 Dec 12, 05:44PM)Hellspell Wrote: Perhaps there may be a bias in that this is an fps forum, but I hope not.

IRL killers are stupid, there is video games to unload the violence. :p
Thanks given by:
Not being in american i dont want to alter the poll.
Found this on Facebook though, Just FYI

[Image: 546750_546555575372168_1015017814_n.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Being a Canadian, we have very different gun laws up here. As far as I understand it, this is pretty much the summary:
1. Handguns can only be used for target practice. You can only fire them at a firing range, and you need to inform the police of the route you are taking, and at what time you are going when you transport your handgun. Even stopping for gas is illegal.
2. Any rifles with a caliber over .22" can only have a 5 round magazine. You can have as big a magazine as you like for .22" and under.
3. Civilians can't own fully-automatic weapons, period.
4. There are two classes of gun licenses: restricted and non-restricted. Non-restricted are hunting rifles and shotguns and such, while restricted firearms covers handguns and civilian models of military guns. Buying a gun always requires at least a non-restricted license. Restricted licenses are harder to get.

This being said, the US needs more than just stricter gun laws: they need a shift in the way of thinking. People believe it is their "God-given right" to bear arms. This is just crazy. Owning guns is a privilege, not a right. People don't need to protect themselves from the government by stocking up on guns. Realistically, a civilian has absolutely no need for a handgun, or for a civilian model of a military weapon. Hunting rifles and shotguns have a real purpose and a use, and even then the purchase of these weapons needs to be tightly regulated.

I think that tighter gun laws, and a shift in the thinking about guns, will help stop prevent tragedies like this. That being said, it won't prevent murders. I live in Edmonton. Sometimes people call in Stabmonton, since we have the highest number of murders of any city in Canada (and we are 2-3 times smaller than Vancouver and Toronto), and many of those occur by stabbing. Regulating guns more will stop tragedies like school shootings, but it won't slow down the murder rate.

Just my 2 cents. You can take it or leave it, just my opinion.
Thanks given by:
If Americans kill themselves with guns, it will be easier for us to conquer Canada and control most of the drinking water resources of the planet [Image: 36.gif]
Thanks given by:
Gun supporters on the news said more people should have guns and restrictions should be less.
[Image: 286-retards-we-all-know-one.jpg]

Anonymous should hack & release all personal information on NRA members until something gets done.
Thanks given by:
Your typical firearm around the time the 2nd Amendment was signed:
[Image: A-P-Eng-1700.jpg]
Some single-round, shitty flintlock pistol. Accuracy: drunken.

Today it's perfectly legal in most states to own one of these:
[Image: 46149.jpg]
.223 caliber, 30 round magazine semi-auto. Accuracy: this particular model is "optic ready".
Thanks given by:
Fucking 'Mericans.
Thanks given by:
God Bless America
Thanks given by:
The problem is multi-faceted. It is not just a lack of gun laws here in the states but also a lack of enforcement. Even gun advocates will tell you we need to do a better job of enforcing the laws that are already in place.
Thanks given by:
(17 Dec 12, 11:55PM)#M|A#Wolf Wrote: Fucking 'Mericans.

and what should i say to this? fucking immigrants?

it's not like we're all socially right gun-toting rednecks. though i'm from Canada originally, when i voted in polls this year (i live in the states now), i voted a straight left ticket. i believe in gun control, rights to gays, and a separation of church and state.

keep in mind there are a lot of Americans here they don't all have the same beliefs but they all don't appreciate condescending comments.

/ontopic

AC Slater's point is dead on. the constitution must be open to interpretation as we move through different periods of history
Thanks given by:
Wolf was joking. He loves us.
Thanks given by:
its something i take seriously.
Thanks given by:
The shooter was 20... isn't the age to own all the lethal shit 21? Either way, fuck him and fuck all that shit. What are you going to ban? Fuckers will get their shit legally or illegally IT DOESNT FUCKING MATTER. The mistake is in believing that change is possible. Take away guns for the law-abiding citizens out there. GOOOOOOD IDEA. Because that will stop the Black Market from providing! Fucking morons. Kid wants to shoot up a school. Kid is likely ten times beyond fucked to even consider such an idea. Sure I bet legality will really MATTER. Faggot is likely going to kill himself... Want to try a corpse? Absentia is some reeeeal good closure... F U C K I N G MORONS!!!!!!!!!!!

Humanity cannot answer the question of why it kill's itself on a daily basis. It never will because it's too fucking RETARDED. Kneejerk bullshit faggomatronics like this cockamamie lysander nutsack draining fucknancy crap about gun laws only add to the stupid. For every psycho son of a fuckwit out there, there are two or three hell yeah Americans bearing some real fking arms, ready to frag the shit out of any and all cunt whoppers like Mr. Lanza.

I prefer swords and various medieval implements of death but still. Stupid needs to be addressed wherever possible.
Thanks given by:
Sad to listen this Mg, i can not be more disagree with you man. Cuz in ALL countries Fuckers can get their shit legally or illegally, but these 'incidents' just happen in America (99% of cases).
Thanks given by:
If you'd asked me a year ago, I would have given you the hardline right-to-bear-arms speech, but by now I'm doubting myself, and just because of gradual change, not a kneejerk reaction to this shooting.

Here's my take on it: Sure, criminals tend to ignore laws. But, as a general rule, the greater a pain in the ass it is to do something, the fewer people will do it. Think of all the people who "would like" to learn a language, work for themselves, travel the world, be this or that -- but don't get past the fantasizing because it's too hard. Similarly, perhaps there are those in, for the example at hand, the UK who would go a-shootin' if the implements were suitable and readily available. Thing is they generally aren't, because in the UK you pretty much just have Uncle's duck hunting side-by-side that has to be kept locked away, as opposed to Pa's 1911 and tacticool AR-15 that he can leave lying around the house in America with loaded magazine, round chambered, and safety off for all anyone cares. So maybe what's happening here is just that laziness is truly pervasive, affecting even criminal ventures to discourage those who would have to put forth a sincere effort.

In other words: Most of the fuckers don't really want it, just like most of the fuckers who have dreams don't want them fulfilled badly enough, so if it's too awfully difficult for them to pull off they'll be content to seethe quietly and never do anything.
Thanks given by:
MorganKell likes those Iron Maidens.
Thanks given by:
(18 Dec 12, 03:17PM)MorganKell Wrote: ****ers will get their shit legally or illegally IT DOESNT ****ING MATTER. The mistake is in believing that change is possible. Take away guns for the law-abiding citizens out there. GOOOOOOD IDEA. Because that will stop the Black Market from providing!

The shooters at Columbine, Virgina Tech, and now at Sandy Hook were not criminals. They were not gangsters. They weren't mafia. They were sickos who, without access to guns, would have been powerless to do anything. They were seemingly ordinary people who would never have been able to obtain guns illegally. They had no connections to any arms dealers. Had these people simply not had access to the guns that they did, they would not have been able to go on the rampages they did.

The problems with guns is that they take away some of the shock and guilt of killing someone. If you stab someone to death you need to physically stick a knife into them over and over. To shoot someone you just pull a trigger. You can distance yourself from what you are doing.

These people would not have gone on these rampages if they didn't have easy access to guns. Would they have stabbed someone? Maybe. Probably. But they wouldn't have walked into schools and killed dozens.
Thanks given by:
Fucking Americans (i am american).

I will say this, it is very clear that there needs to be better measures to prevent crime from happening. Simply limiting gun ownership will not stop deaths or tragedy, especially in this culture.

It should also be pointed out that there is no "left" or "right" in american politics. Gun ownership is something that will not change drastically, although Obama is trying to push through an assault weapons ban, and the U.N. has a small arms treaty in the works. One day americans may actually see a ban on weapons, and then there will surely be a vacuum. I'm curious how many people that are anti-gun have been to more terrifying places where illegal gun violence is standard, or been to war. It's easy to sit and make accusations and predictions (as i am doing), it's another to be part of a solution.
Thanks given by:
My neighborhood could be the setting of the next Grand Theft Auto game. Murders weekly/monthly. 2 on my street this year alone. We have guns in the house. And I'm anti-guns. <3 Don't see what's so bad about limiting to single shot hunting rifles though. The people who kill 100 intruders every year to protect their families(every nra member has this story) can still do so.

It's not like the constitution was made while having armed British guys running around your village 24/7 or anything like that.
Thanks given by:
You could probably guess my stance on this issue already (past comments and such). But I think we can all agree: Hunting Safety Course +1, Human Intelligence -9001:

http://www.oregonlive.com/portland/index...ook_t.html
Thanks given by:
Avg. numver of gun related crimes in Aus: 90
Avg. number of gun related crimes in Usa: 9000

That is per year

Thanks given by:
The one pro to every civilian packing heat is this won't happen to us.

[Image: Ger_OCC_Map_01.jpg]

Taken over due to millions of people charging Germans with wine bottles instead of guns.
Thanks given by:
Apparently the NRA have the solution to school shootings. To provide every school with armed guards. Because that's how the rest of the world do it isn't it?
Thanks given by:
Who will pay for these guards? The schools? The schools already don't have enough money to buy some necessities.

Also, guns wont also help fight guns. In a crowed environment like that, the defense will have a huge disadvantage. Not only are they taken surprise, but they have only one person they want to shoot. Whereas the offense seems to not care about who gets shot.

Lets take Aurora, it was a smoke filled dark theater, and the shooter had body armor on. How would someone else without a ton of training successfully take down the shooter with a concealed gun? I see it just as likely that they might've shot someone they didn't want to. Just because you conceal carry doesn't mean you are cut out or able to use it in that situation.
Thanks given by:
inb4 "Make children take firearms classes to learn to use guns"
Thanks given by:
The gun-nuts think that more guns is the answer. Of course.
Thanks given by:
(22 Dec 12, 10:16AM)DrauL Wrote: inb4 "Make children take firearms classes to learn to use guns"
this
this
this

moving into zarj's house if this happens.
Thanks given by:
(22 Dec 12, 02:47PM)Nightmare Wrote:
(22 Dec 12, 10:16AM)DrauL Wrote: inb4 "Make children take firearms classes to learn to use guns"
this
this
this

moving into zarj's house if this happens.

I said inb4 ;P
Thanks given by: