Multiplayer maps
^
How can Sniper@camp and new twintowers allowed in multiplayer (Because there are some requirements for playing a map in multipalyer)

/offtopic I don't like the requirements.
Thanks given by:
They're bypassing the map rescritations.

There will be more measures of secuirty to the map.
Thanks given by:
They pass in map rescritatons??

Quote:You cannot have a high ceil mean value (not greater than 30 cubes over all map)
- You cannot have pick ups too close each other (the exceptions are health pack and pistol clips, which can stay 3 cubes)

Are you sure? Because I think the map has too many hight ceil value and many pickups too close each other.
Thanks given by:
They are smarter than you think.
Thanks given by:
Have never played online?
Thanks given by:
Requirements are a good thing for AC and all it's people wanting the game to evolve in a decent manner and sometimes bound to be integrated in the official package.
On the other hand you can't really restrict what people do with their own servers, if they fancy doing funnyweirdmyhouseforreal or uglyfullbrightnonsenselaggywiththousandmapmodels sort of map what the heck, for me as long as they stay at the bottom of my server list I do not care much.
Thanks given by:
The fun on AC is free map creating and sharing , those requeriments make everybody plays the same map ... making they boring.

I think there are more people that dislike the requirements than people that like it. But in the new version (1.1.0.5) The devs will add more restrictions or not?
Thanks given by:
(05 Dec 12, 02:23AM)DShot Wrote: The fun on AC is free map creating and sharing , those requeriments make everybody plays the same map ... making they boring.
I promise you, the map restrictions were not added to the game to make it any less fun. Merely, they were implemented to encourage level designers to create maps that fit AssaultCube's gameplay style and performed well on lower-ended machines- Essentially, to make the game live up to what the home page advertises.

Quote:The devs will add more restrictions or not?
I think the focus is more towards fixing the current restrictions so that they work properly and aren't bypassable via glitches, although I could be wrong.
Thanks given by:
nobody like the requirements but devs are almighty.

Also what are 'maps that fit AssaultCube's gameplay style' ? Biased small maps which only fit for 2v2? I see why restrictions are important now ...

AC is the only fps I know where clan matches can be played with less than 8 players. But try a 4v4 on arid... In fact the only decent map for 4v4 is Arabian (and maybe depot~~)
Thanks given by:
I love the requirements. I'd also be interested to see enough players to consistently play 4v4 cms. I think the issues you see with the game are your own edward, so please do not speak for everybody.

The restrictions are great for creativity. Sure there are some well done gema maps and a few customs pre-1.1 that don't fit the restrictions, but they are in place to make the game run smoother.
Thanks given by:
yes you are right. I badly expressed myself. Just replace 'nobody' by 'most people I know'.

Btw each time I say that clan matches should be 4v4 on decent sized maps, people agree with. Maybe some people disagree with it and think 2v2 is better than 4v4 for team modes. I would be interested to know how they can defend their point of view if one day I see one of them on a server.

The last 4v4 I have done was few weeks ago but it is hard to find a 2v2 so 4v4 is just a dream. There is no place for competitive rules (as for other fps game. eg blackops ...) with such a poor competitive scene (IMO). Too bad.
Thanks given by:
Thinking again , the requirements (For some maps) are good , but all my maps doesn't satisfy the requirements , and they're very good , I think its very restrict.

Also : Small maps will be allowed to play in MP?
Thanks given by:
Thanks given by:
If anything, I'd vote that the restrictions shouldn't apply in private/match modes.
Thanks given by:
(05 Dec 12, 06:49PM)InitialSAW Wrote: ...
I don't actually mind this, but it should only happen in private mode and not match mode.
Thanks given by:
(05 Dec 12, 05:02AM)Edward Wrote: nobody like the requirements but devs are almighty.

Also what are 'maps that fit AssaultCube's gameplay style' ? Biased small maps which only fit for 2v2? I see why restrictions are important now ...

AC is the only fps I know where clan matches can be played with less than 8 players. But try a 4v4 on arid... In fact the only decent map for 4v4 is Arabian (and maybe depot~~)
Find another game that allows you to play twintowers-like maps in clan match then.
That is not what assault cube is made for.

And many official maps are really fun to play with more than 12, 14 players, and perfectly fit "AC's gameplay style".
Rifle@campers maps do not; deal with it.
Thanks given by:
(10 Dec 12, 12:56PM)Luc@s Wrote:
(05 Dec 12, 05:02AM)Edward Wrote: nobody like the requirements but devs are almighty.

Find another game that allows you to play twintowers-like maps in clan match then.
That is not what assault cube is made for.

And many official maps are really fun to play with more than 12, 14 players, and perfectly fit "AC's gameplay style".
Rifle@campers maps do not; deal with it.
should I care? you dont even know what are clan matches. good luck playing arid cm with 12 or 14 players.
Thanks given by:
(11 Dec 12, 08:52AM)Edward Wrote: ...
CMs/inters with more than eight people aren't considered as serious. Some people would consider six as the maximum for a serious CM/inter.
EDIT: Oh yeah, what they (vv) said.
Thanks given by:
(11 Dec 12, 08:52AM)Edward Wrote: should I care? you dont even know what are clan matches. good luck playing arid cm with 12 or 14 players.

Lucas played probably a thousand more matches than you, and it's the only dev who really played the game in matches, inters, mods, publics, ladders, mapping, so if you think he's not objective...go unload your rageagainstdevs on another one that deserve it.

edit: first
Thanks given by:
(05 Dec 12, 05:02AM)Edward Wrote: should I care? you dont even know what are clan matches. good luck playing arid cm with 12 or 14 players.

Lucas played more clan matches than you, and in a more competitive way. Learn your facts before, please.
Thanks given by:
i third that. he may not be my fav dev but he's definitely the hardest trying to get the balance right with all his gaming experience in AC.
Thanks given by:
http://forum.cubers.net/thread-3258-post...l#pid56507

my best argument
Thanks given by:
(11 Dec 12, 11:48AM)Orynge Wrote: CMs/inters with more than eight people aren't considered as serious. Some people would consider six as the maximum for a serious CM/inter.
EDIT: Oh yeah, what they (vv) said.

AC is your first fps right? I played some other fps before (cs1.5 anyone?). First time I see 6 people max for a cm sorry.

(11 Dec 12, 01:33PM).ExodusS* Wrote: Lucas played probably a thousand more matches than you, and it's the only dev who really played the game in matches, inters, mods, publics, ladders, mapping, so if you think he's not objective...go unload your rageagainstdevs on another one that deserve it.

The number of clan matches is irrelevant even if I wont bet he played thousand of clan matches more than I did (I play almost everyday since 2 years now...). But you have a point and I wasn't aware about that. Started with 1.1.0.4 and never seen him in clan match so lol maybe I should 'learn my facts' but 1.1.0.4 is kinda different than 1.0.

Maybe you are right but I am always anxious when someone try to explain me what a game is for. Also I know the guy and I took the twintower like maps as a personal attack and I answered in an appropriated condescending way.

c are not played the way they should be (imo). If you have another point of view please share (with valid arguments). Why 3v3 or 2v2 are better team mode than 4v4? And why bigger maps wont fit with AC gameplay? We cant do smaller than arid btw. Also I dont think AC is a competitive game.
Thanks given by:
(11 Dec 12, 11:13PM)Edward Wrote: AC is your first fps right? I played some other fps before (cs1.5 anyone?). First time I see 6 people max for a cm sorry.
I'm not sure what you're trying to say, here. Also, while AC was my first FPS that I played online (as of three years ago), I've played plenty of them since.

(11 Dec 12, 11:13PM)Edward Wrote: Also I dont think AC is a competitive game.
Look around. There is still a well-sized group of people that play this game competitively and actually care about where the competitive scene goes.
Thanks given by:
(05 Dec 12, 02:23AM)DShot Wrote: The fun on AC is free map creating and sharing , those requeriments make everybody plays the same map ... making they boring.

I think there are more people that dislike the requirements than people that like it. But in the new version (1.1.0.5) The devs will add more restrictions or not?

1.1.0.5?
Thanks given by:
(11 Dec 12, 11:13PM)Edward Wrote: c are not played the way they should be (imo). If you have another point of view please share (with valid arguments). Why 3v3 or 2v2 are better team mode than 4v4? And why bigger maps wont fit with AC gameplay? We cant do smaller than arid btw. Also I dont think AC is a competitive game.

Long story somewhat short:

AC was designed for about 6 players max from the start. Anything beyond that will cause more or less issues regarding graphics in first place. You can't have huge maps (engine can't handle those well), and therefore there's only limited space to actually play on. At this point things become gameplay related.

I'd say 4vs4 could still work on maps like ac_arabian, but anything beyond that isn't going to leave enough space for tactics, at least when it comes to CTF. Keep in mind, the flag spot is usually the spawn spot. Picture an 10vs10 CTF on AC. You take out 3 to 5 enemies while rushing to their flag and them all are going to spawn just when you arrive there. No chance getting out there in one piece.
Thanks given by:
8 playerslots per server like makke wanted <3
*with extra room for specs.

This is the reason pub players are bad at matches. ;)
Thanks given by:
(12 Dec 12, 05:52AM)Orynge Wrote: I'm not sure what you're trying to say, here. Also, while AC was my first FPS that I played online (as of three years ago), I've played plenty of them since.

Team mode (at least in cm) cant be 2v2 or 3v3 because it is too random :p I mean each double frag (which is something that occurs a lot in AC) you can take down the whole enemy team and score a flag (5 seconds to score a flag on arid with ar trolololol). In 4v4, a flag is more difficult to score and tactics and teamwork are way more important.
Look at all other popular fps (eg cs or cod). I know AC is not cod or cs but keep in mind that we are talking about team modes. CTF is not an AC game mode only :p

(12 Dec 12, 05:52AM)Orynge Wrote: Look around. There is still a well-sized group of people that play this game competitively and actually care about where the competitive scene goes.

Yep and I claim being one of them. I don't care since when people play AC. I am playing it right now and not many people do it tbh. Also you can try to play in a competitive way but that doesn't make the game competitive. There is some new random amateur cup years after years (since I am here) and random clan matches. Many kids who have enough time to play AC or older players playing it from time to time.

(12 Dec 12, 12:35PM)Mr.Floppy Wrote: AC was designed for about 6 players max from the start. Anything beyond that will cause more or less issues regarding graphics in first place. You can't have huge maps (engine can't handle those well), and therefore there's only limited space to actually play on. At this point things become gameplay related.
You have a good point but maps like arabian or depot (a bit too small but still ok) are good enough for me. Stellar seems cool too even if there is many boxes to hide behind and if it is higly rvsf sided (only played 1 inter on it so cant really say). I didnt test other new maps yet. Also I don't think this game was designed for 6 players max in cm from the start. You gotta share your sources.
Thanks given by:
Interesting how you're questioning my point based on your personal opinion, which comes with no reference neither. Really interesting.

However, ask the original dev-team-members (drian, flowtron, makke) what they had in mind when starting AC. That's where I got my information from. I'd put a dozen links here if only the old vanilla forums weren't gone. In fact it's been makke's obligatory reply on any "i want bigger maps"-request.
Thanks given by:
Okay, I think I understand where you're coming from now.
Thanks given by: