Writing/publishing a book!
So, I'm trying out to write a book about a story I have had in my mind for about...ten years so far, and trust me, it's something awesome. Has anyone else ever written/published a book/romance so far?

Is it possible to publish it for free?
Thanks given by:
the iter is quite long i think, the only way i think is to send the book to all the companies, they alway search talents
Thanks given by:
(19 Nov 12, 11:19PM)Andrez Wrote: Is it possible to publish it for free?

I don't see why not. It's probably just a matter of you formatting your ebook (and creating a kick ass cover!). Amazon and Kindle likely have some program in place for diy publishing. And there's something like Smashwords, which might be exactly what you're looking for.
Thanks given by:
(19 Nov 12, 11:19PM)Andrez Wrote: ...I'm trying out to write a book..

The life and times of Jg99? haha
Thanks given by:
(19 Nov 12, 11:19PM)Andrez Wrote: Is it possible to publish it for free?

Internet
Thanks given by:
No no, you misunderstood... I mean publishing it as an actual book, made of paper, but possibly with no printing and other costs at all...
Thanks given by:
(20 Nov 12, 11:27AM)MykeGregory Wrote:
(19 Nov 12, 11:19PM)Andrez Wrote: ...I'm trying out to write a book..

The life and times of Jg99? haha
Hey man, that is Wolf and I's magnum opus. Don't be stealin' our stories yo!
Thanks given by:
Submit it to some publishing agencies. You will probably get rejected. But if you keep on going it, you might get accepted somewhere.
Thanks given by:
Cool shit, another writer on the board.
Getting hard copies of your work will cost you paper. Go through lulu.com, a seminar I went to run by a lit agent said they are the best bang for your buck. I know nothing about e-book publishing.
Most big, and some small, publishers will not touch a non-solicited manuscript, so try submitting to lit agents first. DO NOT PAY A LIT AGENT TO READ YOUR MANUSCRIPT. Reading fees are bullshit, bullshit, horrible business practice, largely frowned on by the publishing world. If they want a reading fee, say thanks but no thanks and go elsewhere.
Going the small press route is hard because small presses cater to a smaller audience and usually keep their releases in a specific genre (even if they pub lit fiction, they will only touch certain kinds of lit fiction(dirty realism, neo-noir, existentialist, ect)).
You will get no's. A lot. I've received 21 no's and two yes's just on my short fiction. On my novel, I've gotten two no's (each one took 6+ months to get) and waiting to hear back on my third (oh yeah, def a no).
Have fun writing. Don't buy a typewriter, they are a waste of paper. Copious notes, copious amounts of copious notes. Read: Lots and Lots of Notes and NOTES. And movement, any progress is movement, even if all you did for the day was write a paragraph of biography for each character. Hell, even if all you did was sit at the comp facepalming and drinking Southern Comfort and re-ordered plot points. Try to work every day.
Thanks given by:
(20 Nov 12, 06:53PM)fernando Wrote: [...]
You will get no's. A lot. I've received 21 no's and two yes's just on my short fiction. On my novel, I've gotten two no's (each one took 6+ months to get) and waiting to hear back on my third (oh yeah, def a no).
[...]

All solid advice. I've heard of peopling getting 50 or more no's before a yes. You have a much better ratio than them :>
Thanks given by:
my mom wrote a 1000 pages manuscript, got a no and burned it.

she is mad
Thanks given by:
I know someone who works for a publishing company. He's only a few years older than I and he recently co-authored a book for his company. I'm fairly sure it was non-fiction. I don't know anything about the company but the connection is there so if I ever finish my book maybe I could eek out a deal. At the least I'll gain some insight.

That had little to do with this thread.

Andrez what is your book about? Or is the idea so good you're afraid one of us will steal it?
Thanks given by:
(20 Nov 12, 01:55PM)Andrez Wrote: No no, you misunderstood... I mean publishing it as an actual book, made of paper, but possibly with no printing and other costs at all...

no.
producing things cost money, did you know that?
Thanks given by:
I'm pretty sure Andrez meant one or the other: either paying money to publish it in print, OR publishing it electronically for free.

EDIT: Or, what he said down there...
Thanks given by:
(24 Nov 12, 12:48AM)Undead Wrote:
(20 Nov 12, 01:55PM)Andrez Wrote: No no, you misunderstood... I mean publishing it as an actual book, made of paper, but possibly with no printing and other costs at all...

no.
producing things cost money, did you know that?
DUH, really?
I just thought that someone else richer could invest some money on something that could be succesful, by gaining a large percentage of it. I don't know how the fuck this shit works.
Thanks given by:
That's exactly what a publisher is.
Thanks given by: